Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Yale        (Topic#19799)
Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-21-17 04:02 PM - Post#218939    

Yale had a 47 to 31 rb. edge and shot 50% from the floor to Brown's 36%, yet it came down to a questionable call with 3 seconds left. There was contact but Copeland was neither shooting nor making a move to the hoop, it was ticky tack that just as easily could have been let go. I'm not sure Jones would agree with MRJ's view of Brown's D, but Downey was too much size for Brown inside and Oni made 3 or 4 3s in the last 3 minutes. Spieth and Okolie were outstanding. Sad end to a great game.

Edited by Old Bear on 01-21-17 04:04 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
01-21-17 04:38 PM - Post#218943    
    In response to Old Bear

Brown came out very aggressive on O and D. Lots of movement on O and a lot of driving from the wings to get inside and either shoot, or more often kick out for outside shoot or drop down inside. Put lots of opportunities created. Yale's size made it tough for Howard or Fuller as they contested shots consistently. Speith was outstanding from deep and moving the ball. The D had Yale off their game and also made some key steals. I kept waiting for the Yale team I had read about to show up. With a lead of 40 to 28 things seemed promising. But to open the second half it was clear Jones had some words of wisdom during halftime as Bulldogs put their will on the Bears with some aggressive D and decided to go inside more consistently. Downey was 11-16 with a career high 27 and was too big and strong for the Bears interior D. I hope Matt DeWolf can help battle inside with players like Downey over the next few years. Speith and Blackmon both missed lay-ups inside they usually make, and the Bears missed the front ends of 1and 1's that was the difference in a close game. Oni of Yale looked very impressive at times and rather pedestrian at other times. But he sure rose to the occasion late in the game with three huge, contested 3's. But a youthful foolish T for something he said at the Brown bench almost lead to a Brown win. But the questionable call sealed Brown's fate. Tough end to a great game.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

01-21-17 08:56 PM - Post#218989    
    In response to JBears

Blackmon was 1 for 11 from the field. He has been a consistently terrific piece for 4 years, and I can't fault him for an off night. Too bad it was last night, but it does not tarnish is contribution to the Bears.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
01-23-17 05:26 PM - Post#219152    
    In response to Old Bear

I agree that Tavon is great. One of my favorite Bear PGs ever.

That said, this was probably the worst game I can remember Tavon playing. And he's the senior - he can't be the guy to give the ref an excuse to make that call.

And THAT said, it was a horrific foul call to make. Absolutely horrific to make that call in that situation. I think 4.5 out of 5 refs don't make that call. Just terrible.

It made me think that the refs were looking to give a makeup call after being worried about changing the outcome of the game by calling the T on the freshman. (Although I wouldn't have complained if the kid learned a painful lesson with a loss.) Because without that tech, Brown likely loses. And without the Tavon foul, Brown probably wins in OT.

LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Old Bear 
Postdoc

01-23-17 08:34 PM - Post#219176    
    In response to Bruno

Oni was out and Bruner had 4, as did another Yale starter. I would have liked our chances in OT. That said, it still in the loss column.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.012 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:51 AM