Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: New Commit        (Topic#22008)
hoopsfan 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-26-04
10-29-18 07:26 PM - Post#263731    

Cameron Shockley-Okeke, 6'6" lefty, played at Milton (Class A All-NEPSAC). Young for his class, now doing a post-grad year at Exeter. Can guard three positions, long and athletic, very good shooter.

https://newenglandrecruit ingreport.com/recruits/ca...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl02L_J_JIo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyiFdsVDhCs

https://twitter.com/cshocks15?lang=en

From New England Recruiting Report Feb. 2018:

BREAKOUT PROSPECTS & POSSIBLE LATE STEALS
Cameron Shockley-Okeke, Milton Academy - I’ll readily admit that I had never noticed, nor had I even heard of, Shockley-Okeke prior to the NPSI. But the 6’6” wing grabbed my attention shortly after the opening tip when he caught a pass in transition and took flight to finish high above the rim in traffic. That single play set the tone for his team and forced me to stay locked in on his individual play from that point on. A lefty with good length, Shockley-Okeke also owns a strong frame and a solid stroke to go along with his above-average athleticism. Shockley-Okeke is eligible for a prep year but he has enough current ability to be considered a surefire D1 prospect and should be recruited as such moving forward. Shockley-Okeke finished with 29 points in Milton’s comeback win over New Hampton, scoring from all three levels and using his versatility to defend multiple positions on the floor.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
10-29-18 10:10 PM - Post#263737    
    In response to hoopsfan

Solid prospect whose height and athleticism will give him an opportunity to see playing time as a freshman at Columbia. Jack Forrest and Shockley-Okeke are our only commitments for next season so there are still about four spots to fill. The Lions still have some way to go to catch up with their Ivy League opponents, but at least there is a glimmer of hope now. Columbia will need to recruit a talented center to replace Tape and the transfer, Smoyer, who will both be seniors next year.

hoopsfan 
Masters Student

10-29-18 10:19 PM - Post#263738    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

Smoyer played 2 years at Portland. He sits this year and will then have two years of eligibility.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
10-29-18 10:33 PM - Post#263740    
    In response to hoopsfan

Smoyer is listed as a junior on the roster. If he plays next season, that will be his senior year.
He will have one year of eligibility remaining, however, he will have graduated from Columbia.

If the Ivy League does not allow graduate students to play, wouldn't Smoyer have to use his last year of eligibility at a non-Ivy school?

hoopsfan 
Masters Student

10-31-18 12:33 AM - Post#263846    
    In response to rbg

I'm sure several participants on this board will know the rule here. I don't but I am sure he will play 2 years at Columbia.

A recent exact analogue to Smoyer would be Max Craig. He played at Loyola Marymount in 2006-07 and 2007-08. He transferred to Columbia, sat out 2008-09 as per NCAA rules then played for Columbia in 2009-10 and 2010-11. He got his BA in 2011, 5 years after he began college which is not all that unusual for a transfer whether they are athletes or not.

Clyde 
Freshman

Reg: 06-19-18
10-31-18 08:54 AM - Post#263871    
    In response to rbg

The roster designation might not be accurate. Assuming he needs 3 years of academics to graduate, the RS year catches him up in the classroom and then next year he has 2 years of hoops and 2 years of academics remaining. I'm just guessing but I think that's how it works. I can't imagine that 2 years at Portland puts him on-track to graduate from Columbia in 2 years.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
10-31-18 09:05 AM - Post#263876    
    In response to Clyde

You might be correct. Just looking at Penn's Matt MacDonald, he played for FDU in '13-'14 and '14-'15. He then transferred to Penn and sat out '15-'16 before playing the last two seasons.

It's interesting that the JUCO transfers, like Penn's Caleb Wood, and Brown's Zach Hunsaker, as well as Cornell's Steve Julian, Thurston McCarty and Chaz Mack have been able to step right into Ivy League academics and be on pace to graduate four years after starting their times in higher education.

hoopsfan 
Masters Student

10-31-18 12:41 PM - Post#263908    
    In response to rbg

I believe that one issue with transfers to Columbia is that they like all students must complete the Core Curriculum, and that not many credits if any from another school can fill that gap.

Regarding Juco transfers, when Treg Duerksen transferred to Columbia after being a Juco Academic All American at Neosho (and sharing a backcourt with Jeremy Pargo) he played one year, sat out the next with an ACL, then played a fifth year and graduated with that class. So no restrictions there on how long he could play.

Lastly, another article on the signing of Shockley: https://newenglandrecruit ingreport.com/in-the-news...

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.013 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:17 PM