Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Mason To Return This Weekend?!        (Topic#21171)
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
02-15-18 06:01 PM - Post#247940    

Makai Mason is not listed on this weekend's active roster at the Yale Game Notes, but a number of reporters are noting that he will return this weekend. The guess is he will see action on Saturday night at Harvard.

https://www.nhregister.com/colleges/article/Maka i-...

- Mason, the senior guard who’s missed all of the past two seasons due to different foot injuries, will likely play either on Friday at Dartmouth or on Saturday night at Harvard. The team wants to ease him back into competition and doesn’t want him playing on consecutive nights just yet.

It’s more likely that Mason will play against the Crimson — a 9:30 p.m. game on Saturday.

Local Observer 
Junior
Local Observer
Reg: 03-30-14
Re: Mason To Return This Weekend?!
02-17-18 11:29 PM - Post#248423    
    In response to rbg

He DID make it back for the Harvard game.

whitakk 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-14
02-20-18 01:01 AM - Post#248680    
    In response to Local Observer

Broke down Mason's return here:
http://www.nycbuckets.com/2018/02/ivy-league-we ekl...

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-20-18 10:22 AM - Post#248686    
    In response to whitakk

He was rusty but I was surprised how well he moved. Makai could be dangerous in the IvyMadness tournament if he gets a few more games under his belt.

Even against a good defense, he has the ability to get open shots, i.e. Baylor game.

It would be better to avoid him in the semifinals leading up to Sunday's game at the Palestra if at all possible.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-25-18 02:18 PM - Post#249488    
    In response to bradley

Was there a reinjury? Weird that he didn’t play this weekend at all. I could see not playing back to back and limiting his minutes. I get that they have clinched third and have nothing more to play for. But I don’t think you sit him all weekend unless he can’t play. Running out of time to get him in game shape.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
02-25-18 02:34 PM - Post#249491    
    In response to SomeGuy

Yeah. There was a setback.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-25-18 03:07 PM - Post#249493    
    In response to mrjames

That stinks. How bad? Done for the year, or potentially back for the weekend (or the tourney)?

whitakk 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-14
02-25-18 03:21 PM - Post#249498    
    In response to SomeGuy

Jones said he was hopeful Mason could practice this week and return this weekend, but can't get your hopes up too much given how this whole recovery has gone.

http://www.nycbuckets.com/2018/02/yale-83-colum bia...

rbg 
Postdoc

02-26-18 09:26 AM - Post#249553    
    In response to whitakk

The YDN has this bit of information on Mason's recent setback.

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2018/02/26/mens- bas...

-- The Bulldogs won both games without guard Makai Mason ’18. The captain made his long-awaited return to action against Harvard on Feb. 17, but suffered yet another setback to his oft-injured left foot in practice last Monday. Mason was not dressed to play for either game this weekend and sported a protective boot on his left foot.

Jones said Mason tweaked his foot after making a cut and said the point guard is “day-to-day again.”

rbg 
Postdoc

03-08-18 05:54 PM - Post#251446    
    In response to rbg

Not much of a surprise, but Coach Jones told the Hartford Courant that Mason is done for the season.

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-sp- yale-m...

- Things are moving right along without Makai Mason, the Bulldogs guard who led the team to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 54 years as a sophomore two years ago. Mason has played just 21 minutes in the last two seasons due to foot problems and it is not likely he will play for Yale again in his final season.

“He’s out,” Jones said. “Unfortunately we haven’t had him and it is what it is. I hope he is able to be the player I know he can be.”

Mason, the Ivy League preseason Player of the Year, is expected to play a graduate year at Baylor so the next time he steps on the court he’ll be doing it for somebody else.

“Yeah but the thing is he’ll be doing it,” Jones said. “You want him to be able to realize that success that he’s capable of having and finish his career off better than the way he started it and it started off great. If he can be better than he was for us I’d be really happy to see that for him.”

Coming off an outstanding freshman season, Oni was looking forward to a season with Mason against an ambitious nonconference schedule.

“I definitely did but we should be solid,” Oni said. “We feel confident in the group we have. Obviously he would help a lot but we’ve been used to playing without him. The young guys are growing up. We should be all right.”

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.015 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:17 PM