Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Next Season        (Topic#22541)
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
01-29-19 03:29 PM - Post#274034    

I was just thinking about next year - how Bryce Washington has created a conundrum. He has become a very good substitute for Ryan Betley. I'm wondering what kinds of lineups we could have that use the both of them without sacrificing too much in ball handling, defense, or rebounding.

PG - Goodman, Williams (hopefully)
SG - Washington
SF - Betley, Kuba
PF - Wang, Scott
C - Brodeur, Simmons

MLL, Charles, Martz and Dingle look far more ready to contribute than our typical Freshmen - especially Dingle. He has an upperclassman physique. I could see him fitting in the PG mix early, especially if Williams isn't back to 100%.

This feels like a pretty good team, with improved shooting by having 3 very good shooters on the floor (Betley, Washington, Wang). Goodman is a good ball handler, but could really elevate the team if he develops his shot and commands respect as a scorer. We could use a big man who is a strong rebounder and defender to ease the continuous physical pressure on Brodeur.

Sorry to look ahead - I know we have a long way to go this season!

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
01-29-19 05:53 PM - Post#274054    
    In response to Penndemonium

I think the coaches are high on all these guys and I think Martz may be the diamond in the rough in this class that contributes as much as anyone early.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
Reg: 11-21-04
01-29-19 05:54 PM - Post#274055    
    In response to PennFan10

Let's Dance this year and then next year we shock the world.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Next Season
01-29-19 06:39 PM - Post#274062    

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see some 4 guard next year (to PennFan10’s dismay). I could see us playing 2 combo guards (Goodman and Williams/Dingle) with both Washington and Betley, and then one big (AJ or Wang). I really think we will see as many minutes as possible for Goodman, Bryce, Betley, Wang, and AJ.

Cvonvorys 
Postdoc
Cvonvorys
Loc: Princeton, New Jersey
Reg: 10-11-06
01-29-19 06:54 PM - Post#274064    
    In response to SomeGuy

A few questions:

Why the optimism for Jelani?

And does anyone know if next season’s Ryan will be as good as last season’s Ryan?

This time last year, did anyone on this board actually think that Bryce and Michael would have so many minutes and Jarrod and Eddie would have so few minutes?

Finally... Wouldn’t it be great if next season’s freshmen take minutes away from the rest of the team?

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

01-29-19 07:03 PM - Post#274066    
    In response to Cvonvorys

• Cvonvorys Said:
A few questions:

And does anyone know if next season’s Ryan will be as good as last season’s Ryan?

The heart-breaking thing is that in his few minutes at the start of the season, he looked so confident and locked-in ready to play. I hated to see that. I don't doubt he can make a good enough athletic recovery, but getting back to his readiness for this year will take a lot hard work, I'm sure.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

01-29-19 07:15 PM - Post#274069    
    In response to Cvonvorys

• Cvonvorys Said:
A few questions:

Why the optimism for Jelani?

This time last year, did anyone on this board actually think that Bryce and Michael would have so many minutes and Jarrod and Eddie would have so few minutes?

Finally... Wouldn’t it be great if next season’s freshmen take minutes away from the rest of the team?

1. Hard to really get excited about Jelani when he won’t have played a meaningful game in almost 3 years this fall. I am optimistic though

2. I watched Betley draining NBA 3’s @princeton with a leg brace on. One after the other. He isn’t going to lose that overnight. I feel very optiimistice about Ryan.

3. At some point I’ll go back through my posts but I spoke very highly of Bryce and Wang after each of their commitments last year. I have always felt like both of them were overlooked in the recruiting process, which is becoming a theme with SD

4. If freshmen are taking minutes away from a team that is undefeated Big 5 Champs and IL Champs, that’s definitely a good thing.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

01-29-19 07:17 PM - Post#274072    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
I wouldn’t be surprised if we see some 4 guard next year (to PennFan10’s dismay). I could see us playing 2 combo guards (Goodman and Williams/Dingle) with both Washington and Betley, and then one big (AJ or Wang). I really think we will see as many minutes as possible for Goodman, Bryce, Betley, Wang, and AJ.

Hmmm, you seem to be arguing against yourself here.....first 4 guards, then 2 bigs....

Here’s the thing, SD is going to play his best guys and adapt. If that includes 2 bigs like it has the last 2 years, he will do it. If next year his best 6-7 includes a 4 guard lineup, he is gonna do that. He does a great job adjusting his scheme to his talent level.

SomeGuy 
Professor

01-29-19 07:17 PM - Post#274073    
    In response to Cvonvorys

On Williams, my optimism is just based on the fact that he was apparently slated to start ahead of Goodman if healthy this year. No idea if and when he can get back to that level.

On Betley, I’m more optimistic simply because we’ve seen how good he is on court. But certainly no guarantees. But a healthy Betley undoubtedly starts and is a primary player for us.

As for Wang/Washington versus Scott/Simmons a year ago, no, that was not predictable. Not sure we even had the Washington commit yet. However, Scott/Simmons last year weren’t playing nearly as much (or as well) as the core four of AJ, Wang, Washington, and Goodman this year. I don’t see any reason to assume any of these guys would lose minutes going forward — my expectation is that they will gain minutes, not lose them, going forward, and that the new players (or returning reserves) will take the graduating minutes.

Finally, for whatever reason I am very bullish on Martz and Dingle out of the gate. You never know, and as I said in the general recruiting thread, maybe i’m just still giddy about making the NCAAs last year. But this just looks to me like a class where the (very good) coach got what he was looking for, regardless of whether the recruiting rankings back it up.

SomeGuy 
Professor

01-29-19 07:23 PM - Post#274075    
    In response to PennFan10

Yes — I just mean that with the core 5 I envision, we will play both lineups. The trick is getting Betley and Washington on court together as much as possible, which involves both playing “big” with Bryce sliding down to the 2 and play8ng “small” with Betley or Washington as the 4.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

01-30-19 01:26 AM - Post#274127    
    In response to SomeGuy

It would give us a good look if Washington becomes a stronger secondary ball handler - it wouldn't be so great to have only one ball-handler in our small lineup - would like multiple players to be able to pressure the other team by pushing the ball up the court and being an immediate scoring threat. Washington has seemed fine with the ball, but I haven't really watched him managing pressure and double-teams as a ball handler.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
Next Season
01-30-19 10:26 AM - Post#274132    

So why are we doing this with the meat of the Ivy schedule approaching and with our team behind the 8 ball at 0-2.

We all know stuff happens. We lost Jelani with the OTHER leg ACL after he had played extremely well when the team went to Italy in the summer. Then Ryan went down. And then Tyler.

Maybe Bryce doesn't see the court so soon if Ryan and Tyler were available.

Steve is bringing in kids that make me very hopeful. As for next year, I'll worry about that in the fall. We have two rough away weekends staring at us and there is a lot of pressure to win these games.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

01-30-19 11:28 AM - Post#274139    
    In response to AsiaSunset

I do it because it's fun as hell to project out when the projections look good. I also do it sometimes when it's not as fun to get a sense where the program is going. The players are focused on this wknd as they should be. The coach is mostly focused on this wknd (though if he doesn't have an eye on the future then he's not the right person for the job. Any good coach is constantly multitasking, I guarantee you he's making calls to recruits during the season assuming it's a legal contact period)

yoyo 
Senior

Reg: 03-25-09
01-30-19 01:28 PM - Post#274156    
    In response to AsiaSunset

• AsiaSunset Said:
So why are we doing this with the meat of the Ivy schedule approaching and with our team behind the 8 ball at 0-2.

We all know stuff happens. We lost Jelani with the OTHER leg ACL after he had played extremely well when the team went to Italy in the summer. Then Ryan went down. And then Tyler.

Maybe Bryce doesn't see the court so soon if Ryan and Tyler were available.

Steve is bringing in kids that make me very hopeful. As for next year, I'll worry about that in the fall. We have two rough away weekends staring at us and there is a lot of pressure to win these games.

agreed. the timing of this thread is as bad as resurrecting the Monmouth thread after we clinched the Big Five outright

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

01-30-19 01:29 PM - Post#274157    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Asia, you're absolutely right - I acknowledged as much in the original message. The internet just gives me an outlet for any nutty thoughts at any time. Thought it might be a fun diversion. Since it is all speculative, it lets me live in a happy bubble. That's what kept me alive in the Miller and Allen years.

I am a huge fan of this year's team, Princeton losses notwithstanding. Injuries, scheduling, and the ups and downs of athletics have not helped, but this team just plays the right way.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.017 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:44 AM