Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
 Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Loyola vs Fairfield-- MAAC CHAMPIONSHIP        (Topic#13276)
LoCo2011 
Senior

Reg: 01-05-08
03-04-12 07:40 PM - Post#123960    

Such an incredible feeling. Didn't play a great game... Walker looked good, I know I get on him hard but when he plays a game like today he deserves the praise too.

Etherly was just an absolute monster inside. I'm a little worried about how we are going to handle the zone, I'm still not comfortable watching us try to break it.

But this is awesome. Go Hounds!!

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
Re: Loyola vs Fairfield-- MAAC CHAMPIONSHIP
03-04-12 07:47 PM - Post#123962    
    In response to LoCo2011

Jimmy is one win away from that lifetime contract.

Get. It. Done.

Go Hounds!

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
Reg: 02-08-07
03-04-12 07:48 PM - Post#123963    
    In response to LoCo2011

Never thought you would be able to type that headline did you?

For the first time in along time we have meaningful Loyola basketball in March. Now that we are in the championship all bets are off just go out and play and see what happens. This is the most excited I've ever been about anything Loyola so I'm hoping we dont have a huge letdown. Fairfield will again be without Needham which I actually think helps them and one of their guards off the bench, Fields, got hurt today and I dont know if he'll play. Regardless of who F'Field puts on the court we have to play defense, rebound, and hope Olson, Drummond, and Cormier knock down a few shots.

Lets Go Hounds. I want to see our name called on selection sunday.
It's Not Worth Winning if You Can't Win Big

WOFM 
Freshman

Reg: 02-24-11
03-04-12 08:12 PM - Post#123972    
    In response to loco09

We're undefeated in MAAC title games, so what's there to worry about?

Opie 
Freshman

Reg: 11-12-07
03-04-12 08:30 PM - Post#123975    
    In response to WOFM

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy!!!!!!! Loyola GREYHOUNDS one win away from The Big Dance!!!!!!!!!!!!

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
03-04-12 09:39 PM - Post#123997    
    In response to Opie

Anyone know if the school is making any effort to get more students to the game tomorrow. It would be great to have as many fans as possible there to cheer on the team.

Rick 
Freshman

Reg: 11-04-11
03-04-12 09:49 PM - Post#123999    
    In response to loco09

Kids are all away for break...been our luck all year
If the game was anywhere close I could see some kids trying to make it on their own.
Looks like the crowds have been sparse. Has anyone been there to see the games live?

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
03-04-12 09:52 PM - Post#124000    
    In response to Rick

It's funny to see fans complaining about the tourney being in Springfield and its at most a 2 1/2 to 3 hr drive for most schools and yet they never consider the fact that its a 7 hr drive from Baltimore.

LoCo2011 
Senior

03-04-12 10:08 PM - Post#124005    
    In response to loco09

yeah the whole time I was always thinking to myself... if they make it to monday, I'm driving up...

now that it actually happened.. I'm doing stuff in the morning/early afternoon... probably will be done about 5 hours before the tip-off but mathematically cannot get up to Springfield in time for the tip.

I'll just have to follow them wherever our first round matchup in the NCAAs is instead

Go Hounds!

Bang Bang 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-03-07
03-04-12 11:38 PM - Post#124023    
    In response to LoCo2011

when's the last time we all felt this gitty about a Loyola game? Great feeling...I'm hoping for the best from the guys playing for the green and white. I've been waiting 11 years for this, and I know others on here are just as excited to see Loyola on the brackets.

jdubs 
Freshman

Loc: Rhode Island
Reg: 11-27-06
03-05-12 10:28 AM - Post#124050    
    In response to Bang Bang

Prior to the game I didn't think about Springfield being fairly close to all the other schools, in comparison to Loyola. There were a lot of Siena fans yesterday. Decent showing for Loyola fans considering.

Stadium was less than half full, in the beautiful city of Springfield. I believe the MAAC is trying to start a relationship with the Hall, but get the tournament out of Springfield if you want people to go. I prefer the rotation of Albany, Bridgeport and maybe the Rock in Newark. I don't believe they'll ever bring it to Baltimore. At least give Loyola fans a reasonable chance to get to the tournament.

Pumped for tonight. Go Hounds.

Bang Bang 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-03-07
03-05-12 11:43 AM - Post#124070    
    In response to jdubs

jdp94, just curious -- what's your reaction when you read this on Loyola's game notes for tonight?

This year’s freshmen – Tyler Hubbard and R.J. Williams – were less than one year old the last time Loyola played in the title match.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
Loyola vs Fairfield-- MAAC CHAMPIONSHIP
03-05-12 12:24 PM - Post#124079    
    In response to Bang Bang

• Bang Bang Said:
jdp94, just curious -- what's your reaction when you read this on Loyola's game notes for tonight?

This year’s freshmen – Tyler Hubbard and R.J. Williams – were less than one year old the last time Loyola played in the title match.

I don't need to read the game notes to know I'll be turning 40 in a matter of weeks.

It goes by fast. But I remember the last time like it were yesterday. I hope the kids at evergreen get to experience what we did in 94. Nothing like being a student and having your team go to the Big Dance. And then from selection Sunday and the lead up to the first round. You'll never have a better week on campus. I'm smiling just thinking about it.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
03-05-12 12:47 PM - Post#124085    
    In response to jdp 94

I'm really enjoying these last few days and hopefully we will all be even more excited come tonight and tomorrow. I love reading the Fairfield board as there are a few guys there that absolutely hat Loyola and Patsos calling him an obnoxious genius and saying that we dont have a chance if they come to play. Its going to come down to rebounding the basketball if we control the boards and take away second chances I think we win. I wish I would have got to experience a run like this while I was on campus but i am enjoying it now. I think this run bodes well for next season as well becuase it shows that Loyola can in fact get over the hump and play for MAAC titles now we just have to win it.

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
03-05-12 12:49 PM - Post#124087    
    In response to loco09

btw. just for fun and not to get ahead of ourselves but various brackets have us listed as a 15 seed now that Iona lost we are the highest seed left. I was hoping for a 14 but I wont complain as long as we're in the tourney. Best possible scenario if we make it would be to play our game in the Pittsburgh regional as that would be an easy drive for students/fans in the mid atlantic area.

jdubs 
Freshman

Loc: Rhode Island
Reg: 11-27-06
03-05-12 01:50 PM - Post#124108    
    In response to loco09

Just nice to see Loyola (MD) on the bracket. Hopefully they can lock that up tonight.

LoCo2011 
Senior

03-05-12 03:33 PM - Post#124122    
    In response to jdubs

I take back every negative thing I ever said about this program and especially Shane Walker.

Behind the boys 100%, all throughout today, I've randomly been thinking.. "we're in the MAAC Championship" and it's just an absolutely incredible feeling.. makes never missing a single game when I was a student, even those Sunday noon games when I would be with about 4 other students there so freakin worth it.

Nervous beyond belief but couldn't be more excited at the same time. I love Loyola.

Go Hounds!!!!!

loco09 
Masters Student
loco09
03-05-12 03:39 PM - Post#124123    
    In response to LoCo2011

I know the feeling 2011, I've been sitting at work and everytime I think about it I get a smile on my face. As long as we play hard tonight I will be happy but of course I want to win. I listened to Jimmy on the radio this morning and he seemed calm and collected.

DICKEY 
Freshman

Reg: 01-18-07
03-05-12 05:01 PM - Post#124167    
    In response to loco09

Can JDP or one of the other "veteran" alumni tell us about the '94 team that went dancing? For some reason I always thought Jason Rowe was on that team, but he came by a practice of ours a few weeks ago and said he played at LC from '97-'00.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
Loc: Atlanta
Reg: 07-19-06
Loyola vs Fairfield-- MAAC CHAMPIONSHIP
03-05-12 05:19 PM - Post#124179    
    In response to DICKEY

They were a bunch of misfits who as luck would have it finally all got eligible at the right time, and with the help of a great coach had a wonderful weekend. It was a wonderful team to follow, assuming you don't mind roller coasters and know there was a happy ending.

They were a 5 seed, had a very up and down year. The stars were Tracy Bergan, a good guy with a tough history who struggled to stay eligible, and Mike Reese, a BC transfer. Dave Credle, a DC kid who had started at Utah (?) but had a really bad knee injury and came home after it, was our center. (Poor guy couldn't jump, but was tough as nails. He always hit a 10 footer early in the game and never took the shot again the rest of the game, seemingly every time out.) Darius Johnson was the best freshman, and hit a clutch shot in the final. Mike Malone, now a Golden State assistant, was a guard.

Remember this is a team that won only 2 games the year prior and had a coach basically fired mid-season due to his personal issues, not to mention one of his recruits getting on the wrong side of the law during that season.

We beat St. Peters in OT, killed top seeded Canisius in the semis and then beat Manhattan to make the tourny.

And as JP says, I am smiling just thinking about it. Even thinking about the SGA president climbing on top of a dumpster right at the bridge in Charleston trying to make a speech at 1am to a bunch of drunk kids still celebrating. (was that before or after we met the bus as it returned?)

Would be nice to see hit happen again. And hopefully more often than every 18 years or so.

Also worth noting the women also won the MAAC that year, their first of 2 straight. Patty Coyle remains the best coach at Loyola in the modern era, men or women.
Jesus loves me.
I don't give a f--- what the rest of you think.

Edited by Lou on 03-05-12 05:21 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.014 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:46 AM