Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: MH's future
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
03-16-17 06:00 PM - Post#227388    

And while we are speculating...
Tiger81
Masters Student
Posts 409
Tiger81
03-18-17 11:05 AM - Post#227537    

There is often a domino effect that creates unanticipated job openings. After watching Rhode Island take it to Creighton yesterday you have to wonder if Danny Hurley will become a candidate for a Power 5 conference job like Indiana. Last year he was mentioned for the Rutgers and St. John's openings and the previous year his brother moved to Arizona State after just 2 years at Buffalo. The coaches at Wichita State and Dayton have also been listed as candidates to make the jump from a mid-major.

The pay package would be better for Coach Henderson at a place like Rhode Island and the A10 may be a better platform than the Ivies to ultimately ascend to a big-time job if that is his ambition. In any case it was a relief that in his post-game comments after the ND heartbreaker he didn't profess that he "love, love, loves" Princeton basketball!
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
03-18-17 11:44 AM - Post#227541    

As you suggest, there could be a chain reaction. I looked at the names of coaches being mentioned for the Indiana job and it might free up a good high end mid major coaching job that might be a step to a "big" job down the road. Same may be true when they fill the CAL job.

Henderson may well get a good opportunity but let's hope he stays -- deep down, I believe that he will be leaving. If he does stay, it says a lot about what he thinks about prospects of Tiger basketball.

At PrincetonTigers.com, they have a video of Mitch, Weisz, Cook and Cannady post-game. After watching the video, I would want my son to play for Henderson.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
03-18-17 11:51 AM - Post#227542    

Mitch has plenty returning and coming in not to need to jump. I think your right to talk about the second-order effects, though. I don't think Mitch would be in play for any of the current openings, but what if, say, Collins got plucked from Northwestern. Or something like that. That's where I think things could get interest.

But a lot of talent on that roster, so he can afford to wait for the right opportunity.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
03-18-17 12:23 PM - Post#227545    

It is evident to most that an Ivy bball coaching job is a very unusual situation for a candidate, and the candidate must be drawn by other priorities than simply cash. Unless policies change, Princeton, for example, will NEVER win a bidding war against a power conf U or a high major. The only way to recruit, or retain, an exceptional coach is through appeal to other priorities (educational environment, quality of life, identity with Ivy values, non-cash perks, family connections, institutional loyalty or appeal, etc.). A comfortable financial package is necessary, but not sufficient. But, if a current full prof's salary is not viewed ss sufficiently comfortable by the candidate, we can't compete.

SJ is unfairly maligned, if we assume that his reason for accepting Fairfield was solely a big pile of $ on the table. He had other attractions to FU, personal friends, religion and others, that supplemented a cash package that we would never match. Still, he is member of the Princeton Family. That growing family is always there when/if a SJ, JT III, etc. moves to another position.

For now, perhaps MH and his family are developing stronger ties in the community that might offset all but very few extremely lucrative and otherwise attractive matches. The U can only try to accommodate MH as much as possible within its financial guidelines until one of those comes along for Mitch. We can only hope. If/when the day comes, I'm confident that there will be a line of fine young candidates vying to fill his shoes.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4894
03-18-17 01:11 PM - Post#227548    

Just watched the post-game press conference video. Weisz sure sounds like a future Princeton coach.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
03-18-17 01:54 PM - Post#227551    

Tough to watch -- Spencer and Devin were still, noticeably, coping with their dissappointment from the game. Classy reactions though, no excuses. We shall hear much more from Mssrs. Cannady, Stephens and Bell in the year(s) ahead.🐅
TigerFan
PhD Student
Posts 1871
03-18-17 03:03 PM - Post#227558    

The emotions are really raw on that video. You can tell that the guys really came to win, and expected to win, not just to show well. Thank you Tigers for an incredible season. I will really miss the seniors but future is very bright indeed.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
03-18-17 03:33 PM - Post#227560    

I encourage fellow Tigers to email Mitch (mgh@princeton.edu) and pass on your appreciation of the coaches and team members and of what a great season they had. We are a small tribe. But, our support is important to them.

1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2260
1LotteryPick1969
03-18-17 04:19 PM - Post#227565    

In one of the earlier interviews, Henderson mentioned the "modern" Princeton offense and the three man game. He specifically mentioned Kittles as contributing to this.

I would think Kittles would be a great snag for a low D1 team willing to gamble. His name alone would help recruiting.

And even if Sydney Johnson left only for the doubling of his salary, who could blame him! Fairfield is a great school, fine academics, and a good basketball heritage.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3578
03-19-17 11:09 AM - Post#227677    

• mrjames Said:
Mitch has plenty returning and coming in not to need to jump. I think your right to talk about the second-order effects, though. I don't think Mitch would be in play for any of the current openings, but what if, say, Collins got plucked from Northwestern. Or something like that. That's where I think things could get interest.

But a lot of talent on that roster, so he can afford to wait for the right opportunity.

I know it wasn't your primary point, but Collins is not going anywhere. Unless Coach K retires and Duke goes after him, he will be at NW for the foreseeable future. It's where he grew up in a town he is adored at a school where they have given him the resources to compete in a Power 5 conference. There are not a lot of jobs he would leave NW for IMO.

Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
03-19-17 11:44 AM - Post#227680    

• PennFan10 Said:

There are not a lot of jobs he would leave NW for IMO.

Agreed.

But UCLA could be one of them. If Alford goes back to Indiana, I’m sure UCLA will look at Collins.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21081
03-19-17 11:53 AM - Post#227681    

No way does Collins leave this off-season. NU loses one starter and a reserve but that's it. It will be an even stronger team next year, one flush with confidence. And you know that the whole team and Collins now have a huge chip on their shoulder given what happened against Gonzaga.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4894
03-19-17 01:08 PM - Post#227688    

It's funny how much people are hyping that one bad call against Gonzaga. It would have been a relatively minor setback had Collins not blown his cool and gotten the technical.
TigerFan
PhD Student
Posts 1871
03-19-17 01:19 PM - Post#227692    

NW has enjoyed a real strong following from the sports media so I'm not surprised by all of the outrage over that call. It was a terrible call but most games have at least one clunker. Collins' storming the court and handing over two points is what turned the momentum.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3578
03-19-17 02:16 PM - Post#227710    

NW will be good next year. The senior starter (Lumpkin) already shared most of his minutes with Skelly who is a sophomore. And the reserve Senior, Taphorn, was already filling in for Falzone, who was out for the year. So NW really returns their top 8.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21081
03-19-17 02:23 PM - Post#227713    

I'll take Lumpkin over Skelly but yes, this is a team that should be even better next year.
puband09
Masters Student
Posts 782
03-19-17 04:29 PM - Post#227730    

Does anyone else ever look at the big picture of college basketball and think that it might be a better decision for any adequate Princeton MBB coach to stay in Princeton rather than compete in the coaching rat race? Sure, you'll make more money at a different school, but for how long? Carmody eventually got Canned from NU. JTIII would be out by now if he had a different last name. I'm honestly a little surprised SJ is still at Fairfield, and don't even get started on Joe Scott.

What exactly is these guys' long-term goal? If you stay at Princeton, you'll probably never get fired, and if you stick around long enough, you might become an NCAA legend. The pay is plenty to live a comfortable life in central NJ.
Old Bear
Postdoc
Posts 3988
03-19-17 08:20 PM - Post#227753    

MH has earned the right to gain a bigger paycheck. It's up to him if he wants to take it. Does anyone think Carmody regrets his decision to leave?
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
03-19-17 08:24 PM - Post#227755    

• puband09 Said:
Does anyone else ever look at the big picture of college basketball and think that it might be a better decision for any adequate Princeton MBB coach to stay in Princeton rather than compete in the coaching rat race?

Courtney Banghart says hi.

Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
03-19-17 09:52 PM - Post#227761    

I don't think that anyone resents a coach leaving for a disproportionate paycheck. An Ivy, like Princeton, can only make the job attractive in other ways to try to offset the pay difference. But, the pay difference, if large enough, may by itself, or supplemented by other factors, overcome anything that the institution can come up with. (I hope that Bill Carmody is financially secure after several years at NW. He now presumably has the freedom to give larger consideration to other quality of life factors than money).

One attractive feature, for a guy like MH, is coaching in a culture that he is familiar with. He, better than a coach with no Ivy or comparable background, can understand and address the demands, athletic and academic, of his players. He has a more personal and secure connection with Princeton, lives in a pleasant environment, and is relatively free of the "win now or else" climate that some coaches must endure in exchange for their huge paychecks. But if/when MH receives an offer that he can't refuse, Princeton can return to the growing family of Princeton coaches to search for a young and capable successor.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4894
03-23-17 05:08 PM - Post#228029    

Hey, with Tom Crean out and Dan Dakich all over the media insisting on an "Indiana guy" as his replacement while the administration wants nothing to do with the Knight legacy, MH might be the ideal candidate for the IU job. Of course, it would never happen, but it would be funny watching all the fans' heads explode there after an announcement.
sparman
PhD Student
Posts 1339
sparman
03-26-17 10:04 AM - Post#228139    

Not that it was ever really in play, but now off the table (unless someone wants to argue Dayton is a desirable landing spot).

Archie Miller to Indiana
TigerFan
PhD Student
Posts 1871
03-26-17 03:53 PM - Post#228162    

Sparman said:

• Quote:
...unless someone wants to argue Dayton is a desirable landing spot.

I'll take the bait and argue that Dayton is a desirable coaching spot, although I certainly hope that MH will stay put. Dayton has a rabid fan base, tradition of success, good positioning in a solid conference and a pretty good history of post season basketball. There's a reason the "First Four" games are played there every year--it's a town that really supports college basketball.

It's certainly a higher perch than, say, Fairfield, to pick at random another mid major program.
sparman
PhD Student
Posts 1339
sparman
03-26-17 05:02 PM - Post#228168    

Could be, but it's not a Hoosier going home.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
03-29-17 10:00 PM - Post#228324    

That horrible coach, Mitch Henderson, is one of the twenty finalists for Coach of the Year. As someone else suggested, it will be no great loss if he leaves the Tigers to take another coaching position. Yeah right.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3578
03-30-17 09:30 AM - Post#228329    

Who said that? I don't remember seeing anything like this about MH.
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
03-30-17 10:06 AM - Post#228331    

• PennFan10 Said:

I don't either.

But my guess is that bradley interpreted posts along the lines of

"If MH leaves, then it will be ok because Princeton will have plenty of potential replacements ready to go and not miss a beat"

as saying

"MH is a lousy coach."
westphillywarrior
Sophomore
Posts 196
03-30-17 10:48 AM - Post#228334    

Cute. PennFan10 asks a question and Go Green answers it. Nice to see at least one person is having fun this morning. Slow day in the office?
sparman
PhD Student
Posts 1339
sparman
03-30-17 11:31 AM - Post#228335    

You would think that GG, who seems to spend his entire waking day patrolling sports boards, would have realized that the OP was referring to a Princeton fan who has been critical of MH. But never let facts get in the way of dogma or the desire to express an uninformed opinion for the sake of getting attention.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3044
03-30-17 11:53 AM - Post#228336    

FYI, Anthony Grant has just been named the head coach at Dayton.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/20 17/3/...
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
03-30-17 11:57 AM - Post#228337    

Bingo! You can put 2 and 2 together because you think unlike....
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
03-30-17 12:13 PM - Post#228338    

• sparman Said:
You would think that GG, who seems to spend his entire waking day patrolling sports boards,. .

Again, its hard to take these types of criticisms seriously when the Princeton guys making them have several multiple more postings here than I do...

Oh well.
sparman
PhD Student
Posts 1339
sparman
03-30-17 09:11 PM - Post#228372    

Me: 66 posts in 2017.
You: 195 posts in 2017.

Perhaps we hear so much from you about the number 3 because the higher numbers confuse you.
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
03-31-17 06:05 AM - Post#228374    

You're also the one who spent a Friday afternoon giving the voy board play-by-play updates of a lacrosse game.

There are people who could give me lectures about spending time more productively. But you aren't one of them.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2260
1LotteryPick1969
03-31-17 07:02 AM - Post#228375    

• Go Green Said:
  • PennFan10 Said:

I don't either.

But my guess is that bradley interpreted posts along the lines of

"If MH leaves, then it will be ok because Princeton will have plenty of potential replacements ready to go and not miss a beat"

as saying

"MH is a lousy coach."

"Again, Mitch did not get his team ready. Thank god for Stephens."

There is one poster on the Princeton board who has consistently felt that Mitch is a poor coach and his teams choke.Those of us who are long time readers know who this is. Above is his summary after the Penn playoff game.

It makes for a lively discussion, but most do not agree. I don't consider myself astute enough to have such a strong opinion, but I like the counterpoint.

Now let us move on.

Bryan
Junior
Posts 231
03-31-17 09:59 AM - Post#228383    

Mitch has been the coach at Princeton for 6 seasons. Each Ivy League has played 84 regular season games during that time. The number of wins by school from those 84 is:
Harvard & Princeton 63, Yale 59, Penn 37, Columbia 36, Brown 27, Dartmouth 26, Cornell 25.

So Princeton has won 75% of their conference games while Mitch has been the coach. The school is fortunate to have a coach as good as he is.
Vonsid
Sophomore
Posts 143
04-01-17 02:19 AM - Post#228423    

Why is it so hard to call this person out ... gokinsmen

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.141 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:34 AM