Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: NIT at NC State        (Topic#22950)
mobrien 
Senior

Loc: New York
Reg: 04-18-17
03-22-19 03:15 PM - Post#282484    

This will be a much, much more difficult test than Georgetown. NC State, by all rights, should have been a tournament team (KP #35), compared to a very inconsistent Georgetown team (KP #99) that was only almost on the bubble because of an over reliance on looking at Q1 wins instead of the whole resume.

NC State's coach, Kevin Keatts, is a former Pitino assistant who runs the same system: presses the whole game. That's going to be the biggest challenge for us, since they're pretty good at it too; NC State forces the 27th-most turnovers in the country. If Juzang isn't able to go, even more than usual is going to be on Bryce and Noah's plate. The two of them will need to keep their turnovers to collectively around 6 or 7 for us to stay in it.

NC State also gets the 14th-most offensive rebounds. We're going to need a good game from Lewis, and another solid Baker game if we're going to have a chance.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
03-24-19 10:21 AM - Post#282574    
    In response to mobrien

Ok, last time out I predicted that senior Co-captain Weiner Perez might start - and he did! Weisner is a real battler and seems to perform well against big teams (e.g., Kansas and now Georgetown). I also suggested the re-emergence of ROBERT Baker. Baker did play and was a key contributor to the Crimson victory.

Another idea is prompted by the longer 3 point line being used in the NIT. Wouldn’t be surprised to see the other senior Co-captain Corey Johnson inserted for some long range shooting.

Good Luck today!

digamma 
Masters Student

Loc: Minneapolis
Reg: 11-27-11
03-24-19 11:38 AM - Post#282578    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

I grew up following Georgia Tech. The Jackets were not a good basketball team. Their marquis win of the season was over NCSU. Of course, the Wolfpack shot 31% that night. Here's hoping that happens again?

Perimeter defense will really be tested between Dorn and Johnson. Excited to watch these guys at least one more time though.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
03-24-19 06:29 PM - Post#282628    
    In response to digamma

It’ll be good to see Harvard play one more time this season, but I’ll be impressed if they keep the TO rate under 30%.

Always tough to play a generic top 40 team on the road (like playing a top 15 team at home), but this one looks like a bad matchup to boot. Not optimistic about tonight - think it could get ugly.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
03-24-19 06:41 PM - Post#282629    
    In response to mrjames

NC State was ranked 23 in the country at one point and time but they did fold over the last 11 games especially scoring 24 points against Virginia Tech -- hard to believe. If Harvard applies solid defensive effort, the Crimson have an opportunity. NC State is probably "bummed out" playing in the NIT.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

03-24-19 08:39 PM - Post#282633    
    In response to bradley

Nice effort once Crimson adjusted to the pace.

Haravard out rebounding NC State 20-11 but have 12TO’s

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-24-19 09:40 PM - Post#282636    

Gotta say it was nice to see Aiken get totally stuffed like that during crunch time.

He has killed so many Ivy teams this year like that. Enough is enough.

mobrien 
Senior

03-24-19 10:02 PM - Post#282637    
    In response to penn nation

Other than that one spurt in the first half, we did a relatively good job handling their pressure. Turnovers were still a problem, but they weren't catastrophically bad.

Lewis was a beast inside, Baker blocked a couple of shots and was a difference-maker defensively, and Kirkwood was fantastic when the refs weren't fouling him out on utterly BS calls. (The block they called on him in the first half, and then the push off a play later were game-changing, terrible calls).

Bryce made a couple of big threes in the first half to keep us in it, and then a few layups at the end, but was really laboring with his knee there in the second half. He was trying to bring the ball back on that final possession — it slipped out of his hand before it got blocked — which was really too bad. I thought he was going to win it for us there.

A disappointing, but at the same time pretty encouraging performance. That was a good team in a tough environment, and we had a chance to win at the end. We can hang with the big boys — and we're getting Towns back and bringing in Ledlum. Just need to keep everyone healthy.

mobrien 
Senior

03-24-19 10:03 PM - Post#282638    

I don't know man. I'd say it was nicer when Aiken ripped Penn's heart out at the Palestra — the most fun I've had at a game in awhile — or ended Antonio Woods's career with that stepback three in his face in the Ivy semis.

Naismith 
Sophomore

Loc: RI
Reg: 11-11-18
NIT at NC State
03-24-19 10:19 PM - Post#282639    
    In response to mobrien

Sorry to see an "Ivy fan" expressing glee when Aiken didn't deliver on a chance for a road win vs. an ACC team. Thought I had seen a lot of pleasure expressed on several different pages here when Penn beat Villanova. And we all marveled at Yale's gutsy rebound and 2nd half effort vs. LSU.

Actually, based on where it landed, I'd guess Aiken missed the second FT on purpose and it worked perfectly when the scramble nearly produced an offensive rebound lay-in. Think they just advertised in two NIT games how strong they will be next season.

Edited by Naismith on 03-24-19 10:20 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

penn nation 
Professor

NIT at NC State
03-24-19 10:26 PM - Post#282641    
    In response to mobrien

I'm sure it was.

But probably not as sweet as Penn taking down Harvard in last year's championship game.

It's nothing against Harvard per se, more just how ridiculous Aiken was this year in the clutch.

Edited by penn nation on 03-24-19 10:29 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

03-24-19 10:45 PM - Post#282643    

Man, what a classless self-revealing post.

Frustrated over Penn getting swept in all 3 outings vs Bryce? Or was it the overall losing record in Ivy play?

penn nation 
Professor

03-24-19 10:50 PM - Post#282644    

No, it's Aiken.

Look, I can't stand Steph Curry either. So you should consider this a compliment.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

03-24-19 10:54 PM - Post#282645    

Really? Funny compliment though. You do realize that Bryce didn't play in any of the games vs Penn last year, even the one at the Palestra that you noted in you snippy comeback - and which thus had nothing to do with Bryce.

penn nation 
Professor

03-24-19 10:56 PM - Post#282646    

I know--was just referring to levels of enjoyment.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

NIT at NC State
03-24-19 11:08 PM - Post#282647    

Anything to be learned from this NIT experience?

- Crimson did a nice job responding to faster pace on the road.
- Haskett took over for Juzang, but possibly just because Juzang was ill. Haskett did a good job.
- Robert Baker was rediscovered. Defense and rebounding contributed more than his 3's tonight.
- Chris Lewis really enjoyed the more open lane under the experimental rules. Seemed much more nimble and quick. 16 pts on 7-7 shooting and 4 blocks vs top 40 NC State and he looked good. 12-15 over the two games
- Bassey still seems limited, but gutted it out. Hopefully he regains his 'ups'
- Crimson outrebounded Georgetown and NC State. Use of Baker/Djuricic/Forbes with Lewis is big
- This is an 80% FT shooting team (30-37 = 81% in NIT) with Bryce. It will be even better with Seth.
- NOAH KIRKWOOD IS GOING TO BE A STAR! Can't wait to see him with Towns and Ledlum next year.
- Too many TO's 16 & 17, but these were quick opponents that pressed and played a fast tempo.

Really looking forward to next year.

Disappointed we didn't get to see Corey, even though both contests were close.

Edited by HARVARDDADGRAD on 03-24-19 11:31 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

digamma 
Masters Student

Loc: Minneapolis
Reg: 11-27-11
03-24-19 11:15 PM - Post#282648    

Couldn't be prouder to support this team. Can't wait until next season.

mobrien 
Senior

03-24-19 11:53 PM - Post#282649    
    In response to digamma

The only thing I'd change is: NOAH KIRKWOOD *IS* A STAR.

He's grown up so much in just the last month. His decision-making improved so much from the beginning of the year. He stopped driving into charges/turnovers, and just figured out how to get to his spots on offense. His passing is really what separates him. He can almost be too unseflish at times, but we could, uh, use that.

What's impressed me the most is how complete he is as a player. He's been a plus defender, works hard on the boards, can shoot threes, post up, drive, find teammates. He does it all. I love seeing him at the point since he's more of a natural passer/playmaker than Aiken.

The bottom line: he is going to be Aiken and Towns's equal next year.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
03-25-19 09:14 AM - Post#282655    
    In response to mobrien

Nothing up yet at The Crimson on last night's game, but there is something from the NC State student newspaper, The Technician.

http://www.technicianonline.com/sports/article_b97...

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
03-25-19 09:39 AM - Post#282657    
    In response to rbg

I thought Harvard played a great game against a top 50 team. a different bounce here or there and they easily could have won that game in a very tough environment. I have been really impressed with Noah Kirkwood late in the season and in the two NIT games. The rebirth of Robert Baker has been critical as well. Credit to kids like that who stay ready when the call comes.

The Ivy League is going to be very tough next year.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.018 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:52 AM