Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Inquirer Article on the Game
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-06-18 11:22 PM - Post#242518    

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/college s/penn_...
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3584
01-06-18 11:52 PM - Post#242524    

Penn placed all five starters in double figures. Ryan Betley scored 19 points in the first half and finished with 21 after taking just two shots after halftime. Woods added 13, Brodeur 12 and Foreman 11.

“I think that’s the strength of our team,” Penn coach Steve Donahue said. “Who are we going to go to? I’m a big analytics guy. Nobody on our team has more than a 22 percent usage rate at the end of a possession. It’s not one guy having 35 or 40. I think that’s a good thing.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12530
01-07-18 12:28 AM - Post#242529    

Expand that link and you'll see we're listed under Penn St. Either way it was a nice game piece.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
01-07-18 01:08 AM - Post#242534    

We also had more assists than Princeton, which held true to the season form. That has not happened often in this rivalry.
JDP
Masters Student
Posts 575
01-07-18 10:54 AM - Post#242550    

I am sure Joe did not file the piece under Penn State ... he is too good of a reporter!
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3584
01-07-18 11:25 AM - Post#242558    

The Trentonian article:

http://www.trentonian.com/article/TT/20180106/S POR...

Rothschild, in particular, defended Stephens brilliantly. The Tigers’ junior forward had a few huge games on the 4-1 west coast trip, including a 30-point, 9-rebound effort in an upset over USC, and although he was 5-for-10 from the field, he only attempted one free throw.

“He’s a tough matchup — a great player, all-Ivy player,” Rothschild said. “I respect him and his ability, but coach gave me the assignment and that’s something I embraced. Whatever he tells me to do, I’ll do it to the best of my ability.”
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12530
01-07-18 11:31 AM - Post#242559    

When it comes to comparing the two seasons and expectations leading into this one, there is no doubt that Max is the biggest reason we are in our current position. Some folks said it was coming based on what was being seen at practice, and they were right. He took the leap.
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8220
Streamers
01-07-18 11:53 AM - Post#242564    

Yeah, Max had a big day no question, especially some of his assists. What encourages me most is that this team is mentally tough. When things get shaky down the stretch, the leaders (Foreman, Woods, Betley) take over and show the way. I also love Max's enthusiasm, even when they do the Red & Blue line after the game. He loves to stir the crowd.

Now, about the FTs (even Betley missed 2 late)
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3584
01-07-18 11:56 AM - Post#242565    

And some on here said he was a placeholder for Jarrod (JMVerkin wrote as much in his season preview). It’s been clear to me since his freshman year that he has game. I understand why SD used him as a role player last year but with the added depth it’s been great to see the development.

I also should point out the productivity of Antonio. I don’t want to ignite the debate but he has settled into a productive role on this team and his contributions down the stretch last night were huge.

Overall this team is a great lesson in how roles fit together to form a team. The coaches have a done a great job fitting the talent and the system to make it work. They may not win the IL title on talent but they may win it with teamwork.
Silver Maple
Postdoc
Posts 3770
01-07-18 12:11 PM - Post#242572    

When I look at the play this season of Rothschild, Woods and Betley (and maybe some others), it strongly suggests to me that the coaching staff is demonstrating a clear ability to develop players. This is a welcome change, and one that makes me optimistic for the future.
Silver Maple
Postdoc
Posts 3770
01-07-18 12:13 PM - Post#242573    

• PennFan10 Said:

Overall this team is a great lesson in how roles fit together to form a team. The coaches have a done a great job fitting the talent and the system to make it work. They may not win the IL title on talent but they may win it with teamwork.

I'll take that. Particularly in light of the fact that Penn may never be able to recruit as many high profile players as HYP.
TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
01-07-18 12:16 PM - Post#242575    

• PennFan10 Said:
AI also should point out the productivity of Antonio. I don’t want to ignite the debate but he has settled into a productive role on this team and his contributions down the stretch last night were huge.

There shouldn't be any debate. He has been far more than could be expected. And not because of his athleticism but because of his intelligence. He's a smart player who doesn't make many unforced mistakes. Very fun to watch.

Silver Maple
Postdoc
Posts 3770
01-07-18 12:19 PM - Post#242578    

He also knows how to use his bulk and strength to power to success in situations in which a weaker player might fail.

There's also the ink factor.
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1896
01-07-18 12:22 PM - Post#242580    

We don't have any player who can reliably close out a game with handles, finishes, and free throw shooting - but somehow we get just enough from many players to pull it off. Antonio is one who seems to keep his confidence at the end, even though I shudder when he shoots FTs. We have had contributions from many different players in those crunch moments. Teamwork.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
01-07-18 01:03 PM - Post#242590    

I can't help but think back to the 1994 Bulls. IMHO, it was Phil Jackson's finest moment in coaching. The teamwork on both offense and defense was quite remarkable, especially after losing the best player in the game before the season began.

They didn't make it all the way (no, we've already discussed that phantom foul on Pippen over the years, not going there again) but it was the best Bulls TEAM as a team (other than some of the gritty Bulls squads in the 1970s under Dick Motta). The whole was far greater than the sum of the individual parts.

Frankly, most good Penn teams over the years have relied on the individual brilliance of certain players. I'm not sure how far this particular squad will go, but it relies far more on group cohesion than individualistic exploits.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6404
01-07-18 09:14 PM - Post#242616    

Agreed we don't have a guy who just totally controls it at the end the way, say, Rosen could. However, with Woods we are more or less playing 2 PGs. Having him out there gives us options and takes burden off Darnell. Obviously it would be better if we could nail the free throws, but there are a lot of good things we do with the current rotation, and we seem to finally be at a point where our strengths outweigh our weaknesses. That's true even in the end game.

On the rotation/coaching generally the most impressive thing may be the buy in. AJ could be sitting around saying I'd be scoring 17 a night if they kept me inside where I was last year. Sam Jones could be sulking on the bench when he plays a good stretch of games, and then gets no time in the biggest game of the year so far. Matt MacDonald and Jake Silpe could be sulking about similar stuff. Instead, the guys are buying into their roles, recognizing the value everybody brings, and supporting each other and having fun on the bench. It helps you to believe when you see the results, of course, but there is a lot of faith and buy in that has to come before you start to see the results.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.363 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:51 AM