Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: George Washington
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
12-01-18 06:44 PM - Post#267744    

Up 10 with 7 minutes left, but can’t put it away. Too much one on one by Stephens.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3634
12-01-18 07:01 PM - Post#267745    

Nice win! It was like watching a totally different team today -- energy on defense, organized on offense, and they didn't just rely on Cannady to bail them out. Still some bad stretches, but that's to be expected this early in the season.

Desrosiers flashed some of that promise he showed us as a frosh. Still waiting on Much who looked like a future All-Ivy in non-conf last year. Morales also had a really nice recovery game after a tough time against Maine. GW's zone constantly left the middle open for Stephens, where he missed few, then hit a few. Hopefully his shooting slump is ending.

St. Joe's probably wins easily on Wednesday, but the guys are slowly finding their confidence. I just really, really want to see Llewellyn play a few games. This team could actually be a force to be reckoned with in conference play if he can at least break down a defense off the dribble.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
12-01-18 07:30 PM - Post#267746    

Tigers are up to four players that can play consistently well including Arirguzoh and Morales. When Jaelin can play, he will be an upgrade over Morales and it may change the mix as to the fifth starter based on the style of play between Jaelin and Morales. The fifth player will probably come out of Schweiger, DesRosiers or Much. It seems like Mitch likes Schwieger the most because he can pass the ball -- DesRosiers and especially Much based on his HS rating have been very dissapointing.. Johns will be a defender when needed.

Gladson in in sweats with an injury once again but Llewellyn is supposedely going to be back shortly.

Cannady was off tonight making only 3 out of 7 three pointers -- only took 11 shots. Stephens certainly played better.

GW is a very poor shooting team. If the Tigers play a non-athletic team or poor shooting team, they can win but it will be a challenge against an athletic team that can shoot.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2262
1LotteryPick1969
12-01-18 09:56 PM - Post#267760    

• bradley Said:

Gladson in in sweats with an injury

Cannady was off tonight making only 3 out of 7 three pointers -- only took 11 shots. Stephens certainly played better.

Mazzulla was dogging Cannady relentlessly.

The big turning point was the technical on Langarica.

Aririguzoh had to play a lot of minutes without Gladson as backup.

No one wanted to take a 3 except Cannady, which is a problem when Cannady can't get open.

Morales played under control for the most part.

Schwieger really likes to back down smaller guards.

We really need Gladson and Llewellyn.
Eric Von Zipper
Senior
Posts 343
12-01-18 11:11 PM - Post#267767    

St' Joe's has lost 4 of its last 5.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2262
1LotteryPick1969
12-02-18 08:30 AM - Post#267774    

This was my first trip to the renovated Jadwin.

(Miller and Weisz were courtside. I tried to buy courtside seats, but they would not sell them at that time.)

The new seats are comfy, but far fewer of them--the only seats available to non-season ticket holders when I bought them a month ago were on the north side, western quadrant. South side and half of the north side are sold out. I sat right where I sat as a student.

The new scoreboard is nice for video, but it is mounted very high; one must definitely tilt the head up to see it. And not much info is displayed except current score, time outs left, and total fouls. Individual foul totals are not displayed. Video replays are very high quality, and the light show intro to start the game is fun.

Having pondered the game overnight, I think the puzzle to me is the near disappearance of Much and Desrosier. We need more three point shooters. Stephens short-armed his only three point shot.

bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
12-02-18 09:48 AM - Post#267778    

I agree that Much and DesRosiers performances y-t-d are the single biggest dissapointments of the year so far other than Llewellyn's injury. Considering their pedigree, they both look lost on the court. Much is a "tweener". He has better basketball sense and savvy vs. DesRosiers but he has not yet developed although still young. Schwieger is filling in the void and getting more minutes over time. For the Tigers to compete against good teams, either Much or DesRosiers need to perform at a much higher level. With Cannady, Stephens, Llewellyn and Arirguzoh on the floor, Mitch should go with the best defender/rebounder who can hit an occassional three. Not sure if he has one on the roster at this time.

Myles will have his biggest challenge of the season when he goes against 6'7" St. Joe's Charlie Brown. Mitch claims Myles is a borderline NBA defender but we will see when he goes against a 23.5 scorer who can do it all while giving up 2 to 3 inches. St. Joe's has four very good offensive players who can score a lot of points but are not great defenders plus they have a weak bench. Not a great match up for the Tigers but they have a prayer with homecourt - I think.
AntiUngvar
Masters Student
Posts 530
12-02-18 03:43 PM - Post#267813    

Brad:
I wouldn't want you to start praying just yet-not when you've got three Catholic school opponents on a row between now and Saturday, December 15 (Sts. Joseph's John's and Iona). If I were you, I hold off on religious ritual till the game in Durham- December 18 at Duke!

SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4894
12-03-18 01:29 AM - Post#267839    

More from Much, who's become very tentative, would be great. Schwieger seems like a good traditional Princeton player who is stranded in the new assist-free offensive scheme. At one point Cannady actually hit him with a pass in the middle of the GW zone and he was so surprised he turned it over. Still, he used his size well and managed to work in a couple of decent passes. Loved seeing Aririguzoh stay out of foul trouble and remain productive.

I don't think Morales is getting the love he deserves--his ball pressure and steals on return passes have been critical to the Tigers' defensive performance so far. Their lead was all the way down to three points in the second half, GW was rolling with its coach pumping his fist, when Morales picked off a pass and went in for the layup. That broke the Colonials' momentum and from there Princeton pulled steadily away. Obviously Llewelyn needs to get plenty of run to find out what he's really got, but it would be a mistake to remove Morales from the rotation unless Llewelyn can provide comparable ball pressure and steals.

I am very happy that Princeton is playing multiple zones and matchup zones to complement the man-to-man. It seemed to throw GW off as it has previous opponents and they've looked more comfortable and consistent playing those defenses.

Hope Gladson recovers soon. The guy has had pretty bad luck with injuries and his minutes as a big guy are likely to be useful down the road against teams with a lot of post presence.

It was pretty special watching Cannady score on the business end of an alley-oop. I'm not sure, but I don't think he's missed a FT yet this season either.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2262
1LotteryPick1969
12-03-18 08:17 AM - Post#267846    

• SRP Said:

I don't think Morales is getting the love he deserves

I am very happy that Princeton is playing multiple zones and matchup zones to complement the man-to-man. It seemed to throw GW off

I agree Morales is doing a fine job as backup except....he won't shoot the 3. No one on the team will shoot the 3 except DC3. And I understand why, after all the early season bricks. But GW showed you can put your best defender on Cannady and keep him from dominating the game.

The final score does not show how close the game actually was. GW got within 3, then went down 10 quickly. They were dominating the paint when Aririguzoh rested. But at that point they panicked. The GW coach has very little experience. He was assistant and took over after Lonergan was fired three years ago. Also, GW was missing two starters, including I believe, their point guard.

So I think better teams will let Cannady take his shots, and even mediocre teams will be able to hang close by dogging him.

The matchup zone looks good on the ball, but the weak side is wide open. GW just can't shoot.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4894
12-03-18 02:50 PM - Post#267890    

Good point about GW being down a few key players. I wouldn't have put much forecasting stock into this win anyway--they've only won one game so far.

I saw Morales pass up a grand total of two outside shots in the game. Admittedly he isn't maneuvering out there hunting for looks, but the offense just isn't generating a lot of kick-outs or skip passes to an open shooter. Lots of standing around and iso play, which does not fill me with joy, but worked OK against the Colonials. It won't against teams with better defenders. (Even Much and Derosier, who gunned a lot from three last year, have taken few from outside.)

Meanwhile when the game got close in the second half, Morales was the player who turned the tide with a steal and breakaway layup. His harassment and steals accounted for bad possessions for GW all game. Plus he provided some dribble penetration, including a drive right through a set zone defense using a nifty Euro-step.

GW missed a few open threes last night but they weren't able to get that many good looks from outside. Open guys are harder to find when the ball-handler is under more duress and when occasionally a pass to a guy who looks open gets deflected or intercepted. I do agree that an opponent with better PG play or better overall passing would have found some good looks last night. But the man-to-man has left a lot of perimeter shooters open as well because of its vulnerability to dribble penetration, plus opponents have gotten to the rim and drawn fouls. The Tigers need to keep working on their man defense, but they'll have to keep mixing it up.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2262
1LotteryPick1969
12-03-18 07:02 PM - Post#267909    

I wasn't counting open looks by Morales--I was watching his eyes the second half when they were at my end of the court--an old habit for me when I played. I saw zero interest in shooting, which enables the defender to sag a bit.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
12-04-18 09:05 AM - Post#267924    

Other than Monmouth when he played somewhat out of control, Morales has been a big plus on offense and especially defense with his steals and "spirit". His offensive game of penetration primarily benefits Arirgozoh vs. Cannady as he passes within the interior for easy lay ups. It does not appear that he has a great 3 pt stroke but too early to tell plus his height works against him as to getting off shots. I have a feeling that he may have more turnovers when he plays against long, athletic arms due to his height -- Tigers will continue to be pressed as they are experiencing somne challanges in getting ball over the midcourt line. I would be very surprised if Jaelin is not a significantly better player as he is after all one of the all time IL recruits. Morales as a back up to Cannady and Jaelin and occassionally a third guard solidifies Princeton's backcourt for this year assuming that Jaelin returns for IL season. It is good that he is a Junior.

Arirguzoh gets more playing time and he deserves it. He is no longer just pure athletitic but is adding skill to his game. How will he do against Lewis, Bruner and Brodeur -- time will tell but it will be far more challenging. Gladson and Much are back ups and to date, no great shakes although give Gladson the edge.

St. Joe's will get in the Tigers faces and press them on D. The real problem is that St. Joe's can shoot and watch out for Charlie Brown and Kimbe plus Funk killed them last year with 7 out of 8 3 pointers at 6'9".

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.768 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:49 PM