Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Marquette fires Wojo        (Topic#25168)
Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
Reg: 11-21-04
03-19-21 04:38 PM - Post#322315    

Former Duke assistant, Steve Wojciechowski, has been relieved of his duties as head coach after seven seasons.

Mike James, are you still recommending Wojo for Penn or for some other Ivy program?

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Marquette fires Wojo
03-19-21 06:36 PM - Post#322321    
    In response to Stuart Suss

Penn has a coach.

But Wojo is actually the type of coach that I'd highly recommend for an Ivy program. Strong recruiter with good success at the higher level that just really had one bad year and got axed. Would have had three tourneys in four years (if they played it in 2020) prior to this one and the year he missed they were not exactly far away 53rd in KP.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
03-21-21 12:35 AM - Post#322342    
    In response to mrjames

Some interesting comments from Rick Pitino about the benefits for a high-major coach working at a mid-major school following Iona's loss earlier today.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketba ll/story...

- Pitino coached Louisville from 2001 to 2017, winning a national title and reaching three Final Fours and six Elite Eights. He was fired in October 2017 amid a federal investigation into fraud and corruption in college basketball. Pitino seemed to reference his departure Saturday, saying, "I'm not turned off by the big programs, I'm turned off about what happened to me."

"It's no longer about me trying to move up any ladders, make more money," he added. "I'm at a great place in my life. I can coach six, seven more years, God willing, just try to make young men better, try to make the program reach heights it's never reached. That's all I have planned. It's a great place to be. There's some things that suck about being 68. The great thing about it is being at Iona, being able to teach with nobody bothering you, just make the players better." -

- "I want to take a smaller school, like a Providence, like an Iona, a small school and try to make it big," said Pitino, who made his first Final Four as Providence's coach in 1987. "But I wanted no part of any of that other, I had enough of that. It turned me off, to be quite honest with you, in a lot of different areas. I now don't have to look over my shoulder and see who I'm going to trust, who I'm not going to trust.

"I'm in heaven right now, and where I need to be." -

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.013 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:04 AM