Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: PL Quarterfinals - Navy
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-28-12 06:39 PM - Post#122946    

PL game notes for all of the quarterfinal games:

http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/m-baskbl/spec- ...

raybucknell12
Freshman
Posts 54
02-28-12 07:36 PM - Post#122949    

Really hope the energy from the fans (both students and non) is a lot higher for this game against Navy as opposed to the one on Saturday. Poor showing from both sections, and you could tell that Sojka just felt dead. The team seems to respond to the energy from the fans, so I hope we see I good turnout. I know our little student section will be out in full force. So excited for another PL run!
bisonmania
Masters Student
Posts 920
02-28-12 07:45 PM - Post#122950    

Alot of noise from the students would be a great help in getting everyone involved! RAY BUCKNELL! Lets hope the bison come out and make a statement in this game.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-28-12 07:59 PM - Post#122952    

Yes, a lot of noise would be great, although I do not expect a great turnout. Bad weather to begin with. Plus I hear that not all the student tickets were taken, and I also see that there are a huge number of tickets available to the general public - certainly over 1000.

One issue with ticket sales is that BU lets all season-ticket holders decide for each tournament game whether or not they want to purchase their seats. I suspect a fair number of people opted not to buy the tickets for a quarterfinal on a Wednesday night against a bad team. I think Saturday's game - IF BU wins tomorrow - will have a bigger and louder crowd. Tomorrow I expect the crowd to be less than 3000.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-28-12 08:00 PM - Post#122953    

BU Game Notes:

http://www.bucknellbison.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec- ...

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
02-28-12 08:26 PM - Post#122956    

I don't think he is a student, but maybe you can get the guy we fondly refer to as Waldo (as in, of course, "Where's Waldo"). If you do not know who this is, he is the young guy who relentlessly thrusts his arms forward and back (think of a guy marshaling airplanes with his hair on fire) while the pep band plays. I'm not dissing this guy, either. He sat near us earlier in the season but has been in Section Q of late. He has a TON of energy and is obviously a lover of Bucknell basketball. Anyway, have him join you in the student section and he will certainly give off a lot of energy. Perhaps during timeouts he could step forward and have a few planes land at mid-court.
BUFan
PhD Student
Posts 1936
BUFan
02-28-12 11:27 PM - Post#122978    

Unfortunately, being from NJ, I am in the group of people who will be coming to the semis and finals, but cannot make it tomorrow. I certainly do not take tomorrow as a guaranteed win, and I hope for a good crowd. Unfortunately, looking online, I agree we will be lucky to have 3100 or so. However, it is quality not quantity, so we will need the students in attendance to be loud to give the team a kick in the butt.

I feel confident the semis and finals will be sold out (and hopefully very loud) if we advance...
Shot Clock
Masters Student
Posts 883
02-29-12 11:57 AM - Post#123027    

Speaking of the students, when is Spring Break this year? Is it next week?
B.A. Bucknell University, 1993

MouserDZ
Masters Student
Posts 432
MouserDZ
02-29-12 01:00 PM - Post#123040    

• Shot Clock Said:

Break begins on Friday March 9th
http://bucknell.edu/x1220.xml

Shot Clock
Masters Student
Posts 883
02-29-12 01:03 PM - Post#123041    

• MouserDZ Said:
  • Shot Clock Said:

Break begins on Friday March 9th
http://bucknell.edu/x1220.xml

That's good.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-29-12 03:39 PM - Post#123075    

Definitely will be a smallish crowd tonight. Not many tickets have been sold since Monday - plus Navy just returned the majority of the tickets they were trying to sell.

Hopefully a good student turnout will offset some of the other factors.

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
02-29-12 04:37 PM - Post#123083    

Well we will be there. Maybe we will see Leo drop another 4-spot on the Mids.
Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
02-29-12 05:03 PM - Post#123091    

I am going also. I'm expecting a pretty good game despite the difference in records. I hope we come out on top.

joeyorr4
Freshman
Posts 62
02-29-12 06:46 PM - Post#123103    

For some reason I don't like this matchup, we've been struggling lately and I liked what I saw out of Navy last Saturday. Hopefully we can get this game and roll past Lafayette/Holy Cross.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
02-29-12 07:55 PM - Post#123108    

Five min before tip and tiny, tiny, tiny student sections. And as predicted, not a very large crowd in general.
BUFan
PhD Student
Posts 1936
BUFan
02-29-12 08:17 PM - Post#123112    

Last year we had 3190 for the quarters, 4000 for the semis and 4200 for the final. Looks like we may be a little below the 3190 from last year, and I would chalk a lot of that up to the fact that I think tickets went on sale a bit later.

I am confident that if we win, Sojka will be full for the next two.
BisonCritic
Freshman
Posts 77
02-29-12 08:32 PM - Post#123113    

"He dunked it! He dunked it! He dunked it in! Dunk, dunk, dunk!"

Ugh. Birdsong.
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
02-29-12 09:00 PM - Post#123114    

Slow offensive beginning, but Bryson got us started and Bucknell has been on fire since.

Also, Muscala got away with an obvious walking call on the fast break dunk. Glad it wasn't called, but it is hard to believe three officials missed a 6'11" guy taking an extra long stride in the relative open court.

Probese better get ready 'cause he might be in for a career high in minutes and points if Bucknell continues their hot shooting.
BUFan
PhD Student
Posts 1936
BUFan
02-29-12 10:27 PM - Post#123120    

Great game! After it seemed like we were stalled on 13 points for 5 minutes, Bryson gave the team a huge spark with the three bombs. The Muscala dunk further helped blow it open. It was nice to see the team get hot shooting, especially since they may need every bucket if Lafayette is as hot as they were tonight from beyond the arc.

Kudos to the students for showing up and making a smaller crowd loud!

On a side note, Vegas put a line on the game...It opened at Bucknell -21.5. I wouldn't have given 21.5 points, and it seemed like that was the general consensus because the line closed at 16.5. Those who showed faith in the Bison were rewarded
MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
02-29-12 11:32 PM - Post#123124    

A 23-8 team should beat a 3-26 team by 20-30 points, at least. The Bison got their shooting touch back and won by 24. All-in-all, mission accomplished. Bryson really got the team going with his three's in the latter stages of the first half and the rest of the team picked it up as well. Nice to have such an easy win when your best player and former league MVP scores 2 points on three shot attempts.

Have a question regarding the technical foul call at the end of the game. Anyone know what happened? Heard the whistle and the technical sign, then saw Colin walking slowly toward the bench holding his jaw, Paulsen say something to Colin, and Colin responding in what looked like a not-so-nice manner. Geez, turn your head 3 seconds.....
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
02-29-12 11:35 PM - Post#123125    

This game was the one we were all hoping for on senior day...happy everyone got some time in a league tournament game. The Bryson threes and Hill-to-Muscala dunk really blew it open.

candyfan
Masters Student
Posts 459
candyfan
02-29-12 11:53 PM - Post#123127    

On Colin and the technical - what I saw - Colin got hit in the jaw under the basket, then retaliated by taking a long sideways swing at the Navy player. Naturally the Refs saw only the sideways swing!

Tonight, Muscala was double and triple teamed, so the rest of the team stepped up and hit shot after open shot. This is a healthy sign, on a night when the guy who has dragged this team through some ugly wins this year couldn't get open, everybody but Starkey got into the act for a twenty four point win.

Video here of Coach Paulsen, satisfied with win in post game press conference - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtnWUYrqziY
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-01-12 12:09 AM - Post#123128    

• candyfan Said:
On Colin and the technical - what I saw - Colin got hit in the jaw under the basket, then retaliated by taking a long sideways swing at the Navy player. Naturally the Refs saw only the sideways swing!

Surprisingly the game is already archived on Bison Vision. Colin actually didn't take a "swing" at anyone - just pushed Smoot away after taking what appeared to be an inadvertent elbow to the face going for the rebound. Colin can be seen checking his face for blood immediately after the contact, so he obviously took a good shot.

Smoot is a very unpolished player, so the elbow was probably just due to the way he plays as opposed to being malicious. What Klebon did was basically nothing - likely wouldn't have even resulted in a technical - just a warning - if it was in the middle of a close game. The refs obviously just wanted the game to end with no trouble, so they tossed him.

MouserDZ
Masters Student
Posts 432
MouserDZ
03-01-12 12:13 AM - Post#123129    

FYI - Tickets for the semis are already on sale online.
atlantabison
PhD Student
Posts 1835
03-01-12 09:55 AM - Post#123137    

I saw it on the All Access. Klebon got hit in the face in a scrum and took it a little to pertonally and shoved the other player and got T'ed. While they always penalize the second guy, from my look it appeared that Colin overreacted a bit to something that did not appear intentional.
Ray Bucknell!

MrPhillie
Postdoc
Posts 2757
MrPhillie
03-01-12 10:08 AM - Post#123139    

Thanks for the info regarding the "T". I think Colin is a pretty mild-mannered kid so it was surprising the technical was called. When Colin arrived at the bench it appeared he did not agree with what DP was saying to him. Too bad it happened because it was the most productive few minutes of playing time Colin has had this season.

So is it up to the official as to whether a player is disqualified or is does any technical on a player automatically result in disqualification?

I am so glad to hear that Saturday's game is at 4:30. Bucknell did not have too much trouble with Lafayette in either game this season, but they are definitely a dangerous team with the way they can shoot the ball. Fortunately, they do not play great defense, so as long as the Bison continue the good offense from last night, they should be in good shape.
Shot Clock
Masters Student
Posts 883
03-01-12 10:24 AM - Post#123142    

Good first game. Interesting to see Holy Cross go down to the Leopards.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-01-12 11:01 AM - Post#123146    

• MrPhillie Said:

So is it up to the official as to whether a player is disqualified or is does any technical on a player automatically result in disqualification?

Most types of technical fouls do not require (or even allow) ejection for a first violation - but the second one is an automatic ejection. A few technicals do carry a penalty of automatic ejection but Colin wasn't even close to committing any of the required acts. The refs apparently decided that he was guilty of "flagrantly (severe or extreme) contacting an opponent while the ball is dead" - which does carry a penalty of ejection.

As I mentioned in my post from last night, the replay makes it very clear he did no such thing. Most of the time what he did would not even get him an ordinary technical foul - let alone one calling for ejection.

Paulie777
PhD Student
Posts 1767
03-01-12 04:55 PM - Post#123228    

Colin is built like a rock, and got hit with a flying elbow, not quite intentional but nearly always seen near the end of a rout. His reaction was a knee jerk reaction, he was his hard enough he forgot about the game and did what any kid would do. It was clear he got hit but the ref only saw Colin push back.
The team looked like they got a little of their zip back and are playing much better. Willman is playing great, and the rest of the team too.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.235 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:58 PM