Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Casey Simmons & Perceived Recruiting Challenges        (Topic#24464)
Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Reg: 11-21-04
06-23-20 05:38 PM - Post#309478    

Here you go folks, have at it here and say whatever you like, argue, etc. Let's leave other thread to actual recruiting updates.

I'll start. Casey Simmons, top 100 prospect with good academic schools including Yale, Princeton, Northwestern, and BC in his final 7, where Penn didn't make the cut.

Some of the arguments I've heard are:
- We can't offer kids first (checks notes, and Penn offered first out of the Ivy schools from all I can tell)
- Matching is an issue with other Ivy schools (checks notes, Penn offered first, but Yale and Princeton have also offered, so therefore one would assume we could match)
- Scholarships (checks notes, there are of course scholarships he could take, yet Yale and Princeton are still in his final 7)
- Brand name (checks notes, and before the argument was really that Harvard was the only insurmountable "brand" for schools, are Yale and Princeton now being grouped in?)

I don't know exactly why we missed here, and it is disappointing, but be curious to see the reasoning why folks think we did.

Again, I will also add that this isn't the end of the world because we are still in the mix with a lot of good targets for 2021 including very good wing players. I just hope this isn't a precursor to general disappointment with the class. Let's see where we are with Ed Holland III when he cuts his list later this week. If we don't make the cut, then maybe I will start to get worried.

For the record my frustrations at times with recruiting doesn't mean I don't think the team can be good. I really like our squad next year if healthy and think we will surprise if that is the case (healthy is just a big if unfortunately and deeper recruiting would reduce that if).

pennsive 
Junior

Re: Casey Simmons & Perceived Recruiting Challenges
06-23-20 06:06 PM - Post#309480    
    In response to Mike Porter

To all my Penn-centric colleagues(of which I am a proud charter member), look at Ivy Hoops on Line to see exactly what the NCAA sanctions were. We are recruiting with a Scarlet A embroidered on our shirt. Add this to the the other issues that have been explored ad nauseam on this Board, and I can't imagine for this year and next recruiting will be even close to a level playing field. I have no evidence, but plenty of suspicions, why Grace C. and Amy G. would have agreed to such a recruiting hindrance. Let's wait and see if Steve D can do a work around. Tommy A solved his problems early on by dropping off the rising seniors from his team to create recruiting room, by having an assistant coach who would be on payroll two months later scrimmage with recruits, and make a not to subtle pass at our start recruit at the grocery store, or wherever that was and avoid sanctions.. Jerome's approach was to to line his own pockets at Penn's expense, and now we, not Harvard, are the poster stepchild for the NCAA. So, a plague on both their houses. Let's give Steve a chance at a work around; given the unfairness of what has befallen us, if he can put together a recruiting class this year and next that fills gaps (Rocky Balboa reference), maybe we can go the distance with the champ and not be just another bum in the neighborhood.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
06-23-20 07:38 PM - Post#309483    
    In response to pennsive

How long are we under sanction/penalties?

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
06-23-20 09:07 PM - Post#309489    
    In response to pennsive

Totally agree that not all is lost for 2021 by any stretch of the imagination and we are still in the mix for a lot of kids I really like from reports, videos, offers, etc. Here's to hoping a few embrace Penn and we have a really good class.

pennsive 
Junior

06-23-20 09:33 PM - Post#309490    
    In response to Penndemonium

Two summers of recruiting restrictions, notification to every recruit that we are on probation, why we are, what it consists of, plus other things that are less germane to successful recruiting.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
06-24-20 08:57 AM - Post#309500    
    In response to Mike Porter

If it helps, I think Simmons is sort of in the Matthue Cotton camp... early ratings based on (very high) ceiling. Still needs to have a senior season that proves it, or the 4-star and Top 10 New England rankings will slide. (Always have to be clear here that even with a slide, we’re talking a very likely good contributor to an Ivy team, but not the lock star that is generally associated with a four-star).

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
06-24-20 11:15 AM - Post#309507    
    In response to mrjames

That certainly makes me feel a little better, haha.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.179 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:38 AM