Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Open Practice        (Topic#20601)
JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
10-28-17 08:23 PM - Post#234910    

I stopped in early to open practice this AM. Obie had what looked like an air cast on his left foot, up to his knee. But he was walking and dressed in warm-up clothes. Hunzicker was in street close and walking around. Triplett also did not play. One guy that stood out was Shaper. He is a strong 6-3 190 and shoots very well. He has a quick catch and release. I didn't see him miss a shot in drills or scrimmage for the 30 mins I was there. Fuller looks strong and his shot is improved. Choh is strong and plays fluidly. Had a great pick and roll with Howard, finishing in between two players in traffic. Cambridge can really get up is very athletic. His shot looked nice but he was hitting the front rim a lot. Needs to get his legs under him and have better lift. I have heard that Hunzicker has shown to be a dead-eye shooter, and it wouldn't be a surprise to see he and Cambridge start in the backcourt.

I wish I could have stayed longer. I was impressed with the level of talent throughout the roster. All seemed to move well and hold their own during Martins' crisply run drills for 20 minutes before the scrimmage. I don't know if a 17 to 20 point scorer will emerge. But I believe there is enough talent and depth that collectively, they can be very competitive in league play.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
10-29-17 08:32 PM - Post#234942    
    In response to JBears

Howard is better away form the basket, De Wolf will help inside. They are much deeper, quicker an more athletic than any Brown team I can remember. They may be a year away, like last year's Women's team, but the will be fun to watch!

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
10-29-17 09:49 PM - Post#234947    
    In response to Old Bear

Unless he’s gotten bigger, I hope Howard plays the 4 and not the 5. Although I have to disagree with the Bear here - I think despite his size, Howard is excellent around the basket. He just knows how to create a little room and put it in from close.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
10-30-17 12:58 PM - Post#235015    
    In response to Bruno

Howard and Spieth had a nice play last year, where Spieth would be at the foul line and he's drop passes into Howard, who would use the basket to shield the defender as he put the ball up off the backboard for some easy scores. The comp must have gotten wise to the play, as I don't recall it was used much during the league season. But it did show Howard knows his way around the basket. Not a surprise being Juwan Howard's son, I guess. Good head fakes, up and under moves, etc. If he can expand his game to the perimeter, it will make him more versatile. However, with the shooters we have on the roster this year, I see the further development of his inside game as more important for the team's improvement.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
10-30-17 07:07 PM - Post#235074    
    In response to JBears

I’m from the Brad Stevens school of no defined positions, particularly we this group. Howard is a 3/4. Some of the frost are 2/3/4s.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
11-03-17 10:33 AM - Post#235409    
    In response to Old Bear

I agree with you. As long as we’re not starting a 6’6 200 lb guy at center.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.018 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:19 PM