Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Stone Gettings graduating early
hoopsfan
Masters Student
Posts 642
05-14-18 05:53 PM - Post#256774    

Ryan Silver
‏@RyanSilver1
4 hours ago

More
Cornell senior Stone Gettings will graduate early. Will have 1 full year of eligibility as a graduate transfer. 6 9 shooter is a STUD.
1 reply

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3044
05-14-18 09:19 PM - Post#256778    

That's a huge disappointment!

Gettings really grew as a player and leader under Coach Earl.

First year (under Bill Courntey)
28 games (0 starts), 2.1 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.1 apg, and 9.5 mpg

Second year (fist year under Brian Earl)
29 games (29 starts), 12.4 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.97 apg, and 25.6 mpg

Third year (second year under Brian Earl)
28 games (24 starts), 16.7 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 2.86 apg, and 26.8 mpg. 2nd team All-Ivy.

I assumed that Gettings was going to play at Cornell next year and Morgan would be the one saving his last year of eligibility. This news, plus Morgan's tweet from the time he declared for the draft, makes me think that he is not coming back for next season if he withdraws from the NBA draft.

Losing one of their Big Two would be tough. Losing both really would be a huge hit for the team heading into next season.

GoBigGreenBasketball
Masters Student
Posts 805
05-14-18 09:45 PM - Post#256781    

Is this a trend...just like Boudreaux. Talent is always looking for the next challenge, winning matters. The bottom half of the Ivy gotta read the tea leaves.
"...no excuses - only results!”

whitakk
Masters Student
Posts 523
05-14-18 11:12 PM - Post#256788    

I think I'd have Cornell last in the league right now even with Morgan.
TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
05-15-18 10:20 AM - Post#256798    

• GoBigGreenBasketball Said:
Is this a trend...just like Boudreaux. Talent is always looking for the next challenge, winning matters. The bottom half of the Ivy gotta read the tea leaves.

Agree. This is a disturbing trend. Would hate if the bottom half of the league becomes a talent feeder with good players staying for 2-3 years to get their degrees and then transfer.

mountainred
Masters Student
Posts 510
05-15-18 11:51 AM - Post#256807    

• rbg Said:
That's a huge disappointment!

Gettings really grew as a player and leader under Coach Earl.

First year (under Bill Courntey)
28 games (0 starts), 2.1 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.1 apg, and 9.5 mpg

Second year (fist year under Brian Earl)
29 games (29 starts), 12.4 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 2.97 apg, and 25.6 mpg

Third year (second year under Brian Earl)
28 games (24 starts), 16.7 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 2.86 apg, and 26.8 mpg. 2nd team All-Ivy.

I assumed that Gettings was going to play at Cornell next year and Morgan would be the one saving his last year of eligibility. This news, plus Morgan's tweet from the time he declared for the draft, makes me think that he is not coming back for next season if he withdraws from the NBA draft.

Losing one of their Big Two would be tough. Losing both really would be a huge hit for the team heading into next season.

Gettings was made for Earl's offense, almost as much as he was mismatched for what Bill wanted to do.

Earl's acid test was going to be what he could do without Matt and Stone; it's here one year early. This could be a very long season.

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3044
05-17-18 08:45 AM - Post#256905    

According to Gettings' former AAU coach, he is getting interest from Arizona, Cal, Stanford, Washington, Washington State, Auburn, Mississippi, Texas Tech, Hawaii and UCSB.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball/2018/5/16...
FLBB
Freshman
Posts 41
05-19-18 02:53 PM - Post#257041    

Can't really blame him. Without Morgan the roster more closely resembles an upper level DIII than a DI team.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3044
07-12-18 09:02 AM - Post#258732    

Gettings is getting some attention from Arizona -

https://zonazealots.com/2018/07/11/arizona-ba sketb...
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3044
07-17-18 08:53 AM - Post#258976    

On Monday, Gettings committed to Arizona. In the end, he went with the Wildcats over Stanford or Vanderbilt.

He will graduate this December and head to Arizona in the spring semester to practice with the team. He will then start playing for them in the fall of 2019.

Best of luck!

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/re cruitin...

- “Stone is a versatile four, five with a high skill level," the assistant said. "Cornell ran their entire offense through him from the high post and top of the key with his ability to pass and shoot. He was a matchup nightmare because of his perimeter skill at 6-9 in the Ivy League. He can really stretch the floor out to the three-point line but is athletic enough to go by and finish at the rim. He should be a really good contributor at Arizona either as a starter or first big off the bench”. -

- "I think overall I bring a lot to the table in term of versatility and leadership," Gettings said. "I think I can do a lot with my style of play, being a versatile big. I assisted well and shot the ball well and I’ve proven that I get better every day. I’ve shown that I can play at this level. I’m really excited to prove that on a bigger stage and provide some leadership and mentorship in practice. I'm going to work my tail off and hope to help inspire the rest of the team." -

http://arizonasports.com/story/1601608/arizona -bas...

https://arizona.rivals.com/news/cornell-grad-tra ns...

- "The Ivy League is kind of weird," he said about how he fits on the floor. "They don't have posts in the traditional sense. They have stretch fives. I am a traditional four. I am more than a pick and pop four. I'm good at getting others shots. I can handle the ball, and shoot the three. I have a good mid post and low post game. I can pick and pop, and pick and roll. I bring lots of versatility." -

Silver Maple
Postdoc
Posts 3765
07-17-18 09:36 AM - Post#258981    

He can pick and pop AND pick and roll? That's amazing!

And remember, as George Carlin used to say, "You can pick your friends...."
FLBB
Freshman
Posts 41
07-17-18 09:14 PM - Post#259069    

Good for Gettings: Ivy league degree, one less semester to pay for, masters degree paid for & he gets to play on a much bigger stage.... bad for Cornell, Princeton offense is most effective with a post player with Gettings' skill set.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4894
07-20-18 01:18 AM - Post#259191    

He can really pass. That will be important for the Cats, who I'm sure will bring lots of scorers to the floor.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3044
01-02-19 09:47 AM - Post#270798    

Gettings is done with finals, completed his degree and has officially moved to Arizona.

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat s/basketba...

- First, he opened a Christmas present: Cornell grad transfer forward Stone Gettings was cleared to begin practices for the Wildcats on Tuesday, giving the Wildcats some much-needed skills and size behind the scenes even though he will not play this season. -

- Gettings won’t be able to help with either of those items during games this season, since Miller says there’s no chance he’ll play this season even though he’s eligible immediately as a grad transfer.

But the second-team all-Ivy pick should help sharpen his new teammates in practice with a combination of skills, size and experience. Gettings averaged 16.7 points, 6.6 rebounds and 2.9 assists for the Big Red.

“We’re excited about being able to add him to what we do,” Miller said. “He’s a very skilled player. He can shoot the ball. Initially here, I think he’ll establish right away that he doesn’t take a back seat to really anybody on our team when it comes to shooting.

“He also loves the game. It’s fun to coach guys who love the game because they’re always working and they’re always trying to get better, and I think Stone is that type of kid.”

Because Gettings is technically eligible to play right away as a grad transfer, he is also eligible to travel with the Wildcats. That gives Arizona the chance to keep a full set of players on hand for road practices, which is especially helpful on longer trips such as the Wildcats’ upcoming Bay Area road swing, when the UA will play Stanford on Jan. 9 but not until Jan. 12 at Cal.

“I think it’s a big shot in the arm to add a quality player, especially a front-line player, who can help us every day,” Miller said. That “not only helps Stone for the future, but also helps this year’s team.”

A 6-foot-9 forward from Malibu, Calif., Gettings played for the same West Coast Elite travel ball program that featured UA signees Nico Mannion and Josh Green in recent summers.

Gettings played three seasons for Cornell, stayed in Ithaca, N.Y., during the fall to work toward his early graduation and then moved to Arizona.

By sitting out this season, Gettings will have an entire year of eligibility remaining for 2019-20, when the Wildcats will need him up front. -

- Arizona didn’t make Gettings or any other players available for comment Tuesday, but Gettings told the Cornell Sun last May that he decided to graduate early “to save myself a ton of money and have another year to play somewhere else.” Ivy League players can only receive need-based aid, not athletic scholarships.

Gettings chose Arizona in July, then joined the Wildcats over the holiday break and watched several practices first.

Miller said Gettings had to go through several medical tests before he was cleared to practice starting Tuesday.

Miller said Gettings will be limited initially while he learns the Wildcats’ system but will be able to help immediately on the scout team this weekend, mimicking Colorado and Utah frontcourt players. -
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3044
01-23-19 09:13 AM - Post#273382    

- You could trace Stone Gettings’ arrival at Arizona this semester to his Southern California roots, connections with former Wildcats and his late-blooming talent.

But that’s not where it all started. That happened inside the Cornell University financial aid office, one day before Gettings’ junior season as a standout forward for the Big Red.

Gettings had already taken loans to cover $5,000-$10,000 of his required contribution during his first two seasons at the Ivy League school, which does not offer athletic scholarships. He was asked to contribute three times as much for his junior year.

A confused Gettings was told the problem was that his sister had just graduated from George Washington, so his shrinking financial aid package was now based on his family having just one kid to pay for instead of two.

Gettings said his sister had been on a full rowing scholarship, so nothing ever changed in his ability to pay.

“They weren’t too sympathetic,” he said.

But as his junior year went on, Gettings realized he was far enough along toward his degree in applied economics and management that he could graduate in three-and-a-half years. -

- “They really care about you here,” Gettings said. “At Cornell, I would cook for myself. Here, they make sure you have two or three great meals every day to make sure you’re getting proper nutrition. At Cornell, I would have a rebounder come and get me occasionally (for shooting practice), whereas here if I want to shoot they have three.”

“It’s ridiculous,” he added, smiling. “I feel bad using everybody like that. But they really just give you everything you need.”

Gettings said UA staffers also recently fitted him with insoles to help make sure his feet avoid trouble. Basketball conditioning coach Chris Rounds is already working with Gettings to improve his athleticism and get his body fat down to 5 percent.

“We’re really getting after it,” Gettings said. “I’m just making sure I can be a threat to score when I get the ball on the wing, and also posting up.” -
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4894
01-23-19 08:50 PM - Post#273426    

That's really interesting--"big-time basketball at work. I think I read something from Makai Mason saying that there was a similar difference at Baylor (and dismissing the academics there as "busywork").
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32685
01-24-19 02:30 PM - Post#273466    

Except that the area around Tuscon is beautiful and the area around Waco is not (although it is not too far from Austin)
mountainred
Masters Student
Posts 510
01-24-19 05:57 PM - Post#273478    

I don't think I knew how much Stone grew in high school: "Gettings entered Loyola High School as 5-foot-9-inch surfer from Malibu who also had interest in football, basketball and water polo."

If the story is true, thanks financial aid department!
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2261
1LotteryPick1969
01-25-19 07:08 AM - Post#273500    

Thanks for the links.

Earl must have been irate.

Love the better food, three rebounders for shooting, and custom orthotics.

Shouldn't all these guys have custom orthotics? I bought them for myself for recreational skiing. Not that expensive. I'm sure a podiatrist in town would fit the entire team for some advertising space in the gym. Or does the NCAA frown on that?
mountainred
Masters Student
Posts 510
01-25-19 09:45 AM - Post#273503    

• 1LotteryPick1969 Said:
Thanks for the links.

Earl must have been irate.

Love the better food, three rebounders for shooting, and custom orthotics.

If that is the help he is getting from financial aid, no wonder Earl is struggling on the recruiting trail. I support the wrestling team, but somehow I doubt Yianni is getting treated that way.

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3044
05-07-19 04:37 PM - Post#284273    

Gettings mentioned the problem he had with Cornell's financial aid as one factor for him to graduate early and find another program.

Today's Cornell Daily Sun looks at the problem that the school is having with financial aid.

https://cornellsun.com/2019/05/07/loans-at-c ornell...

Having a weaker financial aid policy than most, or all, of the other schools in the Ivy League certainly makes it tougher to recruit.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3580
10-01-19 01:39 PM - Post#288114    

Gettings played in the Arizona Red and Blue Scrimmage and had 10pts and 4 reb (4-5 FG, 2-2 3pt) in 20 minutes of tick.

He also set the program record for the mile run in 5:14

FLBB
Freshman
Posts 41
12-14-19 11:23 PM - Post#294669    

I see he is averaging 13 minutes and 5 pts a game so far. Looks ;like he is about their 9th man.
mountainred
Masters Student
Posts 510
12-15-19 02:21 PM - Post#294690    

He's been out all month with a concussion.
weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2125
12-15-19 09:46 PM - Post#294696    

He got 9 minutes against Penn in the Wooden Legends tournament over Thanksgiving weekend. One point, two boards, a foul and a turnover.
mountainred
Masters Student
Posts 510
12-16-19 07:32 PM - Post#294737    

• weinhauers_ghost Said:
He got 9 minutes against Penn in the Wooden Legends tournament over Thanksgiving weekend. One point, two boards, a foul and a turnover.

I think it was you guys who hurt him!
weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2125
12-18-19 01:34 PM - Post#294814    

• mountainred Said:
  • weinhauers_ghost Said:

I think it was you guys who hurt him!

Familiarity breeds pain.
FLBB
Freshman
Posts 41
01-19-20 09:46 AM - Post#297071    

Stone has started the past two games for UA, fairly pedestrian stats.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3044
06-12-20 09:09 AM - Post#308932    

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat s/arizonas...

- Arizona Wildcats basketball forward Stone Gettings and track and field runner Tatum Waggoner were named recipients of the Pac-12's Tom Hansen Conference Medal on Thursday, which honors a male and female student-athlete who achieved athletic, academic and leadership success in 2019-20. -

- A graduate transfer from Cornell, Gettings studied accounting and entrepreneurship at Eller School of Management and maintained a 4.0 GPA. Gettings, who appeared in 27 games for the Wildcats and averaged 6.6 points per game, was a part of the Pac-12 Student-Athlete Advisory Council (SAAC) and received CoSIDA Academic All-America honors.

Following the 2020 season, Gettings became Arizona's first-ever recipient of Pac-12 Scholar Athlete of the Year as a men's basketball player. He's also the fourth UA men's basketball player to receive the Hansen Conference Medal, joining Dusan Ristic (2018), Channing Frye ('05), Joe Nehls ('80). -

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.671 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:24 PM