Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 14 1234>» Last
Username Post: Cornell        (Topic#22559)
SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-31-19 09:43 PM - Post#274321    

So how do we feel about tomorrow? We managed to stop Morgan last year (held him to his two lowest scoring games of the year, and he shot under 25%). But a lot of that was Foreman. I like that we presumably have choices here with Goodman and Woods, but Boeheim presents an interesting matchup. I assume Washington can handle him, but if not, I guess it might be Woods, despite the big height difference. Which would leave Goodman on Morgan.

QHoops 
Senior

Reg: 12-16-04
Re: Cornell
01-31-19 10:34 PM - Post#274322    
    In response to SomeGuy

I'd vote for Woods on Morgan, and take our chances on Washington on Boeheim.

Morgan can obviously go off in a big way. I don't think anyone else has proven they can beat you.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
Cornell
01-31-19 11:59 PM - Post#274327    
    In response to QHoops

Boeheim is a very nice Ivy player with a 101.5 ORAT.

Morgan has scored 2,000 points and is one of the best scorers in Ivy League history.

Woods is our best defensive player.

Personally, I’d definitely play Woods on Morgan as first option and see how Washington can do on Boeheim and adjust as needed.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
02-01-19 12:02 AM - Post#274328    
    In response to Mike Porter

In general, we only won last year by 8 points away at Cornell. This is a really tough road trip and expect a highly contested game, but hoping we can come out on top.

Starting 0-2 in a tough league, every game is a must win at this point to make sure we get to Ivy Madness...

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
02-01-19 12:15 AM - Post#274329    

However, last year Cornell was the Saturday game. Always tough on the second night of road weekends and, while I don't remember whether this was the case, Saturday night Ivy games tend to have the worst referees.

With that said, this will be a tough weekend. Glad that the last two weeks we have found some new contributors in Kuba and an improving Jarrod which will allow Steve to go to his bench more.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Cornell
02-01-19 12:24 AM - Post#274330    
    In response to SteveChop

Kuba took a bit of a step backwards against St. Joe’s, but he still looks like a player. Jarrod, on the other hand, was plain awful and will likely only see meaningful minutes if we’re really desperate.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
02-01-19 12:57 AM - Post#274332    
    In response to LyleGold

Simmons has a bad game against St. Joes but in fairness had a good game against a better Temple squad. I expect Max to play more again but be surprised is Jarrod doesn’t get some run this weekend... especially in first half. His athleticism could help against Columbia bigs more so but let’s see.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

02-01-19 07:49 AM - Post#274338    

Of course I'm hoping that the Temple game was a better indication of what we can expect from Simmons, but the obvious question is which was the aberration. Jarred has struggled throughout his career to consistently fit in which Donahue's system and frequently seems lost out there. The occasional flashes of potential he showed only frustrated us that much more.

Then came the Temple game when injuries and fouls to others thrust Jarred into a crucial situation and he responded with confidence. He let the game come to him and was effective inside, outside, defensively, and on the boards. It was a revelation and perhaps a breakout game.

Then came the St. Joe's game. We experimented with that weird four man substitution in the first half as part of a strategy to wear down a thin Hawks lineup. Jarred missed a wide open layup badly - overshooting the basket from about six inches away. Rather than dunk the ball or just smoothly finish his shot, it was the classic sign of a player who is pressing or thinking too much. He then compounded things by going into a daze, missing coverages, and generally disappearing. Same old Jarred.

He spent much of the remainder of the half on the bench with Max seated next to him with his arm draped across Jarred's shoulders. Max animatedly counseled him as though he were helping him through some sort of crisis. I was watching that interaction closely from behind the Penn bench, none of which would have been apparent to people stranded in front of their computer screens in California. Considering Donahue's history of using non-league games (even decisive Big 5 games) to experiment and then shortening his bench for league games, I'd be surprised to see much, if any, of Jarred this weekend unless Steve is convinced that the St. Joe's brain freeze was the outlier. There's at least an equal chance that the Temple game was.

Charlie Fog 
Masters Student

Loc: Philly
Reg: 11-12-13
02-01-19 08:16 AM - Post#274339    
    In response to LyleGold

I can see JS playing some good minutes against an athletic Columbia team.

SomeGuy 
Professor

02-01-19 08:53 AM - Post#274343    

All true, but it is also possible that Morgan is too quick for Woods, and therefore Goodman is the better matchup. And remember we had this same debate about who should guard Canady, and that was exclusively Goodman for two games.

The reason Boeheim makes me nervous is mainly that Cornell looks like they will play big, which is exactly what Princeton did against us. And they will have the ability to play any of those bigs on the perimeter— which is exactly what Princeton did against us to keep Wang off the defensive glass. They don’t have anything remotely like Aririguzoh or Stephens, but they will probably do an imitation of what Princeton did. Of course, the reason Princeton beat us had little to do with their offense — they won because of the way they defended us both games. Cornell probably won’t be able to imitate that. But the similarities in approach make me nervous for an Ivy road game against a team that isn’t bad and has one very scary player.

Edited by SomeGuy on 02-01-19 08:57 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

palestra38 
Professor

02-01-19 09:02 AM - Post#274346    
    In response to SomeGuy

If we lose to Cornell, whatever the matchups, it will be a terrible coaching job. We should crush this team.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
02-01-19 09:30 AM - Post#274349    
    In response to palestra38

And since we know that Donahue can coach, we should crush this team.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
02-01-19 10:02 AM - Post#274355    
    In response to Charlie Fog

• Charlie Fog Said:
I can see JS playing some good minutes against an athletic Columbia team.

Let’s not over think this. In the IMHO unlikely event Max can play more than a cameo, I do not think we see much of Jarrod unless our bigs get into foul trouble. That would be a recipe for an upset. I do think Kuba gets some time against Cornell if he hits a 3 early. He can stay with Boheim.

We need our bigs to crash the defensive boards, keep the ball moving on offense, especially if the C’s start packing the lane, and stay out of foul trouble. Even with Max cheerleading, look for a couple of good games from Wang and a sweep this weekend.

palestra38 
Professor

02-01-19 10:06 AM - Post#274356    
    In response to Streamers

Uh, Brodeur. Make them double him. Then we run it up.

SomeGuy 
Professor

02-01-19 10:11 AM - Post#274360    

Bingo. How Cornell defends him will be interesting and could be key. Columbia could be another game (like Princeton) where both teams leave the centers playing one on one. I think that will play to our advantage overall, but probably means Tape scores some points on us.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
02-01-19 10:34 AM - Post#274368    
    In response to Streamers

The threes may be hard to find tonight, since Cornell plays much better three point defense than they did last year. Dev is 7-36 since the LaSalle game and Antonio is 7-25 since Villanova, so I would not count on great three points shooting from them. Michael had some success last weekend, but he might do better from three on Saturday against Columbia. Kuba can certainly get hot as he did against Temple (4-6), but he was cold in his two other most recent appearances (1-6 vs Monmouth & 1-5 vs St. Joe's). He may also find better results on Saturday. If Penn is going to have success from three, it will be primarily be based on Bryce and Jake.

If the threes don't fall, then they will need to focus more on the inside. Since Cornell's inside defense is not as strong as it was with Gettings, I would expect Penn (mostly AJ, Dev and Antonio) to do well in this area. Columbia certainly did well in the 2nd halves of both games.

Defensively, Morgan will always get his points. Even if he is bottled up in the first half, he seems to finish in the low 20s by the end of the game. He tends to fill the stat sheet with 2s, 3s and FTs. If Penn can disrupt one aspect from the field or limit his FT attempts, they will have had a good night.

Boeheim is certainly doing much better this year, since he has moved away from the front court. He has 4 double digit games in his last 5 and really took it to Columbia in the 2nd half. I would hope that Penn's better inside defense will prevent him from having a huge night (he has had games of 20 vs Binghamton, 22 vs Columbia and 23 vs Delaware, but his other high games are 15 vs NJIT and 14 vs Towson).

Warren is playing better this year, but he is certainly not playing like Gettings. Since Cornell doesn't get a lot of points from McBride, Davis, Whiteside, and Julian, I think he and Boeheim will have to have really big nights on offense, if Cornell is to win.

If there are wild cards in this, it is Jack Gordon and Penn's FTs. Gordon came off the DL last Saturday and has the ability to get hot from outside. Penn's FT, of course, need no further explanations.

In the end, I feel Penn comes away with a much needed win and then gets ready to shoot some more threes at Columbia on Saturday.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
02-01-19 01:26 PM - Post#274397    

• palestra38 Said:
Uh, Brodeur. Make them double him. Then we run it up.

Hence my reference to packing the lane.

palestra38 
Professor

02-01-19 01:29 PM - Post#274398    
    In response to Streamers

A double is not the same as packing the lane. A double comes at him from the other side to get at the dribble. But unless they double, Brodeur should be able to score 30 on these guys. They don't have anyone to stop him.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
02-01-19 01:48 PM - Post#274403    

It's nice not to face Gettings (what happened to him at UofA?) and I agree we should win, I just get worried over how many times in a row we'll be able to hold back Morgan. The gameplans have been great in the past, but it's his last chance to get us at home and we need to play well and seal this thing.

1-1 is a necessity. 2-0 would be great. I figure they need to sweep at least 3 series' this year to get to where we want to be.

SomeGuy 
Professor

02-01-19 01:58 PM - Post#274405    
    In response to Quakers03

Should be an interesting weekend re the standings. The road team will be the higher ranked team in every game, but there aren’t any games where I would be at all surprised by the home team winning.

Agree with P38 on paper about how we approach and where we have the advantage, but just uneasy about being 0-2, Morgan, and the Princeton similarities in some aspects of the matchup.

Page 1 of 14 1234>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.02 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:07 AM