Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: MH's future        (Topic#20156)
Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-16-17 06:00 PM - Post#227388    

And while we are speculating...

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
03-18-17 11:05 AM - Post#227537    
    In response to Tiger69

There is often a domino effect that creates unanticipated job openings. After watching Rhode Island take it to Creighton yesterday you have to wonder if Danny Hurley will become a candidate for a Power 5 conference job like Indiana. Last year he was mentioned for the Rutgers and St. John's openings and the previous year his brother moved to Arizona State after just 2 years at Buffalo. The coaches at Wichita State and Dayton have also been listed as candidates to make the jump from a mid-major.

The pay package would be better for Coach Henderson at a place like Rhode Island and the A10 may be a better platform than the Ivies to ultimately ascend to a big-time job if that is his ambition. In any case it was a relief that in his post-game comments after the ND heartbreaker he didn't profess that he "love, love, loves" Princeton basketball!

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
03-18-17 11:44 AM - Post#227541    
    In response to Tiger81

As you suggest, there could be a chain reaction. I looked at the names of coaches being mentioned for the Indiana job and it might free up a good high end mid major coaching job that might be a step to a "big" job down the road. Same may be true when they fill the CAL job.

Henderson may well get a good opportunity but let's hope he stays -- deep down, I believe that he will be leaving. If he does stay, it says a lot about what he thinks about prospects of Tiger basketball.

At PrincetonTigers.com, they have a video of Mitch, Weisz, Cook and Cannady post-game. After watching the video, I would want my son to play for Henderson.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
03-18-17 11:51 AM - Post#227542    
    In response to bradley

Mitch has plenty returning and coming in not to need to jump. I think your right to talk about the second-order effects, though. I don't think Mitch would be in play for any of the current openings, but what if, say, Collins got plucked from Northwestern. Or something like that. That's where I think things could get interest.

But a lot of talent on that roster, so he can afford to wait for the right opportunity.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

03-18-17 12:23 PM - Post#227545    
    In response to Tiger81

It is evident to most that an Ivy bball coaching job is a very unusual situation for a candidate, and the candidate must be drawn by other priorities than simply cash. Unless policies change, Princeton, for example, will NEVER win a bidding war against a power conf U or a high major. The only way to recruit, or retain, an exceptional coach is through appeal to other priorities (educational environment, quality of life, identity with Ivy values, non-cash perks, family connections, institutional loyalty or appeal, etc.). A comfortable financial package is necessary, but not sufficient. But, if a current full prof's salary is not viewed ss sufficiently comfortable by the candidate, we can't compete.

SJ is unfairly maligned, if we assume that his reason for accepting Fairfield was solely a big pile of $ on the table. He had other attractions to FU, personal friends, religion and others, that supplemented a cash package that we would never match. Still, he is member of the Princeton Family. That growing family is always there when/if a SJ, JT III, etc. moves to another position.

For now, perhaps MH and his family are developing stronger ties in the community that might offset all but very few extremely lucrative and otherwise attractive matches. The U can only try to accommodate MH as much as possible within its financial guidelines until one of those comes along for Mitch. We can only hope. If/when the day comes, I'm confident that there will be a line of fine young candidates vying to fill his shoes.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
MH's future
03-18-17 01:11 PM - Post#227548    
    In response to Tiger69

Just watched the post-game press conference video. Weisz sure sounds like a future Princeton coach.

Edited by SRP on 03-18-17 01:11 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Re: MH's future
03-18-17 01:54 PM - Post#227551    
    In response to SRP

Tough to watch -- Spencer and Devin were still, noticeably, coping with their dissappointment from the game. Classy reactions though, no excuses. We shall hear much more from Mssrs. Cannady, Stephens and Bell in the year(s) ahead.🐅

TigerFan 
PhD Student

03-18-17 03:03 PM - Post#227558    
    In response to Tiger69

The emotions are really raw on that video. You can tell that the guys really came to win, and expected to win, not just to show well. Thank you Tigers for an incredible season. I will really miss the seniors but future is very bright indeed.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

03-18-17 03:33 PM - Post#227560    
    In response to TigerFan

I encourage fellow Tigers to email Mitch (mgh@princeton.edu) and pass on your appreciation of the coaches and team members and of what a great season they had. We are a small tribe. But, our support is important to them.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
03-18-17 04:19 PM - Post#227565    
    In response to Tiger69

In one of the earlier interviews, Henderson mentioned the "modern" Princeton offense and the three man game. He specifically mentioned Kittles as contributing to this.

I would think Kittles would be a great snag for a low D1 team willing to gamble. His name alone would help recruiting.

And even if Sydney Johnson left only for the doubling of his salary, who could blame him! Fairfield is a great school, fine academics, and a good basketball heritage.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
03-19-17 11:09 AM - Post#227677    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:
Mitch has plenty returning and coming in not to need to jump. I think your right to talk about the second-order effects, though. I don't think Mitch would be in play for any of the current openings, but what if, say, Collins got plucked from Northwestern. Or something like that. That's where I think things could get interest.

But a lot of talent on that roster, so he can afford to wait for the right opportunity.

I know it wasn't your primary point, but Collins is not going anywhere. Unless Coach K retires and Duke goes after him, he will be at NW for the foreseeable future. It's where he grew up in a town he is adored at a school where they have given him the resources to compete in a Power 5 conference. There are not a lot of jobs he would leave NW for IMO.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
03-19-17 11:44 AM - Post#227680    
    In response to PennFan10

• PennFan10 Said:

There are not a lot of jobs he would leave NW for IMO.

Agreed.

But UCLA could be one of them. If Alford goes back to Indiana, I’m sure UCLA will look at Collins.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-19-17 11:53 AM - Post#227681    
    In response to Go Green

No way does Collins leave this off-season. NU loses one starter and a reserve but that's it. It will be an even stronger team next year, one flush with confidence. And you know that the whole team and Collins now have a huge chip on their shoulder given what happened against Gonzaga.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-19-17 01:08 PM - Post#227688    
    In response to penn nation

It's funny how much people are hyping that one bad call against Gonzaga. It would have been a relatively minor setback had Collins not blown his cool and gotten the technical.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

03-19-17 01:19 PM - Post#227692    
    In response to SRP

NW has enjoyed a real strong following from the sports media so I'm not surprised by all of the outrage over that call. It was a terrible call but most games have at least one clunker. Collins' storming the court and handing over two points is what turned the momentum.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
03-19-17 02:16 PM - Post#227710    
    In response to TigerFan

NW will be good next year. The senior starter (Lumpkin) already shared most of his minutes with Skelly who is a sophomore. And the reserve Senior, Taphorn, was already filling in for Falzone, who was out for the year. So NW really returns their top 8.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-19-17 02:23 PM - Post#227713    
    In response to PennFan10

I'll take Lumpkin over Skelly but yes, this is a team that should be even better next year.

puband09 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-19-09
03-19-17 04:29 PM - Post#227730    
    In response to penn nation

Does anyone else ever look at the big picture of college basketball and think that it might be a better decision for any adequate Princeton MBB coach to stay in Princeton rather than compete in the coaching rat race? Sure, you'll make more money at a different school, but for how long? Carmody eventually got Canned from NU. JTIII would be out by now if he had a different last name. I'm honestly a little surprised SJ is still at Fairfield, and don't even get started on Joe Scott.

What exactly is these guys' long-term goal? If you stay at Princeton, you'll probably never get fired, and if you stick around long enough, you might become an NCAA legend. The pay is plenty to live a comfortable life in central NJ.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

03-19-17 08:20 PM - Post#227753    
    In response to puband09

MH has earned the right to gain a bigger paycheck. It's up to him if he wants to take it. Does anyone think Carmody regrets his decision to leave?

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
03-19-17 08:24 PM - Post#227755    
    In response to puband09

• puband09 Said:
Does anyone else ever look at the big picture of college basketball and think that it might be a better decision for any adequate Princeton MBB coach to stay in Princeton rather than compete in the coaching rat race?

Courtney Banghart says hi.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.013 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:23 PM