Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: YALE GAME #2
GoBigGreenBasketball
Masters Student
Posts 805
02-25-17 10:39 AM - Post#223491    

Dartmouth Basketball
Predictions Update
Feb 25, 2017
• After losing to Brown 80-75 yesterday, Dartmouth is now projected to finish the regular season 6-21 (3-11 Ivy).
• We currently rank Dartmouth as the #289 team in the country, and the #8 team in the Ivy.
• Next game: Sat, Feb 25 vs. #138 Yale. Our power ratings give the Big Green a 31% chance to win.
"...no excuses - only results!”

GoBigGreenBasketball
Masters Student
Posts 805
02-25-17 10:55 PM - Post#223662    

It was a pretty decent game all in all. There were a couple of coaching errors in the game, we blew the 7 point gift from the basketball gods. We got killed from deep by three Yale players Reynolds, Oni, and Dallier. Not making an adjustment to defend one or all of those players falls on the coaches. These 3 guys took 18 of Yale's 21 3s and we couldn't recognize or get a hand in their face or run them off the line.

After watching Jones, Amaker, Engles...basically all the other ivy coaches it very clear that McLaughlin is up tight. His team looks uptight, there's no flow or rhythm. Maybe it's a first year coach thing, but it's pretty clear. He looks pensive on the sideline and at time indecisive. Calling guys off the bench and sending them back. He has players let them make plays. Watching Oni and Copeland on Yale just free flowing and making plays while we struggle to find a way to force the ball into Evan. The one thing that jumped out to me was when Evan got his 4 foul it's the end of the game leave him in. Soon as he came out Yale went on their final run sensing blood in the water. By the time McLaughlin realized his mistake and put Evan back in the game was lost.

The other issue is that with out Evan first style when he's out of the game the offense sputters. Players are indecisive on who's going to get the ball on offense, the defense is fine. There's a lack of certainty or trust when Evan isn't the focal point. We will have to find a way to play with and without Evan if we're ever going to make a run in the next two years. All Evan all the time is not a recipe for multi game success. This season record clearly show that that strategy doesn't work.

This team has "PLAYERS" but right now it's not a players program. Boudreaux is a gamer, Barry is a PLAYER, Carter is a PLAYER, Guillien is a player, and Myles is a player (streaky), Taylor is a gamer, and Cameron is a player.

Evan should be playing in the ACC and Barry and Carter are really good together. Mclaughlin has got to figure out how to allow these guys to play together. Cam Smith defensive effort during the Brown game settled it for me. Not playing him this year was a HUGE MISTAKE!!! McLaughlin has to develop trust in someone other than Evan.

After this season you don't go to the Woods for the basketball you go for the education. Hopefully we'll see a major jump next year. My fear is that we didn't prioritize our underclass enough this year and we only have Miles for one more year and Evan and Guilien for two. I'm very concerned about our teams development. I wonder if someone asks the guys if they got better this year what their answer would be?

hoops123
Freshman
Posts 97
02-25-17 11:26 PM - Post#223668    

Agree with your assessments. I stopped counting as our defensive liabilities (Fleming, he might as well stand at half court cause his guy runs by him EVERY time, Wright who spaces and loses sight of his man 6-10 times a game and he makes a layup, Johnson who plays ZERO defense and has the foot speed of a ground sloth, and Sistare who get s run by every time) go to 12 missed assignments with scores. We need guard help and fast. we're awful....
EasyGreen1
Freshman
Posts 22
02-25-17 11:49 PM - Post#223676    

GoBigGreenBasketball, you have summed this season up very well. The way the promise and talent of this team has been squandered is shameful. All season I waited for McLaughlin and his staff to make the clearly needed changes and adjustments to strategy and player usage, but to no avail. McLaughlin stubbornly stuck to a script that was doomed from its inception and in the process lost any chance of gaining the "buy-in" from the players he claimed to seek. As you stated not using Cam all year is inexplicable and to waste a talented player"s junior year that way is heartbreaking. It has to be noted too that once Taylor was moved to his natural 2 guard position he has flourished and that only highlights Cam's absence at the PG position. Not once this year did McLaughlin have the returning starters (Evan, Miles, Taylor, and Cam) on the floor at the same time! Leadership is more that just doing something your way and then stubbornly refusing to make needed adjustments when your initial decisions aren't producing positive results. Sadly, this season is done and there is no joy in the woods.

GoBigGreenBasketball
Masters Student
Posts 805
02-26-17 01:25 AM - Post#223696    

I think you hit it on the head "STUBBORN" trying to do things his way without really adapting to the players he had. Unfortunately, I don't see that changing in the seasons to come.

The record clearly tells us everything we need to know. There are no moral victories and whatever incremental improvement the coaching staff see is not going to be enough to take Dartmouth from the bottom of the Ivy to the tournament. I feel like our school's basketball program is doomed to mediocrity and not because we lacked talent. Look when you look back at our W's they were just barely wins, rarely more than single digits. We don't play to win we play not to lose. And you don't win many games when you play not to lose.

Look I get that coaching is hard business and that there are going to be winners and losers in the game of basketball. So it really becomes about all the other things that go into winning and losing. There is no system in the world that can make mediocre players great, but you can have a system that makes great players mediocre. Trying to turn Johnson into a point guard was pointless. I can't give him any credit for fixing that mistake. I my opinion that's the kind of mistake a D-I head coach can't make. That's poor talent recognition. We fans could see it after the first games. I saw Barry play only for a few minutes in the first couple of games an knew he was a baller and I'm not Jerry West. I saw Cam play just a few minutes and knew he could play...that was last year!!! I'm sure Cormier didn't take all the game film with him when he got the boot! SMH.

But it is what it is. I don't expect any major changes in the final two games. I also don't expect any different results. I understand that if you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

Here's an example. Barry shoots it at a league high .435 clip, he only takes about two 3's a game. That's two fewer than both Evan and Miles. Why isn't he shooting the ball more from deep. Because we're not running plays for him to shoot the ball. Your best 3 point shooter should not have that few attempts per game. Not in this era. That's not winning coaching.

GoBigGreenBasketball
Masters Student
Posts 805
02-26-17 11:39 AM - Post#223727    

Brent Barry ranks 13th all-time in career three-point field goals made and shot .400 from behind the arc for his career in the NBA. His relative young Brendan Barry shoots .429 for his college career.

So far he's taken 49 3s this season for his (.429) average. Here are select other players 3PA and %s: 113 (.339), 103 (.350), 89 (.360), 51 (.333), 47 (.383), 31 (.129)

The guy who shoots it best should probably have way more attempts that a guy who shoots .129 or .339. But hey I'm no statistician or numbers guru. IJS

hoops123
Freshman
Posts 97
02-26-17 01:14 PM - Post#223755    

All fine and all, but Barry has to get stronger and tougher and play defense or he won't be on the court much. He's too much of a defensive liability and turnover liability to be a starter, though I contradict myself in that Fleming started and played ZERO defense......
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6391
02-26-17 02:43 PM - Post#223772    

And there is a big part of the problem -- no complete players (accept for, obviously Boudreaux) makes it very difficult to cover one deficiency without exposing another. Fleming is very interesting -- his assist/turnover rate is otherworldly, and coaches lend to love it if they have a PG who can distribute without giving it up. But as you point out, there are give ups you make elsewhere. Seems like the team needs to sew a couple of players together.

I do think that Dartmouth has played below a sort of athletic tipping point this year. Even Boudreaux isn't particularly fast or athletic. So the team just looks slow, particularly on defense. Cormier seemed to get this mix right more often than not, though it could be personnel rather than mix -- Mitola and Boehm made a big difference, and may have made Wright more effective.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4894
02-26-17 03:45 PM - Post#223785    

Boehm did so many things well, the opposite of what you're concerned with here.
GoBigGreenBasketball
Masters Student
Posts 805
02-26-17 06:54 PM - Post#223798    

• hoops123 Said:
All fine and all, but Barry has to get stronger and tougher and play defense or he won't be on the court much. He's too much of a defensive liability and turnover liability to be a starter, though I contradict myself in that Fleming started and played ZERO defense......

I looked at Barry's defensive stats. With him on the floor the Green allow fewer points per possession than almost any other person on the floor. Yeah he could be stronger and bigger, but the data says when he's on the court the Green are better defensively.

Guys are going to get beat from time to time. Sometimes you have to look beyond the single defensive lapse to see the broader impact. A good example is the near comeback versus Brown. Look who was on the floor when we got stops and clawed our way back into the game. Once you pulled those guys the deficit ballooned again. The problem is the lack of offensive direction when Evan isn't the focal point.

You can also go back to the UNH game where they played a host of freshman, I highlighted that in an earlier thread "McLaughlin 3:14". One of the key takeaways was that when those kids were on the floor with only Fleming URI didn't go on the run I would have thought they would with that much inexperience on the court. The total opposite was true, they held their own.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.219 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:06 AM