Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Publicity Watch
dperry
Postdoc
Posts 2211
dperry
03-11-17 11:56 AM - Post#226213    

Not a bloody thing about the Ivies on the main ESPN college hoops page, at least the mobile version. Also, the men's games are going up against the Big10, SEC, and A10. Lot of attention we're going to get.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32684
03-11-17 12:36 PM - Post#226224    

Great interview with AJ on Action News here this morning---he said no one wants to face them now---they have nothing to lose.

Team did look very loose at run through yesterday.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4894
03-11-17 01:57 PM - Post#226252    

Yeah, I noticed the total eclipse of Ivy hoops also. Must be the last conference to finish and it isn't even an afterthought. Huge loss of attention from the earlier system.
westphillywarrior
Sophomore
Posts 196
03-11-17 02:04 PM - Post#226254    

• palestra38 Said:
Great interview with AJ on Action News here this morning---he said no one wants to face them now---they have nothing to lose.

Team did look very loose at run through yesterday.

I guess it's ok for AJ to say there's nothing to lose, he has three more years.
To me, a chance to go to the NCAA Tournament by winning twice at the Palestra is an awesome opportunity.
Let's win this for Matt Howard.

dperry
Postdoc
Posts 2211
dperry
03-11-17 02:24 PM - Post#226263    

Still nothing on ESPN.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry
Postdoc
Posts 2211
dperry
03-11-17 05:16 PM - Post#226364    

And still nothing on ESPN.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry
Postdoc
Posts 2211
dperry
03-11-17 07:59 PM - Post#226402    

OK, now home and looking at the desktop ESPN site, and finally a highlight of the big Yale dunk near the end, and a couple of tweets. Still not anything like what Yale got the last weekend of the season last year.
David Perry
Penn '92

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21085
03-11-17 10:58 PM - Post#226420    

Write-up by John Feinstein and he's on board for having it at the Palestra every year:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/ivy...
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4894
03-11-17 11:11 PM - Post#226422    

Probably pretty hard to find any players or coaches who dislike this thing to come out in public. The happy-talk propaganda is pretty deafening. But it's been a publicity fiasco so far relative to the past few years.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21085
03-11-17 11:14 PM - Post#226424    

Who was kvetching about any issues related to holding it at the Palestra when this was first announced?

No-one.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 6997
Chip Bayers
03-11-17 11:20 PM - Post#226427    

Only thing that gave this any buzz at all was that we got another edition of College Basketball's Greatest Rivalry. The place mostly emptied out after the P-P game.

I shudder to think what this event will be like on a neutral court in New England like Bridgeport or Providence.

dperry
Postdoc
Posts 2211
dperry
03-11-17 11:21 PM - Post#226428    

• penn nation Said:
Who was kvetching about any issues related to holding it at the Palestra when this was first announced?

No-one.

I think a large part of that was that a lot of people didn't think Penn was going to make it.
David Perry
Penn '92

SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4894
03-11-17 11:22 PM - Post#226429    

Wrong, PN. Lots of people thought the Palestra was a crazy idea from jump. It still is if Penn participates.
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
03-11-17 11:43 PM - Post#226430    

• Chip Bayers Said:
. The place mostly emptied out after the P-P game.

This assertion may be technically accurate as far as it goes.

But the place looked fairly full for most of the H-Y game. At least that's is not the way it came across on TV.

Maybe ESPNU used CGI?
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21085
03-11-17 11:48 PM - Post#226431    

Precisely. And I bet no-one was raising any kind of stink when Penn started out 0-6, either.

• dperry Said:
  • penn nation Said:

No-one.

I think a large part of that was that a lot of people didn't think Penn was going to make it.

Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 6997
Chip Bayers
03-12-17 12:14 AM - Post#226433    

• Go Green Said:
  • Chip Bayers Said:
. The place mostly emptied out after the P-P game.

This assertion may be technically accurate as far as it goes.

But the place looked fairly full for most of the H-Y game. At least that's is not the way it came across on TV.

Maybe ESPNU used CGI?

Yeah I was there and this wasn't remotely true.

HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2685
03-12-17 01:35 AM - Post#226440    

Was at the Palestra today. First game was decidedly a home game for Penn.

Place felt empty for second game. Long trip from New England to southernmost locale. Harvard band was late to the game after working last night's hockey game.

Buzz I heard was that this was the nail in the coffin for holding the tournament here again. Palestra is a wonderful place, if you're Penn. Penn historical banners that were supposed to be coming down stayed up.

I don't see any chance that the tourney is held here again as a supposedly 'neutral' site. Not a knock on the Palestra, just the wrong thing to do. League dodged a major bullet when Princeton pulled the game out in OT.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 6997
Chip Bayers
03-12-17 01:56 AM - Post#226442    

The evidence derived from the second game is that this was a poorly planned and priced event and the only thing worse than having it in the Palestra is having it anywhere else.

HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2685
03-12-17 02:12 AM - Post#226445    

Any predetermined home locale is a mistake - unless it rotates every year, in which case the glaring inequity is accepted. Even so, a location on the periphery (e.g., the "Southernmost Point") presents unique issues. Imagine how few Dartmouth or Cornell fans would have made this trip!

You might be right, there may not be a better option. If the Penn and Princeton fans hadn't flooded the place, it would have been embarrassingly dead. As posted on the Penn board, after the P-P game the place emptied, leaving approx 2,500 fans, including Princeton fans who stuck around to scout since they had already paid for the seats. This is remarkable given the usual intensity and loyalty of Yale and Harvard basketball fans.

The paucity of coverage doesn't surprise me. Ivy alums are the only ones that care about our intra-family contest. The country only cares when a mid-major has a chance to pull an upset, not when mid-majors scrimmage amongst themselves for the privilege of trying to pull that upset.

If the players and coaches want this that's great. Just don't expect anyone else in the country to care.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 6997
Chip Bayers
03-12-17 02:50 AM - Post#226451    

• Quote:
Imagine how few Dartmouth or Cornell fans would have made this trip!

In the fin aid and AI landscape of the "new" Ivy dictated by HYP, I think Dartmouth and Brown are crap out of luck. So let's not worry about Dartmouth. Cornell is the only concern here, as the other big population school alongside Penn which might qualify for the 4 seed in this ridiculous format.

When you start running down the list of oft-mentioned "neutral" locales listed as potential sites - Bridgeport, Hartford, Providence Civic Center, etc. - in all cases Philadelphia is closer to Ithaca than any of them.

Just for example, the Palestra is 229 miles from Newman Arena. It's 257 miles to Webster Bank in Bridgeport, 280 miles to the XL Center in Hartford.

I suppose they could look at someplace like the Times-Union Center in Albany, since even when the MAAC tourney is held there as it was this year (on the HOME COURT of conference member Siena), it's done before the Sat.-Sun. of Selection Weekend. T-U Center is equidistant from Lavietes & Newman (166 mi. in each case) & 235 mi. from the Palestra - farther for Penn to travel to than the Palestra is from Yale.

But screw 'em if they can't take a joke, amiright?

Still, good luck getting an Ivy student or alum not named Rockefeller or Roosevelt to go to Albany voluntarily in March. Or any other month.

Tiger84
Senior
Posts 376
03-12-17 09:18 AM - Post#226461    

Lot of folks left to grab bite to eat or check into hotels, the next came back for 2nd half of H-Y and the 2nd women's game.
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
03-12-17 11:24 AM - Post#226474    

• Tiger84 Said:
Lot of folks left to grab bite to eat or check into hotels, the next came back for 2nd half of H-Y and the 2nd women's game.

That would account for the discrepancies between what TV viewers saw and what people who say that they were there are describing.

It looked like great TV. Maybe the EPSN guys are used to placing the camera where there are fans.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2685
03-12-17 11:46 AM - Post#226479    

The place was EMPTY for the second women's game. I was there.

H-Y seemed rather empty as well. 2,500 (at best) in an arena that seats 3.5X that felt very strange. The arena was empty compared to just 7 nights before - I was at both games. It's one thing to play in a vacuous MSG or Prudential Center, somewhat anticlimactic to play in the Palestra without even the attendance of a regular season game.
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
03-12-17 11:50 AM - Post#226481    

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
The place was EMPTY for the second women's game. I was there.

H-Y seemed rather empty as well. 2,500 (at best) in an arena that seats 3.5X that felt very strange. The arena was empty compared to just 7 nights before - I was at both games. It's one thing to play in a vacuous MSG or Prudential Center, somewhat anticlimactic to play in the Palestra without even the attendance of a regular season game.

Friend, I believe you.

But if it makes you feel better, the H-Y game didn't come across as "empty" on television.

Going to tune in soon for the championship.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 6997
Chip Bayers
03-12-17 12:03 PM - Post#226482    

There's nobody there.

Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 6997
Chip Bayers
03-12-17 12:36 PM - Post#226499    

Who compiled an all-time All-Ivy First Team that had Jeremy Lin on it? Bradley, McMillian, Allen, Maloney, and ... Lin?

Princeton and Penn alone have a good 6-7 guys each who were better Ivy players than Lin in their careers. Even Harvard in its decrepit basketball history prior to the last ten years had at least a couple.

Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
03-12-17 01:30 PM - Post#226520    

• Chip Bayers Said:
Who compiled an all-time All-Ivy First Team that had Jeremy Lin on it? Bradley, McMillian, Allen, Maloney, and ... Lin?

I was thinking the same thing.
section110
Masters Student
Posts 847
03-13-17 09:22 AM - Post#226706    

I assume it was ESPN who had the security guards waving to us in the upper level to move down to the chair backs lower level early in the women's final and that's why the place looked more filled on TV than it was & looked inside the Palestra.
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
03-13-17 09:38 AM - Post#226710    

• section110 Said:
I assume it was ESPN who had the security guards waving to us in the upper level to move down to the chair backs lower level early in the women's final and that's why the place looked more filled on TV than it was & looked inside the Palestra.

Always a small victory when you buy rafter seats for a game, and the guards tell you to move down to the lower bowl so it looks better for television.

That's happened to me twice at NBA games.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21085
03-13-17 10:08 AM - Post#226713    

Back in the early 1980s in the old Chicago Stadium we were at the season finale for the non-playoff bound Bulls. We were way up in the balcony and the guards had us come down--we had front row seats on the baseline. Later got an autograph from a sweat-drenched Herb Williams (then a Pacer) as he was leaving the court.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.217 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:43 PM