Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 9 1234>» Last
Username Post: Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits        (Topic#10838)
gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
09-16-10 08:18 PM - Post#86539    

The thread of false hope for all Top 100-types that won't ever choose Princeton, but have us listed anyway.

First up: Desmond Hubert, a long, lean, athletic 6-9 C/PF who is a defensive beast with a raw offensive game at this point. #76 in ESPNU's Top 100. We're in his final seven -- but interestingly, we're the only Ivy there. He's a Jersey kid so I guess that gave us an edge? He had Harvard on his list but cut them loose.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/baske tba...

• Quote:
A phone call from Self might have excited Hubert, but it seems that the call from Harvard excited his family. "Yeah, it was a big deal with my family once they called," Hubert said of Harvard. "Education is a big deal in my family."

I posted this because it's rare to see Princeton listed alone among token Ivies. Just Harvard happens all the time. Ditto for "Harvard, Penn, and Princeton." But the Tigers alone as a "finalist"? Kinda intriguing. Anyways, wake me up when we're (not) in the final three!

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits
09-16-10 08:45 PM - Post#86541    
    In response to gokinsmen

One semi-related thought.

While a recruit like this is a pipe dream, I do feel like it's a nice recruiting plus that Sydney Johnson is one of the few Ivy head coaches (along with Amaker and Courtney) with elite BCS experience.

He can sit down with a higher-level prospect and say from experience, "Look, I'm at Princeton now, but I've coached and recruited for Georgetown. And any BCS coach that promises you significant minutes is full of it. Bill Self will treat you like a son...until he hears back from the #75 recruit. And then you're nobody. Trust me."

If and when any of these elite recruits ever comes to an Ivy, I wonder if this sort of thing can tip the scales in our favor.

pennhoops 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
09-17-10 09:32 AM - Post#86557    
    In response to gokinsmen

This should give you some indication of why ESPN (and really all) recruiting sites are bunk. The recruit profile includes Princeton in an undated afterthought and has a "considering" list that is 100% different from the list of interested schools in the notes section. The article you link to (dated 9/2/09) does not name Princeton anywhere. Harvard is mentioned, as are a host of altogether new schools from the previous two lists. I'm sure if you looked at him in Scout and Rivals you would find the rest of the BCS listed there.

If after looking at this you can say you have a handle on what schools this kid is looking at, the NSA could use your deduction skills. (And I know you posted this as lark and aren't taking it very seriously. I'm mostly just railing against the self-inflicted illogic of these recruiting things.)

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
09-17-10 10:09 AM - Post#86561    
    In response to pennhoops

Apparently Mr. Hubert has announced that he will, in fact be attending Princeton. In other news, the University has announced that, henceforth, all entering Princeton students will be issued jet packs for getting around campus.

You have the right attitude, kinsmen. He looks like a great player, but getting your hopes up about prospects like this one is a sure path to a nervous breakdown.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

09-17-10 03:07 PM - Post#86602    
    In response to pennhoops

Well, I guess that we are just desperate for some "news" and something to dream about, like luring a prospect of Harvard caliber.

And, hey, he is a Jersey boy! Hope springs eternal.

pennhoops 
Postdoc

09-17-10 04:13 PM - Post#86607    
    In response to Tiger69

I'm pretty sure there's one or two guys on someone's top 100 for 2012 or 13 listing Princeton right now. Dream big.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
09-19-10 10:06 AM - Post#86656    
    In response to pennhoops

So if Harvard signs the number 13 center, is the number 15 still a pipe dream?

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits
09-19-10 06:10 PM - Post#86667    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Probably. Smith signing to Harvard is HUGE, but not a shock considering he had a Final 3 of Harvard, Vandy, Penn. If we end up in Hubert's final 3 or so (that article says he'll cut one more time), then we can get overheated. Right now, it still looks like Princeton's just in there to please his family -- and I'm sure it would be nice to play where they can watch him regularly.

Also, Scout.com has Smith slightly above Hubert, but ESPN has Hubert well above Smith. Not that these ratings mean all that much beyond the Top 20 or so.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits
10-10-10 11:41 PM - Post#87205    
    In response to gokinsmen

As mentioned elsewhere, we're in Hubert's Final 5:

http://www.therecruitscoop.com/desmond-hubert-look...

Still feels like a token thing to please his family -- even though it'd be a GREAT move for an offensively raw, defensively dominant tweener (at the pro-level) like Hubert. And it's not like he wouldn't have a chance to shine against high-major talent with tough scheduling and Harvard (and Penn's) current and future recruits. Let's see if we make a final 3 and/or have a gushing visit report.

On that note, one advantage I think we have over the BCS programs is that Princeton (like Harvard) has a truly idyllic campus look and feel. A place that can dazzle a recruit without being too big for a kid from Cream Ridge. And being a local recruit, the Princeton athletic department can easily arrange a great welcome not just for Hubert, but his entire family.

puband09 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-19-09
Re: Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits
10-11-10 01:43 AM - Post#87208    
    In response to gokinsmen

I think it's a distinct possibility at this point, especially if he gets a nice financial aid package. He's not leaving us on his short-list for nothing.

If he really cares about his academics and/or staying close to home, it could be the perfect storm for Princeton.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits
10-11-10 03:42 AM - Post#87209    
    In response to puband09

Not sure what the case is. After seeing an interview with him and reading that ESPN article, I get the feeling he's a good guy from a really sensible family, so he would leave Princeton on there just to make his parents happy even if he had no serious intention of going there.

On the other hand, I read on some Maryland blog that Hubert's stock had "plummeted" after a summer stint in which his offensive rawness was fully exposed. While these things are, of course, hyperbolic, he might think twice about accepting a (bench role) offer from Villanova or Maryland versus a four-year starting C/PF job from Jeremy Lin's conference.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

10-11-10 04:46 PM - Post#87220    
    In response to gokinsmen

I know nothing about Hubert except for what I've read, but if his stock really did plummet (and that could just be sour grapes from some coach left off his final 5) then there's a reason his stock has plummeted.

Additionally, if the kid's problems are on the offensive end, I wouldn't pencil him in as a four-year starter at any school hoping to compete for a League title, especially Princeton, in which the center is asked to do so much in the offensive scheme.

Remember how excited you were about Harrison Schaen. He was a terrific HS player, but his skill set never really meshed with how Princeton played. Plus it's difficult to imagine Hubert is any more athletic than Kareem Maddox and it took him nearly two years to have a meaningful impact.

Not saying he wouldn't be an awesome recruit for the Tigers, just saying that center at Princeton requires a lot of skill and versatility and he's probably going to have neither as a freshman.

puband09 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-19-09
10-11-10 04:50 PM - Post#87221    
    In response to Howard Gensler

Those are definitely valid points, but to me from what I've seen so far from Coach J, he doesn't just recruit talent, but rather he recruits talent that's going to work in his system. I doubt he'd be going after this guy if he didn't see some promise in his ability to contribute at Princeton.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits
10-11-10 05:15 PM - Post#87222    
    In response to Howard Gensler

Thanks, those are all good points, Howard. You can never guarantee a 4-year starting role, but you'd have to give him a chance to earn it -- maybe he's too raw to run the high post, but he'd play PF on offense and then guard the opposing center on defense (e.g. Kenyatta Smith).

Yeah, I don't really put much stock into the "plummeting" remark. It was in the context of, "Maybe Maryland can get Hubert now since his stock plummeted." Heck, I'd love to have a guy whose low-point is signing with Maryland! Also, on Scout.com there's an article that says he had a "productive summer," and he's still drawing interest from new BCS suitors.

I would also say that definitions of "raw" are relative. Firstly, he may be raw for the Big East, but for the Ivy, Hubert may be way good enough from the get-go (though it may be at PF, not C). I mean, look how much damage an offensively raw Jeff Foote did with his size and a simple step-back move.

Secondly, Hubert is called one of the very top defenders in the nation -- that's why there's "concern" over his offensive game. He could be NBA good with improved skills. While Harrison Schaen was a 3-star recruit, so was Hummer. And as touted as those guys were, I don't think either compares to the truly elite caliber of a Desmond Hubert (just look at his mind-boggling offer list).

Even if there are growing pains, I think it's a safe bet to say Hubert has a much better chance of sticking at Princeton than anywhere else. Not only will BCS programs not be half as patient during his learning curve, but SJ's Princeton-offense is getting looser and less Princeton-y. I actually don't think it's so much that Kareem Maddox had to polish his game; it's more that they didn't know how to use him. Now that he's set the "template," I think Hubert could step in more easily thanks to Maddox.

Ah! We're getting excited over nothing...yet.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits
10-11-10 05:21 PM - Post#87224    
    In response to puband09

• puband09 Said:
Those are definitely valid points, but to me from what I've seen so far from Coach J, he doesn't just recruit talent, but rather he recruits talent that's going to work in his system. I doubt he'd be going after this guy if he didn't see some promise in his ability to contribute at Princeton.

Another good point. Although being an elite recruit who also happens to be a bright, small-town Jersey kid with an education-focused family seems too perfect not to go for it, anyway. After all, Hubert could always play the Maddox role (the non-system, just-get-him-the-ball guy).

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

10-11-10 05:35 PM - Post#87225    
    In response to gokinsmen

Also, I missed this before, but:

• Quote:
"Desmond Hubert, a 6-foot-10 combo forward out of New Egypt High School in New Jersey is starting to make plans in his recruitment.

Could be an offhand/incorrect tidbit, but yeah, he doesn't have to play C (even in the Ivy). Also says he's visited all of his Final 5 except G-Tech and that he's looking to decide soon. So I guess the pitch has been made...let's wait and hope!

Tiger69 
Postdoc

10-11-10 08:10 PM - Post#87232    
    In response to gokinsmen

All this talk and speculation already about how well he'll fit into our team and he is only a very long shot possibility.... Wow, if he does come, we'll have a whole year to hyper ventilate!

Tiger69 
Postdoc

10-11-10 08:13 PM - Post#87233    
    In response to Tiger69

PS Are there any other "pie-in-the-sky" Princeton recruits out there?

cornellfan4 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-09-09
10-11-10 09:04 PM - Post#87235    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:
All this talk and speculation already about how well he'll fit into our team and he is only a very long shot possibility.... Wow, if he does come, we'll have a whole year to hyper ventilate!

Yeah gokinsmen calm down, I hate to see what you'll do if he turns Princeton down

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Pie-in-the-Sky Recruits
10-11-10 09:27 PM - Post#87236    
    In response to cornellfan4

Well, I secretly fear/hope he or his family has his name on Google alerts (I probably would). That's why I wanna make a good case for Princeton, ha.

Page 1 of 9 1234>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.022 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:59 AM