Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Women's Report: Virtue Rewarded & Bracketology        (Topic#20136)
dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
03-13-17 01:33 PM - Post#226759    

Well, I was right, we couldn’t hold Princeton to 25% shooting forever; by the end of the game, they were all the way up to 28% (only 29% from 3-—dead cold). After a back-and-forth first quarter, they just shut. the Tigers. Down in the second quarter and early in the third; Princeton went over nine minutes in the second without scoring, and only got four points overall. While the shooting was not quite as good as it was against Brown (in fairness to them, Princeton’s defense is a lot better than the Bears’ is), there was a long stretch in the first half and early in the second when the ball movement was the best it’s been all year—they were doing a great job of either finding people cutting to the hole, or else pounding it inside to Nwokedi and Agahyere, who either scored or kicked it back to the outside shooters for wide open 3’s. They couldn’t sustain it for the entire game, which made the last five minutes a bit more nerve-wracking than they should have been (and they also missed some free throws—if I’m McLaughlin, I’m sentencing Nwokedi to 200 free throws a day over the summer; she’s going to need to make those next year), but nevertheless, this is a good sign going into the tournament. The fact that Ross, Chambers, and Brzozowski are finding ways to get open for 3’s, and are willing to take them, is also a great sign. For that matter, Nwokedi was 5-9 from the arc in the two games, which sure unclogged the middle a whole bunch. The bad news is that Stipanovich has pretty much disappeared from a scoring standpoint—only one point and four shots this game. She messed up her foot or ankle a bit a few weeks back in the home Dartmouth game, and while she doesn’t show any obvious signs of injury, she’s just seemed a little off since then—I have to wonder if it’s bothering her. She is still hitting the boards, though—-eight this game after 13 against Brown. I do hope she can pick it up a bit in the next game, because you know whoever we'll be playing is going to be on Nwokedi like white on rice.

Excellent photos here --kudos to the photog for the nice framing of the scoreboard in the first shot. Also, nice touch inviting the band in for a picture, since they have greatly ramped up their support for the women recently, particularly this season. With a total of 40 points, 21 boards and ten blocks (she just posterized some folks these last two games), Nwokedi was MVP of the weekend, and with 21 points and 10 assists, Ross was also All-SEA Team. Also, I'm not saying that the regular-season trophy is going to make anyone forget the Stanley Cup or anything, but it at least looks like some work and thought and money were put into it. The trophies from this weekend look like they were bought on closeout from the awards store down the block.

All right, your whirlwind bracketology update:

ESPN : #13 seed, at Louisville.

College Sports Madness : #14, still at Louisville.

Real Time RPI : #13, at Kentucky (I'm detecting a theme here. )

This guy : #11, West Virginia at Florida St. (mouth, God's, etc.)

Well, I am on record as being disappointed in their performance out of conference this season, and as a result I didn't hold much hope of them performing well in the NCAA's even if they did make it. It is also true that they're much more likely to be playing on someone else's home court the first game, and far away from their fans. Nevertheless, after this weekend, I feel a bit better, because with the exception of Stip, the team in general seems to be getting into a good groove at the right time. If they can keep up the good ball work and knocking down the threes, someone is in for a big surprise this weekend.

You know the drill by now: selection show is tonight, 7 PM Eastern, ESPN. The party at the Palestra starts at 6:15, with free pizza for all, and thanks to my father cancelling our trip to the Flyers game due to the impending weather, I get to go for the first time this year. Woohoo!
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.012 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:30 PM