Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Princeton (-4) at Penn, Harvard (-1.5) vs Yale        (Topic#20118)
mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
03-10-17 05:58 PM - Post#226155    

Those are the opening lines... Discuss!

westphillywarrior 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-08-11
Re: Princeton (-4) at Penn, Harvard (-1.5) vs Yale
03-10-17 06:08 PM - Post#226158    
    In response to mrjames

I'll take Penn and Harvard. Both to cover and to win the games.

I think the Princeton/Penn line is right about where it ought to be to get even money on both sides. The Harvard line surprises me. Thought that would also have to be about 4 points.

westphillywarrior 
Sophomore

03-10-17 06:31 PM - Post#226159    
    In response to westphillywarrior

• westphillywarrior Said:

I think the Princeton/Penn line is right about where it ought to be to get even money on both sides. The Harvard line surprises me. Thought that would also have to be about 4 points.

And my pick of Penn over Princeton is not based on any stats or analysis or matchups or anything like that.
When I heard a year ago that the top four teams would play a tournament at the Palestra - you had to know right then that Penn was going to win it. With a chance to go to the NCAA Tournament, Penn is not losing in the Palestra.

Columbia Alum 
Junior

Reg: 11-15-11
03-10-17 08:14 PM - Post#226162    

I pick Princeton and Harvard. I think Princeton will win by 10, just a guess.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
03-10-17 10:10 PM - Post#226177    
    In response to Columbia Alum

Love Harvard - 1.5. Like Penn + 5

Tiger84 
Senior

Reg: 03-06-17
03-12-17 09:19 AM - Post#226462    
    In response to Streamers

How did taking Penn and the points work out for you?

palestra38 
Professor

03-12-17 09:37 AM - Post#226467    
    In response to Tiger84

Yup, you had it all the way.

But he lost even the one he "loved."

Great day of Ivy basketball. With better planning (perhaps a week earlier or have schools plan their Spring Breaks so this does not conflict), this could be even a better event.

westphillywarrior 
Sophomore

03-12-17 09:56 AM - Post#226470    

• westphillywarrior Said:

OK, I had both games wrong.
Really feel bad for the Penn bettors who took the Quakers plus the 6 or 7 points that I was seeing.
That's why I don't bet on these games. If they were playing these same two games in the Palestra again next weekend, I'd take Penn and Harvard again.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Princeton (-4) at Penn, Harvard (-1.5) vs Yale
03-12-17 01:39 PM - Post#226523    
    In response to Tiger84

• Tiger84 Said:
How did taking Penn and the points work out for you?

I try to avoid lengthy handicapping discussions here as most on the board don't care. Like most folks who like to bet, I avoid teams I already have a vested interest in so no Penn bets for me, despite the fact that I thought 7 (final line) was way to much for PU to give yesterday. Reason was the intangibles, which all favored Penn. Turns out that was right despite the fact that it was a losing bet. When your dog fails to cover in OT, that's just bad luck. Nothing to be learned or done about it.

As for Harvard, I discussed this at length with my friends in Vegas. On one hand, they have superior talent and match up well with Yale, -1.5 represented good value that you look for. OTOH, their games leading up to yesterday indicated a problem closing teams out. I attribute a bit of this to a young team but most to my belief that Amaker usually gets outcoached in games. As a result, a Yale winning outright scenario had to be accounted for. We could have hedged it but decided it was not worth the trouble.

In the end, all we did was take Duke over ND based on their performance against UNC. Wouldn't you know Allen and Giles came up flat but they covered in the last seconds. Sometimes you get lucky.

I thought Yale getting 7 was a good take today at game time. Liked PU to win but 7 was too much unless PU shoots a lot better than they did yesterday. As I write this they are up 11 with 6 to play as PU's hitting 3s now so they might cover. I'm glad yesterday convinced me not to play this one.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.209 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:11 AM