Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Morgan Declares for Draft        (Topic#21450)
mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
04-02-18 12:57 PM - Post#254655    

Not a surprise after the season he had and having tested the waters last year. He did push a tweet saying he was not hiring an agent yet.
http://cornellsun.com/2018/04/02/junior-mat t-morga...

The tone of the announcement is a little different than last year. Last year was plainly "I'm testing the waters." This year he says: "Thank you Cornell University, Newman Nation and everyone in the Cornell basketball organization!! It’s been an amazing 3 years and the memories we shared will not be forgotten!! 🤞🏽🔴🙏🏽🔥🔟"

That sounds a bit more final. But we'll see.

Edited by mountainred on 04-02-18 12:59 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

FlaQuaker 
Junior

Loc: NYC
Reg: 12-04-07
Re: Morgan Declares for Draft
04-02-18 01:38 PM - Post#254659    
    In response to mountainred

I believe it is final as you can only "test" the draft process and return to school once.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
04-02-18 02:10 PM - Post#254661    
    In response to FlaQuaker

Can test and return twice.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
04-02-18 03:49 PM - Post#254666    
    In response to mrjames

While he can retain his eligibility if he chooses to take his name out of the NBA Draft, he could choose to use that last year as a Graduate Transfer.

Morgan is enrolled in Cornell's School of Hotel Administration. Looking at that school's handbook, there is an 8 semester residency requirement, along with 800 hours of work experience (during school year or in the summers). However, there is a note about being able to petition for early graduation.

If he takes his name out of the Draft and can graduate from the Hotel School this May, then he should be able to play next year as a Grad Transfer.

If he takes his name out of the Draft and cannot graduate early from the Hotel School, then he can stay off the team in '18-'19 and play as a Grad Transfer in '19-'20.

mountainred 
Masters Student

04-02-18 04:23 PM - Post#254667    
    In response to rbg

You are NOT making me feel better, rbg.

FlaQuaker 
Junior

Loc: NYC
Reg: 12-04-07
04-02-18 05:00 PM - Post#254669    
    In response to mrjames

Was this rule changed at some point?

rbg 
Postdoc

04-03-18 08:37 AM - Post#254695    
    In response to FlaQuaker

http://cornellsun.com/2018/04/02/junior-mat t-morga...

- Morgan said while he hopes to be drafted by an NBA team, he will return to Cornell for his senior season if he isn’t selected.

“I’m going into this process with the intention of getting selected to play for a NBA organization, but I don’t want to lose my last year of college if that opportunity isn’t there for me,” he said. -

Mountainred, I don't know if this comment give me hope as a Cornell or Ivy fan. Saying "I don't want to lose my last year of college ....." could mean not wanting to lose his last year of college eligibility. I think the author may be assuming Morgan's return to Cornell basketball for that final year if he does not stay in the NBA Draft.

I think I would feel a little better if the author asked him a more direct question and Morgan answered it in a more definitive way.

Here is a local NC paper's account of Morgan's more serious mindset heading into his second NBA Draft declaration:

http://www.independenttribune.com/sports/cox-mill-...

- This is the second year in a row that Morgan has declared for the draft. But unlike last year, when he withdrew his name from draft eligibility two weeks after declaring, the former Charger isn’t going into the process planning to return to the Ithaca, New York, campus.

“I think it’s a whole different situation for me personally,” Morgan said in a telephone interview with the Independent Tribune. “Last year, I think it was more of just getting my name out there, knowing I was going to come back but just letting people know that I’m serious about this and to take a look at me this season. But this year, I’m going into it with the intent to play at the next level if the opportunity presents itself.

“Yeah, this is a completely different feel and a completely different situation.”

Morgan has not hired an agent, meaning that he still has the ability to withdraw from the draft and go back to school. But he’s a lot more visible on NBA scouts’ radars this time around. -

- Per NCAA rules, NBA scouts couldn’t communicate directly with Morgan during the college season, but he said some of them called Cornell coach Brian Earl and even came to see him play. At this stage, Morgan said, he hasn’t heard what round he could possibly be drafted.

But unlike last year, when his announcement came several weeks after the season, Morgan made his intentions known early.

“I’m going to stay with the process as long as possible,” he said. “I’m going into this with the mindset that I want to play in the NBA, I want to get drafted. And if the opportunity presents itself, I’m going to take it. But until that point, I’m going to keep my options open.”

For now, there isn’t much that Morgan can do except work out on the court and in the weight room. He hopes to receive an invitation to the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago, which begins on May 16. -

mountainred 
Masters Student

04-03-18 09:25 AM - Post#254703    
    In response to rbg

• rbg Said:

Mountainred, I don't know if this comment give me hope as a Cornell or Ivy fan. Saying "I don't want to lose my last year of college ....." could mean not wanting to lose his last year of college eligibility. I think the author may be assuming Morgan's return to Cornell basketball for that final year if he does not stay in the NBA Draft.

I think I would feel a little better if the author asked him a more direct question and Morgan answered it in a more definitive way.

Unless he graduates early, that last year of college is at Cornell or two years down the line, right? If Matt were on pace to graduate in three years, my guess is that we would have heard about it by now.

Since he's declared twice, I doubt Matt wants to wait an extra year. I'm going to take that as a positive and hope for the best.

rbg 
Postdoc

05-29-18 08:52 AM - Post#257271    

According to a tweet from Jeff Goodman at ESPN, Morgan will withdraw from the NBA Draft.

No official word on his status for next year, but Morgan retweeted Goodman's information and commented "Last ride with my dawgs! Coming for what's ours!"

Hopefully, Morgan is on board for his senior year with the Big Red despite losing Gettings.

mountainred 
Masters Student

05-29-18 10:41 AM - Post#257274    
    In response to rbg

• rbg Said:
According to a tweet from Jeff Goodman at ESPN, Morgan will withdraw from the NBA Draft.

No official word on his status for next year, but Morgan retweeted Goodman's information and commented "Last ride with my dawgs! Coming for what's ours!"

Hopefully, Morgan is on board for his senior year with the Big Red despite losing Gettings.

Seems like the logical read. Matt makes next year's team interesting.

rbg 
Postdoc

05-29-18 04:53 PM - Post#257316    

Whew!!

http://cornellsun.com/2018/05/29/morgan-to- withdra...

- “It was in my best interest to come back and play one more year and finish out not only my athletic career but also my academic career,” Morgan said in a text message on Monday. “It was great going through the process again but I’m glad to officially be back and getting ready for another run with my team.”

- “Stone leaving is obviously tough,” Morgan said. “He was an All-Ivy player, but we have a next-man-up mentality. We have talented [junior college] transfers and incoming freshmen. We will have most of our guys that played major minutes back while adding [incoming senior] Troy Whiteside [back from injury] as well.”

Morgan dominated the Ivy League last season, dropping 22.4 points per game. He said the pieces are in place for the Red to improve on last season’s fourth-place Ivy finish.

“We have more than enough talent to not only be competitive but to win a lot of games if we play the right way,” Morgan added. “We are all excited about the upcoming season. It’s a new challenge for us and we are going to put the work in this offseason to come back better than last year.”

FLBB 
Freshman

Reg: 05-19-18
05-30-18 06:48 AM - Post#257337    
    In response to rbg

Great news, just wish Gettings would have decided to stay. "Playing the way we are supposed to" can keep you in games, but you still need player's who can score to win.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.016 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:41 PM