Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Columbia 34-Penn 31        (Topic#20555)
Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
10-14-17 11:18 PM - Post#233985    

Football is now 5-0. The basketball team was there en masse. Winning is contagious.

florida lion 
Freshman

Reg: 04-21-17
10-15-17 07:32 AM - Post#233986    
    In response to Chet Forte

Does Wainwright play basketball? Seriously, a great win and good to see the teams supporting each other. I'm sure the football players will be at Levien this winter. Hopefully, the BB team will show us some comeback wins of their own.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

10-15-17 09:27 AM - Post#233989    
    In response to florida lion

Mike Smith was having a great time with the crowd in my section. Lots of Mike Smith cheers. Seems like a great youn man.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
10-15-17 09:51 AM - Post#233990    

Although my team was one of the victims of Columbia's recent rise to prominence on the football field, it was fun to hear about the Lions' great win yesterday. A fine coach can make a big difference. There are some pretty long faces in Philly this morning.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

10-15-17 10:31 AM - Post#233993    
    In response to Tiger69

There seems to be more parity in Ivy football recruiting right now than in basketball recruiting.

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
10-15-17 12:38 PM - Post#234001    

At an event in Los Angeles, Bagnoli opined that player development is the key, as recruits are fairly similar throughout the league.
Smith, I think, was something of a good bb player, all-district or the like.
west coast fan

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
10-15-17 01:05 PM - Post#234003    
    In response to internetter

One of the most exciting football games I ever attended with Columbia winning at the end on a perfectly executed pass play from Hill to Wainwright. Fabulous atmosphere at Robert Kraft Field with lots of noise from the Columbia fans who filled their stands to capacity. Hard-fought game between two very good football teams. I am proud of my Lions and Penn's fans should be very proud of their players as well. Columbia/NYC and Penn/Philadelphia is really a great natural big city school rivalry and certainly much more so than Columbia/NYC and Cornell/Ithaca or Penn/Philly and Princeton/Princeton.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
10-15-17 04:53 PM - Post#234012    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

Looking at Penn's football team over the last two weeks (last second loss at home to Dartmouth and a blowout road loss to Central Ct. State), it appeared that this year's group is a good, but not great, team. With that stated, the Quakers had a number of chances to win yesterday's game over the better Lions team.

I was sitting on the Columbia side with a relative who is a Columbia grad, older alumni and football player families. Outside of the frustration with Coach Bagnoli's play calling at the end of the 1st half, the fans generally had a lot of confidence in the coaching staff and the players. As the game wound down, there was certainly frustration when Penn came back to tie the game at 28, but there was absolutely no thought that they would lose this game.

While I was disappointed in the outcome, I certainly could appreciate the joy from the older and younger Columbia fans. The older alums sitting near me were stating that this was the best Lions team in the last 50 years and all were thrilled to finally break the 20 year streak to Penn. As the crowd emptied onto the field and a few students tried to take the goalpost down, I was reminded of the similar actions at Franklin Field in the 1980s.

I congratulate the Coach, his staff, the team and its fans for a hard fought victory. Following Coach Bagnoli over these last few decades, looking at the administration's commitment, and watching as this team has improved over the last three years, I have a strong feeling that this will be the first of many successful seasons in the upper ranks of the Ivy League. (I also want to thank the fans in the stands and on the subway, who were generally friendly and mild with their ribbing.)

With Princeton and Penn down, things do not get easier for Columbia over the next few weeks. Next up is a visit to fellow 5-0, 2-0 Dartmouth, a really good team that also does not worry when it falls behind. Then, a visit to Yale to face a much improved Bulldog team. Then, they get a home contest against perennial powerhouse Harvard. If they can get through those games in good shape, they have a much easier schedule the last two weeks, with a visit to Cornell and a home game against Brown.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

10-15-17 07:00 PM - Post#234015    
    In response to rbg

Agreed--ski slope for the remainder of the season with
a tough Dartmouth team at the top, followed first by Yale and Harvard and then an inconsistent Cornell squad and Brown team which Princeton demolished yesterday 53-0.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

10-15-17 07:02 PM - Post#234016    
    In response to rbg

Very gracious comments. The only time I was down was when we were trailing 14-7 and Hill went out for one play, leading to the backup throwing a gift interception to make it 21-7. But Hill and Wainwright have ice water in their veins, and I think that Wainwright is a very special talent.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

10-15-17 08:37 PM - Post#234020    

Maybe the Lions should have used the freshman quarterback Josh Bean in that situation. After all, he has been brilliant as our wildcat all season. If you think Hill and Wainwright have "...ice water in their veins..." then you surely must love Bean for staying cool under pressure yesterday and making the right split decisions that helped Columbia defeat Penn. I suspect that Bean's role will expand greatly in the future.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.018 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:44 AM