Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Username Post: Andre Hollins' Final Five        (Topic#10744)
mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
08-02-10 09:16 AM - Post#85410    

Ole Miss, Stanford, Auburn, Miami and Harvard

pennhoops 
Postdoc

08-02-10 11:36 AM - Post#85414    
    In response to mrjames

One of the weirdest lists I've seen.

mrjames 
Professor

08-02-10 12:09 PM - Post#85416    
    In response to pennhoops

Stanford is almost out of scholarships, so I'd be surprised if they screw Harvard again.

That leaves Harvard up against two mediocre SEC schools and a decent, but below average, ACC school, all of which are outside the top 50 academic institutions (Miami can flirt with the top 50 on a really good day).

I was stunned that neither of the home teams (TN or Memphis) made the cut.

From what I read, people seem to believe that Ole Miss and Stanford are the two frontrunners, though, again, the latter is low on scholarships.

pennhoops 
Postdoc

08-02-10 12:25 PM - Post#85419    
    In response to mrjames

It's the randomness of the SEC teams that makes it odd - usually you see a Vanderbilt tossed on those lists. I can remember Penn losing one guy to Ole Miss maybe eight or nine years ago; Auburn never. We lost one to Miami a matter of months ago. There's obviously a lot more that goes into these deliberations than how they'll be received by us but still... odd.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
08-02-10 12:34 PM - Post#85420    
    In response to mrjames

It isn't so strange a list.

Ole Miss - Closest major university to Memphis I think. Non-southerners tend to underestimate a degree from a place like Ole Miss.

Auburn - Maybe Auburn has been following Hollins for awhile. Maybe Hollins is a Charles Barkley fan. Not a bad place to wind up nevertheless.

Miami - For whatever reason Miami attracts academically inclined kids. Maybe we all want to take our talents to South Beach.

Stanford - If you are a smart HS athlete who can qualify for Stanford and Dawkins comes knocking with a scholarship offer, don't you answer?

Harvard - Amaker seems good at using his name to get in the door, dangling a Harvard degree, and getting the recruit's attention. I mean this as praise and not as a BRF-ian backhand slap. Even if the recruit declines the Harvard offer, isn't it cool to say that you rejected Harvard and not the other way around?

As expected, Stanford appears to have the inside track. Stanford may not have many scholarships remaining but they seem to have interest in Hollins so that's where I'm guessing he goes.

I'm curious why Vandy isn't on Hollins' list, though. Vandy was a late entrant for Odom, so it may be early to rule Vandy out of the picture.

mrjames 
Professor

08-02-10 04:40 PM - Post#85423    
    In response to TheLine

Stanford handed out six scholarships last year and three in 2009. I think they're full for this year with one coming off the books next year and possibly room for another. They're already in hot pursuit of Wiltjer and Randle (two names way above Hollins on most people's boards), so it's possible that the Cardinal could run out (not a bad problem to have by the way).

I'm originally from the South. I am certainly not underestimating a degree from Ole Miss. I am properly estimating it. And it's nowhere near the top 50. Miami, Stanford and Harvard I can understand. Auburn and Ole Miss are bizarre.

mrjames 
Professor

08-02-10 04:46 PM - Post#85424    
    In response to mrjames

US News and World Report has Miami at #50, Auburn at #88 and Mississippi in the generic and distant third tier to put a controversial number behind each of those names.

dzheng12 
Freshman

Reg: 08-13-09
08-02-10 07:15 PM - Post#85426    
    In response to mrjames

From his Twitter: "New final five: Stanford, auburn, ole miss, Harvard and Minnesota instead of miami"

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
08-02-10 10:50 PM - Post#85429    
    In response to mrjames

You're getting your hopes up. Don't. For your own sake, stay pessimistic. Let it be a delightful surprise if Hollins actually comes.

It's occurred to me that Harvard is particularly susceptible to getting jerked around by a high profile recruit who actually has no intention of going there. I mean, all the Ivies are at risk for this sort of thing, but Harvard, having such a prominent brand, and being so newly aggressive in pursuing such recruits, is particularly at risk. It's just so tempting for a kid or his parents to be able to say, "well, I/he could have gone to Harvard-- they offered me/him admission-- but I just couldn't turn down Stanford/Vanderbilt/Aubur n, considering the full scholarship/the higher level of basketball/the proximity to home. It was a tough choice, let me tell you."

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
08-02-10 11:18 PM - Post#85431    
    In response to Silver Maple

Exactly. Hollins is not realistic. Kenyatta Smith on the other hand -- Harvard, Penn, Vandy, Stanford -- is a recruit worth tracking.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

08-02-10 11:30 PM - Post#85432    
    In response to gokinsmen

I'm paying no attention whatsoever to Mr. Smith. I hope Mr. James isn't as well. Like I said, just let yourself be pleasantly surprised. Because all these guys are almost certainly jerking our collective chains.

TheLine 
Professor

08-03-10 09:03 AM - Post#85433    
    In response to Silver Maple

I was wrong, the Hollins list is an academic grab bag.

Ole Miss doesn't fare so well in US News rankings mostly due to relative lack of research programs, but they don't fare so well on median SAT either. Auburn is middling academically in the SEC, there are stronger choices and not just Vandy. Minnesota and/or Miami are both solid academically.

It's really unclear how much inference can be made from an early August tweet though, these 'final X' lists are meaningless. I don't remember Vandy being high up on Rod Odom's August wish list.

Over at Stanford it looks like they will likely have 2 scholarships available, as word is that Josh Owens will probably not be medically cleared to play this year.

mrjames 
Professor

08-03-10 09:44 AM - Post#85436    
    In response to TheLine

If he's not medically cleared to play this year and comes back next year, won't he be another scholarship that doesn't come off the books? Unless they pull a scholarship they granted to a former walk on to be able to free up two.

Not going to look it up, but I'd expect Minnesota to probably be a bit better than Auburn, by the rankings.

I don't think there's any reason not to be tremendously excited about seeing an Ivy on a list like that. For all the high-major potential kids that flirted with Harvard and ultimately didn't go of their own accord (Haws, Powell, Huestis, etc.), there are just as many that were extremely likely to have gone if it weren't for a snafu in either academic qualification or financial aid (Odom, Howard, Majok, Kofane, Ben Eze).

I look at it from the other way. There's going to be a perfect storm of an academically-minded kid with academically-minded parents, with a full-ride financial profile and the grades to clear the AI bar with ease. The odds will be against every single prospective high-major recruit, but they're strongly for at least one out of the bunch committing.

The Harvard football team does it from time to time (most recently this year, stealing Barker from Stanford), and they don't even participate in the upper D-I league.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

08-03-10 10:07 AM - Post#85437    
    In response to mrjames

Not to beat this dead horse as Hollins would be a great get, but he still plays a position in which Harvard is strongest and not one in which they're weakest.

TheLine 
Professor

08-03-10 10:21 AM - Post#85439    
    In response to Howard Gensler

Minnesota is ranked #61 in US News for what it's worth.

What I heard re: Stanford's scholarship situation is that if Owens is not cleared to play basketball then Stanford has another scholarship to use for a 2010-11 recruit. I don't know what Owens medical issue is and it sounds like Owens does want to return to the team but it also sounds like there is a high likelihood he won't be cleared to play.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

08-03-10 11:08 AM - Post#85441    
    In response to TheLine

I had read Owens was cleared to play

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

08-03-10 11:26 AM - Post#85442    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Yes - he's cleared

http://bayarea.sbnation.com/2010/7/7/1555723/Stan f...

TheLine 
Professor

08-03-10 11:33 AM - Post#85443    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Yes, he is cleared. Stanford has one scholarship to play with.

pennhoops 
Postdoc

08-03-10 11:52 AM - Post#85444    
    In response to TheLine

• TheLine Said:
Minnesota is ranked #61 in US News for what it's worth.

Which is absolutely nothing. Worth a bit more is that his older brother will be a freshman there this fall.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

08-03-10 11:56 AM - Post#85445    
    In response to pennhoops

Not sure if that's a point for or against. That fact that my brother was at Princeton was one of the reasons I didn't go there.

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.018 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:41 AM