Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Choke
Bruno
PhD Student
Posts 1414
01-27-17 11:23 PM - Post#219690    

2nd week in a row. Should have been 3-1. Instead 1-3 with two second half collapses. They just played their way out of the postseason.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Bearswin
Freshman
Posts 61
01-27-17 11:56 PM - Post#219699    

Horrible.
Our small guards went 15 for 58 in the two games against Yale.
Couldn't guard anyone either.
Too bad. Wasting an All Ivy season from Speith.

SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6391
01-28-17 12:18 AM - Post#219702    

Nowhere close to over for Brown. Their 3 losses are against what appear to be the two best teams in the league. Lots still to be decided on the court among the remaining teams to determine who goes to the Palestra.
JBears
Senior
Posts 334
01-28-17 06:45 PM - Post#219736    

Agreed SomeGuy. Games are 40 minutes long. The fact that we had leads did not guarantee wins against one of the top three teams in the league. The way the game is played now with wide open, up tempo offenses and a multitude of three point shots, it's not unusual to see big point swings. It's fortunate we played as well as we did to get the lead in the first place. There were definitely some positives to take from the effort.

We played played pretty good D in both games to get the lead and hold our own in most of the first game. It was a bad start to the second half and a heroic four 3's in the last few minutes by a top 100-type player to beat us. Last night we played well in 3/4's of the game until the home favorite, who is the bigger, stronger, and more experienced team, determined they weren't going to lose the game and drop two games in the lose column to H & Pr.

All league games are tough for the Bears in an improved league. At least we can look at the balance of the schedule and feel we have a shot to win every game. That hasn't been the case the last few years.
Bruno
PhD Student
Posts 1414
01-29-17 08:50 PM - Post#219850    

Choke, guys. Double digit 2nd half leads. For teams that play three experienced seniors, major choke. Tavon missing everything he put up. Hobbie missing threes. Spieth missing FTs. Those three are not *the* reason Brown lost these games, but with those three playing down the stretch, I'd expect Brown to hold onto double digit 2nd half leads. Credit Yale, but it was a choke.

Old Bear
Postdoc
Posts 3988
01-29-17 09:09 PM - Post#219854    

I think that is a little strong, Bruno. Yale was taller, bigger and generally more athletic. I wouldn't be surprised if win another title. That said, it was disappointing.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6391
01-29-17 10:32 PM - Post#219863    

From my (admittedly non-Brown perspective), I don't think whether or not it was a choke really makes a difference. Just about every team loses a game where they had a lead every year. I do think the term gets over used (simple math says that a team with a big lead is going to lose that lead a certain percentage of the time). But regardless, whether they choked or not doesn't matter a whole lot for whether they can finish in the top four. Brown just goes 7-7, and their odds of making the tournament will be pretty good. Lots of time to do that, and they have the 2 hardest games out of the way (at Yale and Princeton), and going to Penn and Yale at home would be among the next handful of toughest games.

mountainred
Masters Student
Posts 510
01-30-17 12:06 PM - Post#219895    

• SomeGuy Said:
But regardless, whether they choked or not doesn't matter a whole lot for whether they can finish in the top four. Brown just goes 7-7, and their odds of making the tournament will be pretty good. Lots of time to do that, and they have the 2 hardest games out of the way (at Yale and Princeton), and going to Penn and Yale at home would be among the next handful of toughest games.

Way too soon to write-off Brown. Sweep this weekend and Brown will have road wins against the three most likely competitors for the last tourney bid. (No offense Dartmouth.)

Bruno
PhD Student
Posts 1414
01-30-17 05:13 PM - Post#219922    

Well, I still say choke. My reax is that it was twice to the same team, and they were two double-digit leads in the 2nd half. C'mon. You have to have one of those games.

You're of course right that the season isn't over and they're not out of it. Of course they can still make it. One thing MM seems very good about is getting the team to move on and forget it. But there is a huge difference between 3-1 and 1-3, and Brown was staring at the former. It goes from probably making it to the postseason to a lot less likely. And you can't afford many of those.

GoBigGreenBasketball
Masters Student
Posts 805
01-31-17 01:44 AM - Post#220000    

• Old Bear Said:
I think that is a little strong, Bruno. Yale was taller, bigger and generally more athletic. I wouldn't be surprised if win another title. That said, it was disappointing.

ATHLETIC!!! YES!!!
"...no excuses - only results!”

Bruno
PhD Student
Posts 1414
01-31-17 11:10 AM - Post#220008    

https://twitter.com/YaleSportsGroup/statu s/8257913...

Bears03
Freshman
Posts 59
01-31-17 07:00 PM - Post#220019    

Two tough losses, but lets look ahead to this weekend.

I would be really surprised if we don't open with a W on Friday up north. Saturday will be a challenge against a hot Columbia team in their basement but from what I've seen so far this year they're no better than Yale and we all know that could have been different results.

I went to the Harvard Columbia game and these were my main takeaways in no particular order:
- Columbia played zone D the entire game, switching between a 2/3 and an extended 1/3/1, even when Corey Johnson was lighting them up from beyond the arc. Hopefully Hobbie can take advantage, and with some god ball movement get Spieth some easy jumpers in the paint
- They play deep into their bench with 10 guys getting meaningful minutes so they're active on D. Petrasek had 2-3 steals just from extending his PF spot on the zone and tipping passes from top of the key to the wing. Tavon should be able to dribble penetrate and set up some open looks.
- This Columbia team has some really good young talent. Adlesh (#10) can shoot, and Meisner (#11) is a strong PF and versitile 3/4 player.
- They run a bunch of Princeton backdoor cuts, and Harvard got beat at least 3 or 4 times for layups.
- I wasn't overly impressed with their rotation of big guys. Coby wasn't much of a factor in set offense but he hits the boards, draws fouls, and is a good FT shooter. Petrasek is more of a lanky 4, and Voss isn't getting much time. If we box out well we should limit their inside damage and allow us to key on the perimeter guys.

Columbia was fortunate to come out with this win. They jumped out to a huge 20pt lead in the first half and then let it bleed away down to 2 with a couple minutes left in the game as Harvard picked apart their zone.

On the other side of the ball, Harvard played man D the entire time, Johnson is a heck of a shooter, and Towns is very strong down low especially for a freshman. Paired with seniors Zena and Chambers they will contend but obviously aren't invincible.

Bearswin
Freshman
Posts 61
01-31-17 07:03 PM - Post#220020    

Losers of 5 of 6. Not just the two to Yale that have me concerned.
Guards can't shoot and we are getting to the free throw line less and less each game as defense is starting to sag off the dribble drive. I just don't see anything in Daugherty's game to warrant playing time. He hustles, but for every good play he makes, there are two mistakes. I am tired of big guards from other teams scoring at will. The lack of development by Haber or Tripplet or any player in the junior class has caused a big hole for this year's team.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.454 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:09 PM