Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Print Topic

Username Post: vs. Fordham at RoseHill in The Bronx, Nov.18
AntiUngvar
Masters Student
Posts 530
11-18-18 09:07 PM - Post#266296    

Chet, Intent. & Sixty-six:
Eagles certainly had time outs remaining. There were TV timeout and Fordham timeout stoppages during this game, but none requested by Columbia- no full time outs or 30" CU time outs were taken. In fact, I'm willing to bet that Eagles doesn't even know that in the last minute of NCAA play, the clock stops on all made baskets, and restarts only when the ball is touched by a player on the court, during the ensuing throw in. Fordham made a three point goal with 8 seconds left- could be Eagles thought he could practically run the clock out following the made Fordham 3; in actuality, he had five seconds to think about requesting that time out- 5 seconds during which the clock wasn't moving. By whatever means we wish to explain or spin it- your team plays 3 games in 46 hours, call a freakin' time out with eight seconds remaining to get everybody on the same page, and to ensure that all five men are where you want them to be against the Fordham pressure.
I'd also say that Columbia may be an underprepared team, though not a jinxed team. BTW, can one believe in KP and jinxes during the same lifetime? CU's not jinxed-I was really impressed, in fact, that Columbia dominated the boards, for once (39-27) as a visiting team
Lastly, everybody has to understand that Game Stefanini has a huge upside potential- he's a 19 year old kid dealing with a host of cultural/ academic issues- on top of being a first time, starting member of a men's D-1 basketball team. Why not give him the same leeway you've afforded Mr. Smith?
Ordinarily, I'd be tempted to pound on Mike for his shooting of the past 2 games- only 7 for 24 and 0 for 6 from outside the arc; but he only committed 1 turnover today in 35 minutes of play; and through it all, he regularly makes his free throws, including 2 against Fordham with 13 seconds left that should have iced the game. And I must temper my remarks, given the knowledge that Engles kept Smith on the court for 102 minutes, beginning at 8:45pmon Friday night, and continuing till this evening at 6:35pm-
given that, I'm grateful that Smith was even able to make it back to Morningside Heights under his own powers. it really could have been much worse.

Print Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.106 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:04 AM