Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: All-Ivy Picks
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6404
03-04-18 01:09 AM - Post#250678    

My first team: Betley, Brodeur, Lewis, Phils, Towns

Second team: Morgan, Gettings, Oni, Smith, Cannady

HM: Stephens, Bell, Foreman, Cambridge, Anderson

POY: Lewis
DPY: Brodeur
ROY: Cambridge
COY: Donahue

Advanced metrics might work against Oni, but he certainly feels like the best player on the third best team, so I have trouble leaving him out. Also feels weird picking so many offense first players in a year where Defense was king, so Bassey in particular could find his way in there somewhere. And Lewis is the best defensive player in the league, but I doubt he gets both POY and DPY.
Silver Maple
Postdoc
Posts 3770
03-04-18 02:27 PM - Post#250751    

1) I love and adore Ryan Betley, and would gladly have his baby, but you could convince me that Matt Morgan, not Ryan, should be on the first team.

2) Perhaps this is just the hopelessly biased Penn fan in me, but I think that Caleb Wood MUST be at least HM.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6404
03-04-18 03:49 PM - Post#250787    

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Caleb is on there. I think Miles Wright is another league senior who could sneak in there as well.
whitakk
Masters Student
Posts 523
03-05-18 10:53 AM - Post#250882    

Here's our picks:

http://www.nycbuckets.com/2018/03/ivy-league-se aso...
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
03-05-18 11:01 AM - Post#250886    

y no betley? Seems weird for co-champ Penn to get one player on all ivy team for that essentially ran away and hid from 3rd and 4th place.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
03-05-18 11:03 AM - Post#250888    

Essentially, they gave all the credit for Penn's shared title to Donahue. Very little to the players.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
03-05-18 11:19 AM - Post#250893    

I think Betley/Morgan will be the battle here for 1st team/2nd team (maybe they both make it if there's a tie like last year). Adding Betley to the top two teams means that someone has to come off from what Kevin posted (again, assuming no ties). I'd wager the odd man out would be Mike Smith. Otherwise, Kevin's thoughts at NY Buckets match almost exactly what I posted.

This seems to be an easy year to figure out, which is strange because the teams were closer together top-to-bottom than I can remember, so you'd figure there'd be a lot more variance in thoughts about the awards. As others have stated, I do hope that the HM list includes some seniors that had really nice years, including those previously mentioned (Foreman, Bell, Wood and Wright) along with one I haven't seen mentioned: Taylor Johnson.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
03-05-18 11:27 AM - Post#250895    

Caleb Wood scored over 10 ppg in only 19 minutes (and a comparable 11.7 in 22 minutes in league play). That's pretty incredible. So was his 70% shooting from 2, which reflects what a great weapon he was.

I don't think the Quakers are where they are without him and he will be the toughest senior to replace next year. But Wood should receive some sort of award.
Jeff2sf
Postdoc
Posts 4466
03-05-18 11:35 AM - Post#250899    

I don't have a big opinion on 1st team v 2nd team, Mike. I was reacting to Betley being left off 2nd team.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
03-05-18 11:37 AM - Post#250900    

It's funny because a lot of conferences have a sixth-man of the year award, which I'd have to assume Caleb would win easy. Question is whether coaches will reward someone that played about half of his team's minutes. I'm doubtful, but we'll see.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6404
03-05-18 01:14 PM - Post#250906    

Why no love for Trey Phills (who I actually had as a first teamer)? If it is only for the conference season, he should be on the list somewhere. 23.3 PER in conference, high win shares, high ORAT. Best defender on the team. What is the argument for leaving him off? I don’t see how Oni goes ahead of him in conference just looking at his own team, and it doesn’t seem like anybody from Princeton should be ahead of him when they have worse numbers AND lost a lot more games.
whitakk
Masters Student
Posts 523
03-05-18 01:53 PM - Post#250910    

Penn won the title because it had the best third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh men in the league. I don't like the "quota" approach to all-league awards (even if that's how it often works in practice).

That said, Betley is plenty deserving and I expect he'll make the coaches' list. (First-team seems a bit rich to me but not indefensible.)

Good catch on Phills, we should have had him HM. He's a case where I don't think you can fully rely on stats -- he got a lot of his points by drawing the worst defender when Oni/Copeland got more attention -- but he does have a case.

FWIW while I weight conference play more heavily I do consider non-league play too. (not that it makes a huge difference this year).
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
03-05-18 02:05 PM - Post#250914    

It's the old debate whether it's a most valuable player competition or most outstanding player competition. If you lean MVP criteria, as I do, you go with players from the best teams unless there are numbers that are outliers statistically. There are only 3 teams in my opinion that should have players on the first team and most of the second team.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
03-05-18 02:10 PM - Post#250916    

Yeah, Betley has to be somewhere there. Hard to see how you have 2 Princeton guys and only 1 Penn guy. I'd probably kick Cannady off.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6404
03-05-18 04:36 PM - Post#250949    

Yes, I actually went with Bell (the senior) on my list and kicked both Cannady and Stephens off! Suspect all 3 will be at least HM.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
03-05-18 04:41 PM - Post#250953    

I've seen quite a few Princeton games and Stephens has impressed me the most this year.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6404
03-05-18 04:45 PM - Post#250955    

That’s because he is the most impressive. I downgrade him based on the same bias that got me into trouble talking about Evan Boudreaux— when things go awry, I tend to give disproportionate blame to the best players. Stephens is such a good two way player that it feels to me like he has failed if the team fails.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6404
03-05-18 04:57 PM - Post#250960    

That was true the first Penn game, but in the second they seemed to devote more resources to stopping Phils than Copeland. Without success.

I also think Phils draws the toughest assignment the other way, for what that’s worth.

Stopping him also looks deceptively simple — every time Yale puts up a shot, I think “somebody put a body on Phils.” It must be easier said than done, because he just keeps flying in there.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3050
03-05-18 05:50 PM - Post#250970    

POY: Seth Towns (AJ Brodeur runner-up)
DPOY: Justin Bassey (AJ Brodeur and Chris Lewis runner-up)
Coach of the Year: Steve Donahue (Brian Earl runner-up, but certainly James Jones did a great job)
ROY: Desmond Cambridge
Sixth Man: Caleb Wood (T-Choh and Stefanini were pretty good, as well)
Most improved: Christian Juzang (Darnell Foreman runner-up)

1st team - Towns, Brodeur, Lewis, Morgan and Betley
2nd team - Gettings, Oni, Cannady, Cambridge and Smith
Hon Mention - Stephens, Anderson, Juzang, Foreman, Adlesh, Wright

All-Rookie: Cambridge, Julian, Atkinson, Choh, Stefanini

Women's
POY: Alarie (Princeton)
DPOY: Simpson (Yale)
COY: Kocalanes (Dartmouth)
Sixth Person: Skinner (Harvard)
Most Improved: Lippold (Dartmouth)

1st team: Alarie, Zimmerman (Columbia), Nwokedi (Penn), Letkiewicz (Dartmouth), and Benzan (Harvard)
2nd team: Parker (Penn), Robinson (Princeton), Berkowitz (Yale), Simpson (Yale), and Gaziano (Brown)
Honorable Mention: Widmann (Cornell), Skinner, Mehta (Brown), Ross (Penn), Barahman (Yale), Lippold (Dartmouth)

All-Rookie: Parker, Bush (Harvard), Littlefield (Princeton), Leonidas (Brown), Meyers (Princeton)
tkapiko
Freshman
Posts 28
03-05-18 06:06 PM - Post#250977    

I agree. Phills should be on one of the teams, but not ahead of Oni. I think their roles on the offensive and defensive ends balance out because Oni draws the best defender on opposing teams while Phills take on the best offensive player. Oni leads the team in ppg, rpg, apg, both overall and in conference play. I love when they both run the floor; they are elite athletes. I think Oni made everybody better, including Phills and the freshmen Atkinson and Swain, dishing them assists.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3584
03-05-18 06:40 PM - Post#250983    

Oni is one of the best 2 way players in the league, there really are only 1-2 other guys in his category in my opinion.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
03-05-18 09:16 PM - Post#251006    

I would be very surprised if Morgan is not 1st team. Thought that he might be in the top three for POY - possibly #2.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3584
03-05-18 09:24 PM - Post#251008    

I like Towns, Brodeur and Lewis, maybe Oni as POY candidates. There isn't another player who impacts their team on both ends like those guys do.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6404
03-06-18 09:14 AM - Post#251032    

A couple of issues with Oni. One is the sub 100 ORAT. The other is the scoring inconsistency (they may relate). There are just too many games where he doesn’t score, and the team tends to lose those games.
JadwinGeorge
Senior
Posts 357
03-06-18 10:05 AM - Post#251037    

First Team: Lewis, Brodeur, Towns, Morgan, Stephens.
Tigers' collapse not his fault.
POY: Brodeur
DPOY: Lewis
ROY: Cambridge (easiest choice of all)
COY: Donohue (pretty easy as well)
Columbia Alum
Junior
Posts 247
03-06-18 10:27 AM - Post#251041    

Matt Morgan should be player of the year, no question he was the best player in the league, regardless of how badly his team performed, this is not a team award, and how a team does as a whole influences the award too much. Lewis or AJ should be DPOY.

First team: Lewis, Towns, AJ, Morgan, Oni, Betley
Second Team: Smith, Anderson, Stephens, Gettings, Copeland
HM: Cambridge, Cannady, Wright, Meisner, Foreman
ROY: Anderson

COY: Donahue or Jones
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
03-06-18 10:36 AM - Post#251042    

My final guesses (think the official awards will be out today):

POY - Towns
DPOY - Bell
ROY - Cambridge
COY - Donahue

1st Team
*Towns
*Brodeur
*Lewis
*Morgan
Oni

2nd Team/HM
Betley
Gettings
Cambridge
Cannady
Stephens
Smith
Phills
Foreman
Bassey
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1145
03-06-18 11:18 AM - Post#251045    

• rbg Said:

Women's

While the Dartmouth women showed great improvement this season, and also had arguably the best OOC results of any Dartmouth basketball team in recent memory, I'm still not convinced that Koclanes will be able to return us to the glory days when Dartmouth routinely competed for the championship.

Its really hard to shake the interview she gave last year to the Valley News when she (in essence) said that winning a championship is extremely difficult. While she's not necessarily wrong, coaches like Teevens routinely say that winning a championship is the goal and I know that he feels bad when we come up short--even if we took second.

I don't get that same vibe from Koclanes...
Old Bear
Postdoc
Posts 3992
03-06-18 11:27 AM - Post#251048    

I trust you meant Cambridge for ROY, Anderson is a Soph.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3584
03-06-18 11:58 AM - Post#251055    

Morgan is not a great defender, though he is the best scorer and a great distributor. Towns has more of an impact on both ends than Morgan. So does AJ and Lewis for that matter. Defense matters for POY
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1145
03-06-18 12:02 PM - Post#251056    

• Go Green Said:
  • rbg Said:

Women's

While the Dartmouth women showed great improvement this season, and also had arguably the best OOC results of any Dartmouth basketball team in recent memory, I'm still not convinced that Koclanes will be able to return us to the glory days when Dartmouth routinely competed for the championship.

Its really hard to shake the interview she gave last year to the Valley News when she (in essence) said that winning a championship is extremely difficult. While she's not necessarily wrong, coaches like Teevens routinely say that winning a championship is the goal and I know that he feels bad when we come up short--even if we took second.

I don't get that same vibe from Koclanes...

I also should have mentioned that the optics would look bad if Koclanes gets COY.

Is taking Dartmouth to a whooping fifth place finish such a Herculean accomplishment warranting an award?

SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6404
03-06-18 01:06 PM - Post#251066    

Last year, I seemed to make some enemies arguing that Evan Boudreaux shouldn’t be in the POY conversation, and was far from a lock for first team. However, there were individual statistical arguments against him — low ORAT, box score +/- said team played better with him off the floor, etc. For Morgan, none of that is true. High counting stats, high ORAT, box score +/- shows team is much better when he is on the floor, etc. He’s just a beast on offense. And no turnovers despite the high usage rate and having to carry the team. Amazing.

So for Morgan, i’m really reduced to the simple argument that the team went 6-8. I think that is a non-starter for POY (hasn’t happened since early 80s that a sub .500 team in conference produced the POY. So I don’t think it will happen now, and I don’t think it should. But if ever there was a time for it, Morgan would be the guy.
Columbia Alum
Junior
Posts 247
03-06-18 01:34 PM - Post#251078    

meant Cambridge ROY, hands down
Columbia Alum
Junior
Posts 247
03-06-18 01:42 PM - Post#251082    

Yes Morgan's is not a top class defender, but not a terrible defender either. Frankly his offensive game, considering usage, efficiency and impact is head, shoulders and feet above anyone else in the league. This makes his overall impact and contribution bigger than towns, lewis, brodeur or anyone else with a much better supporting cast. You can argue the others are more balanced on both ends of the court, but that is because morgan is so damn good on offense.

Cornell is 6-8, but I have no doubt they would be 0-14 or at best 1-13 without him.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
03-06-18 01:47 PM - Post#251084    

Towns is, without question, the best player in the league. Morgan is talented, but not in the same stratosphere. I would say Stephens is second best.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
03-06-18 04:01 PM - Post#251101    

Just released:

PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Seth Towns, Harvard (So., F – Columbus, Ohio)

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
*Desmond Cambridge, Brown (Fr., G – Nashville, Tenn.)

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Amir Bell, Princeton (Sr., G – East Brunswick, N.J.)

COACH OF THE YEAR
Steve Donahue, Penn

FIRST TEAM ALL-IVY
*AJ Brodeur, Penn (So., F – Northborough, Mass.)
*Matt Morgan, Cornell (Jr., G – Concord, N.C.)
*Miye Oni, Yale (So., G – Porter Ranch, Calif.)
*Seth Towns, Harvard (So., F – Columbus, Ohio)
Chris Lewis, Harvard (So,. F/C – Alpharetta, Ga.)

SECOND TEAM ALL-IVY^
Stone Gettings, Cornell (Jr., F – Malibu, Calif.)
Myles Stephens, Princeton (Jr., F – Lawrenceville, N.J.)
Ryan Betley, Penn (So., G – Downingtown, Pa.)
Mike Smith, Columbia (So., G – Burr Ridge, Ill.)
Desmond Cambridge, Brown (Fr., G – Nashville, Tenn.)
Devin Cannady, Princeton (Jr., G – Mishawaka, Ind.)
Trey Phills, Yale (Jr., G – Charlotte, N.C.)

HONORABLE MENTION
Darnell Foreman, Penn (Sr., G – Camden, N.J.)
Justin Bassey, Harvard (So., G – Denver, Colo.)
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32803
03-06-18 04:08 PM - Post#251102    

Hard to argue with....they should have a 6th man award, though.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6404
03-06-18 04:21 PM - Post#251103    

Looks to me like somebody cheated on their picks.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
03-06-18 04:36 PM - Post#251104    

What you just heard from my opponent is an attack on my integrity and my character. And I will not reply in kind. Instead, I will take those remarks and tuck them away, away in a tiny "lock-box," where all bad thoughts go.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2691
03-06-18 04:47 PM - Post#251105    

Good selections, although I think Lewis is a game crayon defense, more so than any other player in the league. He’ll get it next year.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3584
03-06-18 04:47 PM - Post#251106    

• mrjames Said:
What you just heard from my opponent is an attack on my integrity and my character. And I will not reply in kind. Instead, I will take those remarks and tuck them away, away in a tiny "lock-box," where all bad thoughts go.

I have to admit it is quite curious you originally listed Chris Lewis as DPOY and in your "final" picks you switched, almost magically, to Amir Bell. That's gonna bring out the conspiracy theorists......

I do find it interesting that Chris Lewis was the only non unanimous 1st teamer. Who in the world didn't think he was first team?
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
03-06-18 04:56 PM - Post#251107    

HA! No that quote is a joke - it's from the SNL Bush-Gore debates... which was peak SNL. If you don't remember Darrell Hammond doing Al Gore, it was simply amazing.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
03-06-18 04:58 PM - Post#251108    

But seriously... Amir Bell as DPOY. Biggest question I have: is he the DPOY... on Princeton? It's really close. I like Stephens more, but it's close.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
03-06-18 04:59 PM - Post#251109    

You should remember but tuck them away -- high road is always better than the low road. I thought that your picks made very good sense when first released.
T.P.F.K.A.D.W.
PhD Student
Posts 1171
03-06-18 05:01 PM - Post#251110    

• mrjames Said:
HA! No that quote is a joke - it's from the SNL Bush-Gore debates... which was peak SNL. If you don't remember Darrell Hammond doing Al Gore, it was simply amazing.

Au contraire, mon frere. Peak SNL was Dan Aykroyd as Jimmy Carter talking down a possible drug overdose. "Do you have any Allman Brothers?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-68iTvhWNB0
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
03-06-18 05:18 PM - Post#251111    

Some of the coaches seem to have gotten struck with a sudden case of Bell's Palsy.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
03-06-18 05:36 PM - Post#251114    

I *never* should have started a "peak SNL" debate. I just loved that 2000s era though because it could consistently make it to Weekend Update with gold material, which was no small feat.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3584
03-06-18 05:43 PM - Post#251116    

Amir Bell is a big surprise, especially coming from such a mediocre defensive team. I am shocked the DPOY wasn't from one of the two best defenses in the league, which is the main reason they are also the two best teams in the league by a large margin. Shocked.

Bassey, Lewis, Brodeur, any of those I would have picked before Bell.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
03-06-18 05:47 PM - Post#251117    

Problem was... only one of those was an option to pick.
T.P.F.K.A.D.W.
PhD Student
Posts 1171
03-06-18 05:47 PM - Post#251118    

• mrjames Said:
I *never* should have started a "peak SNL" debate. I just loved that 2000s era though because it could consistently make it to Weekend Update with gold material, which was no small feat.

Touchy subject, Mike. Tread lightly.
Silver Maple
Postdoc
Posts 3770
03-06-18 05:58 PM - Post#251119    

Darrell Hammond as Bill Clinton, doing a review on Weekend Update of The American President, is one of my all time favorites.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
03-06-18 06:11 PM - Post#251123    

It's hard to argue with the 1970s SNL. Such a talented cast. Gilda Radner doing Roseann Roseannadanna on Weekend Update never got old. Man, was that hysterical.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3584
03-06-18 06:39 PM - Post#251126    

• penn nation Said:
It's hard to argue with the 1970s SNL. Such a talented cast. Gilda Radner doing Roseann Roseannadanna on Weekend Update never got old. Man, was that hysterical.

And there was no ILT back then when the Quakers were in the Final Four!

QHoops
Senior
Posts 368
03-06-18 07:43 PM - Post#251131    

Lorne Michaels says that by far the dominant subject people stop him to talk about is their opinion on which era of SNL is best.

He says people almost always tell him it is whichever time period coincided when they were something like 18-20.

Which I can confirm, since obviously the late 70's SNL was best.
whitakk
Masters Student
Posts 523
03-06-18 07:56 PM - Post#251133    

• mrjames Said:
But seriously... Amir Bell as DPOY. Biggest question I have: is he the DPOY... on Princeton? It's really close. I like Stephens more, but it's close.

In the couple games I watched for defense closely I did actually think Bell had a bit more impact. I still took Stephens for the season based on history / on-off splits / reputation but maybe that was a bit lazy.

Anyway it's a weird outcome. Bell/Stephens weren't the reason Princeton's defense was bad this year, but I think you need a really good case to pick someone from a below-average defense when isolating individual contributions is so hard.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4910
03-07-18 01:35 PM - Post#251217    

I'm happy for Bell, who brought it every night on D and made life very difficult for his man, but Lewis seemed like more of an eraser. Maybe foul propensity was a factor.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
03-07-18 01:45 PM - Post#251224    

Lewis not being on the ballot was a big factor...
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6404
03-07-18 01:48 PM - Post#251227    

Assume from your prior comment that AJ wasn’t either. Who from penn? Foreman?

Either that or Harvard managed to put somebody besides Lewis and Bassey up, which seems hard to believe.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2691
03-07-18 01:51 PM - Post#251228    

Based on Mike's prior posts, I'd assume that Coach Amaker proposed Justin Bassey for DOP. Maybe because Chris Lewis was being considered for POY.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
03-07-18 01:53 PM - Post#251231    

• mrjames Said:

So how this work? You're not allowed to nominate a player for more than a certain number of categories?

mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
03-07-18 01:54 PM - Post#251233    

Penn was Foreman, Harvard was Bassey.

Along with Bell, two other teams put up candidates.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3584
03-07-18 01:56 PM - Post#251234    

As I have mentioned, coaches vote for whom each coach nominates and lobby's for. If Lewis wasn't on the ballot it's because Amaker didn't nominate him. In order to get any post season award, you have to win over your own coach first. And in some cases, coaches have to pick whom they will nominate. Amaker may well have chosen Bassey as his nominee for POY. And it could have been that Donahue pushed Brodeur and the two of them split votes such that Amir Bell won. It could be there was a majority for Bell, which seems less likely, but I don't know.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
03-07-18 01:57 PM - Post#251235    

I don't believe there are any restrictions like that on who you can put up, except that each team puts up one (or none). I can see why Harvard put up Bassey over Lewis, though either would have been a great candidate. For Penn, if anyone, I would have expected Max or Woods over AJ before Foreman. So, I'm not exactly sure what Penn was doing other than maybe trying to honor a senior?
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3584
03-07-18 01:58 PM - Post#251236    

• penn nation Said:
  • mrjames Said:

So how this work? You're not allowed to nominate a player for more than a certain number of categories?

I don't know the specifics, but practically if Amaker nominates both Lewis and Bassey, they would share the vote from other coaches and neither would get it. He has to pick one to push.

It could be, as MJ points out, that coaches nominate the wrong guy. If SD nominated Max or Antonio, instead of AJ, coaches may well have picked Bell over those choices. Or AJ/Bassey could have stolen votes from each other and Bell ended up sneaking in.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2691
03-07-18 01:58 PM - Post#251238    

Thanks for the confirmation. Hard to get votes if your own coach doesn't nominate you.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
03-07-18 02:00 PM - Post#251239    

Interesting. Not sure the correct outcome resulted here, though. That's a strange pick as the best defensive player for the whole league.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
03-07-18 02:04 PM - Post#251242    

Yeah, it definitely wasn't the right outcome generally. Given the options, though, you could see how you'd end up there...
whitakk
Masters Student
Posts 523
03-07-18 02:05 PM - Post#251244    

• mrjames Said:
I don't believe there are any restrictions like that on who you can put up, except that each team puts up one (or none). I can see why Harvard put up Bassey over Lewis, though either would have been a great candidate. For Penn, if anyone, I would have expected Max or Woods over AJ before Foreman. So, I'm not exactly sure what Penn was doing other than maybe trying to honor a senior?

Donahue has talked up Foreman's defense a lot this season. (I think I recall one quote about him being one of the best perimeter defenders in the league, maybe the best, but I can't find it now.) Being a senior might have pushed him over the top but I think it's a belief they truly hold.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3584
03-07-18 02:06 PM - Post#251245    

I would think the most likely occurrence is that AJ/Bassey split votes to allow Bell to win. If SD put up anyone else, Bassey would have easily won I would think.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21193
03-07-18 02:09 PM - Post#251246    

For the first part of the year Foreman was very good at everything not involving shooting the actual ball. Then as the year progressed he got better and more efficient in that area as well.
mrjames
Professor
Posts 6062
03-07-18 02:11 PM - Post#251248    

AJ wasn't on the ballot. Was Foreman for Penn.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3584
03-07-18 02:15 PM - Post#251250    

Then I am surprised Bell won and not Bassey. Tells me Bassey and Foreman split the vote allowing Bell to take it.
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8220
Streamers
03-07-18 02:47 PM - Post#251258    

Dies anyone really think they got it wrong this year overall?
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3050
03-07-18 03:20 PM - Post#251268    

Women's All-Ivy was released early this afternoon

http://ivyleaguesports.com/news/2018/3/7/womens- ba...

Player of the Year: Bella Alarie (Princeton)
Defensive Player of the Year: Tamara Simpson (Yale) - second straight year winning this award
Rookie of the Year: Eleah Parker (Penn) - unanimous selection
Coach of the Year: Courtney Banghart (Princeton)

First Team (Expanded due to ties in voting):
Bella Alarie (Princeton)
Katie Benzan (Harvard) - unanimous selection
Jen Berkowitz (Yale)
Michelle Nwokedi (Penn)
Leslie Robinson (Princeton)
Camille Zimmerman (Columbia)

Second Team (Expanded due to ties in voting):
Jeannie Boehm (Harvard)
Kate Letkiewicz (Dartmouth)
Shayna Mehta (Brown)
Eleah Parker (Penn)
Taylor Rooks (Harvard)
Anna Ross (Penn)
Tamara Simpson (Yale)

Honorable Mention:
Justine Gaziano (Brown)
Roxy Barahman (Yale)

Not much to argue with that expanded list.

I understand why Courtney Banghart won the Coach of the Year Award, but I'm disappointed that Coach Koclanes or Coach Guth did not win it. Princeton brought a very good team into the season, and although picked as the #2 team, it was only by nine points over Penn. She also had two of the league's best players and a very good recruiting class.

Coach Koclanes took a team that finished 3-11 (8-19) to 7-7 (15-12) with wins over Vermont, BC, New Hampshire, Colorado (road), Holy Cross (road), Harvard and Yale (road). Her team was picked a distant 8th this year and she managed to exceed expectations while giving the reigns to a junior point guard with limited experience.

Coach Guth's team finished in 6th place last year, but finished the season strong. They were also the only team to beat Penn last year. This year, they did return Berkowitz and Simpson, but they had to incorporate a number of inexperienced sophomores and first-years. They had good wins over TCU (road), Princeton and Harvard, while almost beating Kansas and Indiana. They ended the year as the #4 team in the Tournament.

While Brown's surprising collapsed following Taylor Will's injury may have given new life to Yale and Dartmouth, both coaches did a lot with more limited rosters than the Tigers. Last year Sarah Behn exceeded expectations with a inexperienced Bears' team, but Mike McLaughlin won the award. It seems really difficult for the other 5 coaches to break into the top 3 in terms of records and recognition.

I actually made a mistake in my list and should have placed Taylor Rooks as a 2nd team member. I was surprised to see Jeannie Boehm as a second team member. She is a very good player and her recovery from a knee injury late in the Penn game was a big part of their subsequent sweep of Penn & Princeton a few weeks later. I just thought that Rooks was the better and more consistent front court player and I thought Sydney Skinner would get more support.

I also thought that Justine Gaziano was ahead of Shayna Mehta. Both are big time scorers, but Mehta's efficiency suffered after Taylor Will suffered her season ending knee injury.

In the end, all were deserving recipients and there were even a few more good players who did not make it onto the list.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6404
03-08-18 12:56 AM - Post#251349    

I don’t think there is any question that the staff thinks Foreman is the best perimeter defender on the team — he takes the best perimeter offensive player most of the time. Woods is stronger and thicker, so he can handle Towns (sort of), while Foreman can’t, but conversely you almost never see Woods guard the point, presumably because Foreman is better able to handle quickness. I also th8nk, particularly as the season went on, the eye test favors Foreman defensively as well.

So for me, Brodeur would have been first choice for DPOY from Penn, and Foreman 2nd.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3584
03-08-18 02:17 AM - Post#251351    

The Penn coaches are telling us Foreman is their best defensive player. I would be willing to bet Brodeur isn’t their second pick either.
weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2137
03-08-18 10:27 AM - Post#251362    

From what I've seen, Brodeur is the team's best interior help defender. That's how he's gotten a majority of his blocked shots.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6404
03-08-18 09:29 PM - Post#251467    

Yes, I think this running debate between PF10 and me is at its core a debate about what makes a great defender.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3584
03-09-18 12:38 AM - Post#251476    

That may well be, but we can agree that Darnell Foreman and AJ are very different defenders and both very good (since the coaches nominated Foreman for DPOY). Add Max and Antonio, who also have different skill sets and are great defenders, and you have a solid defensive team.

So we aren't really arguing that Foreman or AJ are not great defenders are we? Foreman can do things as an onball defender that AJ can't do and AJ can do things (rim protection) Foreman doesn't do. Similarly Max is different from AJ, not necessarily better or worse, different. I value the versatility Max and Antonio bring being able to guard 4-5 positions on the floor, and then I value rim protection. You value rim protection over all.

Nothing wrong with that.
weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2137
03-09-18 02:57 PM - Post#251564    

I absolutely agree with you. I wasn't trying to make any sort of value judgment about the players' individual skills; the team needs all of those guys to bring what they do to the table in order for the defense to be successful.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.36 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:08 AM