Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Starting Lineups        (Topic#21913)
GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
10-08-18 03:12 AM - Post#262097    

Its probably really early but that what makes it fun. Speculating on starting lineups for the Big Green is probably more challenging than the other ivies. Going on three years now and I’m not sure exactly how our starters are determined. But here’s my first take on it for 2018-19.

Barry
Sistare
Smith
Knight
Jackson

This is not my optimal lineup but my best guess given what I’ve read and the coaches tendencies. Barry should have been starting as a freshman out of the gate. He’s steady and solid from behind the arch. Smith was a starter before getting injured and was averaging 12pts, so hes a no brainer. Knight is lauded by the press and his production was solid when given minutes last year. The other two are my best guess. Sistare was solid off the bench last year and as a jr. plays to the coaches proclivities for upper classmen. Jackson had some solid games and reminds me of he who shalt not be named at Purdue.

With the exception of Smith and Knight I dont see much athleticism in this line up. I would anticipate were going to want to play with pace in name only but be a more dribble the ball up and get into our set team. I wouldnt anticipate much fast breaking. If were going with my best guess lineup I expect the ball to go through Knight or Jackson as the initiators of our offense. I can see us using much of the clock to run our set and find a shot.

Given what we saw in previous years we’re likely eschewing pull-ups and mid range shots for post scoring and spot up three pointers.

I don’t think there is anything controversial in what Ive said. Would hope we mix it up a bit, maybe a freshmen breaks through in practice and changes the paradigm a bit. I dunno. What does anyone else think?
"...no excuses - only results!”

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
10-08-18 04:51 PM - Post#262180    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

Sounds pretty good.

I definitely see Barry, Smith and Knight in the starting lineup. I would think Jackson will get the nod over Emery for the other starting front court spot. If Smith is not fully healed at the beginning of the year, then I could see Sistare taking his place.

At the wing, I could see Aaryn Rai getting another chance at the start of the season since he gives them some height at that spot.

Hopefully, Samuels and Slachert can quickly prove to be solid backups to Barry and Smith at the guard spots, with Wade making a run at the starting three spot.

As noted in the comments about the 3 Man Weave preview, Dartmouth, more than anything, needs to be a stronger team up front and be willing to challenge its opponents.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

10-08-18 11:29 PM - Post#262196    
    In response to rbg

I would really like to see us play a more skilled and athletic brand of basketball. I prefer this modern brand of basketball where it's positionless. It would benefit us greatly to have guys who can put it on the floor and get to the rim and hit the occasional three.

Unfortunately we're competing with the likes of Yale's miye oni and Harvard's Seth Townes. No one in my proposed lineup can defend these type guys.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Starting Lineups
10-16-18 12:28 PM - Post#262718    
    In response to rbg

Smith, Barry, Knight, Emery, and a rotational player. The rotational player is likely Jackson or Rai.

First look into the 2018-19 Big Green lineup. Taken from the Ivy League Media Day.

Without two of his top offensive weapons, McLaughlin ended up getting his young squad valuable experience on the court as nearly two-thirds of the minutes were gobbled up by freshmen and sophomores. Joining Smith in the backcourt will be junior combo guard Brendan Barry (6-2, 180), a deadly marksman who led the team with 53 3-pointers and a 44.2 percent accuracy from long range. He is also a solid distributor as he demonstrated by tying for second in the Ivy League with nearly four assists per game.

Dartmouth will lean on sophomore forward Chris Knight (6-7, 225) in the post after his strong rookie campaign. At the offensive end, he provides a soft touch and accurate shot that led him to score 10.1 ppg. But he also is an effective rim protector, leading the Green with 27 blocks (fifth in the league) while hauling in 4.1 rebounds a night. Junior forward Will Emery (6-9, 220) will also be a key player in the frontcourt after contributing 7.6 ppg and a team-best 4.7 rpg.

With those four likely to be in the starting lineup, the fifth starter could depend on matchups. Sophomore power forward Adrease Jackson (6-8, 225) came on strong in conference play last year, putting up 8.2 ppg against Ivy teams while shooting better than 50 percent from the floor both inside and outside the arc for the season. Another option could be sophomore wing Aaryn Rai (6-6, 205), who played well early in the season and shot 43.8 percent on 3-pointers for the year, or junior guards Ian Sistare (6-3, 205) and James Foye (6-4, 195), who combined to play in all but two games a year ago. Sophomore point guard Isaac Letoa (6-1, 180) has shown growth in his game, and junior forward Ian Carter (6-7, 220) is back in the fold after missing last season.

Edited by GoBigGreenBasketball on 10-16-18 12:33 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
10-17-18 02:03 PM - Post#262849    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

Against Princeton, Jackson was Dartmouth's best player but kept getting pulled off the floor. A tough guy always around the ball who shoots better than 50% from two and three isn't that easy to find.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

10-17-18 04:52 PM - Post#262903    
    In response to SRP

Well Jackson figures to be a key part of the rotation this year. Hopefully guys stick on the floor when they are producing.

In those instances where guys get pulled, I have to believe we're pulling a guy because he's operating outside of the set offense. Although when your struggling for offense letting a producing th player stay in the floor when they're hot can't hurt.

I think good teams find that balance between set offense and opportunistic scoring. But you have to have the personnel and coaching to do that.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.018 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:00 AM