Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Cornell goes JUCO        (Topic#20201)
Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
04-01-17 07:16 AM - Post#228424    

Mike James has reported that Cornell has added two JUCO recruits in the last two weeks. Penn did the same last winter. Call me a curmudgeon, but since when is the IL taking people from JUCOs to play basketball? At least Amaker's has not gone that route. What is next, one and dones? Count me as not liking this trend, if that is what it is.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
Re: Cornell goes JUCO
04-01-17 03:08 PM - Post#228426    
    In response to Chet Forte

Penn only took one JUCO transfer. The second transfer was from FDU, and he'd already sat out 2015-16.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
04-03-17 04:46 PM - Post#228487    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

Cornell played with 2 front court players this past season. It appears that Coach Earl has gone with two JUCO players to add depth to this area.

Coach Donahue went with one JUCO last year, Caleb Wood, as well as one transfer, Matt MacDonald, this past year. I believe the coach had mentioned that he went this route since he felt these older players would allow the team to speed up its improvement, thus helping the record for this past season in order to get into the Ivy Tournament and help with future recruiting. While the Quakers did improve its record and got into the Tournament, it was more dependent on its underclassmen.

Coach Earl may be trying the same idea as Coach Donahue.

I understand that people may have concerns about the Ancient Eight schools going to heavily to the JUCO route. However, if these players have the academic abilities to get accepted to the IL schools and perform well in the classroom, shouldn't it be a valid option? Graduating from these schools can be a life-changing things for these players, no matter how well they perform on the court.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
04-03-17 05:53 PM - Post#228489    
    In response to rbg

Judging from the website pages of their various academic units, Cornell is generally welcoming to transfer students, with some bragging about the hundreds of transfers who graduate each year.

Looks like Princeton is slowly moving in a similar direction:
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016/02/03/pri...

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
Cornell goes JUCO
04-03-17 08:05 PM - Post#228494    
    In response to SRP

I am aware of a number of transfers, some of them JuCo's, who were probably better students than they were players. One I recall, now a surgeon on the West Coast, who was very instrumental in Brown's first win at the Palestra in Brown's one Ivy Championship season. (Now there is a good trivia question for non-Brown Alums).

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
Re: Cornell goes JUCO
04-03-17 08:17 PM - Post#228497    
    In response to Old Bear

• Old Bear Said:
I am aware of a number of transfers, some of them JuCo's, who were probably better students than they were players. One I recall, now a surgeon on the West Coast, who was very instrumental in Brown's first win at the Palestra in Brown's one Ivy Championship season. (Now there is a good trivia question for non-Brown Alums).

Hmmm....I had season tickets that year but as the game was on Friday night I wouldn't have been there (I often swapped with someone for an extra Saturday night ticket to take my girlfriend).

Murph 
Masters Student

Reg: 09-13-11
04-09-17 06:14 AM - Post#228648    
    In response to penn nation

It's too bad Columbia never attempts to recruit JuCo talent.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.014 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:22 AM