Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Wielgus Lounge Opening
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
01-26-17 01:28 PM - Post#219520    

Dartmouth dedicating the basketball lounge to former women's hoops coach Chris Wielgus this weekend.

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SP...

Fundraising for the lounge has been going on for a while.

http://dartmouth.imodules.com/s/1353/directory/ind...

One notable omission from the list of donors: Courtney Banghart.

hoopla
Masters Student
Posts 486
01-28-17 05:33 PM - Post#219728    

Weilgus is a great coach

dperry
Postdoc
Posts 2211
dperry
02-09-17 01:09 AM - Post#221089    

• Go Green Said:

Just saw this and wanted to respond. I must be feeling feverish, because I'm going out of my way to defend Courtney, but. . . I can certainly understand why a coach would be reluctant to make a donation which directly benefits the program of a competing member of the same league, even if that member is also her alma mater. I can also understand why the Princeton athletic administration might look askance at such a donation. It would be one thing if Banghart had gone to Gonzaga or some other school that Princeton rarely plays, but Dartmouth is a little too close to home, I think.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
02-09-17 07:45 AM - Post#221092    

• dperry Said:
  • Go Green Said:

Just saw this and wanted to respond. I must be feeling feverish, because I'm going out of my way to defend Courtney, but. . . I can certainly understand why a coach would be reluctant to make a donation which directly benefits the program of a competing member of the same league, even if that member is also her alma mater. I can also understand why the Princeton athletic administration might look askance at such a donation. It would be one thing if Banghart had gone to Gonzaga or some other school that Princeton rarely plays, but Dartmouth is a little too close to home, I think.

Theoretically possible. But IMHO, highly unlikely. Banghart has proved her mettle at Princeton, to say the least. My understanding is that she was offered more money to leave for bigger programs, but (unlike several Princeton men's coaches) opted to stay at Princeton.

She's earned the right to tell the Princeton administration, "Hey I want to do something nice for my old coach and mentor." And Princeton would look like a-holes if they held firm and forbade Banghart from doing so.

And if you look at her twitter feed, she's not shy about throwing hosannas to others. Yet not a peep regarding Wielgus over the weekend of the lounge dedication.

My own guess is that Wielgus and Banghart had a falling out. Who bears responsibility is anyone's guess. Maybe Wielgus said some regrettable things when Banghart left for Princeton. Maybe Banghart used confidential information against Wielgus on the recruiting trail.

Whatever the issue, I do hope that they bury the hatchet at some point. They are both very, very important people in Ivy basketball history.
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
02-09-17 09:05 AM - Post#221094    

Should also mention that if Villanova and UConn could agree to this:

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/26/sports/col lege-b...

There's no reason why Princeton should get in anyone's way to honor Wielgus.
dperry
Postdoc
Posts 2211
dperry
02-09-17 06:01 PM - Post#221150    

• Go Green Said:

Should also mention that if Villanova and UConn could agree to this:

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/26/sports/col lege-b...

There's no reason why Princeton should get in anyone's way to honor Wielgus.

Well, far be it from me to overestimate Banghart's kindness , and the Twitter thing is interesting, but I don't know if it's dispositive. The UConn thing is a different situation, in that it was for a player, not a program, one of the Nova players got helped by it too, and it was a late-season game that probably didn't mean much to either team. Further, that was before Connecticut was the colossus they are now; I'm not sure people would do them a favor like this anymore. I suspect it's pretty unusual to have a coach who played for one team in a conference and is now overseeing another one, (though it certainly has happened), so again, I can see why one would want to avoid the appearance of conflict of interest. OK, that's my charitable thinking for the day, I'm done now.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry
Postdoc
Posts 2211
dperry
03-04-17 08:48 PM - Post#224815    

Well, whatever Banghart's motivations, apparently the Dartmouth program took it personally.
David Perry
Penn '92

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.199 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:12 AM