Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Princeton Game #2        (Topic#20059)
GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
03-04-17 10:13 AM - Post#224667    

Dartmouth Basketball
Predictions Update
Mar 4, 2017
• After beating U Penn 76-74 yesterday, Dartmouth is now projected to finish the regular season 7-20 (4-10 Ivy).
• We currently rank Dartmouth as the #282 team in the country, and the #8 team in the Ivy.
• Next game: Sat, Mar 4 at #64 Princeton. Our power ratings give the Big Green a 3% chance to win.
"...no excuses - only results!”

hoopla 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-28-12
03-04-17 07:57 PM - Post#224778    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

Tough first half.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
03-04-17 08:10 PM - Post#224785    
    In response to hoopla

Yep. I don't think we're going to pull this off.

But baseball season should be fun!

SomeDartmouthStudent 
Freshman

Reg: 11-30-16
03-04-17 08:56 PM - Post#224819    
    In response to Go Green

Prettt disheartening that we weren't ready to play today. Obviously Princeton is good, but no one outside of maybe Boudreaux and some of our deep rotation players looked like they wanted to be out there.

Lack of motivation is on the coach, especially in a game that had the potential to be as big as this.

Oh well- on to next year!

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-04-17 10:29 PM - Post#224889    
    In response to SomeDartmouthStudent

Apparently Dartmouth wasn't the only team still drained from last night's games. Look what just happened in Philly. Boudreaux still exceptional.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

03-05-17 07:13 AM - Post#224918    
    In response to Tiger69

Tied for sixth in the Ivy sounds better than tied for last place.

Go Green 
PhD Student

03-05-17 12:33 PM - Post#224987    

• SomeDartmouthStudent Said:
Prettt disheartening that we weren't ready to play today. Obviously Princeton is good, but no one outside of maybe Boudreaux and some of our deep rotation players looked like they wanted to be out there.

Lack of motivation is on the coach, especially in a game that had the potential to be as big as this.

In McLaughlin's defense, there is no shortage of weekends in Dartmouth history when we traveled in the P-P weekend, played competitive (sometimes winning, sometimes a close loss) on one night, and got blown away the other night.

hoops123 
Freshman

Reg: 12-14-16
03-05-17 07:44 PM - Post#225125    
    In response to Go Green

Disheartening to say the least. Thank God for Boudreaux. 7-11 for 15 points and 9 rebounds. One person came to play. Wright? 0-9 from the field. 0 points! 5 rebs. Smith? 0-5 from the field. 0 points! Dickenson, our 5? 3 points and 1 rebound. Fleming, 2-6 from the floor, 4-4 FT and ZERO defense. 8 total points. OUR STARTERS SCORED 26 POINTS THE WHOLE GAME AND BOUDREAUX HAD 15 OF THEM! And no it wasn't only Princeton's defense. We could not shoot. But in addition to our horrible offense, our defense was equally atrocious. Fleming, Johnson(3 total points) and Wright were the worst. All standing around while their guys cut back door. Sagging off 3 point shooters. Going behind picks instead of over the top or not switching. Watch the replay. Clearly they are players that are not playing with intensity and passion. You would think that with one game to play and needing 1 win to potentially get into the tournament, they would leave it all on the floor. They didn't. The offensive and defensive effort from Fleming, Wright, and Johnson was unconscionably bad. I for one say thank God Fleming is gone. Did anyone see our "point guard" Fleming dribbling for 5-10 seconds at the top of the key, unable to start the offense and unable to make entry or wing passes? Did you see how many times his guy drove by him and someone was forced to help? I am certain that Henderson said to his team "guys, they can't play defense, especially Wright, Johnson, and Fleming, so attack the basket if they are guarding you". That's pretty much what they did. And Boudreaux and Dickenson tried to play cleanup and had to allow layups or they'd have fouled out of the game it happened so often. We need a complete reload on our team (keep Boudreaux, get Smith to work on his defense) with players that compete, have passion, and have high basketball IQ's. As fans, we can pray that McLaughlin's recruits can make immediate impacts and breath some life into this awful team. PS, Cam Smith was a breath of fresh air and he played with passion, as did Jonas Stakeliunas. Hey Coach, time to rethink those lineups next year. Princeton clearly deserved the win (master of the obvious) as we were outplayed badly in EVERY aspect of the game. Good luck to Penn, Princeton, Harvard, and Yale. We'll see you again next year!

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
03-08-17 09:50 AM - Post#225529    
    In response to hoops123

The amazing thing is that Princeton jumped all over Dartmouth while starting a walk-on who had played 6 minutes in his career coming in and basically the 5th string point guard. I do think it is relevant as to the Boudreaux conversation, as you got to see what Weisz and Cook look like playing with deep reserves. Of course, we can argue whether that means Weisz and Cook are better than Boudreaux, or whether it means that Princeton's 16th and 17th guys on the bench are better than Dartmouth's starters. Or, I guess, whether it just proves your contention that the coaching is bad (though somehow better than Cormier). Regardless, I think you got a glimpse of what Weisz and Cook might look like playing for Dartmouth.

SecS3 
Junior

Reg: 03-17-16
03-08-17 12:44 PM - Post#225588    
    In response to SomeGuy

An interesting observation. While Boudreaux is obviously a terrific player, I think his stats are somewhat inflated because he has to be THE MAN on a bad team. He has to score more, rebound, etc. Had he played for Princeton, he might be a better player but probably would have had less impressive stats. Just my two cents.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
03-08-17 01:37 PM - Post#225602    
    In response to SecS3

AS a Tiger fan I have only seen EB play in his games against the Tigers. His stellar effort in the first game this year in Hanover enabled the Big Green to grab a narrow lead at the half, the only Ivy team to do that this season. Only an otherworldly half by Weisz kept Dartmouth at bay. Last Saturday I watched from courtside. He never stopped working, even when the game was long gone. He is an obvious All-Ivy first teamer this year.

SomeDartmouthStudent 
Freshman

Reg: 11-30-16
03-08-17 01:54 PM - Post#225607    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

Your observation highlights the lack of talent at Dartmouth. Boudreaux posted an efficient and solid outing against a team that not only game planned for him, but is also the top defense in the league. The counter to your argument, is that as the sole "star" on the team, every team they play prepares for the game by determining how to stop him.

As for stats, is it possible to say that he would drop on a better team? Given room to work and a lower frequency of double teams, I think he would put up similar (if not more efficient) stats. Certainly If he had players that could make shots he certainly would improve on the assists side of things

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-08-17 03:55 PM - Post#225639    

Boudreaux was the best post offense guy in the league and vacuumed up a lot of rebounds. He had to husband his fouls and his energy some on D, because Dartmouth would stop scoring without him on the floor to occupy defenders as well as score. Given that defenses were geared to make him take tough shots, his efficiency numbers at high usage were good. But his counting stats were undoubtedly inflated by the weakness of his teammates. I would have no trouble with him as my first-team all-Ivy center. But POY would be a big stretch.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

03-08-17 05:45 PM - Post#225690    
    In response to SRP

EB is the best player in the Ivies. The fact that he is doing what he does against double and triple teams is incredible. It's a travesty that he didn't get First Team. I understand POY. He can't help coaching or who his teammates on the floor are. To top it all off he does it playing out of position most of the time. On a better team he'd be an even better player. He'd be more efficient. His counting stats might go down but his advanced stats would go up. He routinely makes tough baskets.

It takes talent to make tough baskets. Any decent player should be able to knock down an open three. One pound dribble, side step 3 ball to bring the game within reach versus Columbia that's talent. Tough acrobatic layup versus URI, talent. The Ivy League is not helping Dartmouth or the League by giving its best player 2nd team honors.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

03-08-17 06:49 PM - Post#225707    

and another thing....

Boudreaux was nominated to the U.S. Basketball Writers Association All-District team. Second year in a row. Steven Spieth was the other ivy player to make the list. None of the other all Ivy honorees made the list. Yet somehow Boudreaux only rates 2nd team all Ivy. SMDH.

Joe.Yemly 
Freshman

Reg: 03-08-17
Princeton Game #2
03-08-17 11:46 PM - Post#225813    

• GoBigGreenBasketball Said:
and another thing....

Boudreaux was nominated to the U.S. Basketball Writers Association All-District team. Second year in a row. Steven Spieth was the other ivy player to make the list. None of the other all Ivy honorees made the list. Yet somehow Boudreaux only rates 2nd team all Ivy. SMDH.

Keep in mind, the All District team that Evan made (District 1) only pulls from schools in the states of ME, VT, NH, RI, MA, CT. So Dart, Brown and Yale are the only teams in the Ivies that would be eligible. So, while I'm not belittling Evan's accomplishment, it's not fair to use this as a basis for him to be on 1st team. The other Ivies are in district 2, which holds a ton of high level programs (NY, NJ, DE, DC, PA, WV)

...New to the board. Look forward to contributing

Edited by Joe.Yemly on 03-08-17 11:48 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Re: Princeton Game #2
03-09-17 12:53 AM - Post#225825    
    In response to Joe.Yemly

It's not a basis it's merely a talking point. The basis was averaging a dbl dbl in conference versus a dbl team every night. Being tops in scoring in the Ivy. Doing it in and out of conference play. Leading his team in major statistical categories.

The comparison was more anecdotal, to the reasons above. I find it ironic that a player who added so much to a team that ended up at the bottom of the league can be recognized by basketball writers for what he brought to the team versus the 1st team Princeton 14-0 selections that didn't get a nod by writers in their district. Throw in that Vermont went 16-0 in conference and had a player on the list in their district.

Go Green 
PhD Student

03-09-17 07:44 AM - Post#225836    
    In response to Joe.Yemly

• Joe.Yemly Said:

Keep in mind, the All District team that Evan made (District 1) only pulls from schools in the states of ME, VT, NH, RI, MA, CT. So Dart, Brown and Yale are the only teams in the Ivies that would be eligible.

Why not Harvard?

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
03-09-17 08:56 AM - Post#225842    

I think those types of awards become much more statistical in nature, because the pool of teams is so much larger, and you have somebody besides the coaches doing the voting. It becomes very hard for anyone to have seen everyone play more than once or twice.

Joe.Yemly 
Freshman

Reg: 03-08-17
03-10-17 10:55 AM - Post#226043    
    In response to Go Green

• Go Green Said:
  • Joe.Yemly Said:

Keep in mind, the All District team that Evan made (District 1) only pulls from schools in the states of ME, VT, NH, RI, MA, CT. So Dart, Brown and Yale are the only teams in the Ivies that would be eligible.

Why not Harvard?

You're correct. Missed that!

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.021 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:18 PM