Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Exempt tournament
barryw
Sophomore
Posts 121
04-19-17 10:18 AM - Post#228784    

Is Penn eligible to be in an exempt tournament this year? Harvard will be in the Wooden Legacy and Princeton is in the Diamond Head in Hawaii.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
04-19-17 12:01 PM - Post#228789    

Penn has been for awhile now. You get 2-in-4 years and they haven't even been in one for about four years now.

Harvard, Princeton and Yale will all be in ones this coming season, though Yale is in a non-bracketed event.
SteveChop
PhD Student
Posts 1150
04-19-17 12:45 PM - Post#228793    

Mike - do the Ivies permit 2 in 4 years? Somewhere in the back of my mind, I thought that the Ivies restricted teams to one every four years.

If Mike IS correct (and actually even if he is not), why has Penn been unable to get invited to one of these? - good for the program, i.e. a great experience for the players, and a good experience for fans.

At one point last year, I had heard a rumor that Penn was going to play in the Virgin Islands this year but never heard more about it. Anyone know if that is true?
pennhoops
Postdoc
Posts 2470
04-19-17 12:56 PM - Post#228795    

Penn's last exempt tourney was the 2012-13 Preseason NIT. They will not be playing in the USVI (Drexel will, though).

Blogging the Bracket keeps a good list of MTEs and early season tournaments: http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2016/10/18/13318...
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
04-19-17 03:01 PM - Post#228798    

It used to be that both the Ivy and NCAA rule was 1-in-4 years for exempt events. Then it became pretty clear that these events were good programming, but they couldn't be expanded if the blue bloods could only do 1-in-4, so the NCAA allowed teams to do one every year. The Ivies weren't ready to go that far, so they instituted a 2-in-4 policy.

Even though the number of these MTEs has proliferated (especially on the bracketed side), the bracketed events are still mostly dominated by major conf programs and mid-majors that have been varying shades of good in the recent past. It's much easier to get into the non-bracketed events, where essentially you play a couple major conf programs on the road (those having already been "guaranteed" a spot in the semifinals) and then a couple more games in a pool against other mid-majors. The preseason NIT is the last remaining hybrid, where you still play two games then two more in a pool, but you can earn your way to MSG - there are no "guaranteed" semifinalists.

At any rate, Penn is eligible, and I'm hopeful that they will get into one of these events soon, as they are a GREAT way to get neutral site scalps against good power conf teams:
T.P.F.K.A.D.W.
PhD Student
Posts 1169
04-19-17 03:10 PM - Post#228799    

Mike,

In which direction does the money flow, and how is it distributed?
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
04-19-17 03:21 PM - Post#228801    

B4A paid out $250K to teams, which was at the time the most lucrative MTE out there. I don't know what the others pay - can't imagine it's much - but it's certainly to the teams, not the other way around. A mid *might* have to pay to host one of those pods in a non-bracketed MTE, but I'm not sure about that.
T.P.F.K.A.D.W.
PhD Student
Posts 1169
04-19-17 04:02 PM - Post#228806    

Is that money generally evenly distributed, or do the big(ger) dogs get more money?
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
04-19-17 05:33 PM - Post#228811    

Can't speak for all of them, but B4A was equal, I believe. Granted that has become only big boys at this point anyway.

My presumption is that the payout needs to be in the neighborhood of what a team could get in a buy game at a major school, or else departments would just opt to take the guarantee for a road game.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.421 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:54 AM