Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Miye Oni enters NBA drart        (Topic#22982)
73Quaker 
Freshman

Loc: NC
Reg: 03-12-09
03-29-19 04:05 PM - Post#283087    

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketba ll/story/...

After a poor showing vs.LSU actually thought he might consider staying in school.
Notice the agent he plans sign to sign with.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
Re: Miye Oni enters NBA drart
03-29-19 11:15 PM - Post#283100    
    In response to 73Quaker

I thought he might have reconsidered, too.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
03-31-19 04:54 PM - Post#283114    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

Does it seem that he is likely to jump, or is this just testing the NBA waters?

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

03-31-19 08:30 PM - Post#283118    
    In response to Penndemonium

So far it looks as if he's engaging an agent, and that's the point of no return.

JDP 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-23-04
03-31-19 09:55 PM - Post#283122    

If you look at the Yale board on the topic ... hiring an agent is no longer a point of no return ... there are a few ways back ... even after the draft and you don't like your selection spot. Seems like it's OK to have an agent to help you with the process if you ask to be under the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee ... all news to me.

• rbg Said:
The YDN article has been updated.

- Although he emphasized his intent to remain in the draft, Oni maintains his collegiate eligibility by requesting an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee. Since 2016, college basketball players who declare for the draft have been able to remove themselves from the draft and maintain eligibility if they withdraw within ten days after the invite-only NBA combine in mid-May.

New NCAA policies updated in September 2018, meanwhile, allow basketball players who request an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee and attend the combine to return to school if they are not selected and notify their institution’s athletics director by 5 p.m. the Monday following the draft. -

- Head coach James Jones said Oni would be in New Haven attending classes through the end of the semester and working out with his trainer and the Yale coaching staff to prepare for workouts with NBA teams. Jones said Oni will also be practicing with the rest of the team “as if nothing happened.”

“[Oni] obviously is excited about his opportunities going forward, and I am excited and happy for him,” Jones said. “He’s going to get information from the NBA in terms of where they see him going in the 2019 NBA Draft. If he’s anywhere from one to 40 on the draft, I will drive him to New York myself. If he’s someone that they’re thinking is going to be from 45 to 60, most of those young men end up in the G-League, and it would probably be better for him to come back to Yale and graduate in his normal time.” -

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

04-01-19 12:13 AM - Post#283123    
    In response to JDP

Ah, I didn't realize that going through the evaluation process also allowed players to engage an agent and maintain collegiate eligibility as well.

mobrien 
Masters Student

Loc: New York
Reg: 04-18-17
04-01-19 12:42 AM - Post#283124    

It's confusing. They announced a big rule change this year, but not all of the changes have gone into effect yet.

You can retain your eligibility as long as you notify the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee, use an approved agent, and pull out of the draft by the end of May. There was a proposed rule to let kids who stayed i the draft but didn't get picked come back and play in college, but that apparently hasn't been approved yet.

Based on James Jones's comments, it sounds like Oni only plans to stay in the draft if he gets a top 40 promise, which makes sense. First round picks get guaranteed contracts, and high second picks can too because teams like to lock those guys up cheap, slightly longer deals than what they'd normally get in that slot.

Oni is only projected around 50th on most draft sites, and certainly didn't end the year well, but I could see him doing a lot better in the pre-draft workouts. At the very least, he'll probably test and measure very well athletically.

The biggest point is that, outside of the top two, this looks like it'll be a fairly weak draft. So there's a real chance Oni could shoot up draft boards just because the guys ahead of him have a lot of question marks. That said, I still think it's much more likely that he ends up getting some feedback from NBA exces about what he needs to work on the most, and comes back for his senior season.

Either way, we'll know by the end of May.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.355 seconds.   Total Queries: 10   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:05 AM