Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Bison Women's Basketball 2017-18
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
07-14-17 04:02 PM - Post#230909    

Here are a few items of note as we get closer to the new season:

1. Assistant Martina Wood left to take a similar position at Richmond, closer to her home state of NC and her alma mater of UNC.

2. Brittany Pinkney, who served as the first DOBO after Aaron Roussell became the BU coach, has returned as an assistant coach. She spent the past four years as an assistant at Mount St. Mary's. One of her fellow assistants the first year was Brianna Gauthier, a former MSM player who married John Griffin the next year.

3. No schedule has been released as of yet, but I do know that the Bison will host St. Bona on November 21st, presumably as part of a doubleheader where the men will host Siena. Based on last year's schedule, there may be home return games vs Akron and St. Joes. And there may be road return games vs NJIT and Drexel. There could also be a home game with Elon, but I think the game there last year was a one-time situation to give BU another game after playing at UNC at the start of the long Thanksgiving break.

4. The new roster is up: Bucknell Women's Roster 2017-18. New additions and a few items of interest on each:

- Ally Johnson, 5-10 guard from Kentucky. She lettered for six years. Is the all-time Kentucky leader in FT pct. Scored 2126 points in her HS career and made 317 threes.

- Autumn Ceppi, 6-1 forward from Massachusetts. She made the USA Today All-Massachusetts First Team. Was POY for her NEPSAC class.

- Abby Kapp, 5-11 wing from PA (Boyertown). 1st team PA 6A all-state. Miss PA Basketball. Team won PA 6A state title this year and went 28-5.

- Tessa Brugler, 6-1 forward from PA (Nazareth). Made 2nd team PA 6A all-state team twice. Was teammate of Kapp in AAU ball.

KenZ
Postdoc
Posts 2777
KenZ
07-14-17 05:18 PM - Post#230918    

what is the early pre-season prediction for comptitive position in the PL? who/what are key factors for the team's success this year?
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
07-14-17 06:41 PM - Post#230924    

Assuming no-one leaves, I think Army will be a heavy favorite. They return all of their players - including likely preseason POY Madison Hovren - to a team that was 12-6 in league last year. Second place Navy loses three of their main eight players, including their top player, and likely will be a little worse.

As for the Bison, I see them battling for 2nd place. They graduate a lot in DeBoer, McGurk, and Swart - but return three strong players in Kaitlyn Slagus, Kate Walker, and Kyi English. Then there are a lot of prospects and a lot of questions. Ellie Mack, a 6-2 sophomore wing, was highly regarded but missed the entire season while recovering from an ACL tear. Also 6-2 senior Catherine Romaine has shown flashes of good ability but has been slowed by injuries and inconsistency. My guess would be these five will start at the beginning of the year, if all are healthy. But they will need others to step up. Definitely will need to get scoring from a couple of the freshmen, given the amount of points lost to graduation. Kapp might be the most likely to see minutes but any of the four might step in. It would also help if one or both of their two bigs, MK Moore and Maegan Mikkelsen, who both saw little PT due to injury, can develop enough to give them some real minutes at center. Continued develop of CG Gia Hayes would also help a lot.

This will be a very interesting year with the Bison having so many different pieces and so much talent to blend. The style of play may look different, but I think Roussell and staff are very good and will mold them into a quality team.

American and Boston tied for 4th last year. American loses only one player, PF Lauren Crisler, but she was a good player. They will likely challenge the Bison and maybe others for second place. Boston loses three of their top eight, but should challenge for the top half. Holy Cross underachieved last year and there are questions about their coaching, but they should be better this year with virtually their entire team returning. Lehigh also underachieved and has coaching questions, but they return their entire team and should be a lot better. Both they and HC can challenge for the first division.

Colgate was improved last year with a new coach. They lost only one player and could challenge the .500 mark. The almost certain 10th place team is Lafayette. They were terrible last year, fired their coach amidst controversy, graduated three rotation players, had their best player transfer out, and had their top recruit decommit. Also had their tallest player transfer out. If they win more than four league games, their new coach, Kia Damon, will be a strong COY candidate.

Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
07-14-17 06:50 PM - Post#230925    

Looks like Tessa Brugler and Abby Kapp were teammates on the Lehigh Valley Fever.

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
07-14-17 08:02 PM - Post#230926    

Gia Hayes played very well late in the season. I think she'll see a lot of minutes at PG & SG and contribute some scoring. I expect we'll see a lot of the freshman - if not starting, in the rotation. Mikkelsen has the potential to follow in Swart's footsteps if she can stay healthy. Moore is a great shot blocker, but not sure you can expect much offense from her yet. Walker could have a breakout year with the opportunity to play more minutes. Slagus will need to step up her game with DeBoer and Swart gone. Don't know if Romaine is ready to start, but she might have to. She's on campus this summer and hopefully getting a lot of work in the gym.

Army is going to be very good. Hovren is a great player, but I don't think they have the depth Bucknell has. American still has a young team but should be in the top 3. Loyola is always a pesky team, but lost some good players. And you can never write off Navy. They overachieved last year and no reason they couldn't again. Those are my picks for the top 5 PL teams.

Thought I heard they were going to play at Duke, but don't recall where I heard that.
nitlion
Masters Student
Posts 413
07-14-17 08:33 PM - Post#230927    

player to watch, Ellie Mack, had to sit out with knee recovery last season, this girl is the real deal, a pure shooter from all over the court.

A Western Bison
Sophomore
Posts 179
07-15-17 02:35 PM - Post#230935    

I don't know that I have said this before here, but I have thought it-- this seems like a brilliant recruiting class. I wish them well in Lewisburg and Coach Rousell hangs around to see them play their senior year.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
07-15-17 07:13 PM - Post#230938    

• nitlion Said:
player to watch, Ellie Mack, had to sit out with knee recovery last season, this girl is the real deal, a pure shooter from all over the court.

I hope she's fully recovered and can contribute. If she's as good as advertised, I could see har starting at the 3. Hopefully, she can defend as well as score.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
07-15-17 07:16 PM - Post#230939    

• A Western Bison Said:
I don't know that I have said this before here, but I have thought it-- this seems like a brilliant recruiting class. I wish them well in Lewisburg and Coach Rousell hangs around to see them play their senior year.

I agree. The incoming junior class (English, Slagus, Walker) is very good, but this class could very well be better. Could be the start of a dynasty if Aaron sticks around.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
07-17-17 11:58 AM - Post#230955    

Sune Swart has signed to play this season with Sirius Targu Muresin in the top league in Romania.

KenZ
Postdoc
Posts 2777
KenZ
07-19-17 08:21 AM - Post#231031    

open the season @Rider on Nov. 10th
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
07-19-17 12:34 PM - Post#231050    

• Bison137 Said:
Sune Swart has signed to play this season with Sirius Targu Muresin in the top league in Romania.

Congrats to Sune! She has worked very hard to get to this level.
http://www.bucknellbison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_O...
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
08-01-17 03:57 PM - Post#231478    

A couple of new items:

1. Assistant coach Carissa Thielbar resigned a few weeks ago. I presume she is moving back to her home area of the Upper Midwest. Her husband is a former MLB pitcher who has been pitching for St. Paul in the independent league.

No idea who will be replacing her. Shelby Romine, who worked as an assistant at Aaron Roussel's former school, University of Chicago, would seem like a possibility - but she is now about to begin her second year as a graduate assistant at Nebraska. To leave might make it impossible to complete her graduate degree. Another name is former manager of basketball ops Brittney Marshall, who had been working as an assistant at Illinois State but lost her job when their head coach was fired.

2. Per Drexel's recently released schedule, the Bison will play there on the road on November 18th. Others already known are home with St. Bona on November 21st and Rider on the road November 10th.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
08-11-17 08:30 PM - Post#231881    

• Bison137 Said:

2. Per Drexel's recently released schedule, the Bison will play there on the road on November 18th. Others already known are home with St. Bona on November 21st and Rider on the road November 10th.

Another addition to the schedule - Friday November 24th at Youngstown State. Possible return games from last year are St. Joes and Akron, both of which presumably would be at Sojka.

Following up on the vacant assistant position, Bucknell is now advertising for a Manager of Basketball Ops as well. At first, I thought that Lindsey Burke might have been promoted to Assistant Coach, but her name has now been removed from the roster. So apparently there are now two positions to fill.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
08-13-17 12:36 PM - Post#231910    

One more game on the women's schedule - at Iona on Sunday December 3rd. Here is what is known thus far:

11/10 @ Rider
11/18 @ Drexel
11/21 St. Bonaventure
11/24 @ Youngstown State
12/3 @ Iona

Possible return games from last year are St. Joes and Akron, both of which presumably would be at Sojka.

KenZ
Postdoc
Posts 2777
KenZ
08-14-17 02:08 PM - Post#231978    

• Bison137 Said:
One more game on the women's schedule - at Iona on Sunday December 3rd. Here is what is known thus far:

11/10 @ Rider
11/18 @ Drexel
11/21 St. Bonaventure
11/24 @ Youngstown State
12/3 @ Iona

Possible return games from last year are St. Joes and Akron, both of which presumably would be at Sojka.

12/17 @ Fordham

full schedule to be released tomorrow

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
08-14-17 03:32 PM - Post#231987    

• KenZ Said:
  • Bison137 Said:

11/10 @ Rider
11/18 @ Drexel
11/21 St. Bonaventure
11/24 @ Youngstown State
12/3 @ Iona

12/17 @ Fordham

full schedule to be released tomorrow

Hopefully a few home games will be added.

KenZ
Postdoc
Posts 2777
KenZ
08-14-17 08:55 PM - Post#231993    

i feel reasonably confident the women will get a normal number of home games, the men i am more concerned about.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
08-14-17 08:59 PM - Post#231994    

• KenZ Said:
i feel reasonably confident the women will get a normal number of home games, the men i am more concerned about.

Yes, I am concerned as well. Earlier in the summer I had heard it had been very difficult to find Teams willing to start a series at Sojka. . Do you think they will end up with a D3 game? I would not be surprised.

HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
08-14-17 10:19 PM - Post#231997    

Bloomsburg is D2 but it would be a good logistical contest and delight me.
KenZ
Postdoc
Posts 2777
KenZ
08-14-17 10:40 PM - Post#231999    

• Bison137 Said:
Do you think they will end up with a D3 game? I would not be surprised.

i consider it to be a reasonably likely possibility. remembering how tough it was to get home games in '06-'07. we only got three ooc home games that year, one a mandated bracket buster return game from UNI and another, WFU as a big favor from Skip Prosser to help us out.

i really hope we can get some more decent D1 home games, the team deserves it and this is a year to try and pull more fans in.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
08-14-17 11:12 PM - Post#232000    

• KenZ Said:
  • Bison137 Said:
Do you think they will end up with a D3 game? I would not be surprised.

i consider it to be a reasonably likely possibility. remembering how tough it was to get home games in '06-'07. we only got three ooc home games that year, one a mandated bracket buster return game from UNI and another, WFU as a big favor from Skip Prosser to help us out.

Yes, and the only reason it wasn't as bad in 2005-06 was that there were a lot of return games already locked up. That year they had five OOC home games, but I think all of the D1 matchups were returns - Villanova (Thanks, Jay Wright), Yale, Cornell, and St. Joes. The fifth game - scheduled when they couldn't get anything else - was Haverford.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
08-15-17 04:57 PM - Post#232030    

• Bison137 Said:

11/10 @ Rider
11/18 @ Drexel
11/21 St. Bonaventure
11/24 @ Youngstown State
12/3 @ Iona
12/17 @ Fordham

Add Akron in Sojka November 12th.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
08-15-17 05:15 PM - Post#232034    

Schedule is now up:

http://www.bucknellbison.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSI...

11/10 @ Rider
11/12 Akron
11/15 St. Joes
11/18 @ Drexel
11/21 St. Bonaventure
11/24 @ Youngstown State
11/26 Canisius
11/29 Binghamton
12/3 @ Iona
12/17 @ Fordham
12/20 @ Pitt

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
08-15-17 05:28 PM - Post#232036    

Very tough start to the PL schedule:

1. Navy - last year's finalist, who figures to be a top four team this year.

2. At Army - returns everyone; should be the preseason #1

3. American - returns most of last year's 4th place team; figures to be in top four this year.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
08-15-17 06:05 PM - Post#232037    

• Bison137 Said:
Very tough start to the PL schedule:

1. Navy - last year's finalist, who figures to be a top four team this year.

2. At Army - returns everyone; should be the preseason #1

3. American - returns most of last year's 4th place team; figures to be in top four this year.

Correction on the above. The first three are American (A), Boston (A), and Army (H). Boston tied for 4th last year and should be good again this year. Either way, the first three are against three first division teams.

Press release: Defending PL Women's Basketball Champs Announce 2017-18 Schedule

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
08-21-17 05:04 PM - Post#232266    

• Bison137 Said:

Assistant coach Carissa Thielbar resigned a few weeks ago. I presume she is moving back to her home area of the Upper Midwest. Her husband is a former MLB pitcher who has been pitching for St. Paul in the independent league.

Thielbar went a little further west than I expected. She is now an assistant at Colorado State in the MWC. Colorado State has won the MWC the last four years, while going 63-9 in league play.

The Bison named her replacement the other day, and it is someone with a much more extensive resume than would have been expected. The new coach is Jeanine Radice, who was the top assistant at Delaware for the past 21 years. Prior to that, she was an assistant at Seton Hall and Marist. She lost her job when Delaware's long-time head coach retired.

Radice graduated from Fordham in 1989, having been league POY in 1989, ROY in 1985, and three times All-MAAC. She was also a cross country star and was inducted into Fordham's HOF in 1995. During her time at Fordham, she hit .475 on threes, scored over 2400 points, and led the team in assists three times.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
08-23-17 01:41 PM - Post#232323    

Coach Roussell has now completed his staff for the coming year by adding Ryland Adkins as Manager of Basketball Ops. Adkins previously held the same position at Furman and, before that, was an intern to the Maryland MOBO following a four-year tenure as Maryland's student manager.

Adkins' father is currently an assistant coach with the Washington Wizards, and previously was an assistant for the Maryland women's program for five years. Prior to that, he was a HS coach and helped develop Kevin Durant, among others.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
10-24-17 10:25 PM - Post#234485    

Preseason poll and show tomorrow at 4 PM:

https://twitter.com/Bucknell_WBB/status/9 229597144...

Likely that Army, who returns their entire team, will be picked for 1st and that their forward Madison Hovren will be preseason POY. After Army, I'd expect American, Bucknell, and Navy to be next.

As a guess, I expect four of the Bison starters to be Kyi English, Kaitlyn Slagus, Kate Walker, and Katherine Romaine. Fifth starter, a guard or wing, figures to be either Ellie Mack, Gia Hayes, or possibly Abby Kapp. If Mack is fully back to form following her ACL surgery about 17 months ago, I would guess she will start on opening night. Btw, her height is now up to 6-3, very big for a wing. Bison also will need to get effective play from at least one of the centers who has seen very limited minutes in the past, i.e. MK Moore and Maegan Mikkelsen. Freshman Tessa Brugler is likely to see some minutes upfront as well.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
10-25-17 05:46 PM - Post#234611    

Bison picked as co-favorites with Army, each with 140 points and 7 first place votes. American narrowly trailed and Navy was a fairly close 4th. The voting shows a lot of respect for Aaron Roussell and the program in general. Army returns their top eight players from a 3rd place team, including the preseason POY, while Bucknell returns two starters from a 1st place team. Yet the Bison were picked as a co-favorite. Kaitlyn Slagus made the preseason All-PL team.

http://patriotleague.org/news/2017/10/25/patri ot-l...

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-08-17 10:04 PM - Post#235714    

Press Release on the two recruits, Taylor O'Brien and Marly Walls, signing their LOI's:

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
11-09-17 08:18 AM - Post#235724    

Look like two great athletes. Maybe we can convince them to come high jump during the off season.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-09-17 10:49 AM - Post#235727    

Yes, especially O'Brien. She cleared 5-8 last year - a height which often would win the PL meet. Could also help as a 400M hurdler. Walls' best was only 5-0, so she would need to show some improvement to be a contributor.

O'Brien seems to be a serious track athlete btw. Has been competing in summer meets for years. Might want to talk to her.

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
11-09-17 11:08 AM - Post#235728    

• Bison137 Said:
Yes, especially O'Brien. She cleared 5-8 last year - a height which often would win the PL meet. Could also help as a 400M hurdler. Walls' best was only 5-0, so she would need to show some improvement to be a contributor.

O'Brien seems to be a serious track athlete btw. Has been competing in summer meets for years. Might want to talk to her.

Pretty sure those conversations have already started.
HuskyColonial
PhD Student
Posts 1976
11-09-17 12:34 PM - Post#235737    

These two seem far more athletic and heralded than our recent recruits.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-09-17 01:26 PM - Post#235742    

• HuskyColonial Said:
These two seem far more athletic and heralded than our recent recruits.

More athletic. O'Brien more heralded but not Walls. Abby Kapp was Pennsylvania POY this past year, so she was very heralded. O'Brien might have a shot at that award this year.

KenZ
Postdoc
Posts 2777
KenZ
11-09-17 08:18 PM - Post#235777    

• Bison137 Said:

As a guess, I expect four of the Bison starters to be Kyi English, Kaitlyn Slagus, Kate Walker, and Katherine Romaine. Fifth starter, a guard or wing, figures to be either Ellie Mack, Gia Hayes, or possibly Abby Kapp. If Mack is fully back to form following her ACL surgery about 17 months ago, I would guess she will start on opening night. Btw, her height is now up to 6-3, very big for a wing. Bison also will need to get effective play from at least one of the centers who has seen very limited minutes in the past, i.e. MK Moore and Maegan Mikkelsen. Freshman Tessa Brugler is likely to see some minutes upfront as well.

intersting, pregame article

lists Dumiak as the fifth starter. pregame notes often not accurate, but a surprise selection regardless.

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
11-09-17 09:28 PM - Post#235782    

Dumiak is a real surprise. Coaches must have seen something they like in preseason.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-09-17 09:56 PM - Post#235783    

• jkrun80 Said:
Dumiak is a real surprise. Coaches must have seen something they like in preseason.

Yes, Roussell raved about her defense recently so I guess that it is the factor that got her into the starting lineup. I still doubt she will play major minutes, but we'll see. Hoping Mack is healthy.

BTW, I can't remember if it was reported that Carly Richardson has had to give up basketball due to concussion issues. She will play an Oberfeld-like role for the team this year.

KenZ
Postdoc
Posts 2777
KenZ
11-09-17 11:19 PM - Post#235788    

earlier reports indicated that both Mack and Moore were fully recovered from last years injuries.
KenZ
Postdoc
Posts 2777
KenZ
11-10-17 12:03 PM - Post#235801    

Rider's game notes:

http://gobroncs.com/documents/2017/11/8// 1718_GAME...

return two starters, looks like a smaller guard oriented team, some size on the bench, but not much production last year from returning bigs.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
11-10-17 07:21 PM - Post#235854    

Women down 36-27 at the half at Rider.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
11-10-17 08:06 PM - Post#235855    

Came all the way back to lead by 1 with 5:00 to play.
KenZ
Postdoc
Posts 2777
KenZ
11-10-17 08:39 PM - Post#235857    

so Kapp got the start, but both Mack and Hayes got more minutes. as noted they made a nice comeback from as much as 12 down i believe. dominated the fourth quarter.

very nice first games for Mack, Brugler and Kapp
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
11-10-17 08:49 PM - Post#235858    

Great, gutsy win! 49 points in the 2nd half, many of those from the FT line. Outscored Rider by 11 in the 4th. English played well in the 2nd half. Mack looked good with 12 pts, 5 reb. Brugler had 6 OReb and 8 total. Slagus had a quiet double double with 14/11. Very promising start to the season.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-11-17 05:55 PM - Post#235946    

Yes, very promising start. Nice to see such good numbers from three newcomers - Mack, Kapp, and Brugler. Team shot very well, got to the FT line a lot, and outrebounded Rider 46-30. At the offensive end, BU got an extremly good 45% (13/29) of available offensive rebounds. But they almost threw the game away with 28 turnovers. Aaron Roussell can't be happy with that stat. About the only good thing that can be said in that category is that they only had one turnover in the 4th quarter until two fairly meaningless ones in the final 45 seconds.

The Bison actually trailed 52-39 with two minutes left in the 3rd. Then outscored Rider 11-4 to end the quarter, followed by 26-15 in the 4th. Total margin of 37-19 over the last 12 minutes.

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
11-11-17 09:05 PM - Post#235954    

I think they had 15 turnovers in the 1st Q. Clearly some first game jitters. Slagus and Walker were both in foul trouble, but when they got back in things turned around quickly.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-12-17 04:55 PM - Post#235996    

The women did not play well today but beat a mediocre Akron team 63-52. Another 24 turnovers - which has to be driving Roussell crazy. Slagus 20 points and 15 rebounds - but also 7 turnovers. Walker and Romaine also had good games.

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
11-12-17 06:08 PM - Post#236006    

Kyi English may have had the worst game of her collegiate career. She made the 1st shot of the game then missed her next 11, including a few layups.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-13-17 07:01 PM - Post#236155    

Slagus PL Player of the Week:

Had back-to-back double doubles in their two weekend wins.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-20-17 12:42 AM - Post#236971    

Unless a lot more offers turn up, I'm not going to start a women's recruiting thread. However I see the Bison just made an offer to a 6-2 PF from Northfield Mt. Hermon - Silke Milliman. Also has offers from Penn, Davidson, Fairfield, Quinnipiac, and Northeastern - plus interest from several other Ivy's.

This is a big year for Coach Roussell as far as needing to land some players with size. They graduate Catherine Romaine this year - and both Kaitlyn Slagus and Maegan Mikkelsen next year. Those are their three main post players. He will have four scholarships to work with, and two of those four need to go to bigs.

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
11-26-17 07:13 PM - Post#237983    

The Bison have bounced back from three ugly losses to win two in a row at Youngstown St and at home today vs Canisius. They still had some scoring lapses today, but dominated the 1st & 4th quarters. Also, cut the turnovers down to 11. Hopefully, they can continue the momentum.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-27-17 11:34 AM - Post#238055    

Yesterday was one of the better days the PL has ever had in OOC play:

Holy Cross 59 Bryant 57
Boston U 61 Boston College 57
Colgate 65 Towson 61
Bucknell 76 Canisius 57
Army 82 Yale 65
Navy 86 St Bonaventure 48
LaSalle 69 Lehigh 61

Before these wins, the PL was ranked 15th among conferences by Sagarin - despite the two preseason favorites - Army and Bucknell - having played badly.

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
11-29-17 10:21 PM - Post#238453    

On the bright side, the women got a solid win over a good Binghamton team. Bison held their two star players to 9-36 shooting. They let a 10 point lead slip to 2 late, but Kate Walker came through with a traditional 3 point play to seal it. Would not have been that close except for a crap load of missed layups.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
11-30-17 05:13 PM - Post#238609    

Another positive note, Ally Johnson had a nice game going 3-4 from 3 in the 1st half. She spent much of the 2nd half running the point with both English and Hayes in foul trouble. I think this was only her 3rd game back. This freshman class + Mack are showing some great potential.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-30-17 05:35 PM - Post#238611    

Freshman class has potential - but play and minutes have been erratic. Kapp started initially but is now getting very little playing time. Forward Autumn Ceppi was hurt at the start of the year and has only played a handful of minutes. Johnson - who was mostly recruited as a 3-pint specialist - had shot poorly before last night. Hopefully this game will get her rolling, as she hit almost 43% on threes during her HS career. And forward Tessa Brugler, who looked good the first couple of games, has missed the last five games due to illness (mono?). She has been on the bench for the games but can't play.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-30-17 06:09 PM - Post#238614    

Forgot to mention that the schedule has been weak, ranked #304 in the nation. Winning close games is nice - but it doesn't establish the team as a PL contender. Right now they are ranked 211th nationally - 7th in the PL (Sagarin). Will need to make a lot of improvement over the next 4-6 weeks to challenge for a top spot. PL is much improved this year.

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
11-30-17 08:04 PM - Post#238617    

RealTime RPI has them at 189, 6th behind American, Boston, Army, Navy, and Lehigh. They're better than Lehigh, but it will be a battle among the other five.
The sample size is too small at this point to tell much. Our wins have been closer than they should be. The only bad loss is to St Bonaventure. The next five games are on the road and will tell a lot. They should beat Iona & Pitt. Fordham will be close. Then they start league play at American and Boston. Those will be tough games.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
11-30-17 08:06 PM - Post#238618    

• Bison137 Said:

Freshman class has potential - but play and minutes have been erratic. Kapp started initially but is now getting very little playing time. Forward Autumn Ceppi was hurt at the start of the year and has only played a handful of minutes. Johnson - who was mostly recruited as a 3-pint specialist - had shot poorly before last night. Hopefully this game will get her rolling, as she hit almost 43% on threes during her HS career. And forward Tessa Brugler, who looked good the first couple of games, has missed the last five games due to illness (mono?). She has been on the bench for the games but can't play.

Roussell said he expects Brugler back after the finals break.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-30-17 08:15 PM - Post#238619    

• jkrun80 Said:
RealTime RPI has them at 189, 6th behind American, Boston, Army, Navy, and Lehigh. They're better than Lehigh, but it will be a battle among the other five.
The sample size is too small at this point to tell much. Our wins have been closer than they should be. The only bad loss is to St Bonaventure. The next five games are on the road and will tell a lot. They should beat Iona & Pitt. Fordham will be close. Then they start league play at American and Boston. Those will be tough games.

I am much less optimistic than you about beating Pitt or Fordham. I think they will be significant underdogs in both games, and will have to play a lot better than they have played to date if they want to win. Sagarin rankings as of today:

92 Navy = 74.74
106 Army = 72.67
157 Boston U. = 68.04
161 American = 67.61
178 Holy Cross = 65.42
210 Loyola Maryland = 61.75
211 Bucknell = 61.57
231 Colgate = 59.81
236 Lehigh = 59.56
275 Lafayette = 55.80

Others:

125 Fordham = 70.93
126 Pittsburgh = 70.93
261 Iona = 57.77

bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
11-30-17 10:33 PM - Post#238628    

It says here that Coach Roussell is NOT a sixth or seventh place coach.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-30-17 10:42 PM - Post#238629    

• bison63 Said:

Agree with that, but he has a lot of things to work out. Probably not as good a rebounding team this year, and no rim protector like Sune Swart. Also no go-to player to take DeBoer's role. Additionally he will need to figure out a rotation during the next month. There are 13 players who could challenge for regular playing time - but that is too many to play regular minutes once PL games starts.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
11-30-17 11:36 PM - Post#238631    

• Bison137 Said:
  • bison63 Said:

Agree with that, but he has a lot of things to work out. Probably not as good a rebounding team this year, and no rim protector like Sune Swart. Also no go-to player to take DeBoer's role. Additionally he will need to figure out a rotation during the next month. There are 13 players who could challenge for regular playing time - but that is too many to play regular minutes once PL games starts.

And forgot to mention 20 turnovers a game thus far this year against generally mediocre opponents. There is a fair amount of talent but a lot of things to fix.

bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
12-01-17 01:35 AM - Post#238633    

I am not sure why, but the team has had a height turnover rate for a few years now.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
12-01-17 02:02 PM - Post#238678    

• bison63 Said:
I am not sure why, but the team has had a height turnover rate for a few years now.

Yes, they have not been good in the turnover category - but not as bad as this year. Here is the number of turnovers per game for the past five years, with this year's average shown first:

The women's game always has more turnovers in general. I think part of that is due to the women's refs calling more borderline travels, three seconds, etc. Part may also be due to the female players not jumping well and hence finding it harder to elevate out of traps to successfully pass or shoot. The average number of turnovers per game in women's ball this year is 16.3. On the men's side, it is 13.6.

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
12-01-17 05:14 PM - Post#238706    

The turnovers are a problem, but I attribute it to inexperience. You've got five players (4 frosh + Mack) playing their first college season and two others (Dumiak & Mikkelsen) getting their first significant playing time. I also think English has been trying to carry the team at times with the lack of experience around her and forces some things that aren't there. By the time they get to league play I'll bet the turnover rate comes down.

As far as a "go-to" player, Walker certainly stepped into that role Wednesday. She's got the ability to be their key. That said, I'd like to see Slagus step up and do more in tight games.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
12-01-17 05:29 PM - Post#238710    

• jkrun80 Said:
The turnovers are a problem, but I attribute it to inexperience. You've got five players (4 frosh + Mack) playing their first college season and two others (Dumiak & Mikkelsen) getting their first significant playing time. I also think English has been trying to carry the team at times with the lack of experience around her and forces some things that aren't there. By the time they get to league play I'll bet the turnover rate comes down.

Hopefully that stat will improve, but this team really has at least an average amount of experience. Four of the five starters (Slagus, English, Walker, and Romaine) are juniors or seniors who have played a lot in past years. True, juniors Dumiak and Mikkelsen haven't played as much - but playing in their third year, they should know the system well. Between these six juniors/seniors, they account for 143 of the 200 minutes played per game. And reserve PG, Gia Hayes, played over 11 mpg last year and is playing 15 mpg this year. Compared to other teams on the schedule, that is not really an inexperienced team.

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
12-20-17 03:45 PM - Post#240804    

Trying to watch the Pitt game, but it's too painful. 18 TOs & 16 pts in the first half. Total lack of focus and effort. Pitt is not very good, but we're giving the game away. Aaron needs to shake things up.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
12-20-17 04:11 PM - Post#240808    

• jkrun80 Said:
Trying to watch the Pitt game, but it's too painful. 18 TOs & 16 pts in the first half. Total lack of focus and effort. Pitt is not very good, but we're giving the game away. Aaron needs to shake things up.

Unfortunately he has tried to shake things up already, but the newcomers have not done much with their chances. Team at the moment is looking like a second division PL team.

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
12-21-17 08:03 PM - Post#240992    

Have to agree this team does not look good. Their RPI (210) is currently 6th in the PL. Navy and American are both in the top 100. American beat Penn State today at home. PSU is a mid-pack Big 10 team, so that's no small feat. An 0-3 start to PL play wouldn't surprise me with games @American, @Boston, and vs. Army. They have the talent to be in the top 3 or 4 but are seriously under performing so far.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
12-21-17 08:43 PM - Post#240995    

Agree. Btw, here is what the Sagarin rankings look like for the PL:

62 Navy = 77.78 9 - 1
116 American = 68.03 7 - 4
169 Boston U. = 60.45 5 - 4
189 Army = 58.63 6 - 4
221 Holy Cross = 54.35 5 - 6
222 Bucknell = 54.34 6 - 5
223 Colgate = 54.33 4 - 6
250 Lehigh = 49.34 5 - 5
266 Lafayette = 46.23 4 - 6
307 Loyola Maryland = 41.20 2 - 8

Navy, Boston U, and Lafayette are the biggest positive surprises. American also to some extent, although many expected them to be very good. (Most observers didn't think LC would win three games the entire year.) On the negative side, Bucknell and Army are the underperformers.

The Patriot League, btw, ranks 21st among the 32 conferences.

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
01-02-18 05:06 PM - Post#241777    

After a disappointing showing at American, the women got a good win at Boston this afternoon. Pushed the lead to 7 with a Dumiak 3 with just over a minute to play. Then gave up two 3's to let Boston get within one. Luckily, Slagus and Walker made their FTs down the stretch and they end up with a 5 point win. This is a team they need to beat to have a chance at a top 4 seed in the tournament.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
01-05-18 08:50 PM - Post#242211    

Surprising 24 point blowout over Army at home under 2:00 to play.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-06-18 12:31 PM - Post#242262    

The team has seemingly really turned things around, after a lot of mediocre OOC play. In PL play - against three of the league's top four teams - they have cut the average number of turnovers per game down to 15. Not great, but a lot better than the 20 tpg they averaged in OOC play against somewhat weaker teams.

Other than the turnover improvement, a few positive items include:

- Abby Kapp stepping up her game significantly.
- Maegan Mikkelsen providing solid backup minutes at center.
- Slagus returning to form with back-to-back double doubles after struggling earlier in the season.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-08-18 02:11 PM - Post#242702    

The women thrashed Lafayette today 83-53. LC had been 2-1 in PL play. Bison hit a record 14 threes on only 25 attempts, and they also outrebounded LC 43-26. Had 17 offensive rebounds, a tremendous 53% of available offensive boards.

Slagus continued her run of improved play wih 18 points in 24 minutes. And three first year players hit double figures: Abby Kapp with 15, Ellie Mack 13, and Ally Johnson 13. Mack also had 8 boards in 19 minutes. Cat Romaine didn't score much, but she played strong defense against LC's star Natalie Kucowski.

DoCtoR62
Masters Student
Posts 463
01-08-18 03:36 PM - Post#242718    

Attendance for the 11am tip off was over 1,600, most of whom were youth who were there as part of "education day." With wintry weather in the Lehigh Valley, it's possible this morning's game will outdraw the 5 PL men's games this evening.
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
01-08-18 11:18 PM - Post#242782    

Definitely outdrew the men's crowd at Lafayette. maybe there were 500 warm bodies at Kirby.

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-09-18 01:17 AM - Post#242790    

Here is video of all 14 three-pointers:

https://twitter.com/Bucknell_WBB/status/9 504734818...

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-19-18 06:44 PM - Post#244064    

Bison women practiced today at Gampel Pavilion, home of the perennial #1 UConn Huskies women, en route to Worcester. Need to play a lot better than they did Wednesday, when they lost to a very mediocre Loyola team.

https://twitter.com/Bucknell_WBB/status/9 544713480...

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
01-19-18 07:20 PM - Post#244067    

They continue to have these games periodically where they sleepwalk through most of the game - careless turnovers and passive defense. You could hear the frustration in Roussel's voice in the post-game video. They're very capable of being in the top 2-3 in the league, but can't keep losing games to weaker teams. HC is playing much better and will be tough to beat on their home floor if the effort isn't 100%. They seem to be missing the energy that last year's seniors brought game in and game out.
HoleinOne
Masters Student
Posts 596
01-20-18 11:39 AM - Post#244109    

Curious what Bucknell women attendance is. I find the past few years we have had entertaining teams but wonder how this is translating into filled seats.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
01-20-18 12:14 PM - Post#244114    

Home attendance is typically 500-800, sometimes up to 1000. The PL playoffs drew 1200-1300 (with no students on campus). Better than some PL men's teams, but less than it should be for the quality of the team.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
01-20-18 04:52 PM - Post#244198    

Women get a dominant win over a good HC team on the road 71-47. Definitely shows what they're capable of. If they can play that way consistently, they can compete with anyone in the league.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
01-24-18 10:39 PM - Post#244579    

Big win over Navy tonight to pull into a tie for 2nd. Wasn't pretty, but they don't give style points. Loyola helped us by beating Lehigh on a last second 3. American is now 3 games up at 9-0.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
01-24-18 11:24 PM - Post#244586    

Definitely wasn't pretty. Bison had 20 turnovers - including 4 in the first 5 minutes and 9 in the third quarter. But the game was won due to: (A) outrebounding Navy 44-31, and (B) Navy's two three-point specialists (Dunham and Fenske) hitting 1-15 on threes. Before this game, they were both in the league's top three.

AU is probably uncatchable, but 2nd or 3rd would assure the team a first-round tournament home game and a neutral site second round game.

jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
01-25-18 08:29 AM - Post#244591    

I thought the defense was tough overall. Except for the 3rd quarter, they didn't give them many open looks. The offense was inconsistent, which has been all too typical of this season. We missed a lot of open 3's I'd normal expect us to make.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
01-25-18 03:03 PM - Post#244655    

• Bison137 Said:
AU is probably uncatchable, but 2nd or 3rd would assure the team a first-round tournament home game and a neutral site second round game.

It looks like the PL has done away with the Semis & Finals at a single site. They have gone to the same format as the men with all games at the higher seed. Also, moved the semis from Friday to Thursday, with final still on Sunday. 2nd place becomes more meaningful now.
http://patriotleague.org/tournaments/?id=247
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
01-27-18 12:35 PM - Post#244775    

Bison host Boston this afternoon in a big game. Lehigh plays at Navy, so one of those teams will be 7-3, the other 6-4 at the end of the day. We need a win to keep pace for 2nd place.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
02-02-18 08:42 PM - Post#245654    

The women are back in action after a bye week @ Lafayette Saturday afternoon. Trying hang on to 2nd with Navy (who they beat in their first match up). Crucial game at home vs. Lehigh, who is 1 game back in 4th, on Wednesday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5-8zaLeYAU

American and Navy are ranked in the mid-major top 25 (13th & 22nd iirc) giving some indication how tough the PL has gotten. Pre-season favorite Army is 4-6 and struggling to stay out of the bottom 4.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
02-03-18 03:55 PM - Post#245843    

Women are up 43-23 at the half. They look really sharp. The week off without a game seems to have helped a lot. I think everyone but MK Moore played in the 1st half.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
02-03-18 05:00 PM - Post#245850    

80-57 final, but it wasn't that close. Bison led by 32 before emptying the bench.
BisonRoadWarrior
Professor
Posts 5203
BisonRoadWarrior
02-07-18 11:19 AM - Post#246720    

Bucknell announcement:
"Tonight's Bucknell Women's Basketball game vs. Lehigh is still on as scheduled at 6 p.m. at Sojka Pavilion. Because of the wintry weather, we will have FREE ADMISSION!"
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
02-07-18 09:40 PM - Post#246848    

The women's team struggled on offense tonight, but Lehigh was somehow worse missing 16 of their 1st 17 shots. Got as close as 4 in the 3rd Q, but the Bucknell defense stepped up and they made enough shots and FTs for the win 59-52. Up 2 games on Lehigh. Looks like they will remain tied with Navy for 2nd.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
02-14-18 10:44 PM - Post#247892    

Great come from behind win tonight @ Loyola. They always seem to give us trouble. After being down 14 at halftime, came back to win by 5. Big game next Wed in Annapolis could decide 2nd place and home court for the semis (if we get there).
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
02-21-18 10:32 PM - Post#248855    

Big win tonight in Annapolis. Bucknell would need to lose their last 2 (American, @Army) and Navy win both (Loyola, American). Beating American at home would be a big morale boost heading into the tournament.
bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
02-26-18 11:54 AM - Post#249577    

Just a comment about the women. Not taking anything away from Nathan Davis, but Coach Aaron Roussell May be the best basketball coach currently employed in Lewisburg. ND points out that he has had the good fortune to come to winning programs with good personnel in place. In that regard he is fortunate, and to his credit he has to date built on the winning traditions of both Randolph Macon and Bucknell. Coach Roussell otoh, had no such good fortune. While I think the personnel that he inherited were certainly better than their record indicated, he certainly did not take over a team with a winning tradition, but he changed that fast.

On Saturday his Bison took down previously undefeated (in PL play) AU, and they are a legitimate contender for the Tourney Championship. On tv the crowd appeared to be of decent size, but definitely lacking students. The box score had it at 900, and while I was hoping for more, it seems like a lot of locals have discovered this wonderful team, even if the students have not.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
02-26-18 12:30 PM - Post#249584    

Just imagine this team if Jacquie Klotz had stayed.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
02-28-18 07:59 PM - Post#249939    

Women have a tough final game at Army tonight to finish the regular season. Army has won 4 straight and 7 of their last 9 after starting 2-6 in league play. Army was picked as co-favorite (with Bucknell) to win the league. They're finally starting to play up to their potential. Luckily they're in American's side of the bracket.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
02-28-18 08:19 PM - Post#249942    

Not another announcer who thinks Bison is pronounced Bizon.
A Western Bison
Sophomore
Posts 179
02-28-18 08:35 PM - Post#249948    

The North Dakota State effect
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
02-28-18 08:53 PM - Post#249951    

Committed 10 turnovers and gave up 10 offensive rebounds and still lead by 13. Army shooting 25%, Bucknell 61%. Defense has been great the last 10 games.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
02-28-18 09:01 PM - Post#249953    

Holy crap - Navy leads American 48-19 early in the 3rd. I'm starting to like our chances despite the sometimes ugly play.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
02-28-18 11:10 PM - Post#249971    

Slagus had 25 points and 9 rebounds. She will be 1st team All-PL despite having completely lost her long-range shooting stroke. Also Kate Walker and Kyi English deserve 2nd/3rd team recognition. Kat Romaine may get some votes as well for her rebounding and defense. Abby Kapp, despite not starting, should get some votes for All-Rookie team.

Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
03-01-18 10:39 AM - Post#249985    

BTW, Slagus did hit an open three in the final few minutes

bison63
Postdoc
Posts 3857
03-01-18 11:58 AM - Post#250000    

She was pretty much “can’t miss” last night.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
03-01-18 01:48 PM - Post#250025    

• Bison54 Said:
BTW, Slagus did hit an open three in the final few minutes

She hit one in the 1st half as well. Was 8-11 overall, 7-7 from the line (another area where she's struggled at times). Perhaps the best performance of her career. She may see more double teams in the tournament.
Bison54
PhD Student
Posts 1800
Bison54
03-01-18 02:09 PM - Post#250026    

Yes, in addition to her scoring, she seemed to be very focused on the entire game and just kept making play after play on both ends. Played with great intensity and was a super effort. She showed what a force she is to contend with!!

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-02-18 05:23 PM - Post#250213    

• Bison137 Said:
Slagus had 25 points and 9 rebounds. She will be 1st team All-PL despite having completely lost her long-range shooting stroke. Also Kate Walker and Kyi English deserve 2nd/3rd team recognition. Kat Romaine may get some votes as well for her rebounding and defense. Abby Kapp, despite not starting, should get some votes for All-Rookie team.

I had the wrong order for Slagus and Walker, as Walker made 1st team and Slagus 2nd. English, as expected, was 3rd team. Romaine made the all-defense team, and Kapp the all-rookie team.

- - -

2017-18 Women’s Basketball All-Patriot League Team and Major Awards
Player of the Year: Emily Kinneston, American, Sr.
Defensive Player of the Year: Stephanie Karcz, Loyola Maryland, So.
Rookie of the Year: Izzy Therien, Loyola Maryland, Fr.
Coach of the Year: Megan Gebbia, American

First-Team All-Patriot League
Emily Kinneston, American, Sr.
Kate Walker, Bucknell, Jr.
Lauren Manis, Holy Cross, So.
Stephanie Karcz, Loyola Maryland, So.
Taylor Dunham, Navy, Sr.

Second-Team All-Patriot League
Cecily Carl, American, Jr.
Madison Hovren, Army West Point, Jr.
Kaitlyn Slagus, Bucknell, Jr.
Infiniti Thomas-Waheed, Holy Cross, Sr.
Quinci Mann, Lehigh, Sr.

Third-Team All-Patriot League
Maria Liddane, American, Sr.
Nia Irving, Boston U., So.
Kyi English, Bucknell, Jr.
Camryn Buhr, Lehigh, So.
Hannah Fenske, Navy, Sr.

All-Defensive Team
Maria Liddane, American, Sr.
Janae McNeal, Army West Point, Sr.
Catherine Romaine, Bucknell, Sr.
Stephanie Karcz, Loyola Maryland, So.
Kaila Clark, Navy, So.

All-Rookie Team
Katie Nelson, Boston U.
Abby Kapp, Bucknell
Drew Freeland, Lafayette
Natalie Kucowski, Lafayette
Izzy Therien, Loyola Maryland

A Western Bison
Sophomore
Posts 179
03-02-18 05:42 PM - Post#250214    

Losing your touch,137
DoCtoR62
Masters Student
Posts 463
03-02-18 05:58 PM - Post#250215    

• A Western Bison Said:
Losing your touch,137

Or the coaches got it wrong.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
03-02-18 09:12 PM - Post#250251    

• A Western Bison Said:
Losing your touch,137

Slagus has definitely been the star late in the season. But Walker was the better player early in the season. Taken as a whole, it's probably a toss-up. I'd vote for Slagus only because she is peaking at the right time and Walker has regressed.
jkrun80
Postdoc
Posts 3305
03-02-18 09:42 PM - Post#250269    

• DoCtoR62 Said:
  • A Western Bison Said:
Losing your touch,137

Or the coaches got it wrong.

Gebbia is the obvious choice for COY, but Roussell deserves some recognition. American lost their last two regular season games and Bucknell has won their last 11. Over the last three seasons, the Bison are 48-6 in PL play - nearly 90% winning percentage. I don't think even Army during the Minato years was this consistent. (Posted this earlier, but imagine if Jacquie Klotz had stayed.) And he get's everyone but Kat Romaine back next year, plus two top-notch recruits. I hope he loves Lewisburg.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
03-05-18 09:03 PM - Post#251005    

Women take out HC 67-53 in a game that was close until the final couple of minutes. They will likely face Navy on Thursday in Sojka.

Interesting game between Army and Lehigh, which is now in OT.

PLN coverage: https://watchstadium.com/live/patriot-league-q uart...

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
04-27-18 03:21 PM - Post#256048    

Top assistant Mike Lane has reportedly taken the head coaching job at NJIT. That is a very tough job - and two of their last three seasons have produced 4-26 records. Hope it works out well, as he has done a very good job with the Bison.

Roussell had a very strong coaching staff this year, with coaches in place who are capable of moving up the hierarchy. Jeanine Radice was the associate head coach at Delaware for over 15 years before she lost her job when the head coach retired. With Roussell's track record and the track record of his assistants moving up the ladder, I imagine he will have a ton of applicants to choose from for the open position. Two possibilities: (A) Shelby Romine, who was an assistant coach at Chicago for two years and then a graduate assistant at Nebraska the past two; and (B) Lindsey Burke, currently Rochester's #1 assistant, who was the Bison DOBO in 2016-17 and a D3 assistant for three years before that. One caveat is that they were both guards in college, and Lane coached the Bison post players.

DoCtoR62
Masters Student
Posts 463
04-27-18 08:52 PM - Post#256062    

Brittany Pinkney is a natural to take on the lead role with post players.
HoleinOne
Masters Student
Posts 596
04-28-18 06:43 PM - Post#256071    

Very solid group of recruiters on this coaching staff.
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
05-03-18 08:54 PM - Post#256370    

• Bison137 Said:
Top assistant Mike Lane has reportedly taken the head coaching job at NJIT. That is a very tough job - and two of their last three seasons have produced 4-26 records. Hope it works out well, as he has done a very good job with the Bison.

It has now been at least a week since Lane was hired - and Bucknell has been running an ad for his replacement since Monday. But NJIT has yet to announce the hire. No press conference, no press release, no article, no tweet, no coach shown on the website, etc. That sort of neglect is symptomatic of why the NJIT athletic program is so third rate, and why it is a hard place to build a winning program.

KenZ
Postdoc
Posts 2777
KenZ
05-03-18 10:30 PM - Post#256374    

can you deduce from our job posting whether we have promoted other assistant or not?
Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
05-03-18 10:42 PM - Post#256375    

• KenZ Said:
can you deduce from our job posting whether we have promoted other assistant or not?

Can't really tell. They may well leave both avenues open - but if Radice looks like she will stay for a while, then I could see her moving into the top assistant spot.

Here is the posting: http://jobs.bucknell.edu/cw/en-us/job/496028/a ssis...

Bison137
Professor
Posts 16147
Bison137
05-21-18 09:15 PM - Post#257085    

NJIT has finally issued a press release about Mike Lane's hiring. Incredibly it took them at least 24 days to acknowledge that he is their new coach. NJIT has a reputation as a third rate athletic program and this inept rollout of his new job is further confirmation. I hope Mike does well, but this will be a really tough job.

https://www.njithighlanders.com/news/2018/5/20/mik...

- - - - -

Btw, I discovered that my original post about Lane's new job had some incorrect info about Shelby Romine. I had thought she worked at Nebraska through this season, but it turns out she finished her MBA at the end of summer and now works for a wealth management company in Philly. That could mean a career path that does not include coaching - although it might have been difficult to find a decent coaching job in September, when all jobs have usually been filled.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.426 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:56 AM