Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Cornell        (Topic#21081)
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
02-02-18 02:42 PM - Post#245595    

Not much going on at the Cornell board, so I thought I would put this info up here.

Dartmouth at Cornell tonight at 7pm on ILN and ESPN3

Game Notes for Dartmouth: http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/attachments1...

Projected Starting 5 - Barry (G), Johnson (G), Wright (G), Emery (F), and Knight (F)

Cornell Projected Starting 5 - McBride (G), Davis (G), Morgan (G), Julian (F), Gettings (F)

The Big Green is shooting 25.4% from 3, 48.5% from 2 and 70.6% for FT. Offensive rebounding is 27.6% and defensive rebounding is 72.4%.

They are giving up 65.2 points. Opponents are shooting 36.0% from 3, 47.4% from 2 and 81.4% for FT

In Ivy games, Cornell is averaging 64.8 points. Morgan leads with 19.5 and Gettings has 14.8. After that, there is a big drop to Julian at 5.8 and McBride with 5.3

The Big Red shooting 29.2% from 3, 2 point 51.2% from 2 and 67.9% for FT. Offensive rebounding is 23.7% and defensive rebounding is 69.5%.

They are giving up 82.2 points. Opponents are shooting 39.8% from 3, 54.7% from 2 and 65.6% for FT

Cornell is 5-1 at home, and the one loss at Newman Arena was a 89-86 defeat to Niagara. They have two outstanding players in Morgan and Gettings. Julian is a solid player who can has the potential to get between 5 and 10 points and 7-10 rebounds. However, his numbers have declined in league play.

Bathurst and Gordon were the team's 3rd and 4th leading scorers in non-conference play with 7.1 and 6.9 points, respectively. Bathurst is out for the year. Gordon missed last week's game and it is unclear when he will be back.

Lately, they have been doing well when Morgan and Gettings put up a lot of points, and they do well from the FT line. Princeton took Cornell apart. Gettings had a very good game against Penn, but Morgan was shut down. They kept it close thanks to Gettings and Penn's poor FT shooting. At Columbia, the Lions shut down Gettings and the team missed a lot of FT. Last week, both players scored 54 combined and the team went 22-25 from the line.

If Dartmouth falls behind early, as they have done in league games so far, Cornell's defense should allow the Big Green to get back into the contest. However, if Morgan and Gettings are able to put up points, it should be just enough to get the win at home.

Any thoughts from the Dartmouth side?

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
Re: Cornell
02-02-18 03:02 PM - Post#245601    
    In response to rbg

• rbg Said:

Any thoughts from the Dartmouth side?

Its a game we can win. While Dartmouth has done an admirable job of keeping games close, we have to show that we can get over the hump and close the deal.

Get that first win, and getting others should be easier.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Re: Cornell
02-02-18 10:40 PM - Post#245730    
    In response to Go Green

[quote=Go Green} Its a game we can win. While Dartmouth has done an admirable job of keeping games close, we have to show that we can get over the hump and close the deal.

Get that first win, and getting others should be easier.

And... still searching.

Cooper 
Sophomore

Reg: 11-22-04
02-02-18 10:58 PM - Post#245739    
    In response to Go Green

Going to the replay to see which player fouled is one thing. Going to the replay to see which TEAM fouled in the waning seconds is another thing. Thoughts?

flinder 
Freshman

Reg: 11-16-16
Cornell
02-03-18 05:18 PM - Post#245856    
    In response to Cooper

Saw the replay of the foul called on Wright. Dubious call for sure.

Last night must have been a particular back-breaker, because they were winning a winnable game on the road on the front end of the toughest back-to-back road trip in the Ivies, the back-end of which is against another eminently beatable team. Consider this stat from the Dartmouth game notes, too: "Of the 19 Ivy League games played thus far, the road team has won just three times. All three wins have been claimed by Harvard."

Any word on why Chris Knight was unavailable last night?

Edited by flinder on 02-03-18 05:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

flinder 
Freshman

Reg: 11-16-16
02-03-18 11:51 PM - Post#245994    
    In response to flinder

13.5 hours of driving, according to Google Maps, between Hanover, Ithaca, the Bronx, and back home, and all to lose two games by a total of 4 points to remain winless in the Ivies with Penn and Princeton coming north next weekend. I like the heart the team is displaying, but man, all these close losses have got to be kind of dispiriting at some point, no?

hoops123 
Freshman

Reg: 12-14-16
02-04-18 01:44 PM - Post#246055    
    In response to flinder

Just sitting back watching some extremely bad basketball. This is much like the Ivy basketball of old. A generally bad league with an occasional bright spot. We're playing pretty bad teams and can't finish games. We live by the three and die by the three. Short of a few nice inside games by Knight (hearing he was sick) and one or two by Emery, we have no offensive formula, and we're not doing that well now as a three team. What I keep coming back to is poor coaching. Why is our team not ready to play? Why aren't we exploiting clear deficits that our opponents have. Example: other than Gettings, Cornell has no bigs on the floor or as backups on the bench. You attack Gettings at the basket, get him in foul trouble, then pound the ball on the block where our bigs should be able to dominate smaller defenders. We did it only occasionally. We should do it until they stop us. Nope. McLAUGHlin keeps running different sets. Why??? If i'm the other team, I clear out and go one on one with whoever Barry or Johnson or Wright is guarding. Any of our defenders actually. They're fouling machines and terrible defenders. You want to beat Dartmouth? Attack the basket relentlessly. Hey David McLAUGHlin: is our team working harder, smarter, and together? NO. That's on you! WE ARE NOT WINNING!! Are our leaders (you and our captains) helping us to win? No. That's on you! The ONLY thing that sometimes keeps me in a positive mindset is that we have been able to come back in some games where we've been down. Unfortunately, that's easy to do when your season is already over and you have nothing to lose. Our guys were laughing at each other near the end of the game which clearly tells me that McLAUGHlin has thrown in the towel and told the guys to have fun. And PS McLAUGHlin, you sound like a broken record in your interviews. We don't care what your guys have been doing in practice that makes you feel so special about losing. We're happy you think they "work" (as if other teams don't??) so stop being captain obvious and try WINNING. It's the best disinfectant to the product YOU are putting on the floor right now. Just win, and stop with the excuses....GBG...

Go Green 
PhD Student

02-05-18 08:31 AM - Post#246166    
    In response to hoops123

• hoops123 Said:
Just sitting back watching some extremely bad basketball. This is much like the Ivy basketball of old. A generally bad league with an occasional bright spot. We're playing pretty bad teams and can't finish games. We live by the three and die by the three. Short of a few nice inside games by Knight (hearing he was sick) and one or two by Emery, we have no offensive formula, and we're not doing that well now as a three team. What I keep coming back to is poor coaching. Why is our team not ready to play? Why aren't we exploiting clear deficits that our opponents have. Example: other than Gettings, Cornell has no bigs on the floor or as backups on the bench. You attack Gettings at the basket, get him in foul trouble, then pound the ball on the block where our bigs should be able to dominate smaller defenders. We did it only occasionally. We should do it until they stop us. Nope. McLAUGHlin keeps running different sets. Why??? If i'm the other team, I clear out and go one on one with whoever Barry or Johnson or Wright is guarding. Any of our defenders actually. They're fouling machines and terrible defenders. You want to beat Dartmouth? Attack the basket relentlessly. Hey David McLAUGHlin: is our team working harder, smarter, and together? NO. That's on you! WE ARE NOT WINNING!! Are our leaders (you and our captains) helping us to win? No. That's on you! The ONLY thing that sometimes keeps me in a positive mindset is that we have been able to come back in some games where we've been down. Unfortunately, that's easy to do when your season is already over and you have nothing to lose. Our guys were laughing at each other near the end of the game which clearly tells me that McLAUGHlin has thrown in the towel and told the guys to have fun. And PS McLAUGHlin, you sound like a broken record in your interviews. We don't care what your guys have been doing in practice that makes you feel so special about losing. We're happy you think they "work" (as if other teams don't??) so stop being captain obvious and try WINNING. It's the best disinfectant to the product YOU are putting on the floor right now. Just win, and stop with the excuses....GBG...

A couple weeks ago you said that the problem was that Wright was getting too much playing time.

hoops123 
Freshman

Reg: 12-14-16
02-05-18 01:01 PM - Post#246211    
    In response to Go Green

Did I? When? Uh...you brought up minutes. And you obviously missed the point of my reasonably clear posts on Wright. This is what I said: "Mclaughlin hasn't recruited Wrights replacement. That's on him. We don't have a true wing (including Wright). Which is pretty amazing when you think about it. Who exactly did Mclaughlin plan to play the 3 next year? Wright's defense is generally atrocious, and he's a spotty performer on offense. You would think that Mclaughlin would look to have at least 2 true wings behind Wright working into the lineup and preparing for future years. Nope. We don't even have one. So unless Sistare suddenly sprouts foot quickness, defensive abilities, and jumping ability, Wright it is. But my issue is he's a captain. Don't you have some expectation of on court performance from your "leaders"? I did when I played and I expect most athletes do. How he can play 39 mins and have that abysmal performance is beyond me. Going to be a long few years ahead of us....."

My comments on Wright have remained fairly consistent: Streaky, unreliable/inconsistent player for his entire 4 year career, poor defender, reasonably athletic, poor decision maker with the ball, poor leader, low basketball IQ. I think he has no choice but to play Wright as he is the closest thing we have to a wing, which again is a huge recruiting miss on McLAUGHlin's part. The team is so bad, we always have to play bad players. But we're in good company. The whole league is pretty bad this year (Penn pretty good, as is Princeton...cause they have great coaches and we do not). As a side note, most players in the Ivy League (with a few notable exceptions like Harvard and the odd players on other teams, oh, and Boudreaux, the kid McLAUGHlin and Sheehy let go)) did not have Division 1 scholarships at good schools because they were not good enough basketball players to get scholarship interest. Most, definitely not all, were ok basketball players that were smart enough to play in the Ivy League. There is NO ONE on our team right now that would even get minutes on a mid major D1 team. Maybe someone would take a chance on Knight or Emery on size, but they wouldn't be playing at this stage of their careers. So, since that's the case, we have to be super smart about who we bring in and what role that player will fill going forward. We have no true 3's or wings in the pipeline. And if what I'm hearing is true about possible defections and a poor recruiting class, combined with bad coaching, all of the people on and off this board will be doing a lot of hoping and hand wringing over the Dartmouth Men's basketball team in the coming years. To say I'm not optimistic is a huge understatement.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
02-05-18 05:28 PM - Post#246264    
    In response to flinder

What do you see as a solution?
"...no excuses - only results!”

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.011 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:51 AM