Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Columbia vs Maine on December 30        (Topic#20842)
Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
12-16-17 01:21 AM - Post#240300    

Only one more DI opponent for the Lions before they start the Ivy League Season, namely Maine on December 30. In effect, that game will be the Lions' last opportunity to try a starting line-up of Smith, Meissner, Faulds, Hanson and Bibbs, or perhaps a starting line-up of Smith, Adlesh, either Faulds or Tape, Hanson and Bibbs. Of course if Castlin returns healthy, I would expect Engles' starting line-up to be Smith, Castlin, Faulds or Tape, Meissner and either Adlesh or Hickman. In my opinion, whatever line-up the Lions use it must include at least one freshman. The all-vet starting line-ups have been unsuccessful thus far.

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
12-16-17 12:57 PM - Post#240316    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

Given the frequent, major substitutions Angles makes, the starting lineup is of limited import.
west coast fan

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
12-16-17 03:40 PM - Post#240328    
    In response to internetter

Even if Castlin is not ready I would not start Hickman. I like a lineup assuming no Hickman or Castlin of Smith, Meisner, Faulds, Hansen and Bibbs. Second unit would be Tape, Adlesh, Hickman, Stefanini, Hunter. If Castlin is ready he should start in lieu of Hansen or Bibbs. Let’s play the guys with the highest upside.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

12-16-17 04:18 PM - Post#240337    

You are right, but that was Engles' style last year and it certainly was a difficult one to comprehend as his multiple substitution style seemed to be a major detriment to the team's performance specially in the Ivy League race. This year, however, Engles has changed his approach in regards to the rate of substitutions so that is no longer a major issue. The problem this year is the starting lineup he is using is repeatedly getting off to a great start only to see the lead collapse. In Columbia's case, the Lions are using an all veteran starting line-up with Mike Smith as the focal point. The question is what is going wrong game after game and how do you correct it. There is really nothing that unusual about the way the Lions are repeatedly losing game. I presume there are several well-known remedies in the coaching textbook. Regardless of whatever remedy Engles uses to thwart the declines, he really needs to give his best freshman players more playing time as a group so as to foster their individual skills and their cohesiveness as a group. In my opinion, the best way for that to happen is to put as many freshmen as possible on the floor with Mike Smith from the the start of the game.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Columbia vs Maine on December 30
12-16-17 06:05 PM - Post#240345    

Is it really the starting lineup that creates the problem, though? If Columbia is taking a lead early every game, isn't it the starters who are predominantly producing the lead? I'm curious what the plus/minus numbers are for the various combos.

Usually if a team consistently takes leads and loses them, they likely lack effective depth and/or they generally aren't as talented as their opponents. Less talented teams often play tougher early because they have an advantage in terms of game planning. To put it simply, Columbia game plans for Nova, but Nova does not game plan for Columbia. That means Columbia may have an initial tactical advantage, but that advantage goes away as the game goes on and the more talented team is able to adjust. To the observer, this can lead to the critique that there is a coaching failure, but in truth there may only be one approach that gets you the lead against a superior team, and once they adjust there isn't an effective counter to be made. As a Browns fan, this is how I generally saw Bellichick's Brown's teams -- looked great for a quarter or a half due to superior initial gameplan, but always lost in the second half. And lots of Browns fans thought he was a lousy coach as a result of the second half losses.

Could be what is going on with Columbia. But of course it could be a coaching failure. Just wanted to throw a competing theory out there.

internetter 
Postdoc

12-17-17 01:01 AM - Post#240375    

Thank you; I stand corrected about Engles substitutions.
west coast fan

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

12-17-17 08:55 AM - Post#240385    

I think part of what happens is that opposing teams try to get Meisner in foul trouble early, putting our second best player on the bench. And I hope I don’t sound like a broken record, but opposing teams don’t need to worry about Hickman when he is on the floor. What has been remarkable over the last few games is the stunning all around play of Mike Smith, who is playing at a POY level, but he is playing 38minutes a night and is going to need some help when the Ivy season starts.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
12-17-17 12:55 PM - Post#240398    
    In response to Chet Forte

Haven't watched the Lions this season, but a good rule of thumb is that when fans can't understand why a player is getting PT, the answer is usually defense.

internetter 
Postdoc

12-17-17 01:33 PM - Post#240401    

In an interview, Engles said he played his star at NJIT just about every minute.
west coast fan

Dr. V 
PhD Student

12-17-17 04:26 PM - Post#240408    
    In response to SomeGuy

I believe that Some Guy is right.

I've re-warched the Stony Brook game (watching a game the second time around reduces some of the cognitive distortions caused by a fan's emotional investment in a team), and it was pretty clear that Stony Brook had a good deal more talent. Then instead of feeling frustrated that our coaches supposedly again failed to help get us over the finish line in a game that we might have won, one starts thinking in terms of boy, what did they do to get us to lead and then stay so close for so long?

We were outshot overall (43.9% to 37.5%) and, incredibly, at the foul line (we were 13-23 for 56.5%, they were 21-28 for 75%), although we shot better from beyond the 3 point line (40.7% to 27.8%) and we were out rebounded 42-30. A good team almost always has one or two seniors who demonstrate poise, consistency and competence. Our one senior shot 2-7, 3-6 at the line with 2 rebounds and 6 TOs.

I'm beginning to think that our running out to leads and then playing fairly close for long stretches is some combination of Smith, who can be extraordinary on O but whose size limits his effectiveness on D somewhat, and a lot of smoke and mirrors. The "smoke and mirrors" includes some very good individual games by Meisner, Adlesh and others, and I do not mean to demean their contributions. My point is simply that we all may have overestimates the amount and certainly the depth of talent with which our coaches are working.

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
12-17-17 05:08 PM - Post#240411    
    In response to Dr. V

Sad, but probably true. After all, we lost the one senior in the lineup who was probably going to be effective (Castlin), so that most of the time, we are playing one relatively ineffective senior (Hickman) along with a large # of first years. Hence, although the longer term trajectory of the program is probably quite good, the team's lack of depth and experience caps what can be reasonably be expected for this season.

internetter 
Postdoc

12-17-17 09:19 PM - Post#240424    
    In response to cc66

Meisner, just about every game, Adlesh, starting recently, often the first sub if he isn't, are both juniors, provide experience and scoring.
Tape, also a jr., has been very inconsistent.

Point: with Smith, the key players have seen lots of minutes.

Perhaps a search for a reason for the pattern of the games: too many away, too little rest in between. The Ivy schedule poses its own physical demands; but at least there's a significant period during which to recuperate and plan for future games.
west coast fan

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

12-17-17 09:34 PM - Post#240426    

Tape is not a junior. He is a sophomore. So there is still hope. Hunter is a junior.

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
12-17-17 10:20 PM - Post#240428    

Here's the allocation of minutes through 10 games:

First years: 481 (24%)
Sophs: 543 (mostly Smith 364 & Tape 166)26%
Juniors: 662 ( 80% Meisner and Adlesh) 32%
Seniors: 339 (317 from Hickman)18%

It is a young team, with first and second years getting half of the minutes.

internetter 
Postdoc

12-18-17 03:16 AM - Post#240430    

Thanks for the correction, Fulvio.
west coast fan

internetter 
Postdoc

12-24-17 04:27 PM - Post#241260    

Maine game is audio only, apparently.
west coast fan

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

12-24-17 09:15 PM - Post#241269    

The Ivy League Digital Network appears to have the Lions' home game with Maine scheduled for both audio AND Video. Sarah Lawrence game also has a duel listing.

internetter 
Postdoc

Columbia vs Maine on December 30
12-25-17 01:20 AM - Post#241272    

There was a tweet a few hours ago that said audio only.
Men's Basketball Maine--Columbia-- 02:00 PM EST
Men's Basketball Columbia Men's Basketball vs. Maine | Audio Only
west coast fan

Edited by internetter on 12-25-17 01:38 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

12-25-17 07:07 PM - Post#241299    

The Ivy League Digital Network is still showing both audio AND video. Maine athletics is still showing both audio AND Videai. I haven't checked Columbia athletics yet, but it would be out of character for Columbia athletics not to broadcast a home basketball game and I can't find any such tweet on Columbia Basketball. Where did you see the tweet?

internetter 
Postdoc

12-25-17 08:59 PM - Post#241304    

This is strange because the last 2 lines of my previous post are from the ILDN site.

http://www.ivyleaguenetwork.com/columbia/schedule

C's pages are often somewhat behind times and the holiday period has few if any workinfg.

I don't recall the origination of the aforementioned tweet.
west coast fan

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.018 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:16 PM