Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Possible 2012-13 breakthroughs?
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2814
08-06-12 07:26 PM - Post#131472    

Neither Barrett nor Connelly have yet lived up to expectations. Significant improvement by either in the offseason would be a big boost to our title prospects this season. It is encouraging to learn that Connelly is playing with Pawel Buczak this summer. Buczak was a huge overachiever at Princeton and will hopefully help Brendan with some of his possession problems.

Does anyone know what Barrett is doing this summer and what the state of his season-ending injury is?
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3666
08-07-12 09:43 PM - Post#131489    

Not sure what he's doing this summer (though last summer he played in the Delco Pro-Am). I rather have him do one-on-one skill work with Earl, who did wonders for Bray's game.

Barrett had stress fractures in his foot (a la Kyle Casey), which should be plenty healed by now...but are frequently recurring injuries. He didn't rush back last year, though, which improves his long-term prognosis.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3666
08-07-12 09:50 PM - Post#131490    

As for next season's breakout player, I'm definitely picking Clay Wilson (a separated shoulder hurt his progress as a freshman). MH said as much in one of the year-end interviews, and in the local news clip Solomon posted a while back, Wilson said he was "competing with one other kid" for a starting role.

I assumed the other kid was Sherburne, who showed an ability to slash to the rim. But who knows? Maybe Jimmy will back up TJ and Hazel or Clement is the "other kid" competing for the off-guard role.

As for Connolly, I want to see him make quicker moves in the low post. He was too slow and hesitant last season, allowing defenders to help and collapse on him. Catch, fake and shoot as quickly as possible. That said, the Darrow/Connolly platoon is fine as is.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2272
1LotteryPick1969
08-08-12 11:58 AM - Post#131492    

Since Hazel withdrew from school last spring for personal reasons, I'm not sure if he will be enrolled in the fall. He may choose to re-enter for the second semester. I haven't heard anything more about this since it occurred.
Albert08
Masters Student
Posts 572
08-08-12 12:07 PM - Post#131493    

The coaches will certainly look to Clay Wilson to take some of the perimeter shots that Davis took last year. You can't expect Wilson (or anyone else on the roster) to replace Davis, only to mitigate the loss. If he can contribute 8-10 ppg, it will be a big boost to the offense.

If Chris Clement has anything to show us, he'd better do it this year. Without Davis consuming 33 minutes a game in the backcourt, he has his chance. But I've never been very impressed with his skills, so I frankly don't expect a "breakthrough" from him.

I will be interested to see if Bobby Garbade can contribute at the center of the offense, either as a backup to Connolly or on the court with him at the same time. He was very productive in high school in a fairly competitive league.

If Wilson and Garbade can step up, the sophomore class, rather than the juniors, will be the ones we look to in the post-Hummer era.
Albert08
Masters Student
Posts 572
08-08-12 12:08 PM - Post#131494    

In Jon Solomon's interview with Henderson a couple of weeks ago, I think he expects Hazel to return for the second semester.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2272
1LotteryPick1969
08-08-12 12:54 PM - Post#131495    

Thanks. I haven't had the time to listen. I wish there were written transcripts...
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3666
08-08-12 09:57 PM - Post#131506    

Barring injury, I don't see any minutes for Garbade. Not with Darrow/Connolly set in stone at center. Garbade's time to prove himself will come next year.

As always, I love Clement's handle but he hasn't flashed anything more. That said, Bray's lone question mark is his handle and ability to break the full-court press, so I wouldn't mind having Clement on the court with him. It could work as Bray's size allows him to guard opposing SGs while Clement (or Wilson or Sherburne) guards the opposing PG.

My money's still on Wilson to earn the starting off-guard role by Ivy play. But maybe Clement can crack the rotation this year with DD's departure.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4910
08-16-12 05:53 AM - Post#131624    

Barrett was just hitting his stride when he got hurt. The Tigers could definitely use some more of the Kirilenko impersonation he put on against Lafayette.

If Sherburne is healthy, I don't see how he doesn't start with Bray. Clement has not wowed me to date, but there's no law that says he can't have improved this summer. The most important upside potential in the backcourt is Bray, though. If he's worked on dribbling and passing against pressure and on his mid-range game, he could be really productive. Somebody back there is going to have to take those late-in-the-shot-clock jumpers that DD used to hit to bail out the offense when a possession broke down.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3666
08-27-12 08:36 PM - Post#131839    

In the brief interview posted on the official site, MH made it seem like Wilson and Clement were the ones duking it out for starting SG.

"We're gonna have to put the ball in the basket. And in Chris and Clay you have two guys who can make a shot and have proven they can make a shot in practice."

I guess Sherburne is backing up Bray then? He showed some nice slashing ability, but with DD gone, the team needs outside shooting more than anything. So I guess this would make more sense.
Albert08
Masters Student
Posts 572
08-28-12 11:23 AM - Post#131845    

In his pre-Spain trip interview, Henderson mentioned Bobby Garbade along with Barrett, Koon and Darrow as the forwards who will be part of the "inside out" game this year. So I am not buying your "no minutes for Garbade" argument.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2814
08-28-12 05:00 PM - Post#131847    

Most recent post on Jon Solomon's Princeton Basketball site shows a somewhat beefier, longer haired Will Barrett with some encouraging comments about his improvement. That optimism was offset somewhat by the news of injuries to T J Bray (will not play in Spain) and Jimmy Sherbourne. We have a lot of possibilities for this season. But injuries could slow our ability to find the most effective unit.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3666
08-30-12 02:35 AM - Post#131905    

• Albert08 Said:
In his pre-Spain trip interview, Henderson mentioned Bobby Garbade along with Barrett, Koon and Darrow as the forwards who will be part of the "inside out" game this year. So I am not buying your "no minutes for Garbade" argument.

MH did mention Garbade in passing, but he also mentioned Clement in passing last season. And Clement didn't break the rotation. That wasn't surprising as there simply wasn't room in the guard rotation...until this season.

Garbade has four bigs unquestionably ahead of him (Hummer, Darrow, Connolly, Koon). And then you have Barrett. I'm sure MH likes Garbade's game, but I wouldn't put much stock in a passing mention.

That said, even getting regular garbage time, heavy TCNJ minutes and one or two "real" stints (due to foul trouble) would be a big step forward for Garbade.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3666
08-30-12 03:00 AM - Post#131906    

• Tiger69 Said:
Most recent post on Jon Solomon's Princeton Basketball site shows a somewhat beefier, longer haired Will Barrett with some encouraging comments about his improvement. That optimism was offset somewhat by the news of injuries to T J Bray (will not play in Spain) and Jimmy Sherbourne. We have a lot of possibilities for this season. But injuries could slow our ability to find the most effective unit.

As long as the injuries aren't serious, this could be a small blessing in disguise. Without Bray and Sherburne, Wilson and Clement will be forced to play heavy minutes against professional competition. Even if they get creamed, it'll be a good learning experience.

About time Barrett put on some weight. I'll be looking out for this season's official height/weight measurements to see how much.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3666
09-01-12 10:54 PM - Post#131965    

For what it's worth, Clement had a very Bray-like game running the point in TJ's place against the Spanish pro team they played yesterday:

http://twitter.com/PUTIGERS/status/24164 0525277560...

Clement's line: 5p(2-4)/5a/6r/4s/3to in 33 minutes. 2 fouls committed, 4 fouls drawn.

(Also, did Koon start at SG? Judging by his lack of rebounds and high TOs I would guess so. Might as well experiment now...)
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3666
09-03-12 04:12 AM - Post#131989    

An even better stat line for Clement today (albeit against weaker competition):

http://twitter.com/PUTIGERS/status/24224 9832599810...

Both MH and Earl have praised Clement's play. BE specifically mentioned his ability to handle the press. Is Clement the favorite to start alongside Bray? It would seem so.
Albert08
Masters Student
Posts 572
09-26-12 04:16 PM - Post#132850    

The 2012-2013 roster has been publicly announced and Jimmy Sherburne is pulling a "Will Barrett" and taking the year off to recover from the shoulder injury.

http://www.goprincetontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?...

The guard spot will be a little light, with only Bray with significant experience. And he seems to be having some lingering problems with his knee. These two developments may require Mike Washington, Jr. to get up to speed quickly.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3666
09-26-12 05:34 PM - Post#132852    

Sherburne's red-shirt year, like Barrett's, feels like a blessing in disguise. Another veteran who will help fill the Hummer void next season (not to mention get more minutes for himself). Also, with Sherburne out, I guess Clement is officially a starter. I like it.

Not sure how concerned to be about Bray's knee. After Hummer, he's the team's Most Important Player. Then again, he had knee issues last year too and we didn't even notice. He didn't play in Spain but seemed to be walking around perfectly fine. It felt more precautionary and an opportunity for Clement and Wilson to play more.

Speaking of which, Wilson didn't have a good Spain trip, but I think he's still the 3rd guard for now. I say "I think" because Koon is listed as a guard (!). Don't know about that one...
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2814
09-26-12 06:42 PM - Post#132853    

Mike Washington is a coach's son and scored a lot in HS. Don't know anything about his passing and defense. What is the prospect that he could get meaningful time in his freshman year?
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2814
09-26-12 06:48 PM - Post#132854    

With Sherburne's departure for this season there is also the prospect that we go from too few guards this year to too many next year with at least two apparently strong guard recruits in 2013.
Albert08
Masters Student
Posts 572
09-26-12 06:54 PM - Post#132855    

On the roster page, Koon is listed as "F" which I assume means "Forward." As for Washington, I am a little surprised that he is listed at only 169 lbs. I had thought he was carrying more weight than that. At 6'3", he should definitely spend some time in the weight room.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3666
09-26-12 09:16 PM - Post#132858    

They must have changed it then. It was "G" when I first checked. Also, Koon played some guard in Spain so it didn't completely surprise me. The boxscore wasn't pretty, though, which is why I said, "Don't know about that one..."
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3666
09-26-12 09:25 PM - Post#132859    

• Tiger69 Said:
Mike Washington is a coach's son and scored a lot in HS. Don't know anything about his passing and defense. What is the prospect that he could get meaningful time in his freshman year?

Brase was named the top recruit, but he has the most vets head of him. Lawrence is a legit 7-footer, but those guys are always raw. Mike Washington might be slightly less heralded than those two, but he has the minutes available if Bray is hurt or Wilson isn't up to the task.

My preference is to start thinking Post-Hummer already and allot the "annual" freshman minutes to big centers like Garbade and esp. Lawrence (7'-1" w/o shoes!). Even a decently skilled 7-footer would be a great equalizer against Harvard et al. next season.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2814
09-26-12 11:25 PM - Post#132861    

So far I've heard little about Lawrence except that he is English, has not played basketball for very long, and is 7'1". So, until I hear more about his skills I am assuming that he will be a very tall bench warmer/development project. I hope that I am wrong. But I see many teams each year that have surprisingly tall players sitting on the bench.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2814
09-26-12 11:33 PM - Post#132862    

As for Koon, I am assuming that his play at guard in Spain was simply to give him more minutes of experience since we were lacking in guards. Last year someone described him as an "Ian Hummer" type player for his wide range of skills. Although no one can completely fill Ian's shoes, perhaps Koon is being groomed as Ian's replacement for next year.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3666
09-27-12 10:25 PM - Post#132898    

When Koon committed, I called him a "poor man's Hummer" based on what little I'd read.

But having seen him play, he plays more like a rich man's Saunders. Lanky and not a post-up threat, but a great cutter and finisher. Denton is more athletic than Pat -- which allows him to blow by guys and finish with easy dunks. Not to mention snatch rebounds in traffic.

He should try to be more of a slasher this season and next. That's where he has potential.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.306 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:20 AM