Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Davis and Roussell        (Topic#21278)
bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
03-05-18 11:28 AM - Post#250896    

I am not a CND critic! I love the guy, and his record as a head coach speaks for itself. I hope he is here for 20 years! Yet I cannot shake the feeling that as good as he is, he is not the best hoops head coach at Bucknell. That would be CAR.

Roussell lost 3 seniors (sound familiar)from last years fantastic womens’ team yet his team is arguably the best in conference right now, and on track to have a super year next year as well. If you are not following this team, you should. I do not know how long we can reasonably expect to keep Coach Roussell.

bison75 
Masters Student

Reg: 01-26-06
03-05-18 11:54 AM - Post#250901    
    In response to bison63

Agree completely. I was afraid Roussell would leave after last year. Hope he stays for a very long time.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-05-18 12:21 PM - Post#250905    
    In response to bison75

Yes, Roussell has done a great job. Hopefully Bucknell has been able to raise his pay to the level he deserves.

He will surely be in big demand, but there may be a chance he stays for awhile. First, I know he and his family really like the Lewisburg area, which obviously is a great place to raise kids. Also there isn't big money in women's basketball, so most schools do not offer large salaries to coaches. For example, the average salary for a P5 women's head coach is only 25% of what is paid to the average men's coach. Yes, an A-10 level program might offer more than Bucknell, but when you factor in the cost of living, it might not be a dramatic increase in buying power.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-05-18 01:55 PM - Post#250911    
    In response to Bison137

One other comment. There are a couple of reasons that this year might not be a perfect time for Roussell to consider a move. First, next year's team has the potential to be a great one, with only one senior on this year's active roster and with three All-PL player returning plus one All-Rookie. Also he will add two frosh who are big-time scorers, one of whom might be the highest level HS player he has landed. And secondly, the women are scheduled to take a European trip (Germany, Czech, and Austria) in August - what I believe is their first-ever overseas trip. That is something he has worked hard to arrange and might not want to miss.

A Western Bison 
Sophomore

Loc: Albuquerque
Reg: 07-05-12
03-05-18 03:55 PM - Post#250932    
    In response to Bison137

This thread reminds this Connecticut kid of the perpetual unneeded comparison between Geno and Jim Calhoun. These are different jobs at the same school.

I, for one, am very excited about Coach Rousell's future in Lewisburg. His incoming class of recruits seems to be prepared to further elevate the program. I would expect that he shares that enthusiasm.

Having a new AD in place to ride herd on this success in both programs would be most welcome.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
03-05-18 04:37 PM - Post#250951    
    In response to A Western Bison

What is the history of women’s coaches eventually becoming men’s coaches? I understand some differences between coaching women versus coaching men, but at the heart of it, basketball is basketball and people are people. Somebody adept at both basketball and people should be able coach anywhere. As was stated, certainly men’s coaches on average earn far more than women’s coaches, so I could see a women’s coach changing if given a good opportunity.

DoCtoR62 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-18-08
03-05-18 05:26 PM - Post#250965    
    In response to MrPhillie

• MrPhillie Said:
What is the history of women’s coaches eventually becoming men’s coaches? I understand some differences between coaching women versus coaching men, but at the heart of it, basketball is basketball and people are people. Somebody adept at both basketball and people should be able coach anywhere. As was stated, certainly men’s coaches on average earn far more than women’s coaches, so I could see a women’s coach changing if given a good opportunity.

Interesting timing #1: ESPNU had a 30-minute show last night regarding Bernadette Locke-Mattox, a member of Rick Pitino's staff at Kentucky for his first four years there. His primary assistants at the time were Billy Donovan and Tubby Smith, and Pitino, Donovan and Smith were all prominent on this show about the role Locke-Mattox played in revitalizing the program that had been decimated by an Eddie Sutton scandal. She moved from coaching to admin when she gave birth, but it was an interesting story I wasn't familiar with.

Interesting timing #2: Maine just released their head men's basketball coach today, and the rumors are they are replacing him with Richard Barron, their former women's coach who had moved into administration a few years ago due to health reasons.

Interesting timing #3: Marist just fired their men's coach today. The last HC at Marist who had any sustained success was Dave Maggarity, who now serves as the women's coach at Army West Point. So, he crossed over the other way.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-05-18 07:05 PM - Post#250988    
    In response to DoCtoR62

• DoCtoR62 Said:
  • MrPhillie Said:

Interesting timing #2: Maine just released their head men's basketball coach today, and the rumors are they are replacing him with Richard Barron, their former women's coach who had moved into administration a few years ago due to health reasons.

Interesting timing #3: Marist just fired their men's coach today. The last HC at Marist who had any sustained success was Dave Maggarity, who now serves as the women's coach at Army West Point. So, he crossed over the other way.

1. I think the hiring of Barron will turn out to be a disaster and is based solely on Maine saving money. They were paying Walsh $100,000 per year - perhaps the lowest D1 salary for a head coach - and likely thought that to be too much. The Maine job is perhaps the worst one in D1 basketball and it was no doubt easier and cheaper to simply move Barron out of a make-work job over to coach the men. Btw, he has spent all of his career - over 25 years - as a women's coach. I think coaching the men's game and the women's game are VERY different things.

2. Magarity crossed over to the women's game, but largely out of necessity, being unable to find a men's coaching job. At Marist, he had instant success because he inherited Rik Smits and two other good players. After they graduated, he had a 215-240 record against mediocre schedules. After Marist finally fired him, he was out of coaching for a number of years before Army brought him in to be a veteran presence to help the young Maggie Dixon. After her tragic death, he was promoted up to head coach. I don't think he's done a particularly good job there, with the one very big exception of landing Kelsey Minato. This year's Army team had to be one of the PL's biggest group of underachievers in years.

3. As I mentioned in the NCAA thread, I wouldn't be surprised to see both Dane Fischer and Mark Prosser, a Marist alum, to throw their hats into the ring for the Marist job.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.014 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:28 AM