Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Defensive Rebounding        (Topic#23962)
SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
02-13-20 09:29 AM - Post#299793    

Our Betley discussion got me looking a little more closely at our defensive rebounding numbers. Comparing us to a strong rebounding team, Yale, is interesting in terms of where the rebounds come from. Yale only has one guy (Bruner) in their top 8 who outrebounds AJ and Betley on the defensive end. The difference is depth. Everyone for Yale gets more than 10% of available defensive rebounds. For Penn, Martz, Dingle, Goodman, Jerome, and, remarkably, Simmons, all get a lower percentage than Yale’s weakest rebounder. While Yale has the most rebounding depth, looking at the rest of the league, Penn is the only team with more than two rotation players under 10%. Simmons has one of the lowest percentages in the league at any position.

I assume scheme is part of the issue here, and rebounding is a team thing — it’s not always just a question of who is actually getting the rebounds. At the very least, though, we have an interesting statistical deviation from the way everyone else in the league rebounds on the defensive end.

Quaker75 
Freshman

Reg: 12-29-13
02-13-20 10:02 AM - Post#299799    
    In response to SomeGuy

I think just block out and get the ball is usually the plan when playing at the defensive end.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Defensive Rebounding
02-13-20 10:19 AM - Post#299805    
    In response to SomeGuy

That's correct---as Asia pointed out, we aggressively fight through screens at the perimeter, and AJ tries to contest anyone coming through the lane. As a general matter, that would leave the player playing the "4" as the most likely person to be in position to get defensive rebounds. No question, though, that Betley has good knowledge of positioning for rebounds when his man is not taking the shot.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
02-13-20 10:34 AM - Post#299808    
    In response to palestra38

Thanks for creating a thread for this topic, SomeGuy.

A couple of years ago I was wondering why Darnell was such a statistically good defensive rebounder. I started watching what we were doing after an opponent put up an outside shot. We did what Quaker75 said. Everyone other than Foreman boxed, Darnell then scooped up the rebound. If for some reason Darnell had to box then Woods would scoop up the rebound.

Last year Antonio was the designated scooper for defensive rebounds most of the time, with Silpe doing some of the work.

I haven't been paying enough attention this year re: Betley and defensive rebounds but he's a few ticks above his prior DReb percent rate so maybe he's been the designee? It's either that or he's getting more boards because he knows where to be.

SomeGuy 
Professor

02-13-20 11:44 AM - Post#299813    
    In response to Quaker75

Agreed. But isn’t that the strategy for everyone? So why the difference in our numbers from everyone else in the league in terms of rebound distribution?

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
02-13-20 11:49 AM - Post#299814    
    In response to palestra38

• palestra38 Said:
That's correct---as Asia pointed out, we aggressively fight through screens at the perimeter, and AJ tries to contest anyone coming through the lane. As a general matter, that would leave the player playing the "4" as the most likely person to be in position to get defensive rebounds.

We counted on Max R. for 3+ years to man the D-boards. This was at the 4 and the 5. I have not looked up the stats on this, but I suspect someone will.

SomeGuy 
Professor

02-13-20 12:34 PM - Post#299818    
    In response to Streamers

Going back, this year is an outlier in terms of the number of guys in our rotation who aren’t getting defensive boards. Last year, only Dev and Donahue were under 11%, so we looked a lot more like the other Ivies.

For the record, Max R was about 18% for his career. 16.5% last year. So his career was right around Betley’s number for this year.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.018 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:58 PM