Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: all that happened
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-08-18 10:14 AM - Post#242655    

is we beat the number 130 team... at home... by a few points. KenPom moved us up, what, three spots?

All this stuff about "the difference between this year and last year". It's enough already.

The difference between this year and last year is that Princeton is a demonstrably worse team.

Let's keep at it, see where we are the rest of the year. But right now Penn is actually performing worse than I predicted (120-130) by pomeroy.
TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
01-08-18 10:23 AM - Post#242656    

So we're no better but Princeton sucks?

Interesting take.

Cue board meltdown in 5...4...3...2...1...

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-08-18 10:26 AM - Post#242657    

Yeah, who cares about the record --after 15 last year, we were 6-9 and 0-3 in the Ivies. As long as KenPom says we are 148 and Princeton is 129, they are better than we are and we suck.

But a totally predictable post.
10Q
Professor
Posts 23360
01-08-18 10:27 AM - Post#242659    

Ah, the nattering nabob of negativism. Thanks Jeff for keeping us from getting too carried away. MUST REMAIN DEPRESSED.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-08-18 10:34 AM - Post#242661    

I'll give him credit--he is consistent. He said this pre-season:

" I will say this, what's more important, as is ultimately where you think they finish in Pomeroy or some other staty-typed model. Records can vary, but Pom is where it's at. So I'll say somewhere between 120-130."

Of course, most of us disagreed with his view, but it is his opinion. And in his opinion, underperforming in KenPom is more important than having a much better record and playing much better as a team on both ends. Of course, in his prior statement, he acknowledged not knowing or caring much about Penn's non-Big 5 opponents, which are the reason for its KenPom standing. Hard to say you don't care about the teams they are playing but do care about the ranking.
T.P.F.K.A.D.W.
PhD Student
Posts 1171
01-08-18 10:35 AM - Post#242662    

• Jeff2sf Said:
is we beat the number 130 team... at home... by a few points. KenPom moved us up, what, three spots?

All this stuff about "the difference between this year and last year". It's enough already.

The difference between this year and last year is that Princeton is a demonstrably worse team.

Let's keep at it, see where we are the rest of the year. But right now Penn is actually performing worse than I predicted (120-130) by pomeroy.

Lighten up, Francis. We just beat Princeton.
10Q
Professor
Posts 23360
01-08-18 10:40 AM - Post#242665    

Happiness is overrated.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
01-08-18 11:13 AM - Post#242666    

• T.P.F.K.A.D.W. Said:

Lighten up, Francis. We just beat Princeton.

Any of you guys call me Francis....and I'll kill you.

Psycho

Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-08-18 11:27 AM - Post#242669    

the funny thing is i had the Francis quote going through my head about you all.

The non conference record is B E Y O N D meaningless. What a stupid, luddite take. Look who we played!

Fairfield - 212 KenPom. On the road. Not exactly a good loss and I'm sure I didn't predict we'd lose that one.
LaSalle, 134. at home. Not a great loss, but essentially Princeton. You win some, you lose some.
Navy at home. KenPom 215 21 point win. Good-ish but easily expected win.
Penn St Brandywine. Come the f on.
Northern Illinois. 238. Neutral court. We won. V Predictable.
Towson. 110. Neutral court. We lost. Kind of a win some, lose some sort of game.
UMKC - 278. Neutral court eke out a 3 point win. Terrible. Predictable win
Friggin Monmouth - 163. Away. 5 point win that took years off my life. That said, in the win some lose some category.
Villanova - 1. Loss. Totally fine to get drilled by 28 points to them. they're great. predictable loss
Howard - 336 on the road. We won. of course predictable.
Lafayette - 272 on the road. we won, of course predictable
Dayton - 141 on the road. We won. I'd call that a toss up game and nice win.
Del St. 3 5 0. Second to last. At home. Of course we were going to win that. A pox on all of our houses.
Toledo - 156 at home. Toss up game. If Dayton's a good win, feel this is a bad loss. But again, win some, lose some.
Princeton - 130 at home. Toss up game, we won, cool!

So going into the season, we had 5 certain victories in Del State, Penn Brandywine, UKMC (well we didn't know we'd get to play them till we lost to Towson) Lafayette, and Howard. I'm sure only an genius would disagree with that.

We had one guaranteed loss in Villanova. So 5-1 with a baby being able to predict that.

Then we have three victories that should have occurred with sub 200 teams in Fairfield, Navy and Northern Illinois... only we actually dropped one game. So we should be 8-1 and we're 7-2.

So what's left
LaSalle Towson Toledo (losses)
Dayton, Princeton, Monmouth (wins)

My thought going in was to predict wins for Monmouth, Toledo. Losses for Dayton and Towson, and then we'd split Princeton, LaSalle.

I mean there's really no way to conclude we wouldn't be 10-5 if we're thinking we're at least KenPom 150. For those of you who think we're actually better than that, you'd probably get us to 11-4.

This schedule is so. fricking. easy.

Ok fine, I'll look at last year's schedule.

Robert Morris - 266. We win, predictable.
Miami - 42 and away, we lose, predictable.
Central Conn - 341. We win. predictable
Navy - 206. Away. We lose. Kind of like Fairfield game.
Nova - 2. We lose, guaranteed.
Temple - 118. we lose. toss up game.
Lafayette 330. We win. duh
George Mason 123. We lost. toss up game.
UCF - 68. Road. We win. Best win of either year so far.
Drexel - 250. We win. Pretty much a def win.
Fairfield 204 - We win. probably should, especially at home
At Princeton - 58. We lose. to be expected.

So looking at that schedule, we had 4 definite wins instead of 5 this year. we had 4 expected losses in UCF, Miami, Princeton (all on road) and Villanova but we actually won one of them. We went 1-1 in our 200-249 games. And we had two toss up games which we lost both.
You'd have predicted the same record as what they got except you'd have expected to win a toss up (maybe) and lost the UCF game.

I mean jeez louise. there's no here here.

TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
01-08-18 11:32 AM - Post#242670    

Post-game Jeff commentary = During game Chip commentary.

Discuss.

Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-08-18 11:37 AM - Post#242672    

stop, dude. you're better than this. I was genuinely happy with the win and will not be insulted to say I'm rooting against or anything like that. If you can't argue facts, then just stay away from this one.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-08-18 11:44 AM - Post#242674    

You are strategically leaving out the Yale/Brown home losses. Sure, we could have won or lost a bunch of those games last year, but we lost 9 of them. And the one "big" one we won--UCF--had them without their best player.

All you have to do is see the ball movement on this team and the improved assist-turnover ratio as well as the improved defense to know that this is a continuation of the improvement we saw from the middle of last season.
TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
01-08-18 11:45 AM - Post#242675    

You've neglected a bunch of stuff. Like's Penn's KP improvement from last year isn't exactly insignificant and Princeton doesn't exactly suck (their KP ranking is depressed due to a poor start, otherwise they are performing well, have the likely favorite for POY, and favorite for ROY). Oh, and we last beat Princeton 4 years ago.

Nevertheless, response to the win has been muted and not over the top. There's more work to do for sure.

Yet you decide to poop on it anyway.

Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-08-18 11:57 AM - Post#242678    

TheLine, sorry if that wasn't clear, yes, moving from 171 to 148 is an improvement. Not as much as I expected but clearly an improvement. But to just say "we're 9-6 vs. 6-9" removing all context to the actual schedule is dumb. But I've come to expect that from the "I watch the games" crowd.

Treating Princeton's quality as a constant is what I'm railing against. There are too many "the difference from last year" things. And to ignore their fall from 58 to 130 seems like you're ignoring the emperor had no clothes.
TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
01-08-18 11:59 AM - Post#242679    

You want numbers I think are significant?

This year Penn is ranked 156th in rebounding. Last year Penn was 334th.

3FG%? 147th v. 232nd.

Assists? 100th v. 246th.

Defensive 3FG%? 43rd v. 240th. You say that doesn't matter because the D can only control attempts? Penn is 42nd at denying attempts.

It's hard to argue that improvements over last year are insignificant.

No one's arguing the work is over.

Silver Maple
Postdoc
Posts 3770
01-08-18 12:01 PM - Post#242680    

The question being debated here is this: are you what your record says you are (thank you Mr. Parcells) or are you what advanced statistical analysis says you are?

Penn's record has it tops in the league right now, and you can't say that's meaningless. When Donahue's boys lace up their sneakers, they're intention is not to get their KenPom rating up, it's to win the game. When we, as fans, watch the game, we have the same goal-- to win. I doubt many of us felt good about our KenPom ranking improving after losing to Lasalle (it did, right?). At the end of the season, the Ivy title and NCAA bid will go to the team(s) that had the best 14-game record and won the tournament respectively, not the ones with the highest KP rating.

OTOH, we also do place high importance on statistical analysis. So what's the purpose of that analysis? Not to tell you what happened, but to give some insight into why things seem to be happening the way they are, and to suggest what the future might look like.

This is a long-winded way of saying that, if your burger tastes great, then it IS great, at least for now. Tomorrow we might be eating scrapple.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-08-18 12:01 PM - Post#242681    

10-5.

And yes, you do have to watch the games to understand what is going on. And yes, Princeton is worse (not everyone expected that, but they lost 2 really good players in Weisz and Cook).

I give you credit for being consistent though. No, the games themselves don't matter.
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-08-18 12:02 PM - Post#242682    

Glad to see you jumping in to all of Stu's posts where he's breaking down the numbers.

Why are we only 149th then? If everything's improving 100+ spots, maybe not all of that matters. We improved 20 spots bud, that's all.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-08-18 12:04 PM - Post#242683    

Were we 170 or so at this time last year? Don't think so.
Silver Maple
Postdoc
Posts 3770
01-08-18 12:09 PM - Post#242684    

Remember-- all these ranking numbers are the product of modeling. Anybody remember what George Box said about models? Or Howard Skipper?
yoyo
Senior
Posts 363
01-08-18 12:14 PM - Post#242688    

I don't think jeff goes to the games.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
01-08-18 12:17 PM - Post#242689    

Jeff, you're correct in that our OOC schedule has not been good and many of our wins have come against less than superb opponents.

We know this. And yet, we need to take stock and realize that, for far too long, we couldn't even win a decent share of these games.

Now we are winning many of them. And showing a lot of fight in the process.

Heck, even in the one blowout loss we had ('Nova) we really didn't look all that bad if you were watching the actual game. 'Nova is simply one of the best teams in the country.

We're not a great team by any stretch. But I doubt we get blown out too much this year, which has been de rigeur for the better part of the last decade.
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-08-18 12:19 PM - Post#242690    

according to mr. upia, Penn was 150 going into the Princeton game last year. Basically exactly where we are this year!

When we do not crap the bed against a terrible Cornell or Columbia team this year, I'll concede we're further ahead.

But, and this isn't meant to be argumentative, does anyone understand what the hell happened last year when we went 0-6 in ivies? We lost to Dartmouth and Brown coming off losses when we couldn't possibly have been looking past the games. It was like temporary insanity.
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-08-18 12:20 PM - Post#242691    

sorry, link http://boards.basketball-u.com/showtopic.php?tid/1...
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-08-18 12:23 PM - Post#242692    

but PN, what I'm saying is that essentially last year's non conf schedule performance was qualitatively the same as this year's we just played a worse schedule so it looked better this year. So all this "things are different this year" don't hold up to the NON CONFERENCE.

Of course we have a better non-conf record than last year. We're playing an easier schedule. I can't explain the Brown loss at home though or the Dartmouth game on the road. Assuming we don't throw up those games this year, we'll be better.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3584
01-08-18 12:27 PM - Post#242693    

issues like 0-6 followed by 6-2 are complex and there are many variables. One thing I have noted, though can't statistically corroborate, is the rotations.

Last year during 0-6 we played muliple starting lineups and several players would play a lot followed by not at all. SD was toying with his lineup and the guys didn't seem comfortable in their roles.

This year (and in the last half of last year) he has had the same starting lineup and has used the same bench guys the same way with few exceptions (e.g. we had a Dev sighting on Saturday and a Silpe sighting vs Toledo). The consistency gives players a level of confidence in what to expect and how to perform. Jarrod knows he is going in and can be aggressive for the minutes he plays. Sam Jones knows he is supposed to catch and shoot. Even Darnell and Max know the coach trusts them and will have them in there at the end so they seem to play more freely.

Sometimes players get tight when they don't know what to expect. Its not explicitly quantifiable yet it seems to be a factor.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3584
01-08-18 12:29 PM - Post#242694    

I also think if we don't win both games this weekend, which will be a significant challenge as we are a hot shooting opponent away from an L (see Toledo), then the Princeton win doesn't mean anything.
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-08-18 12:40 PM - Post#242695    

• PennFan10 Said:
issues like 0-6 followed by 6-2 are complex and there are many variables. One thing I have noted, though can't statistically corroborate, is the rotations.

Last year during 0-6 we played muliple starting lineups and several players would play a lot followed by not at all. SD was toying with his lineup and the guys didn't seem comfortable in their roles.

This year (and in the last half of last year) he has had the same starting lineup and has used the same bench guys the same way with few exceptions (e.g. we had a Dev sighting on Saturday and a Silpe sighting vs Toledo). The consistency gives players a level of confidence in what to expect and how to perform. Jarrod knows he is going in and can be aggressive for the minutes he plays. Sam Jones knows he is supposed to catch and shoot. Even Darnell and Max know the coach trusts them and will have them in there at the end so they seem to play more freely.

Sometimes players get tight when they don't know what to expect. Its not explicitly quantifiable yet it seems to be a factor.

that could be it, sure. But he did that throughout the non conf last year too and we didn't play like the Little Sisters of the Poor.
TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
01-08-18 12:43 PM - Post#242696    

• Jeff2sf Said:
Glad to see you jumping in to all of Stu's posts where he's breaking down the numbers.

Why are we only 149th then? If everything's improving 100+ spots, maybe not all of that matters. We improved 20 spots bud, that's all.

I read all of Stu's posts. They are informative. And it does make sense that rebounding has been a big factor in the team's improvement.

Last year's team was better at suppressing 2FGs. I haven't studied the mathhoops numbers enough to be able to draw strong conclusions why. My observational guess is that it's due to the change in the defensive schema and that it's a worthwhile tradeoff. FT% and blocks rates are also down this year.

Bottom line - Penn is shooting better from outside, defending the outside shot better, and rebounding better. And the team continues to have a low TO rate. All good trends.

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
01-08-18 12:51 PM - Post#242698    

• TheLine Said:

Bottom line - Penn is shooting better from outside, defending the outside shot better, and rebounding better. And the team continues to have a low TO rate. All good trends.

And passing much better as well.

Okoro Dude
Senior
Posts 309
01-08-18 02:00 PM - Post#242701    

We also generate fewer turnovers on defense and there are other countervailing trends that lead to the improvement being somewhat modest at 20-30 spots in statistical rankings. Our schedule is the largest reason for 10-5 vs. 6-9.

That said, the league did not perform well in the non-conference and lack of schedule strength could continue to be a big factor in our favor. We are currently forecast to be 20-10 (10-4) even with our only modest improvement in our statistical rankings. It is what it is unless one or more of the teams shows something they haven't yet.

If there was a year for a team outside the top 100 to win the tourney berth - this could be it. Particularly playing in home gym for Ivy Tourney. I think Jeff is largely right, but I am still happy for the win and excited by the opportunity to potentially win league which looked unlikely before season started.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-08-18 02:15 PM - Post#242703    

We still are winning games that we lost over the last 3 or 4 years. It was pretty apparent that Princeton would lose quite a bit this year (although many here still thought they were the team to beat), that Harvard was young and unproven and (by the time the season started) Yale had crushing injuries. So it was necessary to go off of last year's metrics to predict how this season was likely to go....especially since Penn was a team of 2 seasons last year and was likely to be more of the team of the second half than the first (unless you were of the opinion that substituting Woods for Howard would make us a much worse team, as a few did). I don't put much stock in comparing a Pom number from last year to this year as they reflect different teams and different matchups. The improvement in objective metrics is pretty apparent, as noted above. And the competition is down. So we did and do have a real chance to compete for a title this year.
TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
01-08-18 02:24 PM - Post#242704    

Our non-conference strength of schedule so far (there are still games against Temple and St Joe's) vs. last year.

Last year : +0.20
This year : - 2.67
Net difference : -2.87
Meaning our opponents this year are 2.87 points worse than last year.

I can't find - or don't have access to - what our performance was in non-conference games only. For the whole year :

Last year : -.20
This year : +2.40
Net difference : +2.60
Meaning Penn is performing 2.60 points better than last year. KP numbers are normalized to account for SOS so this is real improvement and not SOS tainted.

Meaning a little more than half of the "improvement" is due to a weaker schedule and the rest is from the team playing better. Unless I'm not understanding the numbers correctly.

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
01-08-18 02:43 PM - Post#242705    

• palestra38 Said:
We still are winning games that we lost over the last 3 or 4 years. It was pretty apparent that Princeton would lose quite a bit this year (although many here still thought they were the team to beat).

Still do. At least I do.

Okoro Dude
Senior
Posts 309
01-08-18 02:47 PM - Post#242706    

Anything looks good in the context of the last decade which is clearly the worst in the history of the program. Personally, I will be more excited when they are clearly a top 75 (or at least top 100) team again as they were in probably half of Dunphy's tenure as that is what will be required to consistently compete for the title in this league. That said, I have season tickets and go to almost every game as I have for 24 years now and I am happy to see the incremental improvement this year and hope that the trend continues.

This narrative of two seasons within one last year is a flat out fiction, however. They had one tremendous road weekend at Brown and Yale that was an outlier and the rest of the season was incredibly consistent with their season-long ranking with predictable highs and lows sprinkled throughout.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
01-08-18 02:49 PM - Post#242707    

Hard to tell how this will pan out. While the league underperformed OOC, it seems to me that some IL teams chose to have challenging schedules.

I do not know how that compares to previous years, and clearly we don't know for sure until the end of all of the conference tourneys, but ultimately some IL team rankings could improve aside from winning conference games.

• Okoro Dude Said:
We also generate fewer turnovers on defense and there are other countervailing trends that lead to the improvement being somewhat modest at 20-30 spots in statistical rankings. Our schedule is the largest reason for 10-5 vs. 6-9.

That said, the league did not perform well in the non-conference and lack of schedule strength could continue to be a big factor in our favor. We are currently forecast to be 20-10 (10-4) even with our only modest improvement in our statistical rankings. It is what it is unless one or more of the teams shows something they haven't yet.

If there was a year for a team outside the top 100 to win the tourney berth - this could be it. Particularly playing in home gym for Ivy Tourney. I think Jeff is largely right, but I am still happy for the win and excited by the opportunity to potentially win league which looked unlikely before season started.

Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1896
01-08-18 02:58 PM - Post#242709    

• Jeff2sf Said:

Also missing the fact that the 20 spots isn't from an influx of new talent. It is organic improvement. Antonio Woods is the main new contributor vs. the loss of Howard. It's hard to argue that is a talent upgrade. Woods has played well enough, despite your arguments that he had little hope. Our Freshman have been decent, but can hardly be given credit for the jump as their PT has been limited.

These types of seasons are the ones that rebuild programs. Unlike the pros where bad seasons mean worse draft picks, winning seasons in college help programs to recruit better players. The gushing isn't really about how awesome our team has become. It says more about our optimism that this is a turning point for the program.
TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
01-08-18 02:58 PM - Post#242710    

I absolutely am with you that the goal is to be Top 75 and with regular dance invites.

It's also possible to view this year as being a good step in the right direction so far - continued improved play, better defensive scheme because we have players good enough to play it, seamless integration of Antonio and Max into the starting lineup, promising performances by Simmons and Scott (before injury).

While lots more has to happen before we can feel satisfied that the job is done, can it also be OK to feel good about the Princeton victory and have to not go into negative nelly mode? It's not like the team lucked into a victory and I doubt Princeton is going to fade in league play.

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-08-18 03:05 PM - Post#242711    

You're basing that opinion on the skewed results of the non-conference schedule. We stunk---and we beat UCF in an outlier game without their best player. Second half we settled into a regular rotation, and not only beat Brown and Yale on the road, but beat Harvard, LaSalle on the road and went on a streak where after the Princeton home game, we won 6 of 8 and didn't lose another game by more than 3 or in OT. It was qualitatively better by a lot, as prior to that time, most of our losses were by a lot. You cannot look at things simply in black and white (were we favorites and did we win). We played much better the second half, and put a scare into a very very good Princeton team in the playoff. Given that our loss (Howard) enables us to play 2 bigs and 2 solid guards with Betley, we are both situationally and athletically better this year.

And unlike prior teams since Dunphy, this team is well coached and takes to the coaching.
TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
01-08-18 03:13 PM - Post#242713    

The numbers say we're 2-3 points better. Which jibes with what I see.

I have a feeling that if this team wins the conference then some will point to Penn being back and some will point to this being a relatively down year for the league. Both are kind of right, though I think the latter would severely understate the accomplishment.

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
01-08-18 03:20 PM - Post#242714    

• TheLine Said:

I have a feeling that if this team wins the conference then some will point to Penn being back and some will point to this being a relatively down year for the league. Both are kind of right, though I think the latter would severely understate the accomplishment.

Disagree. No-one picked Penn to come in 1st this year. If they do (I personally still don't think they'll be the #1 seed, but no matter), I don't care if the league is having a down year--still an incredible accomplishment.

10Q
Professor
Posts 23360
01-08-18 03:31 PM - Post#242716    

Excuse me sir. I picked Penn to go 14-0. Remember?
TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
01-08-18 03:34 PM - Post#242717    

But 10Q, we know you won't bitch about the one loss if Penn goes 13-1 and wins the conference.

Okoro Dude
Senior
Posts 309
01-08-18 03:46 PM - Post#242719    

1. The LaSalle game came right in the middle of a nearly-disastrous stretch of 7 losses including the 0-6 league start, so you don't get to include that in the amazing 2nd half of season you are looking for.

2. Penn was 6-5 and 146 in the rankings going into the first Princeton game. Ignoring the C. Florida game you dismiss because it doesn't suit your narrative, Penn would still have been 5-5 and ranked near its season ending rank of 171.

3. In the glorious 6-2 stretch to end the season they played 4 weekends:
1 - Sweep Cornell and Columbia at home (you have to agree that a team ranked 171 should sweep these two bad teams at home - a split would be below expectations)
2- Sweep Brown and Yale on road by big margins (played like top 75 team for a weekend)
3- Split Cornell and Columbia on road (no better than what you expect from a team ranked 171)
4 - Split Dartmouth and Harvard at home (no better than what you expect from a team ranked 171)

One hot road weekend is all you have for your narrative.

SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6404
01-08-18 03:46 PM - Post#242720    

We had about the same rank OOC last year that we have this year. We plunged during the first 6 games of the conference season, then more or less righted the ship over the last 8. But our Kenpom rank for even the last 8 games wasn’t better than our OOC rating.

Point is — Okuro Dude and P38 are both wrong. We weren’t linear last year, and we didn’t improve over the season as a whole (though we did if you only look at the conference season, and you break it up just right).

Jeff is wrong too — we are higher in kenpom right now than we were overall last year. So we are better. And the guys we were trying to catch are worse. I don’t see why we can’t be happy with that.

yoyo
Senior
Posts 363
01-08-18 03:52 PM - Post#242721    

I am happy
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-08-18 03:54 PM - Post#242722    

It's all an attempt to justify a narrative. They predicted a 4th place finish at best so are trying to spin the decline of the league (partially true) rather than the improvement of Penn over their expectations.
TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
01-08-18 04:13 PM - Post#242723    

What gets lost in this thread is that Princeton is still probably the favorite to win the league. And we beat them. And it sure didn't look like a fluke win.

But that was buried in the lede.

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-08-18 04:25 PM - Post#242724    

I don't think so. Their guards are really good---upperclassmen who are superior players. But their front line is shallow and I don't think they can stand up to the onslaught that is coming at them in the middle from teams watching the tape of the Penn game. But they'll make the playoff, which is all that matters

TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
01-08-18 04:28 PM - Post#242725    

Who do you think is the favorite? All the teams have flaws. And it's a coaches league now, they all scout well.

Okoro Dude
Senior
Posts 309
01-08-18 04:29 PM - Post#242726    

Please, P38, show me all the years where a team ranked 149 wins the league (hint: never). Over the last 8 years, a team ranked 149 would have been either the 3rd or 4th best team in the league in every season. So, yes, if they win the league at their current statistical ranking of 149, it will almost certainly have been because the competition was down. There is nothing wrong with that, in fact I would love it. But, long term, you have to be a top 75 team to win titles in this league and they are nowhere near that today.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-08-18 04:33 PM - Post#242727    

No one will be 75 in the Ivies this year. ..and Donahue is one of the best floor coaches in the league, all else being equal.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
01-08-18 04:34 PM - Post#242728    

If we are still at 149 by the end of the year--we are not winning the Ivy title.

• Okoro Dude Said:
Please, P38, show me all the years where a team ranked 149 wins the league (hint: never). Over the last 8 years, a team ranked 149 would have been either the 3rd or 4th best team in the league in every season. So, yes, if they win the league at their current statistical ranking of 149, it will almost certainly have been because the competition was down. There is nothing wrong with that, in fact I would love it. But, long term, you have to be a top 75 team to win titles in this league and they are nowhere near that today.

TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
01-08-18 04:40 PM - Post#242730    

It's a down year, I'd think the winner is unlikely to break 100.

129 Princeton
148 Penn
184 Yale
185 Harvard
240 Columbia
241 Brown
245 Cornell
293 Dartmouth

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
01-08-18 04:42 PM - Post#242732    

Agreed, although H-P-Y also had pretty strong NCSOS, so that should factor into their rankings as the season further progresses.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4910
01-08-18 04:51 PM - Post#242734    

For the optimists among you: Has Rothschild played that well all season, and have he and Brodeur moved the ball that well prior to Friday's game? Because if not, and if Rothschild were to continue to play at that level in the future, Penn's performance going forward would likely be a lot better then it has been to date.
TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
01-08-18 04:58 PM - Post#242735    

Rothschild has been real good on the boards all year. His passing has been trending up.

Penn is a tough team to defend against. The whole team is good at moving the the ball around. The biggest weakness on offense has been FT shooting, 2nd biggest weakness is iffy shooting from the starting guards - but then Jones, Wood and Donahue can all score off the bench.

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
01-08-18 05:00 PM - Post#242736    

Max has stepped it up this year. The Princeton game was no fluke.

AJ has always been a good passer. The issue ever since he started Penn, though, has been his play when double teamed.
The Pine
Freshman
Posts 61
01-08-18 05:48 PM - Post#242739    

You guys are fools.

Year 2 of a rebuilding team that is fun to watch and has a chance to win every night. Depth at every position. A real , experienced coach who loves Philly basketball. Better overall quality of players who are not an embarrassment to the university. And... we just beat Princeton for the first time in 4 years.

So what if our KP rank is 140 or this is a down year for the ivy. It wasn't so long ago that Delaware State was a tossup game with 25 fouls, 2 assists and no team chemistry.

Please, tell me, why is anyone complaining?

Silver Maple
Postdoc
Posts 3770
01-08-18 05:53 PM - Post#242740    

What he said. Just enjoy being a Penn fan.
pennsive
Junior
Posts 200
01-08-18 09:59 PM - Post#242770    

I agree with you completely. Consider this: we switched uniforms with Princeton on Saturday. The play of our forwards who passed, shot, finished, and defended, and our overall offensive and defensive team strategy (i.e.coaching) looked like the Princeton teams that we have become used to seeing. In some ways, Princeton looked like the Penn teams of the past five years. I, for one, am very happy to trade places with them. Let's enjoy the victory and hope that it is a bridge to many, many more just like it. Giving the tiger a taste of its own medicine was good for the soul.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3618
Mike Porter
01-10-18 04:16 PM - Post#242901    

Jeff - I pay for Kenpom and track the advanced stats closely to the best of my ability (have enjoyed learning from stats folks that have shared their knowledge here), and I agree statistically overall we've only jumped 20-30 spots. I also agree overall the league is down in ratings (injuries being a big part) and that's why we are currently rated a higher in league than expected.

What I don't understand is why this post was necessary (and dude this is clearly a mistimed downer)?

Where are all the Penn fan posts saying we are now the best or overestimating our chances to win? Maybe one or two posts? I just don't see it. Seriously, I'd love to know what posts set you off to want to write this?

I see a lot of excited fans and more confident and hopeful than we've been in years. I mean, hell, we hadn't beaten Princeton in years... how #%$@ sad is that? Hell yes I was excited, but it was 1 game in 14 game season, and despite that Kenpom currently has us finishing with best Ivy regular season record, I frankly still think Princeton is the favorite so if anything I'm being even more conservative in my expectations than analytics would suggest. I've seen other Penn fans say the same about Princeton, so I just don't get why now?
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-10-18 04:50 PM - Post#242909    

It was basically this page http://boards.basketball-u.com/showtopic.php?tid/2...

Felt too over the top to me.

This page towards the bottom was also pretty nausea inducing.

http://boards.basketball-u.com/showtopic.php?tid/2...

When you're fundamentally the same team, there's no need to talk about buy in and wanting it more and intangibles and all that. It by implication seems to indict players from last year. There is no way that swapping Matt Howard for Max and Antonio is a net positive. He's much better than both of those players on offense and defense. But they're getting this credit not extended to him because we're 20 spots higher in KenPom?
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-10-18 04:58 PM - Post#242910    

Antonio's numbers are significantly better than they were his first two years contrary to your prediction that that could not happen. Indeed, they are pretty similar to and promise a senior year very close to (gasp) Rob Belcore.

You simply don't understand court balance. No one is suggesting that either Max or Antonio are better players than Matt Howard. However, they fit the needs of this team better, since Betley is a much better scorer than Howard, Max plays better interior defense and is a bigger threat inside on offense than Howard and Antonio is a much better defensive player on the perimeter and a much better ballhandler than Howard. So while Howard overall was better, these guys make the team better. And you completely missed that in your preseason analysis and stubbornly persist in making that argument even when the true fans are feeling good about beating Princeton.

Your arrogant insistence on being recognized as a superior intellect far outweighs your status as a Quaker fan. On that, the satire got it just right. It was a bit unfair to suggest that that arrogance exceeds your love for your kids...but then again, it is satire.
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-10-18 05:07 PM - Post#242912    

I just checked, I said that there was a greater than 10% chance he could put up a 105ish ORAT. Which is what he is currently at. Though interestingly on 16% usage meaning other people have to pick up his slack on the floor because he simply can't make his own plays.

I also had predicted a 101 ORAT. I'd say that's in the ballpark of 105. You didn't bother to predict one.

Again, if all of these awesome things happened, how come they're only 20 spots better in KenPom? It's at least half because they have played a very weak schedule. They're not materially better than they were last year at the time of nonconference and Princeton. Assuming they don't have the awful 6 game stint to open the Ivies, they will become better. That will be great.

I love Penn just as much as anyone on this board.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-10-18 06:00 PM - Post#242915    

You want to compare predictions so far Jeff? I predicted Penn for 3rd place ("19-11 over all, 9-5 Ivies, 3rd place") although I believe that was before Yale suffered its crippling injuries. You and I went at it head to head on that ridiculously long Red and Blue thread, where you said they would be worse this year with the loss of Howard and ridiculed the idea that Woods would improve. Here's what I said pre-season about Princeton:

"Mike, maybe you can explain this to me, but as I look at Princeton, I see a team that lost 4 seniors --all forwards (Cook, Weisz, Caruso and Miller) who played 90 minutes, scored 37 points, and 17.4 rebounds per game yet you seem to feel that this will not be missed because their returning players shoot 3s really well? Where are they going to get the play up front to replace them? All their returning stars are guards."

So far, I think that my predictions have been a step above yours. But there is a long way to go. What no one can understand is why you are crowing about Penn's improvement being unreal after a win against Princeton. That's when we question whether your intolerance about possible being wrong is stronger than your fandom.

Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-10-18 06:10 PM - Post#242916    

I predicted 8-6 and 4th. One game different. I also predicted we'd be at a 130ish KenPom. I've been off so far.

But here's the thing that separates me and you. I have no problem being wrong. You, just two days ago, said something "Were we 170 or so at this time last year? Don't think so". Implying we'd be worse than 170... we were actually better than that. Did you make one acknowledgement of being wrong? No, I showed you that you were wrong and you Colin'ed it up. Tell me some times you've been wrong. Acknowledge it.

I have no problem walking back things.
Charlie Fog
Masters Student
Posts 586
01-10-18 06:18 PM - Post#242917    

Go Quakers!
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-10-18 06:19 PM - Post#242918    

I don't recall responding to that---I may have missed it. If I am wrong about a fact, of course I admit it. I'll look, and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But what you just did is a classic deflection (speaking of Colin). Are you going to admit you were wrong about Antonio (and don't give me that a 10% chance on the ORAT is a correct prediction--in that case you can never be wrong....which is pretty much the way you look at things generally).
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-10-18 06:29 PM - Post#242919    

If Antonio keeps up a 105 ORAT, he will be better than I thought he'd be. It would seem to me he'd be worse than you thought he'd be because you've talked about him as a special player. A 105 ORAT on 16% usage... i mean, I looked at the 5 players from each Ivy team that played the most minutes (so 8X5=40). He's 24th. That would be consistent with me calling him a "nice" player.

I don't hate Antonio, I just saw a guy who was far worse than you saw. You called him special and great. He's neither. I'm glad he's playing for us now.
Penndemonium
PhD Student
Posts 1896
01-10-18 07:44 PM - Post#242921    

P38, I would agree with your overall point about the team, but I'm not sure I'll agree that Woods just fits our team and system better than Howard. I wouldn't attribute the improvement of our team to either of them. It seems very plausible to me that our team would have taken an equal or better jump if Howard were here in Woods' place.

That's what makes the improvement of this year's team so great. I can't point to big changes in talent. It simply seems to be a group that plays bigger than the sum of their parts this year. I think that would have happened if Howard were here too. Their intangibles are way up, and a 20-30 spot jump in Kenpom from that alone is a huge one. It means our team has taken a leap to become watchable, fun, an worthy of our fandom.

Yes, Jeff2sf, the league is down and our team is not super-strong. Yes, we gushed about a win at Delaware State. We are having fun. We don't need you to knock sense into us. Most of us enjoy being positive (and sometimes misguidedly so) on this board more than being being drawn into petty side arguments. Leave us alone. Make your points without disparaging others' intellect. It's not that hard.

• palestra38 Said:
Antonio's numbers are significantly better than they were his first two years contrary to your prediction that that could not happen. Indeed, they are pretty similar to and promise a senior year very close to (gasp) Rob Belcore.

You simply don't understand court balance. No one is suggesting that either Max or Antonio are better players than Matt Howard. However, they fit the needs of this team better, since Betley is a much better scorer than Howard, Max plays better interior defense and is a bigger threat inside on offense than Howard and Antonio is a much better defensive player on the perimeter and a much better ballhandler than Howard. So while Howard overall was better, these guys make the team better. And you completely missed that in your preseason analysis and stubbornly persist in making that argument even when the true fans are feeling good about beating Princeton.

Your arrogant insistence on being recognized as a superior intellect far outweighs your status as a Quaker fan. On that, the satire got it just right. It was a bit unfair to suggest that that arrogance exceeds your love for your kids...but then again, it is satire.

TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
01-10-18 09:30 PM - Post#242931    

• Jeff2sf Said:
I predicted 8-6 and 4th. One game different. I also predicted we'd be at a 130ish KenPom. I've been off so far.

What led you to the conclusion that Penn would be 8-6, KP 130ish? Tell me there's some statistical basis and it wasn't something you pulled from a body orifice. Because if that's the case then you're saying the season is a disappointment because the team hasn't reached a KP number you made up.

You come off as unimpressed that Penn beat the odds-on favorite to win the league - the one team that has a better KP than Penn's. I truly don't get that.

And you know what? It's OK to acknowledge that there are some guys on this team who are overachieving and putting us in this situation. Looking at you, Antonio Woods and Max Rothschild. They aren't the stars of the team but they play hard and play smart every single game. Bravo.

As a "stats guy" if you want to point something out then is it OK to educate without the condescension? Maybe all the banter on the site isn't to your liking but we're still able to discuss advanced metrics. That's advancement.

Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-10-18 09:33 PM - Post#242932    

• TheLine Said:
  • Jeff2sf Said:

What led you to the conclusion that Penn would be 8-6, KP 130ish? Tell me there's some statistical basis and it wasn't something you pulled from a body orifice. Because if that's the case then you're saying the season is a disappointment because the team hasn't reached a KP number you made up.

You come off as unimpressed that Penn beat the odds-on favorite to win the league - the one team that has a better KP than Penn's. I truly don't get that.

And you know what? It's OK to acknowledge that there are some guys on this team who are overachieving and putting us in this situation. Looking at you, Antonio Woods and Max Rothschild. They aren't the stars of the team but they play hard and play smart every single game. Bravo.

As a "stats guy" if you want to point something out then is it OK to educate without the condescension? Maybe all the banter on the site isn't to your liking but we're still able to discuss advanced metrics. That's advancement.

do you want to have a convo about this or do you want to be a jerk? cus while I do criticize (justly) P38, i've mostly left you alone and don't deserve the snark you're sending my way. So either lower the temperature or let's just not even do this.
TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
01-10-18 09:34 PM - Post#242933    

You've answered my question. No reason to discuss anything further.

Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-10-18 09:37 PM - Post#242934    

cool, bro. You went snark. I did have some sincere answers and was about halfway through typing when i realized you were just being an butt about it. thanks for confirming.
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-10-18 09:41 PM - Post#242935    

• Mike Porter Said:
Jeff - I pay for Kenpom and track the advanced stats closely to the best of my ability (have enjoyed learning from stats folks that have shared their knowledge here), and I agree statistically overall we've only jumped 20-30 spots. I also agree overall the league is down in ratings (injuries being a big part) and that's why we are currently rated a higher in league than expected.

What I don't understand is why this post was necessary (and dude this is clearly a mistimed downer)?

Where are all the Penn fan posts saying we are now the best or overestimating our chances to win? Maybe one or two posts? I just don't see it. Seriously, I'd love to know what posts set you off to want to write this?

I see a lot of excited fans and more confident and hopeful than we've been in years. I mean, hell, we hadn't beaten Princeton in years... how #%$@ sad is that? Hell yes I was excited, but it was 1 game in 14 game season, and despite that Kenpom currently has us finishing with best Ivy regular season record, I frankly still think Princeton is the favorite so if anything I'm being even more conservative in my expectations than analytics would suggest. I've seen other Penn fans say the same about Princeton, so I just don't get why now?

Mike, I offered you my answer and I meant what I said but your post did cause me to reflect a bit. I can see how people thought it was poorly timed. I don't think it's necessarily good to criticize right after a loss and if you check this season, I generally haven't gotten down after any one loss. So I'm sorry if I rained on your parade.
Jake Wilson
Freshman
Posts 15
01-10-18 10:23 PM - Post#242942    

• palestra38 Said:

Penn was ranked 145th at this point last season.
Penn7277
PhD Student
Posts 1365
01-10-18 10:28 PM - Post#242943    

I posted this some time ago and feel moved to post it again. Can't we all just get along?
Silver Maple
Postdoc
Posts 3770
01-10-18 10:45 PM - Post#242944    

Holy moly! Was that Jake Wilson we just heard from? On a related note, I think I just spotted a Yeti tromping through my back yard.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
01-10-18 10:53 PM - Post#242946    

He's just a freshman.

But hey, the Quad turns out to be your doppleganger! Who knew?
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-10-18 11:24 PM - Post#242947    

Jake's a sensitive guy. Lives in one of those touchy feely Boston area communities where everyone cares about each other. Hates to see people sniping.

Yo Jake. The real season starts Friday. I feel pretty optimistic--most of us do. Just boredom.
10Q
Professor
Posts 23360
01-11-18 07:19 AM - Post#242958    

Who’s next? BRF?
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6404
01-11-18 10:17 AM - Post#242969    

Seems to me that Jeff was actually closer on Woods. Maybe I misunderstood your preseason statements on Woods, but I thought you were saying he would be one of our top three players. Instead, we’ve gotten a lower usage, higher efficiency player. This is what I believe I said we needed from Woods in order for him to be a starter.

On the Ivy record, you predicted 9-5 and Jeff predicted 8-6. I’m excited about the win last weekend, and it makes 9-5 easier to reach, but i’m not ready to declare a winner after one game. A home win over Princeton is reasonable for either scenario.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-11-18 10:27 AM - Post#242970    

LOL. I think you have to go back and look at his statements on Woods and team as a whole. But let's just move on. This was precipitated by his negative comments after the Princeton win. We need to have the proper atmosphere to "welcome" Cornell and Columbia.
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-11-18 10:30 AM - Post#242971    

YES! YESSSSS!

The following are two quotes from P38 "I agree with you that Woods is the wild card this year. Few here seem to remember the hype for him when he started and he played with a confidence well beyond a freshman, even if he indeed was pretty raw. If his court sense has come up to his talent, he is a pretty special Ivy guard. "

"Donahue considered Woods (not his recruit) a special player 2 years ago and still does. I put much more credence in what he says than what you say based on his numbers with a bad team. "

Woods is performing outside my expected performance, but not THAT far outside. I didn't anticipate the decreased usage play by him. Bravo to him.
Silver Maple
Postdoc
Posts 3770
01-11-18 10:40 AM - Post#242972    

I like what Woods is doing this year-- more than I thought I would. He's playing smart, unselfish, team-first basketball. He's focusing on doing the things he does well, and isn't trying to do the things he's not so good at. He's not forcing things and isn't making a lot of mistakes. (For instance, he takes very few shots that aren't high-percentage shots for him.) He also seems to have improved as the season has gone on. All of this adds up to leadership, and teams don't win without that.

That's why Antonio is starting, and why he's playing so many minutes, and why other players are getting so many opportunities to succeed. Is he 'better' than Matt Howard? Is he 'worse?' I have no idea. It doesn't matter. The only thing we can say for certain is that Antonio Woods isn't Matt Howard.

The point here is that Woods is playing a highly productive role for this team, is contributing significantly to team efficiency on both sides of the ball, and is part of the reason the team seems to have taken a step forward this season. All that said, the jury's still out. Let's see how all this looks in a month or so. I'm still twitching over last season's 0-6 Ivy start.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-11-18 11:00 AM - Post#242975    

I'll leave it as SM describes it above. But let me say that it is impossible to have a debate with you when you consider that your "10% chance" that Woods will play as well as he has allows you to declare yourself correct.
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-11-18 11:26 AM - Post#242985    

You keep saying that. I'm not declaring myself correct. So far, I'm not right. I. DID. NOT. FORECAST. WOODS. CORRECTLY.

You can not make up a straw man that I'm trying to take credit for anything wit Woods. The above is the source of record. I was wrong, wrong, wrong.

Now, let's move on to you. You wrote the above that I quoted. Do you deny you wrote it? How does that square with his performance this year? Is this semantics? Because I and at least SomeGuy and perhaps some other guys, don't equate "special" with a 105 ORat on 16% usage. You could argue, as SomeGuy has, that a 101 ORat is closer to what he's doing than "special".

If you're saying special just means you're a below median starter in the Ivies, that's great. But let us know.

Also, the YESSSS I was going for was a Darnell Hayes vibe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7VaXlMvAvk

I'm not actually that excited.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-11-18 11:31 AM - Post#242988    

Yes, I think I was right--saying he is a special player was correct. And we have a special coach who is using him correctly. Tell me if Silpe, Donahue or Goodman could be doing what he is doing. And our biggest disagreement was whether Penn would be better or worse this year.

But I'm only excited at this point for the Cornell game.
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-11-18 11:36 AM - Post#242991    

Ok, so special is like, every kid is special. Got it. Grade inflation. If you had actually said something like, I think Woods is capable of putting up a 105 or 106 ORAT with less than 20% usage, no one would have batted an eye. I would have slightly disagreed with you, but I wouldn't nearly have dedicated as many words to this.

I'm not looking to be right or wrong on this but you have to understand that the difference between a 101 ORAT and a 105 isn't that much. If you had said that's what you meant, I would have thought that maybe you had some slight Penn glasses on, but no more than I have with someone like Tyler Hamilton (may he rest in peace). I would have said we basically view Woods the same. I will take you on face value that you meant this and not that you meant that special = All Ivy. It's a shame you're so averse to numbers, you really wasted a lot of people's time.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-11-18 12:15 PM - Post#242996    

As I said, I'll discuss the numbers with you when you discuss court balance. Until then, let's move on.
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-11-18 12:20 PM - Post#242998    

I have done nothing but meet you more than half way. You're not doing the same, Colin. So to be clear, you're saying that special means below average starter?
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6404
01-11-18 12:27 PM - Post#243000    

Jeff actually said we’d be better this year overall.

Yes, he thinks we’d be more better if we still had Matt Howard. That is a point we can debate and never prove, assuming no massive change in eligibility rules or Matt taking on a new identity.

Cvonvorys
Postdoc
Posts 4471
Cvonvorys
01-11-18 12:42 PM - Post#243003    

• Jeff2sf Said:
I have done nothing but meet you more than half way. You're not doing the same, Colin. So to be clear, you're saying that special means below average starter?

Leave me out of this please...
10Q
Professor
Posts 23360
01-11-18 12:45 PM - Post#243006    

Ha Ha. I always mix Colin and Jon up.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
01-11-18 02:58 PM - Post#243026    

Didn't follow all of this, but probably worth reiterating that Penn is eerily dead even with where it was both at Bart Torvik's site and KenPom at the same point last year.

Also, on Woods, it's important to note that the difference between the two takes on him (at least based on offensive ratings) is quite simply the difference between his current 2PT J% of 54% and a more reasonable one of 30s-low 40s. I mean that more to say that I think we need more time to come to any conclusions than to take either side.

As for Penn, the defense has pretty much wrapped up its regression (been in the 102/103 range over the past month-plus as the 3PT% against has moderated). The question now is whether the national average offense, which is driven primarily by an insanely low TO rate (not to mention ancillary benefits to the D from the offense getting the ball stolen at an insanely low rate as well), will hold up over time.

Penn's generally in the zone where everyone expected, no? The surprise has been the massive injuries to Harvard and Yale and Princeton starting out so slowly.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-11-18 03:47 PM - Post#243032    

Achem...."some" of us questioned your high evaluation of Princeton because they retained no quality big men. You are correct that no one anticipated Yale's injuries. Harvard is half and half.

But again, you guys continually back into non-predictions by looking at non-comparable statistics (such as KenPom--140 last year does not equal 140 this year) or saying that Woods had a 10% chance of performing at this level, so if he does, the prediction was correct. I don't expect acknowledgment on this but that's my view.

On the actual play, there is a reason why Penn's TO rate is so low--it plays 2 guys who are skilled ballhandlers over 30 minutes a game, and Betley and as it turns out, Max, both are very good passers. It's a really well coached team, and reminds me a bit of Donahue's great Cornell teams in that respect. We just don't have the shooters who can do the other things so we have to choose.
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-11-18 03:54 PM - Post#243036    

• Jeff2sf Said:
You keep saying that. I'm not declaring myself correct. So far, I'm not right. I. DID. NOT. FORECAST. WOODS. CORRECTLY.

• PALESTRA LIED Said:
you guys continually back into non-predictions by looking at non-comparable statistics (such as KenPom--140 last year does not equal 140 this year) or saying that Woods had a 10% chance of performing at this level, so if he does, the prediction was correct. I don't expect acknowledgment on this but that's my view.

I mean expect people to acknowledge reality. I've definitely come with a good faith approach to this debate. Colin has not.

Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12530
01-11-18 04:17 PM - Post#243046    

• Jake Wilson Said:
  • palestra38 Said:

Penn was ranked 145th at this point last season.

Am I seeing things??

• Jeff2sf Said:
I mean expect people to acknowledge reality. I've definitely come with a good faith approach to this debate. Colin has not.

Why continue to do this if not to cause problems? His name isn't Colin and it's played out at this point.
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-11-18 04:18 PM - Post#243047    

Q, you know I love you, but you don't see anything wrong with me stating I was wrong and Palestra38 claiming I haven't acknowledged this?
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-11-18 04:19 PM - Post#243048    

and the reason I do this is it's so stark. Just like on the OT board when Colin states A, you and others say well actually A isn't true because of X, Y, Z, and then he keeps saying A.
I don't follow every stupid post, but it seems Colin-esqe and appropriate to call Palestra on his $ h i t.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2814
01-11-18 04:26 PM - Post#243049    

Some Penn fans obviously know a lot more bball than me. You beat my guys and then you can still find so many things wrong with your players.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-11-18 04:27 PM - Post#243050    

Your predicted best Penn starting lineup this year:

Foreman
Goodman
Betley
Jones
Brodeur

Your statement about Woods:

Antonio Woods was a highly mediocre basketball player. Maybe he'll get better. I hope he does. There's very little in his past to support that.

There is no way we are net better on D with Matt Howard out. Antonio is not that good.

Your statement about Rothschild:

No, sorry, PennFan, it's been proven that Max Rothschild's previous play was mediocre FROM AN EFFICIENCY POV. More minutes doesn't solve that.

This is what I said before the season started:

Having a veteran backcourt of Woods and Foreman might be a critical advantage in the Ivy race. We haven't had 2 guards with real on the ball skills since Toole-Begley and neither of them was a classic PG who could break down defenses. Rosen played with Belcore, certainly not a guy who could penetrate, same with Ibby (Grandieri?). Even Jordan played with Langel--a great combo but not 2 guards who could break down defenses. So this could be our most difficult to defend backcourt since Allen/Maloney. Betley then becomes critical for scoring off the pass, and I think he's up to that task. This works especially if those guys put such pressure on the ball on defense that their height cannot be used against them.

I like it.

I can go on and on. The problem is that you are all over the place once your initial view is disproven.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-11-18 04:28 PM - Post#243051    

Yo Jeff. I disagree with Colin on everything under the sun politically, but if you're going to go after him, have the balls to state your opinion on that board where he posts his opinions rather than making snide comments about him here. Here, keep the snide comments to me.
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-11-18 04:31 PM - Post#243053    

• palestra38 Said:
Yo Jeff. I disagree with Colin on everything under the sun politically, but if you're going to go after him, have the balls to state your opinion on that board where he posts his opinions rather than making snide comments about him here. Here, keep the snide comments to me.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I hadn't previously needed to explain why I was calling you that.

Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-11-18 04:34 PM - Post#243055    

Antonio Woods was a profoundly mediocre player two years ago. On that, everyone agrees. He progressed to a below-median starter. I said there's little in his past to suggest he would improve... I would hope that would indicate his stats. I did ultimately predict him to improve. I was using some of his non statistical data to do so. I don't think this is inconsistent. But again, I've had no problem acknowledging when I'm wrong. You not only can't acknowledge when you're wrong, you can't even acknowledge me acknowledging it.

Just say it, why is it so hard, Colin?
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
01-11-18 04:37 PM - Post#243056    

As for Max, this is even more of a miss. This is just a flat out miss by me. I hate playing two bigs, I think it clogs up all the spacing but Max got off to a terrible start and has steadily gotten better. He's our worst starter and in the bottom quartile of starters in the Ivies on offense, but I didn't think he could become an above 100 ORat player.

Defensively, the two of them (Brodeur/Max) do some nice stuff by soaking up rebounds.

Also, Mike, feel free to insert some deliciously tasty on-off splits if you got em.
Cvonvorys
Postdoc
Posts 4471
Cvonvorys
01-11-18 05:00 PM - Post#243063    

Dearest Penn Board Posters,

So if Penn finishes 12-2 in the Ivy League and splits its final two Big Five games, what do you figure their KenPom rating is? So is Penn as good as our current rating or as good as our potential rating?

Oh, and by the way, Penn is now a 15 seed in the South Bracket playing Duke in the first round according to ESPN Bracketology:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketba ll/bracke...

All my love,
Colin
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
01-11-18 05:31 PM - Post#243068    

Over the past month, Princeton's played like No. 70 nationally, which is about where I expected them to be. Remains to be seen whether that was a mere, random hot stretch or a new normal.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-11-18 05:43 PM - Post#243070    

I can't say I watched them in those games, but Donahue knew precisely what their weakness was and attacked it.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
01-11-18 05:49 PM - Post#243072    

• mrjames Said:
Over the past month, Princeton's played like No. 70 nationally, which is about where I expected them to be. Remains to be seen whether that was a mere, random hot stretch or a new normal.

How do you figure? The only team it beat during that stretch ranked higher than Penn was USC, but as noted that victory comes with a major asterisk.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
01-11-18 06:28 PM - Post#243077    

Great tool for this...

http://barttorvik.com/trankslice.php?year=2018
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
01-11-18 06:39 PM - Post#243080    

I ran it for all games since December 1st, and Princeton is nowhere near #70.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
01-11-18 06:47 PM - Post#243081    

Past month - i.e. 12/10 -1/10. Or choose any date around there after the GW game.

That’s roughly the same time last year that Princeton started its completely 180 that lasted the rest of the season, though diff circumstances.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
01-11-18 06:57 PM - Post#243082    

OK.

Princeton did play well on its West Coast trip, but again that ranking is inflated because of the USC game. Not that beating USC's subs still isn't something, but it sure as heck is not beating a Top 50 or Top 60 team.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
01-11-18 07:14 PM - Post#243083    

Princeton’s game scores over the past month have been:
80, 89, 95, 72, 35, 91, 44.

Yes, USC is the 95, but that game score would still be over 80 even if you put them outside the Top 100 (around 90 depending on where you place USC). And they’ve got three others at 80 and above, which is at-large caliber.
westcoast
Senior
Posts 302
01-11-18 07:28 PM - Post#243084    

• penn nation Said:
Princeton did play well on its West Coast trip, but again that ranking is inflated because of the USC game. Not that beating USC's subs still isn't something, but it sure as heck is not beating a Top 50 or Top 60 team.

Haha. USC only played five ESPN Top 100 players that day - Chimezie Metu, Elijah Stewart, Jordan McLaughlin, Shaqquan Aaron, and Charles O'Bannon, plus two very good 3-4* recruits in Jordan Usher and Nick Rakocevic. That team would be a runaway favorite for the Ivy League champ, and could easily be a Top 50-60 team. A full-strength USC team is probably a Top 20 team (Sweet 16 last year with everyone back).

Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2814
01-11-18 07:43 PM - Post#243086    

PennNation is right. Beating USC was no big thing. We're overrated -- we couldn't even beat Penn.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
01-11-18 07:50 PM - Post#243087    

• westcoast Said:
A full-strength USC team is probably a Top 20 team (Sweet 16 last year with everyone back).

Hold yer horses there, bub. Right now it's a middle of the pack Pac-12 squad.

Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3618
Mike Porter
01-12-18 06:08 PM - Post#243254    

• Jeff2sf Said:
It was basically this page http://boards.basketball-u.com/showtopic.php?tid/2...

Felt too over the top to me.

This page towards the bottom was also pretty nausea inducing.

When you're fundamentally the same team, there's no need to talk about buy in and wanting it more and intangibles and all that. It by implication seems to indict players from last year. There is no way that swapping Matt Howard for Max and Antonio is a net positive. He's much better than both of those players on offense and defense. But they're getting this credit not extended to him because we're 20 spots higher in KenPom?

Thanks Jeff - I looked too, but still mostly see excited fans and a few over exuberant ones. I think some of it you read into it honestly.

A few things I want to say:

1) We would ABSOLUTELY be a better team if Matt Howard was still here. Imagine one of Foreman/Woods being starting PG, Betley at SG, Howard at SF, Brodeur at PF and Max at C?

2) We didn't trade Howard for Max and Woods... we traded Howard and Donahue/Goodman For Max and Woods. I think def and rebounding from the later and based on ratings, I prob like them better on offense too. In general, team play looks better optically. I'd still rather have Howard on the team of course if that was Option C.

3) Woods ORAT isn't 105... unless you count D3. Via Kenpom he is 101.6.

P38 - love your passion, but good def and 101.6 ORAT on 16/17% usage is not a special player. I really like Woods, am pumped he improved and hope it continues, and think is a really good player. To help understand the distinction, Betley is a special player (see advanced metrics, eye test, 1st half of Princeton, etc. for reference).

Jeff - as you've acknowledged (appreciate that's), your timing here sucked and that's why you got backlash. Especially because your feedback was really for 1 or 2 posters.

Now, let's hope the guys come out and play great to beat Cornell and Columbia!

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
01-12-18 07:37 PM - Post#243264    

Just for the record, I was quoting Steve Donahue saying Woods was a special player.

But as a team, we are better, KenPom or no KenPom.

Onto the game.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3618
Mike Porter
01-12-18 08:52 PM - Post#243270    

I definitely like watching this team more as well and think we are better also. Now let's get a win against Cornell!

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.232 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:05 AM