Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: CCSU        (Topic#20780)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
12-02-17 05:00 PM - Post#238757    

Putrid performance by Brown. Weak on the boards - couldn’t grab one, didn’t box out against a taller team. They fell into the trap of having a very hot stretch and then stopped playing - something you might expect of a young team. But to lose this game at home after being up by 15 to these guys - awful.

And CCSU wasn’t very good either. They gave Brown every chance.

Cambridge was fantastic. Stopped hitting threes but was very effective defensively. Anderson made some iffy decisions on three balls down the stretch. But our frontcourt needs help. Fuller, Howard, DeWolf not getting it done. Choh doing some good things today I thought. May be time to see what Erebor can do in favor of either Fuller or DeWolf.

Despite all that I thought defensively Brown had some very good stretches. It was offense and rebounding that lost this one.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
12-02-17 05:30 PM - Post#238758    
    In response to Bruno

Ditto. I am expecting more from Okolie, as well.

jst4245 
Freshman

Reg: 05-23-12
12-02-17 10:21 PM - Post#238827    
    In response to Old Bear

Spot on from Bruno.

I am clamoring to see a little bit of Erebor. Our current collection of bigs dont even make people think about thinking twice before trying to get in the lane. (Choh is a nice athlete and piece but not a true big.) In Erebors's limited minutes at least he shown some presence down there.

Anderson - while young with some promise - is proving to be a "stat sheet" guy. He really needs to get the offense flowing much sooner in the shot clock and make guys feel like they are involved. Right now the offense is choppy as he dribbles the leather off the ball.

I've touched on this before but will be very interesting to see how Obi fits back into this equation. I mentioned in a previous post that I anticipate a four guard lineup come ivy league play. Further thought has led me to believe we may not have much success with those 4 guards if we trot out bigs who cant rebound or protect the rim. As a fan Id really like to see Anderson, Hunsaker, Cambridge, Obi, and Erebor in EXTENDED minutes over 3-4 games to provide a real sample size. With that being said I am sure there are reasons Erebor doesnt get a sniff, and I am most likely being a fan who is only anticipating the good from someone who isnt getting much PT.

Another thought if Erebor isnt ready to play major minutes is starting lineup of Anderson, Cambridge, Obi, Howard, Dewolf/Fuller and bring Hunsaker off the bench. No knock on Hunsaker - but maybe he could provide some juice and shooting to the 2nd unit? IMO there is no real seperation right now between Hunsaker, Anderson, Obi, and Cambridge. More fit than anything underneath the hood of that thought.

Young team, natural order will take some time to sort itself out. Optimistic about the group.

Go Bears!

Bruno 
PhD Student

12-03-17 11:14 AM - Post#238878    
    In response to jst4245

Obi’s having trouble fitting back in. His mid-range game hasn’t translated as yet. He’s also not yet in rhythm after having sat out, but it seems clear he’s still struggling to find his spot on the court. I get it, it’s hard. The addition and ascension of Cambridge is a natural conflict. And they haven’t figured out how to make him a role player on this team as yet.

I actually think the most important stabilizing force on the court is Hunsaker. As you’d expect given his age and experience, he adds a little more cool-headedness. He’s turned he ball over too much, but I’m still more comfortable when he’s out there.

I think Anderson has been outstanding. Remember that this is his first year running as primary point. I take your point on his dribbling. Sometimes the ball doesn’t move side to side quickly enough in the half court set. Nor is it going inside enough. But the team has been putting up numbers with the exception of the last two games. So there’s offense that can work here. It’s just that none of it is coming from the bigs. And for the most part, where the bigs tend to touch it is at the top of the key when they go into that point-forward mode, or if they get one off the offensive boards.

Bruno 
PhD Student

12-03-17 11:20 AM - Post#238880    
    In response to Bruno

Also worth noting. Ability to get to the line is a direct to their wins. They average 32 trips in their wins, 21 in their losses.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
12-03-17 05:28 PM - Post#238914    
    In response to Bruno

I'm not hung up on who starts, it's minutes played and whose on the floor in the last 5 minutes. I don't know if Erebor has earned a lot more time, so would need to spend a lot of time watching practices. I would like to see more of him, but let's not rush it. I thought Fuller looked really effective in the earlier games, not so much later. We need more from him.

jst4245 
Freshman

Reg: 05-23-12
CCSU
12-03-17 10:20 PM - Post#238926    
    In response to Old Bear

Edited by jst4245 on 12-03-17 10:40 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bruno 
PhD Student

12-03-17 11:40 PM - Post#238929    
    In response to Old Bear

Fuller showed me a ton last season. He was so much better than I thought he was after his freshman year. He rebounds and passes well. But he needs to be able to score the ball and he’s not been strong inside since the early games. He needs to be a threat and he hasn’t been of late.

Speaking of starting, I’m sure MM has reasons for starting DeWolf over Fuller, but it I will say it’s odd that you’d go with the raw-er freshman over the lone junior that actually plays. I remember thinking similar things last year. I also don’t think who starts is meaningless.

All that said, if Fuller doesn’t pick it up on offense - and that include guys getting the ball to him down there - then I’d very much like to see him clear space for someone who will be aggressive enough inside to draw attention and relive some of the pressure on the guards. He has a skillset down there. Muscle up, take some shots and put the ball in the hole or get to the line.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.015 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:19 AM