Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Brown Game #1
GoBigGreenBasketball
Masters Student
Posts 805
02-11-17 11:16 AM - Post#221337    

Dartmouth Basketball
Predictions Update
Feb 11, 2017
• After losing to Yale 73-64 yesterday, Dartmouth is now projected to finish the regular season 6-21 (3-11 Ivy).
• We currently rank Dartmouth as the #286 team in the country, and the #8 team in the Ivy.
• Next game: Sat, Feb 11 at #252 Brown. Our power ratings give the Big Green a 28% chance to win.
"...no excuses - only results!”

hoopla
Masters Student
Posts 486
02-11-17 02:09 PM - Post#221364    

Big game for us. We are still very much alive. A win tonight and we will likely find ourselves just one game back from the #4 spot. Even if we get down big tonight, Brown Seems to play poorly with leads, so this is one to watch til the buzzer sounds.
hoopla
Masters Student
Posts 486
02-11-17 02:10 PM - Post#221366    

If Brown goes up 18-4 or something to start the game, that's not necessarily a bad thing as crazy as that sounds.
hoopla
Masters Student
Posts 486
02-11-17 02:11 PM - Post#221367    

Correction: a win tonight and we'll be just 2 games out.
EasyGreen1
Freshman
Posts 22
02-11-17 02:43 PM - Post#221373    

Let's go Big Green! All hands on deck!
Old Bear
Postdoc
Posts 3988
02-11-17 03:04 PM - Post#221379    

Yah, but it's our deck!
BigGreenBball
Pre-Frosh
Posts 1
02-11-17 05:20 PM - Post#221397    

In preparation for this game i have two concerns - one has been discussed ad nauseam and that is the Berry > Fleming battle for the starting spot. And i agree with almost everyone that Berry is head and shoulders the best PG on the team. My second concern, and i leave this up for debate, is why FOR ANY REASON does Taylor Johnson play more than Ian Sistare?! Simply based off of statistical evidence - Sistare is the superior choice; and id argue he brings more intangibles AND MORE LEADERSHIP AS A FRESHMEN than Johnson or any other upperclassmen.
hoopla
Masters Student
Posts 486
02-11-17 07:47 PM - Post#221419    

I think Barry is the future and I like Cam, but Fleming has the senior leadership that GBGB cited, and he hits the open J. The coach obviously feels that he needs Fleming's "old man strength" as they go to war in Ivy play.
hoopla
Masters Student
Posts 486
02-12-17 10:44 AM - Post#221480    

Great win!

Congrats to the guys.

And a good thing Coach Mac didn't listen to our "backseat coaching" on how to divvy up playing time! Fleming kept us in it and won it for us at the end.
GoBigGreenBasketball
Masters Student
Posts 805
02-12-17 11:14 AM - Post#221485    

I am the biggest Brendan "Buckets" Barry fan; however, I recognize the value of what Fleming is providing. He's playing like a senior who's got nothing to lose and trying to leave his mark on the program. There is a maturity to his game that Barry doesn't yet have...but will soon. I think we'll be in good hands with Barry and Sistare. Hopefully Cam gets into the mix soon.

I think the two freshman guards have had enough PT to acclimate them to the college game. Sistare is finally hitting shots from 3 thank goodness, because he's taken and missed enough. I don't think we've done a good job on Carter's PT. He still looks lost on D at times, but I really liked what he showed against Yale. Very very promising. Would like to see more Emery. We haven't developed the backups for Evan, Ike, and Dickinson to the degree of the PGs. Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite us.

I thought the Penn & Brown wins were good for the psyche. Now we just need to split with Cornell and one or more of the remaining schools.

Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
02-12-17 11:19 AM - Post#221487    

• hoopla Said:
Correction: a win tonight and we'll be just 2 games out.

Barring a total collapse from Columbia, I think we have to go 4-2 the rest the way to even have a chance at the tournament.
GoBigGreenBasketball
Masters Student
Posts 805
02-12-17 11:29 AM - Post#221493    

Projections

Kenpom.com has us going 2-4 the rest of the way with split with Cornell and a sweep of Brown and losses to everyone else.

Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
02-12-17 12:04 PM - Post#221504    

• GoBigGreenBasketball Said:

Kenpom.com has us going 2-4 the rest of the way with split with Cornell and a sweep of Brown and losses to everyone else.

If that happens, then we watch the tournament from Hanover.
hoopla
Masters Student
Posts 486
02-12-17 02:24 PM - Post#221518    

I think we should go 4-2.

Columbia at home, Brown at Home, Penn on Road, Cornell at home.

Yale at home is possible.

Princeton on road is possible if they have one of their down games again and we play better.
hoopla
Masters Student
Posts 486
02-12-17 02:25 PM - Post#221519    

Except for last year, the 3 previous years Dartmouth ended on 3-5 game win streaks.
GoBigGreenBasketball
Masters Student
Posts 805
02-12-17 02:31 PM - Post#221523    

[hoopla] ivyhoopeonline.com is looking for Dartmouth podcast voice. I bet you would be a great addition to their show. You should get in contact with them. We're woefully under represented on the podcast.

hoops123
Freshman
Posts 97
02-13-17 03:29 PM - Post#221730    

Sorry guys. Had to watch the replays. Vacation in Puerto Rico with the family. OK. Had to weigh in on the Fleming/Barry debate. Where was our team at Yale? Fleming 5 points, 2 assts, 1 steal, 1 T/O in 22 mins! Barry 0 pts and 2 steals in 17 mins! What?? I am too sunburned to go through each player so I'll be general. Our defense was fair to poor all game at Yale. Our team is awful at keeping their body between the man and the basket. Our foot speed on defense is deathly slow for ALL players. The worst defenders are Sistare and Fleming. Barry is in a close race to tie for first. If we had a Linda Ronstadt stats category(for you non-golfers, a Linda Ronstadt is a Blue Bayou (Blew By You...as in my shot blew by you) her greatest hit as a singer. I am convinced Fleming and Sistare lead the league in Linda Ronstadts. Their feet look glued to the floor at both Yale and Brown. Opposing guards must be licking their chops when they see Fleming guarding them. One crossover or power dribble and Fleming is chasing his man as he makes a layup. Now to be fair, Fleming outplayed Barry this weekend. Fleming had the game of his life Saturday, and I give credit where credit is due. Barry was a no show all weekend. But Fleming's Brown game raises a point that has troubled me and many board members all year: Where was that scoring the other 20 games of the year, or the other 40 combined games of Fleming's Junior (1.9ppg season avg) and Freshman year (2.3ppg season avg)?? I'm thrilled he had his second career high of the season. Without it we don't beat Brown. Again, hat's off to Fleming. But where was it at Yale, or the 4 games this year when Fleming scored ZERO points?? If you watch the tape of the Brown game (I did...twice) Fleming gets blown by his man and our defense has to make up for the fact that he cant keep his man in front of him. So his plus/minus for the game (counting the numbers of time he fouls or his man beats him and scores or causes our defense to help)must be close. SO he scored 17 points but his lack of defensive presence killed us many times. Watch the end of the game (last two mins) when we need to get a stop. Fleming has no idea where he is at the top of the key, allows himself to get slightly picked, and his man makes an uncontested layup. Fleming throws up his hands like "I just got beat like I have all game, why didn't you guys stop him?". Sistare has equally slow foot speed. Watch him trying to guard Spieth. He put him on the line twice in crunch time and Spieth made all 4 foul shots. Spieth went to the basket at will. The real question is why did Mclaughlin think that would work (slow against fast, pretty easy call) and when it didn't, why didn't he fix it?????? Put Cam Smith on him!! Sistare was guarding Spieth at the end of the game! The reason we won the Brown game is we finally had multiple guys step up and hit shots. Our leading POY candidate Boudreaux got his 11th double/double, had 21 and 13 against Brown, and is always the picture of consistency (even against Yale he was game leading scorer with 15 pts). Smith (who played great defense on Spieth btw) and Wright finally came alive in the second half to put points on the board. Wes Dickinson has really upped his game and is a much stronger presence inside. His length alters shots and he can dunk almost every time he gets the ball. Clearly the most improved player on the team. Fleming hit good shots, but he and Sistare easily could have lost the game for us as their defense was so poor. We were very lucky to win the Brown game. On to Mclaughlin: very concerned about his in game adjustments (can't put an offense together to play/score against a zone - STILL). Game plan against Yale was poor. Brown ok. Substitution patterns are all over the map. Pretty sure his plan is "when a player makes two shots in 4 mins, take him out and rest him", cause he ALWAYS takes out guys on a roll/when they are on fire. WHY?????? Sure coach, let's ice our guys so the other team doesn't have to do it. Ok, gotta get to the pool with the family. Had to vent a bit. Fleming (only because he isn't turning the ball over) should stay our starter (and not because he happened to get 17 points.) It's only the second time he's been in double figures in 61 career games played. The whole team needs to step up, up their games, make their shots, and PLEASE PLAY DEFENSE! And we MIGHT get lucky and contend for the 4th spot. Sorry for all of you in the Northeast with the blizzards. I feel for you. Now where did I put that sunblock...
Old Bear
Postdoc
Posts 3988
02-13-17 04:31 PM - Post#221734    

Haven't seem much of Dartmouth this year, but I suspect you are right on Dickinson. 7 for 11 from three in the second half, 50+ for the game, has Dartmouth done that before this year? I agree with H123 that D was lucky in this one, damn it, but Brown helped some.
GoBigGreenBasketball
Masters Student
Posts 805
02-16-17 07:03 PM - Post#222038    

• GoBigGreenBasketball Said:
[hoopla] ivyhoopeonline.com is looking for Dartmouth podcast voice. I bet you would be a great addition to their show. You should get in contact with them. We're woefully under represented on the podcast.

Looks like ivyhoopsonline.com reeled in someone on the big green staff to be in the next show. I still think you should throw your hat in the proverbial ring!

GoBigGreenBasketball
Masters Student
Posts 805
02-16-17 11:37 PM - Post#222051    

On The Vine - Dartmouth Guest

hoopla
Masters Student
Posts 486
02-17-17 09:23 AM - Post#222062    

Thanks GBGB, but I don't think I'm the guy for this. How bout yourself!
GoBigGreenBasketball
Masters Student
Posts 805
02-17-17 03:36 PM - Post#222109    

Looks like they found a guy from inside the program!

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.426 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:02 PM