Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Bison Women Recruit Rankings        (Topic#22296)
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
12-12-18 08:45 PM - Post#268934    

I thought some more about your post on the relatively low BU women's rankings. I already put forth my position on the reliability of the girls' rankings in that thread, but I had a few more thoughts.

1. I think the ranking for Tai Johnson (# 744) is very low, and I suspect they haven't even seen her. Consider that she was 1st team all-state in a big-school class as a junior and was MVP of the state championship game. Also her all-state running mate, who probably as a senior wasn't much different than Johnson as a junior, is currently starting and playing 29 mpg for a good Xavier team. Further Johnson is averaging 24 ppg out of the gate this year - against teams that were good last year - and looking to be improved. Doesn't tie in with being the #744 player.

2. Last year's ASGR rankings had Bucknell at #226, In the Patriot League rankings, that placed them 6th - and they likely would have been closer to 8th if it weren't for the site erroneously classifying Brooke Mullin as a 2018. They had Taylor O'Brien at #536, which seems a bit low given her accolades. And they didn't even give any ranking to Marly Walls, who ended up 2nd team all-state (all groups) in Kentucky.

One comparison to O'Brien would be Navy's Nyah Garrison, who they had ranked at #500. Garrison did not make the 10-girl All Philly Catholic team, and she had no scholarship offers other than Navy in the fall of her senior year. Hard to believe O'Brien wasn't a much better recruit than her.

3. Looking at the 2018 rankings, other than the Garrison ranking, a few others are interesting. Thus far the top freshman in the league is HC's PG Avery LaBarbera. ASGR ranked her 961st, which seems absurdly low. Their #2 PL recruit, Natalie Stralkus (#366), thus far rarely gets in for a mediocre Army team. Too late to pass judgement, but that ranking is questionable thus far. A few others seem odd as well. Just confirms what I thought, i.e. that they don't do a good job on midmajor girls.

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
Reg: 01-23-06
12-13-18 10:28 AM - Post#268991    
    In response to Bison137

thanks for the aditional analysis. i was already over any concern about the rankings, but these observations really drive their shortcomings home.

have not seen the other PL teams play, so have only seen the stats in the PL row for any indication of how others are playing, but am very impressed by the early play of Walls. her stats are not likely to win her many awards this year given the makeup and depth of the team, but would be surprised if there are too many better frosh guards in the PL. hope TO is back on the court soon too seems she was just starting to be a bit more aggressive and confident in her role on the floor before she got hurt

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.544 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:30 AM