Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: HBCU Article        (Topic#24406)
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
06-04-20 03:15 PM - Post#308521    

Today a top rated recruit shook up the recruiting mill by suggesting he might consider going to a historically black college / university (HBCU) to carve a path that strengthens that community. There's something to that argument.

I think we all keep hoping for the same thing in the Ivy League. A five star recruit who decides to get the best education for his/her needs and to set an example for the community that education is key.

The problem for the Ivy League is that while there is no doubt the schools are great, there is a lot stacked up against us. A five star athlete has to be thinking about the NBA, and the league is not the clearest path towards successful NBA development. You will not be in the ecosystem of elite coaches, trainers, shoe companies, and other contacts. You will not have the same level of competition in practice, which is probably where the level of play matters most for development. You will probably not have elite facilities. The financial burden is heavier. There are plenty of amazing non-Ivy colleges. Finally, you would be joining the oldest bastions of incumbency and privilege in America.

I like that Mikey Williams is bold and thinking outside of the AAU / shoe company route in supporting HBCUs in this way. As much as I've always thought It would be valuable to set an example to the community about education by going Ivy, I'm realizing now it's a pipe dream. Jerome Allen was once our poster child for the benefits of Ivy League elite athletes, but now he will not be mentioned.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mikey-williams -consid...

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.016 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:33 AM