Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Tie breakers        (Topic#19870)
Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
02-04-17 12:16 PM - Post#220380    

Forgive me if this has been answered before, but I searched all over this site and others trying to get the list of tie breakers for the Ivy tournament seeding. Anyone have that? There is a high probability of ties with regard to both league records, head-head, etc. What would be next? point differential? other common opponents?

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-04-17 12:28 PM - Post#220381    
    In response to Streamers

Tie breaker 1): Team that will concedeNCAA spot to the 14 game Champion in event that that tie breaker team wins post season tourney.

If more than 1 team qualifies in 1) above,

Tie Breaker 2): Team whose starters can eat the most pizza in one hour.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Tie breakers
02-04-17 12:46 PM - Post#220385    
    In response to Tiger69

Tiebreakers:

1) Head-to-head
2) Record against already qualified tournament teams (this has been reported differently by some as taking the record against each team independently, starting with the 1-seed, then 2-seed, then 3-seed)
3) Average rating from a variety of systems: BPI, RPI, KenPom, Sagarin, there may be one or two others
4) Coin flip

As I've mentioned in other spots, under this tiebreaking system, if Harvard had lost to Princeton during the final weekend last season, and thus Penn and Harvard both finished at 5-9, it would have come down to the ratings tiebreaker, which Harvard would have won - so needing the ratings tiebreaker isn't totally farfetched.

Most likely, the ratings tiebreaker ladder would stack up like this:

1) PRIN
2) YALE
3) HARV
4) PENN
5) COLU
6) BRN
7) CORN
8) DART

It's not particularly likely that we get to that level (especially if Brown wins at Columbia tonight), but hope that helps!

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
02-04-17 01:52 PM - Post#220390    
    In response to mrjames

Thanks!

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
Re: Tie breakers
02-06-17 12:59 AM - Post#220640    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:

3) Average rating from a variety of systems: BPI, RPI, KenPom, Sagarin, there may be one or two others

One assumes that this list is different for the women, since KenPom and BPI do not rate them.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

mrjames 
Professor

02-06-17 09:20 AM - Post#220645    
    In response to dperry

I don't think the women have ratings at all, but I don't remember exactly. The men's hoops coaches just added that because they basically wanted to guarantee that we wouldn't get to a coin flip. I don't think the women's coaches had the same trepidation.

IvyBballFan 
Masters Student

Loc: Central Florida
Reg: 11-19-09
02-07-17 12:33 AM - Post#220751    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:
I don't think the women have ratings at all, but I don't remember exactly.

Here are three places where NCAAWB teams are rated on a rolling basis:

www.rpiratings.com/womrate.php

realtimerpi.com/college_Women_basketb all_rpi.html

www.masseyratings.com/

Not clear how accurate they are, but they do exist.

mrjames 
Professor

02-07-17 01:29 AM - Post#220753    
    In response to IvyBballFan

Sorry - I was unclear. There are definitely plenty of sites that provide women's basketball ratings. What I meant was that the Ivy women's tiebreakers don't include ratings as one of the steps like the men's tiebreakers do.

digamma 
Masters Student

Loc: Minneapolis
Reg: 11-27-11
02-12-17 11:13 AM - Post#221484    
    In response to mrjames

So, thinking about tie breaker scenarios where either Harvard or Yale finish 12-2 with Princeton. In that scenario, pretty much the only way Princeton isn't the #1 seed is if the tie is with Harvard and someone other than Columbia is the fourth team in?

Otherwise we always go to the third prong which Princeton wins?

mrjames 
Professor

02-12-17 11:37 AM - Post#221496    
    In response to digamma

I'm making assumptions on how they'll break seeding ties for teams *in* the tournament versus to get into the tournament, but assuming the rules are the same, here's what I'd see happening:

Most likely Princeton would drop the game at Yale AND one of its other road games or home vs. Harvard. Meanwhile, for Harvard or Yale to get to 12-2 (they can't all get to 12-2 together because of Harvard's loss to Columbia), either one would have to beat Princeton and the other one to get there.

Let's take those two separately:
Harvard/Princeton at 12-2
This actually favors Harvard if Princeton's other loss is at Yale. Harvard would have to win out (including vs. Yale and at Princeton) to get to 12-2. At that point it would have split with Princeton, but would have swept No. 3 Yale, whereas Princeton just split.

If Princeton beats Yale but loses at Columbia, then Princeton is favored due to the ratings tiebreaker. If Princeton beats Yale but loses one of the other non-Columbia road games, then it all depends on who gets into that fourth spot, but probably favors Princeton (because either Columbia is 4th - a Princeton tiebreak win - or Penn is - at worst kicking it to the ratings tiebreak where Princeton wins).

Yale/Princeton at 12-2:
Yale is completely dominated in the tiebreakers. Either it finishes with the exact same results as Princeton, kicking it to the ratings tiebreak, where it loses, or Princeton sweeps Harvard and loses some other game, meaning that Princeton would win on record versus the No. 3 seed.

So, really, there's only one realistic (but still highly, highly unlikely) way that Princeton doesn't win a tiebreak for the number one seed.

digamma 
Masters Student

Loc: Minneapolis
Reg: 11-27-11
02-12-17 02:04 PM - Post#221513    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:

Let's take those two separately:
Harvard/Princeton at 12-2
This actually favors Harvard if Princeton's other loss is at Yale. Harvard would have to win out (including vs. Yale and at Princeton) to get to 12-2. At that point it would have split with Princeton, but would have swept No. 3 Yale, whereas Princeton just split.

If Princeton beats Yale but loses at Columbia, then Princeton is favored due to the ratings tiebreaker. If Princeton beats Yale but loses one of the other non-Columbia road games, then it all depends on who gets into that fourth spot, but probably favors Princeton (because either Columbia is 4th - a Princeton tiebreak win - or Penn is - at worst kicking it to the ratings tiebreak where Princeton wins).

I think the underllined point is where I was getting mixed up with the record vs. other qualified teams. Didn't know if it was total combined record or going line by line. If line by line, I'm totally on the same page.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.202 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:35 PM