Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Columbia game        (Topic#5178)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
02-11-07 01:42 PM - Post#30036    

This was my first chance to see Brown play in person this year, and I came away more unimpressed than impressed. Brown does not run this offense well yet - very sloppy, still unsure, few clean passes on the backdoor. Most of the scoring last night came off of deep threes that weren't really generated by movement.

I was also a little disappointed with Robinson's coaching in the second half. Columbia came out in a semi-trapping 1-3-1 halfcourt defense, and Brown did not adjust well to it. Columbia also went on some remarkable runs without any time outs to break the momentum. Brown got few easy looks in the second half when they needed them most. Plus, what's with the refusal to put any rebounders on the line when you're shooting??

The turnovers were a problem, and very frustrating. Brown didn't get any of the loose balls in this one, and some of the TOs were just plain silly. Guys just weren't catching the ball, and there must have been four passes in the second half alone that went to the referee and out of bounds.

Friske continued his disappointing sophomore season. He got manhandled underneath, and wore a look of frustration most of the game. He got yanked at least once by Robinson, and was just getting bounced around.

Another gritty performance by McAndrew, who was everywhere. 26, 4 and 4. Huffman also looked good with 20 and shot the three nicely. Damon also had one of the greatest steals I've seen, guarding the inbounds pass and picking the pass clean. MacDonald didn't do much, but his two buckets were nice back-to-the-basket moves in the paint against Nwachaukwu, and Brown needs to have that as a threat.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
Re: Columbia game
02-11-07 01:55 PM - Post#30037    
    In response to Bruno

I'm wondering if the shortness of the bench isn't a problem, particularly evident if you compare Fri. performances with Sat., even more pronounced on the road.

The Lion King 
Senior

Reg: 11-21-04
02-11-07 05:59 PM - Post#30038    
    In response to Bruno

I was wondering about the free-throw thing too, but Brown seems to have an excellent FT-shooting team (22 for 24 last night), and I can see from the coach's standpoint that you might lose more on fouls than you gain from the occasional rebound. Also, against a team that can run as well as Columbia, it may be better to have your defense set and give the players a breather. But I agree it does look odd. The only other team I've seen do that consistently is Army.

There was even one comical sequence when a Brown player missed the front-end of a one-and-one and Baumann rebounded for Columbia and started to toss the ball to the ref, then held it for a couple of seconds before realizing that it was live. I think Columbia ended up turning the ball over at the other end; the confusion seemed to have thrown the whole team out of sync.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-11-07 06:48 PM - Post#30039    
    In response to The Lion King

It would seem that setting up the defense is more valued than the opportunity for an OR off a FT.

BrownAlum 
Freshman

Reg: 11-22-04
02-11-07 11:15 PM - Post#30040    
    In response to Old Bear

I believe that when Carril was coaching at Princeton he didn't put any guys on the lane when shooting free throws. I assume that's where Robinson learned it and I guess he likes it.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.17 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:38 PM