Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Pennsylvania
Eric Von Zipper
Senior
Posts 343
01-01-19 12:14 PM - Post#270728    

Expecting the opening line noon Friday.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4919
01-01-19 04:00 PM - Post#270750    

So weird having the big rivalry games at the beginning of the season. It would seem fitting if the two teams could meet in the IL tournament, an ironic restoration of tradition by that which destroyed it.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4919
01-01-19 04:07 PM - Post#270751    

As to what this game will look like, I have no idea. Still hard to get a fix on this edition of the Tigers, and Penn has ranged from terrific (mostly) to pretty bad (lately). But as a fan I'm visualizing a night of hot three-point shooting for Princeton and scrappy defensive play leading to a solid home win.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-01-19 05:53 PM - Post#270762    

Good question as to what to expect. I visualize an incredibly hard and well played women's game at 2pm perhaps better quality play than the men's game at 5pm. Probably the two best women's IL players will square off st 6'4" centers to determine outcome. Edge goes to Tigers -- homecourt, Alarie and most importantly Banghart.

Crowd will probably be sparse as the game means less in the past plus students do not return until Sunday and the Princeton community is somewhat indifferent. Unfortunately, there will be a fair number of visitors from the "City of Brotherly Love". The scheduling of these games partially due to IvyMadness is "madness" in keeping with the concept of the year-end tournament.

As to the men's game, who knows? My guess is that Arirguzoh and Brodeur will be a key match up and it would be helpful if Gladson returns if the ref calls it tight. It will also be interesting if Woods guards Cannady or Llewellyn. Also, the dynamics will change for the Tigers -- small team vs large team dependent on status of Rotschild and Wang. Tigers can go either way but they need DesRosier abd/or Much to play well to go large. Good be a coaching battle and Donahue is impressive.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
01-01-19 06:49 PM - Post#270771    

I imagine Woods will start on Cannady (more physical) but would not be surprised if he gets switched to the hot shot rookie if needed.

Goodman certainly has the speed to keep up with Llwellyn, if not as solid all around on D as Woods.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6415
01-01-19 06:52 PM - Post#270772    

I’m the opposite. I think Goodman has Cannady. Foreman had him last year.

Is Stephens playing? That’s the other question defensively. Woods could actually end up on him as well, if no Rothschild/Wang.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
01-01-19 07:06 PM - Post#270773    

I feel like Goodman would not be physical enough for someone like Cannady.

Washington is the real wild card here. He has decent size and speed here but he will have to up his game to defend either one of those two guards. It's a tall task for a freshman.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
01-01-19 07:07 PM - Post#270774    

Didn't Woods guard Stephens last year?
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2277
1LotteryPick1969
01-01-19 08:47 PM - Post#270780    

• bradley Said:

Crowd will probably be sparse as the game means less in the past plus students do not return until Sunday and the Princeton community is somewhat indifferent.

Ticket sales look pretty good--lower section essentially sold out. Granted there are far fewer seats in the remodeled plan.
Albert08
Masters Student
Posts 574
01-01-19 09:03 PM - Post#270781    

I have been told by a well-informed friend that the '68-69 team that went 14-0 to win the Ivy title will be honored on Saturday, either before the game or at half-time. If so, it hasn't been marketed well, as I cannot find any mention on the website. I understand most of the players will be back, including Chris Thomforde, John Hummer, Geoff Petrie, et al.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3590
01-01-19 09:43 PM - Post#270783    

• penn nation Said:

No. Max guarded Stephens in both games. Foreman was on Cannaday. Woods guarded Bell.

AntiUngvar
Masters Student
Posts 530
01-01-19 10:51 PM - Post#270786    

• PennFan10 Said:
  • penn nation Said:

No. Max guarded Stephens in both games. Foreman was on Cannaday. Woods guarded Bell.

If Penn had this guy on their bench yesterday, they'd have pulled it out.

Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2818
01-01-19 10:55 PM - Post#270787    

I didn’t have much hope for this game until Az State and Penn’s collapse due to numerous key injuries. It is a shame that these two games are so early when Penn is not at full strength and Princeton hasn’t fully established its rotation.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6415
01-01-19 11:35 PM - Post#270789    

Is physicality really the thing with Cannady? You’ve got to be able to chase him around more than anything. Foreman was effective because he was beating him to his spots. And because Cannady was hurt the second game and just a little slower than usual.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-02-19 09:25 AM - Post#270796    

Cannady's repertoire has been expanded this year. The solution is no longer just chasing him around the floor as he added moves to the basket and mid-range shots. In addition, he can lull you to sleep for 1/2 second from 23 feet out and make 3 point shots.

The one guy and only one guy who gave him fits was Duke's Barrett, a premier defender, who is also 6'7" tall. Coach K knew that Cannady was the guy that he had to stop and he put Barrett on him. Not only did Barrett chase him around the court with tremendous quickness/willpower but the the biggest equalizer was LONG ARMS and being 6'7". Barrett took away good 3 pt shots from Cannady on that day, 2-10. Otherwise, Devin has found good enough looks against every team although his 3 pt shooting percentage has tailed off from the start of the season.

Probably, the best bet for a team is send your most athletic defender against him with longer arms and insturctions not to foul but simply pray that he does not shoot lights out. On a typical night, Devin will get his shots and points but probably the key is to stop everyone else that-- is why Llewellyn needs to step up and have a strong game for the Tigers. 3 pt shooters like Devin can have great and not so great shooting nights but realistically he is a 40-45% 3 pt shooter and he has gotten better like fine wine.

AntiUngvar
Masters Student
Posts 530
01-02-19 11:08 AM - Post#270801    

• bradley Said:
Coach K knew that Cannady was the guy that he had to stop

Unfortunately there was nobody that K had to stop that night in Durham. His feint praise of Cannady was totally self serving; and were K even remotely a sportsman, he'd have sat ALL of his starters that evening for good, and very early in the second half!

SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4919
01-02-19 03:01 PM - Post#270823    

The Duke coach was not being insincere and the proposal that he call off the dogs is condescending.
AntiUngvar
Masters Student
Posts 530
01-02-19 05:43 PM - Post#270844    

I am not looking to change your mind; but I believe it's all the more true in amateur sports; that there's a need to know when the event is over, and Williamson was on the court well past the time the game was over- not to mention that he could have suffered injury, as well.

Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2818
01-02-19 05:47 PM - Post#270845    

I have to wonder what sort of a curriculum is required of a “one and done”. Is it even possible for him to be declared academically ineligible?
AntiUngvar
Masters Student
Posts 530
01-02-19 06:00 PM - Post#270849    

Only by screwing up terribly in the fall semester. Once a student- athlete successfully navigates through his first semester, all bets are off. By the time it's revealed that he failed all of his spring courses, he'll probably have already signed his first contract with the Knicks! It's really more a case of one SEMESTER and done.

Eric Von Zipper
Senior
Posts 343
01-02-19 07:40 PM - Post#270865    

The Daily Pennsylvanian doesn't like the scheduling.

https://www.thedp.com/article/2019/01/landa u-penn-...
AntiUngvar
Masters Student
Posts 530
01-02-19 08:42 PM - Post#270873    

They may be changing their tune come Sunday morning.

bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-03-19 07:15 PM - Post#271018    

Very cool. It will great to see the "boys".

Although Saturday's game is important, it is one of 14 games that will determine if a team qualifies for IvyMadness. It is somewhat more important as it is a home game but it is not the defining moment in the season -- win or lose.

If the Tigers lose which is certainly possible, they will need to regroup and get ready for the next game. Only one victory or only one loss.

As fans, I hope that we do not melt down similar to what is going with our friends south of Princeton.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4919
01-03-19 08:12 PM - Post#271022    

Hopefully not a contingency we will face. I might melt down a bit if the Tigers play badly and get blown out, but my emergency core cooling system should kick in before any serious damage occurs.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
01-03-19 08:18 PM - Post#271023    

If Max and Mike are not available, I don't think you'll need to worry about any blowouts. In fact, you'll probably have a good shot to win.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-03-19 08:41 PM - Post#271025    

Looking at ESPN and Real Time RPI, it looks like a 50/50 game indeed. I suspect that the Tigers have gained some confidence and momentum off the ASU win but injuries will certainly have an impact. Finally, does Cannady's 3 pointers find the net. Should be fun.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
01-03-19 09:06 PM - Post#271030    

• bradley Said:
Finally, does Cannady's 3 pointers find the net.

If they doesn't, we be winning.

TigerFan
PhD Student
Posts 1892
01-03-19 09:09 PM - Post#271033    

I like the Tigers chances if they cut and pass the ball well on offense and play tough defense. If they revert to dribbling into trouble, throwing the ball away, and taking a lot of off-balance shots like they were doing in some of the earlier games, they will get hammered by a well-coached Penn team (even with their injuries). The Tigers also can’t be afraid to foul hard inside and force Penn to beat them at the line.

Looks like this could be the biggest crowd at Jadwin in a few years, although some of the sections may have been blacked out and reserved for students, few of whom may be back on campus in time for the game.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
01-03-19 09:53 PM - Post#271041    

So, in other words, if they outPenn Penn in a style that Princeton used to own.

• TigerFan Said:
I like the Tigers chances if they cut and pass the ball well on offense and play tough defense.

SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4919
01-03-19 10:07 PM - Post#271044    

Yes, that is exactly what I've been thinking all season, TigerFan and pennnation. Penn has been getting the kind of big-man passing to cutters and spot-up shooters that we have always valued, swinging the ball and not over-dribbling. Also playing stingy, smart half-court D.

I watched Oklahoma go down at Kansas, and their isolation-heavy, no-motion offense hurt my eyes. And they have better one-on-one creators than the Tigers do. Princeton needs to move the ball and to move off the ball to at least get the help defense off balance before driving to the rim.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2277
1LotteryPick1969
01-04-19 07:59 AM - Post#271057    

• penn nation Said:
  • bradley Said:
Finally, does Cannady's 3 pointers find the net.

If they doesn't, we be winning.

I love this board.
JadwinGeorge
Senior
Posts 357
01-04-19 10:51 AM - Post#271067    

Sadly, the outcome will be determined by injury status of key players on both teams. If Wang and Max are anywhere close to 80-90% Penn should be a solid favorite. Tigers can get along without Myles if they get 20 rebounds and 29 points from the sophomores as happened in Tempe, but that's a long shot. I guess we can all hope for a cliffdweller, as Yogi said, that comes down to the last possession.
TigerFan
PhD Student
Posts 1892
01-04-19 02:01 PM - Post#271095    

George, do you have news about Myles?
JadwinGeorge
Senior
Posts 357
01-04-19 02:54 PM - Post#271110    

I do not. Just throwing a "worst case sceanario" out. Last word I got was "day to day" and that was Wed.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-04-19 03:26 PM - Post#271115    

Coach commented that Jaelin was dissapointed in his performance after the ASU game. Henderson let him know that he made a signifcant by holding ASU's top scorer Dort, the #25 HS recurit in the country at 6'4", to six points, lowest total for the year -- Dort may well be a mid to late 1st round pick. Jaelin's defenese was not up to his athletic abilities in several earlier games. Both Llewellyn and Cannady need to play strong defense in tomorrow's game. I have some concern that Penn's guards can get to the rim if Jaelin and Devin do not play tough hard nosed basketball.

It would obviously be a bonus if Jaelin not only continues to find 3 pt shooters with open looks when he goes to the rim but he also finishes at a higher % at the rim. He obviously has God given ability to finish.

Pre-game, it is tough to decide if Cannady or Llewellyn win a dunk contest as they are way over the rim for their height.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4919
01-04-19 03:41 PM - Post#271118    

As long as they avoid silly turnovers, keep the floor spaced a reasonable amount, and swing the ball once or twice, I'm not too worried about Princeton getting good shots against any Penn lineup. Assuming Woods guards Cannady, Llewelyn and/or Morales should have the edge when they drive. And if Wang has to guard Stephens, Much, or Derosier on the perimeter I feel good there, too.

The problem is on the other end. If Aririguzoh is the only big out there it'll be challenging to handle even two of Penn's bigs at once. And if Much and/or Desrosier is out there as well, they'll have to play the kind of physical defense (that Desrosier at least looks like he should be capable of) that they have not shown on a consistent basis. It would help if the Tigers applied some ball pressure and made passing to the Penn bigs difficult. And foul when necessary, although I have visions of the Quakers finding their touch at the free throw line just to spite us.
Eric Von Zipper
Senior
Posts 343
01-04-19 05:59 PM - Post#271126    

Opens Pennsylvania -2

Only Ryan Betley listed as out.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-04-19 07:56 PM - Post#271130    

No surprise as to the spread. Henderson will probably use it as bulletin board material although there is obviously plenty of incentive to win this game. Cannady recently talked about the need to defend home court but the Tigers have done a lousy job to date -- FDU and St. Joe's but IL play is always different.

I remember watching how Weisz handled the guys pre-game and it was impressive. Let's see if Cannady and/or Stephens step up. Henderson is leaning on Cannday.
TigerFan
PhD Student
Posts 1892
01-04-19 08:20 PM - Post#271132    

University ticket office just opened the upper balcony bleacher seats up to online sales for tomorrow’s game. Don’t remember that section being open for seating in quite a while—game against the sweet sixteen Cornell team, perhaps?
dperry
Postdoc
Posts 2215
dperry
01-04-19 11:26 PM - Post#271142    

• TigerFan Said:
University ticket office just opened the upper balcony bleacher seats up to online sales for tomorrow’s game. Don’t remember that section being open for seating in quite a while—game against the sweet sixteen Cornell team, perhaps?

Good thing I got tickets in advance then--with the rain coming tomorrow, visibility from the stratosphere will be terrible.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-05-19 09:59 AM - Post#271158    

True and it would be even more difficult to see Silpe and Donahue on the court even when they "elevate".

Hopefully, there will be two good competitive games and may the best teams win although one or two of the games may come down to the occassional funny bounce of a basketball. Rivally games are just that and unusual outcomes often occur.

whitakk
Masters Student
Posts 523
01-05-19 03:33 PM - Post#271202    

Banghart needs to take a page from Mitch's shot selection playbook -- so many 18-footers so far. At least some of them are going in...
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-05-19 03:55 PM - Post#271210    

Lethargic first half played by the Tigers. Need to ramp up intensity and make some adjustments.

One of Banghart's strengths in the past has been half time adjustments. I would anticipate better play in the 2nd half although you never know for sure.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-05-19 05:04 PM - Post#271237    

Congratulations to Penn women - they played hard and tough. Tigers have some work in front of them although IvyMadness will regrettably be the decision maker.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3066
01-05-19 05:54 PM - Post#271249    

FYI -

The live stats page lists the starting lineups:

Penn - Brodeur, Rothschild, Woods, Goodman, Washington

Princeton - Cannady, Llewellyn, Desrosiers, Aririguzoh, Johns

1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2277
1LotteryPick1969
01-05-19 06:10 PM - Post#271257    

Penn guards vs. Aririguzoh
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2277
1LotteryPick1969
01-05-19 06:43 PM - Post#271290    

Decent half, especially since very little production from Cannady and Llewellyn.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3679
01-05-19 06:46 PM - Post#271293    

Pretty exciting game! Looks like it'll go down to the wire -- 50/50 coin flip.

Defensively, we just need to foul Brodeur every time he goes to his right. He's killing us right now but only shoots 54% from the FT line. Make him earn it at least.

Offensively, Llewellyn's 0-7 is pretty hard to take despite his handles and defense. Maybe give Morales some more burn in the 2nd half. On the bright side, Much looks like he's carrying over the energy he brought from the ASU game -- not just on offense but on defense (nice stands against Wang).

Anyone's game...probably will be next Saturday too.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4919
01-05-19 06:48 PM - Post#271295    

Didn't expect Arirguzoh, Much, and Desrosiers to have such strong early performances. Llewelyn is not used to getting mugged inside by Penn on his drives--he needs to stop earlier when the help is there so that he still has a good passing angle. Stephens looking very frisky on the boards.

Penn's first 19 points came against bad defense. Easy straight-line drives, open threes, simple post-ups. After that the Tigers started to at least make them work, and Much did a good job on Wang (though getting abused by Brodeur). Aririguzoh played strong D against Brodeur low.

Not enough Morales IMO, and not enough zone mixed in, but leading at the half is pretty encouraging given how well Penn started off.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3679
01-05-19 06:51 PM - Post#271298    

• SRP Said:
Llewelyn is not used to getting mugged inside by Penn on his drives--he needs to stop earlier when the help is there so that he still has a good passing angle.

I'm convinced he's still banged up from the Lafeyette game. He took a hard spill and missed every shot he took when he came back in. He hasn't looked the same since...just a bit off.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-05-19 07:08 PM - Post#271315    

A concern before the game was Penn driving to the basket and it is a concern. Tigers taking away 3 pt shots but......
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4919
01-05-19 07:23 PM - Post#271344    

Up six with 7:25 left. Stephens giving the kind of effort game I've been waiting for. Cannady 0-2 from the FT line and missed two great looks at threes. Aririguzoh playing well and hard, Desrosiers looking good too.

Got to stop the Penn dribble penetration better, although some help is now starting to show up.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2818
01-05-19 07:34 PM - Post#271364    

Llewellyn is not himself. Lousy shooting, tos.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2818
01-05-19 07:38 PM - Post#271370    

TAKE LLEWELLYN OUT!!!
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3679
01-05-19 07:41 PM - Post#271376    

2-15 is just not acceptable. It's one thing to take an open layup or 3, but forcing tough shots on a clear off-night? Come on. Not sure why Cannady didn't get that last shot. Welp, at least we're going to OT. Still feels like a coin flip.
whitakk
Masters Student
Posts 523
01-05-19 07:42 PM - Post#271381    

Hate that last-second possession. How is Cannady just standing still out of the action?
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2818
01-05-19 07:43 PM - Post#271382    

HE MUST BE HURT — 2 for 15. We are in OT. Lost 8 point lead in last 4:20.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3679
01-05-19 07:43 PM - Post#271385    

2-17. Oh come on.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3679
01-05-19 07:46 PM - Post#271389    

Both teams are gassed. We need to go inside to Aririguzoh.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3679
01-05-19 07:50 PM - Post#271401    

Two missed front-end 1-and-1s. Finally, Richie gets us a bucket. KEEP GOING TO HIM.
whitakk
Masters Student
Posts 523
01-05-19 07:54 PM - Post#271407    

• gokinsmen Said:
Two missed front-end 1-and-1s. Finally, Richie gets us a bucket. KEEP GOING TO HIM.

so much for that plan...
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3679
01-05-19 08:00 PM - Post#271422    

Oh man. Now a careless inbounds TO by Jaelin. Mitch not playing Morales down the stretch here could come back to haunt us.

Can we win it with defense?
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3679
01-05-19 08:01 PM - Post#271426    

Great stop! Big FTs coming for Much...

EDIT: 2/2 even after the BS "1-and-1" call.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3679
01-05-19 08:04 PM - Post#271434    

WHEW

RIP Princeton & Penn fans for that heart-stopper.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4919
01-05-19 08:05 PM - Post#271437    

Tigers escape. Goodman's many miscues and Penn's brutal FT shooting in the clutch rescues Princeton from their own FT butchery and mental weaknesses on the bad box out and the horrible Llewelyn turnover.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
01-05-19 08:07 PM - Post#271438    

Penn's play the last 3 games has just been brutal.

No-one really wanted this game.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4919
01-05-19 08:07 PM - Post#271440    

Where was Jose? A Princeton nation turns its lonely eyes to you.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2277
1LotteryPick1969
01-05-19 08:08 PM - Post#271441    

The end of regulation and the overtime were some of the ugliest basketball I have seen....

Obviously both teams were exhausted physically and mentally.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2818
01-05-19 08:10 PM - Post#271443    

Aririguzoh is the secret weapon! Jaelin needs some time to get back his game. And, we have these guys again in 7 days. Hack-a-quack prevailed in the end.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3679
01-05-19 08:10 PM - Post#271444    

The biggest key was containing Brodeur in the 2nd half -- force him to his left and make him shoot FTs. That needs to happen ALL GAME. Great halftime adjustment by our guys though.

As for the offense, both teams were gassed so I can't fault missed shots and FTs. I get why Jaelin is in there despite missing shots -- his handles and defense are so valuable. But man, he's gotta show better shot selection on nights like these. Hopefully a learning experience for a great talent.

Aririguzoh and Stephens were definitely our MVPs. Also, Much and Desrosiers showed that ASU wasn't a fluke -- they're back! And hopefully here to stay.

whitakk
Masters Student
Posts 523
01-05-19 08:12 PM - Post#271446    

So lucky Goodman missed the layup down the stretch. Penn ran that same action repeatedly in the second half and Princeton never had an answer.

At least there were some positives in the first 35 minutes...
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
01-05-19 08:20 PM - Post#271450    

Botched Penn FTs in OT have cost it the past two straight games. They missed 5 straight in OT against Monmouth, and missed 5 more in OT today.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-05-19 08:21 PM - Post#271451    

Go into both locker rooms and let them know that you do not believe either team wanted this game - pure exhaustion in OT. Really???
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3679
01-05-19 08:23 PM - Post#271452    

• penn nation Said:
Botched Penn FTs in OT have cost it the past two straight games. They missed 5 straight in OT against Monmouth, and missed 5 more in OT today.

That goes both ways. We missed two front-end 1-and-1s in OT and Cannady -- a 94% FT shooter -- went 0-2 today. At least Brodeur isn't a good FT shooter anyway. It was just a gritty, ugly game and the home team barely won. I'd give you guys the slight edge next Saturday.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2277
1LotteryPick1969
01-05-19 08:26 PM - Post#271457    

• Tiger69 Said:
Aririguzoh is the secret weapon!

He gets better every game. Amazing.

Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2818
01-05-19 08:28 PM - Post#271459    

Better to win ugly than lose pretty. But tough to watch!🐅
Petrie
Freshman
Posts 42
01-05-19 08:29 PM - Post#271460    

I’m loving that 1-0 feeling.
If we can win with Llewellyn having the game he had and Cannady going 0 for 6 from 3, I think the tigers have as good a chance as any to win it all.
But, wow, never seen a player lose his game the way Llewellyn has ( reminds me of Markelle Fultz ). Have to think he will come roaring back.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-05-19 08:33 PM - Post#271463    

With 4 minutes to go Penn was 6-7 Ft vs Tigers 4-10. 8 pt lead with 4 minutes to go and Tigers offense slows down trying not to lose rather than play to win. A weakness with Mitch’s coaching style. Best defensive effort in years at home. Would be nice to get Gladson back. Kudos to Myles and Richmond. Jerome and Much return from the dead. Stupid to play in one week but we have the glory of IvyMadness.
mmp629
Junior
Posts 259
mmp629
01-05-19 08:35 PM - Post#271464    

Me too! 1-0
jeromelh
Junior
Posts 215
01-05-19 08:46 PM - Post#271466    

He hasn't lost his game. He is just in a shooting funk, just as Much had at the beginning of the season We still need him to run the team even when his shot is not falling. He will get his shot back. Just give him time.
Eric Von Zipper
Senior
Posts 343
01-05-19 09:07 PM - Post#271468    

The coach working with Aririguzoh deserves a raise.

He's turned into a monster.

westcoast
Senior
Posts 302
01-05-19 09:13 PM - Post#271470    

I think the coaches don't really trust Morales handling the ball against a good defense. Even today, he had two turnovers in just 10 minutes. Each one came with Llewellyn on the bench, and Henderson immediately put Jaelin back in after each one.

I'm pretty confident that Jaelin's shooting will come back, especially his midrange jumper. I don't think he's expected to be a three point shooter, but he should be solid on the 10-15 ft jumper in the paint.
TigerFan
PhD Student
Posts 1892
01-05-19 09:18 PM - Post#271471    

Ugly but beautiful win! The Tigers looked like they downshifted when the went up 8 down the stretch—something that cost us dearly in league play last year. They would have done better to keep grinding but instead tried to run clock—which just doesn’t seem to work with the 30 second clock. Jaelin and DC3 shooting was woeful but they really took care of the ball well (until the horendous TO at the end.) Crowd was biggest and loudest we’ve had in a while—even without many (any?) students. The Jumbotron is starting to grow on me.
Eric Von Zipper
Senior
Posts 343
01-05-19 09:35 PM - Post#271473    

Looking at the box score, Pennsylvania's 15 turnovers jump right out.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-05-19 10:23 PM - Post#271480    

Richmond is not a traditional Tiger center and thank goodness. His inprovemebt is phenomenal. He is a warrior. Stephens 16 rebounds on a bad wheel. Cannady is ferocious. Core toughness 2 seniors and a junior. Toughness and hard nosed B.B. still wins with sufficient skill set. At the end of the day, the Tigers only held serve but the Palestinians game should be another fierce battle.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-05-19 11:16 PM - Post#271482    

Myles commented post-game that Tigers lost 4 OT games last year in IL play and the team wanted to stop that trend -- easier said than done.

So many of these games come down to one shot or one turnover or something random that happens. The randomness of who wins and loses makes watching these games interesting but not good for one's heart. It is always interesting to have statistics cited prior to the start of these games but I become more convinced that they are simply data points and too much more than that.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-06-19 10:02 AM - Post#271507    

The play that symbolized the effort of the Tigers occurred when Stephens missed a somewhat wild shot and hit the floor hard. Penn went on a fast break and got off a relatively quick shot that missed and Stephens sored over over two Penn bigs including Brodeur to get the rebound. Tigers got more loose balls for a change. DesRosiers and Much's intensity on the defensive end has improved but a return of Gladson for 6-8 minutes would help especially to put Bodeur and Rothschild on the foul line.

Scoreboard is an improvement regarding replays but I know a few Quaker fans still do not like the ambiance of Jadwin and were very dissapointed as to the wait time to get a hot dog.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3590
01-06-19 12:24 PM - Post#271517    

From my limited perspective on Princeton (saw last nights game, ASU, Duke games) I can't see any reason, with a healthy lineup and Aririguzoh playing at a high level, they can't compete for an IL title this year. Richmond's abilities at both ends, combined with the other pieces you have, dramatically change the ceiling of this team.

Injuries could seriously change the outlook obviously.
mbaprof
Senior
Posts 346
01-06-19 01:38 PM - Post#271532    

Count me as one Quaker fan who applauds the improvements to Jadwin, video board is quite cool and first class, loved the new seats replacing the bleachers behind the benches. I was dreading sitting through two games on them at my age and the lousy view from angle and distance. The new seats were VERY comfortable and roomy(beat chairbacks at Palestra) and you felt like you were in the action instead of in a dome.

I've always used the concessions behind the basket which have good sitting areas. Do miss it however when I think the food was brought in from local restaurants, picking were pretty poor and standard arena stuff.

SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4919
01-06-19 01:56 PM - Post#271534    

As usual, when this team is getting turnovers from the opponent and winning at least its share of the 50-50 balls and rebounds, it's tough to beat, despite other deficiencies that crop up with some frequency. The Tigers had 12 more FGA yesterday and only one fewer FTA. They've been consistently pretty good at denying easy treys to dangerous shooters, and they've been able to find at least a couple of good offensive matchups in almost every game.

One sign that the sophomore forwards were on in this game is that Much had three assists and zero turnovers in 22 minutes and Desrosiers had the same in 29 minutes. Plus they were collectively 4-9 from three, compensating for the rest of the team's outside shooting woes.

And Aririguzoh and Stephens were beasts.
Tiger81
Masters Student
Posts 412
Tiger81
01-06-19 03:36 PM - Post#271538    

I could not attend or watch the game so I have been trying to connect the dots in reading about this win. My superficial takeaways:

1. Princeton did not have any league wins like this last year, so that is encouraging ... and beating a good Penn team indicates that the playoffs are within reach
2. Aririguzoh was the difference maker and is a player other teams will need to factor into their game plans, also very encouraging and reminiscent of when Kareem Maddox and Henry Caruso unexpectedly emerged as elite Ivy players
3. As noted in other posts, the sophs showed up and have become dependable members of the rotation
4. Defense must have been really good given 15 Penn TOs although it seems that the Quaker faithful’s view is that Penn performed poorly and beat themselves
5. Lots of “ugly win” comments; I assume somehow beating Penn without the Tigers’ two biggest offensive weapons contributing much is the story there; I saw at least one Penn poster say Princeton wouldn’t win if Devin had an off night, so it is good to see that they have more than one way to bring home a victory

Glass half empty narrative is that Princeton got lucky because Penn had a bad night. Glass half full is that Cannady and Llewellyn are unlikely to be simultaneous no-shows again, yet they still beat a good team whose best player had a strong game.

We will learn more about this year’s team at the Palestra.

Go Tigers!
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-06-19 05:36 PM - Post#271552    

For not watching the game, good summary with a few minor edits. Not all of the 15 Penn turnovers were a function of Princeton defense as almost half of them were a result of careless ball handling. DesRosiers and Much performance over the past two games has been pretty darn good but no guarantee that it will continue. When Richmnond went out in the 2nd half, DesRosiers vs. Much guarded Brodeur which was telling after Brodeur ate up Much in the 1st half.

Wang is an impressive physical specimen for a freshmen with the ability to shoot long 3s' with some inside game that will be better over time. Mitch had Stephens guard Wang at times along with Woods and Goodman when he started going successfully to the hoop - Stephens is a multi-dimensional defender.

I would go with your story on both ends as to the glass being half empty or full although I would give an edge to the narrative that Cannady and Llewellyn will not have a shooting game remotely similar to last evening.

Finally, although Yale had a shaky OT win last evening both Penn and Princeton should be concerned about Yale, Harvard and Brown. RPI has Brown winning it at 10-4 followed by Yale 9-5 although their analysis is probably wrong as well as meaningless.

Without IvyMadness, the regular season would be even more crazy and competitive this year.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4919
01-06-19 06:39 PM - Post#271557    

From what little I've seen, Yale is a talented and poised outfit with lots of pieces that work together well. They are not the defensive junkyard dogs they were back in the days of Sears, but they are a lot prettier on offense with a multitude of scoring threats and good teamwork. Princeton will have to play in its upper range to win those games.

I am not 100% sold on the net positive impact of Llewelyn this season, although I fervently hope to be proven wrong. His defense has been better than I thought it would be, but his floor game offensively looks so-so and his shooting hasn't been great either. He plays with great confidence and a steady demeanor, which puts a good face on his performance and is salutary for team morale, but I think he has a lot of learning to do this season. Hope it happens fast, because MH has clearly committed to him.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-06-19 07:33 PM - Post#271565    

What will Mitch do differently, if anything, on offense at the Palestra?

I would have Arirguzoh continue to go to the hoop early and often. Penn can put Rotschild on Richmond if Brodeur gets in foul trouble but Richmond can score on either. Seems like the best option although I guess that they can double up on Arirguzoh if need be but Richmond is an ok passer.

Next option is have Myles, if healthy, take Woods down deep and use his height and jumping ability for short jumpers although Penn did give him a double look several times but Richmond needs to give Myles more room to maneuver.

Third option is get the ball more into the hands of Devin and have him go to the hoop and pass it out to DesRosiers, Much and Stephens for 3 pt shots.

Fourth option is to give Morales some additional minutes vs. Jaelin as he brings something different to the floor or somehow, Jaelin finally gets some baskets by going to the hoop.

Finally, Devin hits on a few open looks that he had a 3 pt shooter. The likelihood of Devin and Llewellyn going 7 for 34 and 0-9 on 3s' is probably unlikely.

Let's see what happens but 62 points will probably not work again.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3590
01-06-19 07:44 PM - Post#271568    

Both Penn and Princeton have the talent to compete with Yale and Harvard (perhaps Brown)this year. I don’t see any reason that’s not the case. Both these teams match up well with Yale. It will be very competitive in the IL.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3590
01-06-19 07:46 PM - Post#271569    

Neither of these teams are likely to shoot less than 30% from 3 again. It’s not just DC and JL. Penn will shoot the ball much closer to their season average at home.
jeromelh
Junior
Posts 215
01-06-19 08:29 PM - Post#271571    

Hi

I respectively disagree with you about Lewellyn's floor game. It is Morales who I have a problem with. Lewellyn's floor game is solid and he is an excellent floor general and ball handler. His shooting has been subpar as has been his shot selection, but we need him on the floor and MH agrees. One problem he has is dealing with the physicality of the college game, but he will adjust. He is probably the best all around guard who has come to Princeton in years.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-06-19 09:09 PM - Post#271577    

I agree with you that Jaelin does a good job of protecting the ball although he does put an occasional scare into you as he keeps the ball in front of his body. The fact that ASU and particularly Duke could not steal the ball from him says a lot. He is not intimidated which is key. Duke stole the ball a bunch of times from the Yale guards.

The challenge will be if he does not starting hitting some shots, the defense will provide less help on him and avoid him giving open looks to 3 pt shooters. He appears to be struggling with the physicality of the college game going to the hoop.

Mitch needs to stay with him and hopefully if the Tigers make IvyMadness, Jaelin will be an offensive force. He can certainly get to the basket and create shots on his own. Morales does provide a change of pace if needed.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4919
01-06-19 11:58 PM - Post#271588    

Llewelyn is not generating very many assists, nor successfully breaking down the defense. He is a strong dribbler and hard to dispossess, but I don't see him so far as a plus passer against good defense. I'm hopeful that he will get a better feel for the angles as the games roll on.

Naturally, if he could hit some shots it would also be a huge help. I wouldn't be surprised if he had some breakout games from three, especially if teams lay off him based on early performance.
westcoast
Senior
Posts 302
01-07-19 12:35 AM - Post#271589    

Llewellyn had 8 assists against Iona and 7 against Duke, and his total of 26 in just 6 games is already second on the team, only behind Morales with 30.

Keep in mind that Llewellyn missed the first seven games with an injury, and then he got hurt again in the Lafayette game. He hasn't found his shot yet, but his ball-handling and defense have been very good. He's only played 6 games so far, including road games at St Johns, Duke, and Arizona State. Strangely, his two best games so far were the first two in his career, but I'm confident that he'll get back to the player we saw against St Johns and Iona.
Petrie
Freshman
Posts 42
01-07-19 01:57 AM - Post#271591    

Llewellyn also averaged 20 pts his first 2 games. What we all saw wasn’t an hallucination. He was unbelievable. I doubt I was the only one thinking we just added the best guard in the league to our team ( granted, a little euphoric)

To go from that level of expectation to watching him miss open shot, after open shot, including what could’ve been the redeeming game winner, then missing front end of crucial one and one, and then making a catastrophic turnover, was excruciating.

I still think he’s the real deal. I just hope he doesn’t have nagging injury. If he’s healthy, I think he gets back confidence in his shot, and plays at all ivy level. Please, please, please let him find his shot early on Saturday, and don’t let him lose it again.

Btw interesting that Mitch left him in despite his obvious struggles. Wonder which weighed more heavily in decision - this game or long term benefit of showing confidence in a young player.

TigerFan
PhD Student
Posts 1892
01-07-19 09:26 AM - Post#271599    

JL’s half court bounce pass on the break to Myles for the layup with the Tigers down 9 and 12 minutes to play in the first half was a huge turning point in the game. He shooting was off and the TO at the end of the game was brutal but this kid is the real deal and Mitch should stick with him.
AntiUngvar
Masters Student
Posts 530
01-07-19 10:38 AM - Post#271605    

• Petrie Said:
Llewellyn also averaged 20 pts his first 2 games. What we all saw wasn’t an hallucination. He was unbelievable. I doubt I was the only one thinking we just added the best guard in the league to our team ( granted, a little euphoric)

Geoff:
You're too modest to allow it to come from you; but we'll let it be known he'll never catch you (except perhaps in expository writing skills)!

bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-07-19 10:43 AM - Post#271606    

It was a great pass although Stephens made an incredible athletic move to capture it and make the shot going underneath the basket. I believe that it was right after Silpe missed the lay up which may have also been a turning point.

Jaelin made a bad inbounds pass to Devin at the end of the game although Devin should have stayed away from Llewellyn vs getting closer to him. Cannady also made a bad play at the end of the ASU game as he was going out of bounds by not throwing the ball high towards mid court as Walton was yelling at him to do. On Saturday night, DesRosiers did a bad job in getting close to Brodeur to foul him with 6.5 seconds and Barnes did a bad job in letting Goodman running down uncontested prior to 3 pt shot. DesRosiers could have punched Goodman's shot to mid court as well. Any of these plays could have and maybe should have resulted in a loss.

Post-game video with Coach, Stephens and Arirguzoh was interesting. Henderson gave his usual coach talk although he believes that the Tigers are a different team vs. the team that traveled out to ASU. He and Stephens raved about the performance of Arirguzoh. Henderson needs to work on the "little things" like successfully getting the ball inbounds as the margin of error is slim in these games.
JadwinGeorge
Senior
Posts 357
01-07-19 11:32 AM - Post#271611    

Time to start figuring out how we can win at The Cathedral. First, we need some 3's from Cannady. Penn held him w/o even 1, which had not happened since the game in Cambridge (where he was shutout!!!) in his sophomore year. BTW, Tigers won that one also. Second, we need some offense from Jaelin. He can be a difference maker. Penn defensed both quite well, obviously by design, but they will get good looks. Third, Much and Derosiers need to play at least as well as they did Saturday. Fourth, Myles and RA must continue their phenomenal inside presence. We may see some doubling on AJ. It looked to me that the kids finally figured out that AJ, while he can go either way, is not as comfortable going to his left. All of our game planning will be meaningless if Max and Wang are close to their peak. They were not on Saturday. Penn will be favored at home. RA is clearly building an All-Ivy resume which no one expected.
jeromelh
Junior
Posts 215
01-07-19 03:18 PM - Post#271695    

HI
you said "Jaelin made a bad inbounds pass to Devin at the end of the game although Devin should have stayed away from Llewellyn vs getting closer to him."

I disagree. It was actually Devin's fault. For some reason, he stopped and turned back to Lewellyn instead of just continuing straight ahead.
Bryan
Junior
Posts 234
01-07-19 04:02 PM - Post#271703    

When I first saw the play I thought it was a bad pass by Jaelin. After seeing the replay (and after having watched Princeton run that out-of-bounds play for more than 40 years) I agree with you. Devin should have faded away from Jaelin, not run toward him.
JadwinGeorge
Senior
Posts 357
01-07-19 04:39 PM - Post#271713    

RA Ivy Player of the Week!!!
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-08-19 10:36 AM - Post#271761    

Based on y-t-d team stats on Ivy Sports, the Tigers are primarily in the bottom half of most statistical categories other than FT shooting and turnovers. In relative terms to Yale, Brown, Harvard and Penn, it is not very impressive. One encouraging stat is that Yale (5), Brown (4) and the Tigers (3) are on winning streaks but as we know that can change quickly if Princeton does not perform better.

It is somewhat remarkable that they are 8-5 with some of the clunkers but they have won close games this year primarily against not so great of teams. One plus is that three players can create their own shots at game's end -- one only has to look at Cannady's floater with less than a minute to go in OT.

Mitch stated that Princeton is a different team prior to going to ASU but let's see if that statement is backed by reality. He also stated that they need to be a different, and better team, by IvyMadness time if they are going to be successful.

Time will tell.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4919
01-08-19 05:45 PM - Post#271794    

Getting more FGA (via turnover + rebounding advantage) and shooting more threes than the opponent while staying about even on FTA is going to be the formula for this group, I think. Maybe the on-ball defense will continue to improve to the point that they win without those elements via a better shooting percentage on two-point attempts, or maybe the offensive three-point shooting percentage picks up, but I have a feeling that those two are going to be up and down fluctuations around what we've seen so far. So Morales's ability to harass opposing guards and get steals and deflections is important for this team and I'd hate to see his minutes drop off too much.

I'm not saying Llewelyn isn't a very impressive freshman--I'm impressed--but in conference play it's probably going to look a lot more like what we saw against Penn than what he could get away with against non-conference opponents. So he needs to adapt quickly for Princeton to have a good season given that he is going to log big minutes.

I'm not asking for the senior season of TJ Bray (well, I can ask for it, but I'm not going to get it), but he and DC3 are going to have to get their spacing and timing down, he's going to have to learn to use his dribbling ability to get to good passing spots and not just rim drives, etc. Llewelyn, in his own different way, could provide the defense-upsetting ball movement the team has missed since Weisz's departure, which would make everybody else look a lot better at shooting and getting open.

Very good thing that Aririguzoh is fulfilling the optimists' hopes about him. And it was heartening to see Stephens look like the guy we remembered from his DPOY season--not forcing the offense while making frequent strong defensive and rebounding plays. Hope that knee of his isn't giving him too much pain. We just need all the parts to gel at the same time and keep playing like scrappy, angry underdogs.
Eric Von Zipper
Senior
Posts 343
01-08-19 09:50 PM - Post#271811    

• JadwinGeorge Said:
RA Ivy Player of the Week!!!

I have a feeling the first of many.
TigerFan
PhD Student
Posts 1892
01-08-19 09:57 PM - Post#271812    

I’ll take grit in close games over stats every time. So far, the Tigers are 5-0 in games decided by five points or less this year. I remember being amazed at how tough the 2010-11 team was in close games—they went 10-2 in games decidedby five points or less that year, including winning nine in a row close ones until the heart breaker against Kentucky.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-09-19 11:00 AM - Post#271835    

Coach Hendershow show last night. Bottom line was that Saturday's game was not particularly well played by both teams and the Tigers were fortunate to win. Many of these close games come down to 4 to 5 plays in reguation and up to 10 plays in OT. He talked about the contributions of Arirguzoh and Stephens and mentioned Myles picking upself off the floor on the offensive end after an awkward missed shot and skying over two teammates to get a defensive rebound. He thinks that the 4 straight OT losses last year has been a tough but good learning experience.

DesRosiers and Coach MacConnell participated. DesRosiers talked about sharing his knowledge regarding former teammate Brodeur with Richmond and others. DesRosiers actually guarded AJ during the game.

MacConnell claimed that the keys to the upcoming game are:
1. Contain Brodeuer and do not get into foul trouble
2. Box out better than the last game
3. Play good one on one defense against Goodman and Woods when they go the basket
4. Deal with a healthier Wang

They sounded excited and reasonably confident going into the Palestra. Time will tell.
JadwinGeorge
Senior
Posts 357
01-09-19 12:02 PM - Post#271839    

"Time will tell" I agree
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-10-19 09:45 AM - Post#271929    

Coach stated that the toughest job at the Palestra may be the referee job. He described the Penn games as two of the most physical games of the year, conference or non-conference. Refs in the first game allowed a good deal of physical contact and it will be interesting to see if Saturday's refs try to get control of the game early which may result in foul troubles for either or both sides.

Spread should be somewhere between 4 1/2 to 5 pts. ESPN projects Penn as having a 76% chance to win the game. Princeton needs to take early blows from Penn and counter punch similar to last weekend.

Should be a fun game to watch at the historic Palestra.

1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2277
1LotteryPick1969
01-10-19 12:38 PM - Post#271958    

• bradley Said:

Princeton needs to take early blows from Penn and counter punch similar to last weekend.

Or similar to the Brian Earl game.
LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
01-10-19 05:54 PM - Post#272007    

• 1LotteryPick1969 Said:
  • bradley Said:

Princeton needs to take early blows from Penn and counter punch similar to last weekend.

Or similar to the Brian Earl game.

Oh, right, I remember that one. We (Penn) jumped out to a 29-3 lead and some immature Penn fans started chanting,"You've got 3 pts., you've got 3 pts.,...) before Princeton turned it around to win by one. Well, Black Tuesday turned out fine in the long run because we went to Jadwin for the season finale and the title on the line and beat the Tigers by 25. At least Princeton fans exited the gym and surrendered the hangar to us to cut down the nets, unlike at Columbia where they raised the baskets immediately and wouldn't let us celebrate on the court.

LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
01-10-19 05:57 PM - Post#272008    

• bradley Said:
Refs in the first game allowed a good deal of physical contact and it will be interesting to see if Saturday's refs try to get control of the game early which may result in foul troubles for either or both sides.

Oh, right, Sebastian Much's big left hand pushoff along the baseline. Yeah, the refs did let that stuff go.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
01-10-19 07:37 PM - Post#272021    

I would expect a better game this time around by Princeton’s guards and for us to handle RA better.

If Princeton wants to play Penn the same way I tell AJ to really take it to them and get them in foul trouble. Hopefully the real Wang appears in this one. That might be the ultimate difference.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2277
1LotteryPick1969
01-10-19 08:27 PM - Post#272029    

• LyleGold Said:

some immature Penn fans started chanting,"You've got 3 pts., you've got 3 pts.,

You know you were chanting too.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2818
01-10-19 08:33 PM - Post#272030    

I expect Cannady and Llewellyn to make up for any loss of production from RA. OTOH, I don’t what we will do to stop a healthy Wang.

It was great to see a big crowd at Jadwin for a change. We old guys need replacements!
LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
01-10-19 08:48 PM - Post#272031    

• 1LotteryPick1969 Said:
  • LyleGold Said:

some immature Penn fans started chanting,"You've got 3 pts., you've got 3 pts.,

You know you were chanting too.

Only on the inside. We were actually shouting,"No, shut up, it's bad luck!" and stuff like that.
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8316
Streamers
01-10-19 09:40 PM - Post#272036    

• bradley Said:

Spread should be somewhere between 4 1/2 to 5 pts. ESPN projects Penn as having a 76% chance to win the game. Princeton needs to take early blows from Penn and counter punch similar to last weekend.

Should be a fun game to watch at the historic Palestra.

You will also get treated to the final 4 40th anniversary celebration and our throwback unis. I assume the Tigers will wear Saturday whites on the road.

bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-10-19 10:03 PM - Post#272040    

Based on Henderson's comments regarding the number of key plays in OT, approximately 10 plays, the Tigers had roughly 8 of the 10 key plays with the bulk shared by Stephens, Arirguzoh and Cannady with one key play being made by DesRosiers -- rebound and pass on a fast break by Much.

Anyone can win or lose these tight games but you certainly improve your odds by making the majority of key plays along with a good dose of luck. OT games last year had a very different result.

Tigers can play with some house money based on last Saturday's win.
JadwinGeorge
Senior
Posts 357
01-11-19 11:13 AM - Post#272072    

My office in 1999 was in Scranton, PA, about 12 miles from my home. I did not have internet access at home in those dark ages. I stayed in the office to listen to the game on my office computer. The 29-3 lead was actually extended early in the second half, resulting in my decision to abandon ship. I opened the morning newspaper the next day to the sports page to see how bad things turned out. I thought the score was a misprint! I did attend the 25 point smackdown at home against Penn to close the Ivy season. That was the worst Ivy loss in Bill Carmody's Princeton career. BTW, he lost 9 Ivy games in 5 years.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21276
01-11-19 12:22 PM - Post#272093    

• JadwinGeorge Said:
I did attend the 25 point smackdown at home against Penn to close the Ivy season. That was the worst Ivy loss in Bill Carmody's Princeton career.

Wasn't it the worst ever Princeton home loss?

1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2277
1LotteryPick1969
01-11-19 05:06 PM - Post#272135    

Does this include losses to non-D1 teams?
LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
01-11-19 06:09 PM - Post#272137    

• penn nation Said:
  • JadwinGeorge Said:
I did attend the 25 point smackdown at home against Penn to close the Ivy season. That was the worst Ivy loss in Bill Carmody's Princeton career.

Wasn't it the worst ever Princeton home loss?

Funny, I was wondering if it was the BEST EVER Princeton home loss. It ranks right up there, but perhaps the following year when Ugonna did his 360 dunk comes close. Then again, for sentimental reasons, 2005 was special because Judson Wallace promised,"We will win our next ten games. I know that." The Tigers went 5-5 down the stretch and Joe Scott would finish his last (barely) winning season. Of course, earlier that season Penn came back from 18 down to win by 8 in OT at the Palestra.

What a shame the Penn-Princeton game doesn't end the season anymore!
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-11-19 08:23 PM - Post#272142    

Tigers are in trouble as some Quakerites are guaranteeing a win for Penn. Other Quakerites are certain that select players will play or not for select games or the season. Is it a crystal ball or fandom? Time will tell.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
01-12-19 03:28 AM - Post#272160    

Definitely no guarantees and expect a battle tomorrow. Hoping Quakers have a healthier Mike Wang and find their mojo again to pull out a tough win.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-12-19 10:24 AM - Post#272172    

I did use the words some Quakerites versus all. Reminded me of Ewing’s 6th game guarantee in the Indiana series - his last game as a Knick or Kaiser Wilhelm’s guarantee in 1914 that his troops would be home watching the leaves fall. Penn is a solid home favorite and there are good reasons but it is a rivalry game and anything can happen in a given game. Tigers will have the option to foul towards the end of the game. I only wish that I could be so confident.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3066
01-12-19 12:49 PM - Post#272179    

Absolutely no guarantees here.

I do like Penn's chances today due to the home crowd, more comfort playing on the Palestra (not Macquarie) court, and having healthier Wang & Rothschild. I also think Donahue is a very good coach who has experience at Cornell in coaching back-to-back travel partner games. However, I am certainly concerned that Rothschild's back may not be healthy enough for him to battle inside with RA & Stephens, and I am always concerned about the free throws, especially from Brodeur late in games.

I do think that RA is the real deal and that Stephens is back to his usual self, however, I think both will not have the same results as last week if Wang & Rothschild are truly healthier. I also would expect Cannady to be much better, especially from three, than he was last week. Desrosiers and Much seem to have gotten things on track the last few games and will be very helpful.

However, I think Llewellyn is the wild card, who may be the difference in determining which team wins. His first two games were great, but he has really struggled on offense since that time. If he does not have the shooting touch this afternoon, I think a big question will be whether Coach Henderson is able to stop him from shooting as much or going to the bench for Morales more than the 10 minutes he has played in each of the last two games. If the coach allows JL to play like last week, it may be difficult for the Tigers to get a second close win.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.011 seconds.   Total Queries: 7   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:39 PM