Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Canady
internetter
Postdoc
Posts 3399
01-18-19 06:44 PM - Post#272922    

Trenton paper he was arrested at 3 AM either this morning or yesterday (I'm unsure
west coast fan

internetter
Postdoc
Posts 3399
01-18-19 06:46 PM - Post#272923    

https://www.trentonian.com/news/princeton-univer si...
west coast fan

AntiUngvar
Masters Student
Posts 530
01-18-19 07:10 PM - Post#272924    

The article clearly states Friday morning- we've got to try to be on point about matters related to dates and times.

Tiger81
Masters Student
Posts 409
Tiger81
01-18-19 07:51 PM - Post#272925    

Ugh, what a dope. Will he be kicked off the team and/or expelled? Assuming the article is accurate, it is sad that such a great and accomplished player could not keep it together and make better decisions as a senior Captain, he really let his teammates down.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4894
01-18-19 07:53 PM - Post#272926    

If that's the Wawa near Forbes College (nee PIC), I made many purchases there. Weird to think of it as a site of even minor infamy.

SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4894
01-18-19 07:58 PM - Post#272927    

The Trentonian article does not sound good for DC3.

I hope he is treated impartially and await his side of the story, if such exists. Even if provoked, one would hope that his self-control would be adequate to the situation. Terrible news for him and the team.

I can't remember hearing about anything similar happening with the BB team in the past. Not the kind of first anybody's going to be proud of.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2262
1LotteryPick1969
01-18-19 08:07 PM - Post#272929    

What a disappointment on so many levels.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-18-19 08:16 PM - Post#272930    

As you suggest, everyone deserves due process rather than just jumping to conclusions which seems to be fashionable these days. University will have to complete a comprehensive internal review and there are probably a number of eye witnesses. Devin will probably remain under suspension until the Princeton investigation has been concluded which may take a few weeks. At the end of the day, Devin should be accountable for his actions, if any, just like any other student.

This year has been loaded with Ivy and some Tiger surprises. This one is obviously a big one and possible game changer for the team but it is what it is.

Not a great advertisement for our "genius" Governor pushing for legalization of marijuana so that he can raise some tax revenue.

Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
01-18-19 08:50 PM - Post#272932    

Doesn’t sound good. Unlike many of us (including me), Devon’s screw-up has a huge audience and potentially life disrupting consequences. I wish him the best and hope that, whatever actually happened, he owns up to it and learns from it. It would be terrible for someone with so much promise to get untracked.
AntiUngvar
Masters Student
Posts 530
01-18-19 08:53 PM - Post#272933    

• Tiger81 Said:
Ugh, what a dope.

Perhaps not. He's headed toward his final semester in Princeton. Has he been associated with sort of conduct, as described, before today?
I know you've mentioned David Blatt in prior posts; to me, passing judgment on this boy tonight would be tantamount to what the Cavaliers did in taking LeBron's opinion of Blatt, and running with it to push the coach away from the Mistake by the Lake.

bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-18-19 09:39 PM - Post#272934    

I remember when Jack Montague, Yale team captain was thrown out of Yale in his senior year after very serious allegations were made regarding sexual misconduct. It struck me that there was a rush to judgment by some. Montague filed a lawsuit against Yale that was apparently resolved in January 2018 under sealed court documents.

I would suspect that Princeton will do a very thorough investigation that may take some time as they need to be on firm ground if they take action against Devin. These are serious charges against a student if he indeed took a swing at a campus policeman.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
01-18-19 10:26 PM - Post#272937    

I don't wish to distract attention from this thread other than to point out that the Jack Montague lawsuit against Yale has NOT been settled.

The case remains open and many important questions arising from that case remain unresolved.

sparman
PhD Student
Posts 1339
sparman
01-18-19 10:34 PM - Post#272938    

I remember the campus security (I suppose they are no longer called proctors) as usually making an effort to defuse and act like the proverbial Dutch uncle toward students engaging in "challenging" behavior. Maybe things are different now, but I have to wonder when a student escalates such situations.
AntiUngvar
Masters Student
Posts 530
01-19-19 12:06 AM - Post#272941    

Sir, I suppose anything's possible. But I try to give the benefit of doubt to what I've actually witnessed. And your team played a game on the Boardwalk a month ago- all I remember is Princeton #3 getting the crap kicked out of him by Iona defenders on seemingly every play down the court- and in the face of it, he remained consistently dispationate, and continued to play.
Also, the newspaper account had it that he took a swing at the officer that missed; and I understand that throwing a punch isn't shooting a 3, but somehow I don't see this kid missing a target unless he's trying to miss.

Charlie Fog
Masters Student
Posts 586
01-19-19 09:40 AM - Post#272951    

Not good
sparman
PhD Student
Posts 1339
sparman
01-19-19 12:22 PM - Post#272962    

I'm not convicting anyone until I hear the evidence. But neither am I willing to push wishful, low likelihood narratives as the more likely scenarios.

I find it ironic that you speak about what "you "actually witnessed" when you did not, in fact, actually witness this event, and conclude - to use current vernacular, without evidence - that he intended to miss. It would be nice if your prediction is right, but more rational to wait for more evidence to be brought out.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3580
01-19-19 12:47 PM - Post#272966    

So the paper is making it up that Cannaday took a swing at a campus police officer and was in a WaWa at 3;30am? Hmmmm
SecS3
Junior
Posts 246
01-19-19 01:16 PM - Post#272968    

I guess Princeton wishes this was the quintessential fake news.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3044
01-19-19 01:19 PM - Post#272971    

Even if the reported information is correct, there certainly could be more to a story that involves a young athletic male person of color dealing with the police and a predominantly white community at a convenience store in the early morning hours.

It will be interesting to hear from Cannady, or more likely, his lawyer.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-19-19 01:44 PM - Post#272979    

I would not be surpised if Princeton:
1. Hires an investigative firm to conduct a thorough but expedited investigation. It sounds like there are a number of witnesses.
2. Utilize outside counsel to guide the University throughout the decision making process.
3. Be deliberative and thoughtful in the decision making process as to what action to take, if any.

Universities live in a world where there is litigation risk regarding whatever they decide upon. It is indeed a litigous world that we live in.

There is a window until the next Ivy game, 2/1, as to the proper course of action. I wonder if Mitch has ditched his recruiting trip and has returned to Princeton.

It is fair to say that Devin is not a kid at 22 years of age and he is responsible and accountable for his actions. I have always been a big fan of his from virtually Day 1 as he plays with his heart and his soul but the University needs to do the right thing no matter what are the ramifications. Good advice from parents is simply to walk away from trouble if at all possible and use good judgment.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
01-19-19 01:46 PM - Post#272981    

Let us hope that this doesn’t end up requiring lawyers. The best that we can hope for is that cool heads prevail, there is no major disagreement about what happened and that all parties accept responsibility for their actions.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3580
01-19-19 02:00 PM - Post#272989    

I hope it’s all a giant misunderstanding and Devin is exonerated. Sadly his basketball career is in serious jeopardy now
AntiUngvar
Masters Student
Posts 530
01-19-19 02:21 PM - Post#272994    

• sparman Said:

I find it ironic that you speak about what "you "actually witnessed" when you did not, in fact, actually witness this event, and conclude - to use current vernacular, without evidence - that he intended to miss. It would be nice if your prediction is right, but more rational to wait for more evidence to be brought out.

I'm sorry- did not express that appropriately. Just hopeful the boy didn't actually throw a punch.

1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2262
1LotteryPick1969
01-19-19 04:23 PM - Post#273029    

• bradley Said:
It sounds like there are a number of witnesses

Won't there be a video?

I need some help from the lawyers on this board. Doesn't this need to go through the police/courts before the university takes action? (Unlike the Montague case, which was entirely handled within the university, had no witnesses, and no police report.)
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3044
01-19-19 07:02 PM - Post#273090    

I'm not a lawyer, but here is some information from the university that probably applies to this situation.

https://rrr.princeton.edu/university

Princeton Rights, Rules & Responsibility 2018-2019

1.2 University-wide Conduct Regulations
1.2.5 Personal Safety
Actions that threaten or endanger in any way the personal safety or security of others will be regarded as serious offenses.
The following offenses will be regarded as extremely serious:
5. Any physical assault committed in the course of any University function or activity, or on the premises of the University or in the local vicinity, especially when unprovoked and/or when injury results.
6. Any other act that seriously endangers human life, or threatens serious physical or psychological injury.

1.4 The University, the Law, and Property Rights
Members of the University community are expected to act with respect for the safety, personal rights, and property of individuals and groups both within and outside the University, and in accordance with local, state, and federal laws. Some laws, such as those governing equal opportunity and nondiscrimination, underlie fundamental University policy and have been discussed previously in this document. Principles and laws of particular importance to our academic community are discussed below.
1.4.2 Off-Campus Misconduct
While the University does not impose disciplinary penalties for misconduct off campus beyond the local vicinity or unassociated with a University-sponsored program or activity there are exceptions (for example, where such misconduct may pose a safety risk on campus or may have a continuing adverse effect or create a hostile environment on campus). Judgments about these matters will depend on facts of an individual case.
1.4.3 Violations of Local, State, or Federal Law
Violations of federal, state, or local laws by members of the University community may put the individual in personal legal jeopardy. Also, they may trigger University disciplinary action regardless of where such violations occur, particularly if they are of a serious nature and clearly violate University standards of conduct.
The University will not seek special immunity for its members if they come in conflict with the laws of the civic community, national, state, or local. However, the University's Office of General Counsel will, if asked, offer the names of attorneys in the event a community member desires to engage counsel upon being charged with a violation of the law. (Students should also consult section 2.2.13 "Legal Assistance.")
1.4.4 University Discipline and the Courts
When members of the University are faced with court proceedings for offenses committed either on or off the campus, and when University disciplinary proceedings are also appropriate, the University will normally make its own determinations promptly, whether or not court action has been brought to a conclusion.

1.6 Health and Safety Policies
1.6.1 Drugs
State Laws
New Jersey state law classifies heroin, cocaine, amphetamines, LSD, marijuana, and hashish, among other substances, as "controlled dangerous substances." The possession, use, sale, or manufacture of such substances may be subject to mandatory penalties. References to current laws may be consulted at the Office of Public Safety. (New Jersey law does provide some immunity for those who seek immediate medical assistance on behalf of themselves or others in drug overdose situations.)

University Policy Concerning Use of Illegal Drugs
The University prohibits the unlawful manufacture, dispensation, possession, use, or distribution of a controlled substance of any kind in any amount on University property, or while in the conduct of University business away from the campus. This prohibition includes the manufacture, dispensation, possession, use, or distribution of prescription drugs without a prescription. Penalties for these acts will be administered by the appropriate University administrator or committee, and in accordance with rules and procedures administered by them (for the faculty and other academic staffs, the Office of the Dean of the Faculty; for graduate students, the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School; for undergraduates, the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students; and for administrators and staff, the Office of the Vice President for Human Resources). Penalties range from warning to permanent separation from the University depending on the seriousness of the infraction and the degree to which violation of the policy adversely affects the well-being of the community or the fulfillment of the University's educational mission.

Violations of local ordinances or of state or federal laws regarding controlled dangerous substances by members of the University community may entail criminal charges and University disciplinary actions regardless of where such violations occur, if they are of a serious nature. The manufacture, sale, or distribution of illegal drugs, any involvement in illegal drug use or traffic with minors, and possession or use of the more dangerous or highly addictive drugs, are all considered serious offenses and will be handled accordingly. Depending on the particular circumstances, continued association with the University by violators of this policy may be made contingent upon satisfactory participation in a drug abuse assistance or rehabilitation program.

It is also University policy, in accordance with the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988, that all employees, as a condition of employment on projects supported out of federal funds, abide by this University policy regarding controlled dangerous substances and notify the University within five (5) days of any criminal drug statute conviction for a violation occurring at the workplace.

All members of the University community should be aware that New Jersey State law prohibits the illegal possession, use, sale, or manufacture of controlled substances and drug paraphernalia and that violators may be subject to criminal charges as well as mandatory penalties in addition to University disciplinary action. Federal law also provides for loss of certain federal benefits (including student loans and research grants) for conviction under any criminal drug statute. More information about New Jersey and federal drug laws may be obtained at the Department of Public Safety, or the Office of the General Counsel.

dperry
Postdoc
Posts 2211
dperry
01-19-19 08:53 PM - Post#273116    

• bradley Said:

Not a great advertisement for our "genius" Governor pushing for legalization of marijuana so that he can raise some tax revenue.

Murphy's intelligence or lack thereof aside, a. the pot use is alleged at the moment, and until we hear about a positive toxicology report and the filing of intoxication charges, it is premature to assume that was what caused it; b. the correlation between marijuana use and violence is mixed, at best, and certainly less strong than it is with alcohol.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

Old Bear
Postdoc
Posts 3988
01-19-19 09:01 PM - Post#273120    

THis is very sad.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-19-19 09:30 PM - Post#273126    

You would think that there is a video that would be an important piece of evidence.

There are several tracks that can be followed by the Administration as to making a decision based on reviewing Devin's actions against the rules cited by RBG or waiting the completion of the Mercer County investigation and prosecutor's decision, similar to the NFL decision making process. I suspect that Princeton will make a decision in the not too distant future based on the first track but only a guess. I believe that they will review his prior behavior as a student over the past 3 1/2 years as well as consider any mitigating factors that evening.

If he has been a good citizen, it is possible that they might suspend him for 3 to 5 games. I would suspect that they would want to get Devin's buy in and agreement regarding the disciplinary actions prior to reinstating him to avoid potential litigation down the road. If his actions were so over the edge that evening or he has a prior bad track record at Princeton, his college career may well be over. I suspect that he has been a good citizen.

In any event, Mitch and the Tigers will have to regroup. I suspect that their suspected demise may or may not be an accurate prediction but time will tell.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 6997
Chip Bayers
01-19-19 09:48 PM - Post#273128    

• dperry Said:
  • bradley Said:

Murphy's intelligence or lack thereof aside, a. the pot use is alleged at the moment, and until we hear about a positive toxicology report and the filing of intoxication charges, it is premature to assume that was what caused it; b. the correlation between marijuana use and violence is mixed, at best, and certainly less strong than it is with alcohol.

Yeah, having worked an in-dorm convenience store on late night shifts in my undergrad years, it was exceedingly rare—bordering on non-existent—to have the stoners on an early AM Dorito run get physical with anyone. Obtaining the crunchy carbs was their sole focus.

HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2685
01-19-19 10:09 PM - Post#273134    

I hope that every team is healthy and that all players stay eligible. I love the competition.

However, if a student takes a swing at a campus security officer there is no way a legitimate school like Princeton will turn the other cheek. Can’t see it.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3044
01-20-19 01:27 AM - Post#273144    

Some more info from Princeton's Rights, Rules and Responsibilities

2.2 Regulations Concerning Specific Aspects of Student Life
2.2.5 Disorderly Conduct
Students are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with the law and commonly accepted standards of behavior. Public nudity, public urination, excessive noise, combative or disruptive conduct with local medical, law enforcement, or fire personnel, misuse of paint, shaving cream, "silly string" and the like which necessitates clean-up by University staff members, or other behaviors that clearly disrupt and disrespect the working and/or living conditions of others, may be met with disciplinary sanctions.
2.2.10 Drug Policy
Princeton University does not condone the possession, use, manufacture, or distribution of illegal substances or drug paraphernalia of any kind in any amount, or the possession, use, manufacture, or distribution of prescription drugs without a prescription. Students in violation of this policy may be jeopardizing their own well-being as well as the well-being of the University community.

In general, a student who violates this policy for the first time will be placed on probation. Discipline for a second offense will be more serious and may involve lengthening the probation, campus service, and/or revocation of on-campus residential privileges. Students should expect to be suspended for a third offense. Students involved in such cases, when their conduct is in violation of the law, cannot be guaranteed immunity either from arrest or prosecution.
2.2.13 Legal Assistance
The Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students and the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School are authorized to provide specific kinds of aid to students who have been charged with violations of the law or who are actually under arrest. In such cases, University officials may:

1. Provide the student with the names of a few local attorneys; the student may or may not choose to consult with persons from this list.

2. Help to arrange bail, if the student or parents cannot provide immediate funds for bail. In special circumstances, the University may make a loan for the amount of bail (or of a bondsman's fee) if the student and/or parent so authorizes.

In all instances, the cost of bail, as well as the cost of legal counsel, are the full responsibility of the student and the student's family. The University's actions in such cases are undertaken in an effort to ensure the protection of the student's rights and safety, and are not to be construed as efforts to afford the student special treatment in respect to the law.

2.5 University Discipline
2.5.1 Jurisdiction
The Faculty-Student Committee on Discipline, comprising students, faculty members, and administrators, is responsible for the administration of the stated rules and regulations governing undergraduate student conduct, for assessing reported violations, and, when necessary, for assigning appropriate penalties.

Cases Involving Undergraduates
All alleged academic violations involving undergraduates that do not implicate the honor system (section 2.3) fall under the jurisdiction of the Faculty-Student Committee on Discipline. The Faculty-Student Committee on Discipline also adjudicates any other potentially serious alleged infraction (except allegations of sex discrimination or sexual misconduct; see section 1.3) involving undergraduate students for which the penalty might interrupt the student's academic career. The committee also considers cases for which no clear precedent exists. Where an undergraduate student is alleged to have committed a behavioral infraction for which precedents are available and for which the penalty will not interrupt the student's academic career, the Faculty-Student Committee on Discipline delegates jurisdiction to the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students. (See section 2.5.3 regarding the resolution of infractions that do not result in separation.)

2.5.2 The Faculty-Student Committee on Discipline
Membership
The committee consists of the following voting members: six members of the faculty (no more than four of whom may be present during any hearing); a dean from the Office of the Dean of the College; and eight undergraduate students (no more than five of whom may be present during any hearing). The dean of undergraduate students serves as chair and votes only in the event of a tie as set forth below, and an associate or assistant dean of undergraduate students serves as secretary without vote. A quorum consists of at least three student members and at least two faculty members. The representative from the Office of the Dean of the College shall have the duties and powers of the dean of undergraduate students in the dean's absence.

Investigation of Alleged Infractions
An assistant or associate dean will normally investigate alleged infractions under the jurisdiction of the Faculty-Student Committee on Discipline. Other representatives of the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students (including investigators retained for this purpose) may assist in the investigation of such matters.

Following the investigation, the student may obtain from the committee's secretary all documents pertaining to reports of the alleged misconduct and the names of the members of the committee. The student has the option of submitting any additional written materials that may assist the committee in reaching a decision.

Complaints of discrimination or harassment, except for complaints of sex discrimination or sexual misconduct, where the alleged behaviors are those of a student are normally investigated and resolved through the student disciplinary process, administered by the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students as described in this section. (Information relating to the University's Non-Discrimination/Anti-H arassment Policy and Complaint Procedures, including available resources and how to file a complaint under the policy, can be found at https://inclusive.princeton.edu/addressing-concern... A report or a written complaint against a student should be filed with the associate or assistant dean responsible for disciplinary matters in the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students.

All disciplinary cases involving allegations of sexual misconduct, including complaints of discrimination or harassment based on sex or gender, are investigated and adjudicated in accordance with the procedures outlined in section 1.3.

Notice and Convening of Hearings
Matters shall be presented to the committee with all reasonable promptness. In all cases referred to the Committee on Discipline, the student involved will be informed in writing of the charge(s) and of the specific day and time when the student is to appear before the committee. Where a matter is first presented to the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students within one week of the end of an academic term, it may be held for consideration in the following term.

In certain circumstances, an undergraduate student whose case falls under the jurisdiction of the Faculty-Student Committee on Discipline may request that the dean of undergraduate students adjudicate the matter, waiving the right to a hearing by the committee. If the dean agrees to hear the case, the student retains the right to appeal the decision except on procedural grounds. There are no procedural appeals in such cases.

Enrollment and Residence Status
Normally, pending action on the charges by the committee or pending an appeal, the student will be permitted to remain in residence on campus, attend classes, and make use of some or all University facilities, except for circumstances relating to the physical or emotional safety or well-being of a member (or members) of the University community, or the ability of the University to carry out its essential functions.

The student should understand that if the committee's decision proves adverse, or if an appeal proves unsuccessful, the decision of the committee will normally be considered effective as of the date of the original decision. In cases adjudicated prior to the last day of classes, if the final decision is a separation from the University (i.e., suspension, suspension with conditions, or expulsion), the student will normally not earn credit for the semester in which the infraction occurred. If the case is adjudicated during reading or exam period or if the student has successfully completed course requirements while awaiting the final disposition of the matter, obtaining credit for the semester will be at the discretion of the committee.

Pending a hearing or the student's decision about whether to appeal a separation from the University or the withholding of the degree, and/or while an appeal is in process, an administrative hold will be placed on the student's University transcript. Should the student decide not to appeal a separation or the withholding of the degree, or should an appeal not result in an alteration of the committee's decision to dismiss the student or withhold the degree, the registrar will record the fact of the penalty on the student's transcript.

Conduct of Hearings
The student may be accompanied at the committee hearing by an adviser, who must be a current member of the resident University community, and who may participate in the same manner as the student in the hearing.

At the hearing, any person with information about the matter before the committee may be requested to appear by the student, the dean of undergraduate students, or the committee, subject to reasonable limits agreed on by the committee. The student has an opportunity to explain the circumstances from a personal point of view and may also question individuals who have provided information and may in turn be questioned by the committee members.

The student may make a closing statement and is then excused while the committee deliberates in closed session.

There may be some occasions in which, because of external legal proceedings, the student believes that there are compelling reasons for refusing to speak or to answer questions. In the event that (1) legal proceedings—including but not limited to arrest, summons, and indictment—have been instituted or are anticipated against a student in state or federal courts as a result of alleged involvement in the matters that the committee is considering and (2) the alleged misconduct is more serious than a disorderly person offense, the student will be granted permission not to speak or to answer questions without prejudicing the committee's decision. In the case of other external proceedings, the dean will consider the student's reasons for declining to speak, and if these reasons are deemed legitimate, will excuse the student from giving information without prejudice to the disposition of the case. In instances as set forth above, when a student has chosen not to speak and when in the dean's judgment the committee does not have enough information to come to a conclusion without the student's testimony, at the dean's discretion the hearing may be postponed until more complete information is available. In such instances, when the dean believes that circumstances are present that seriously affect the health or well-being of any person, or where physical safety is seriously threatened, or where the ability of the University to carry out its essential operations is seriously threatened or impaired, the dean normally will bar the student from campus, pending disposition of the legal proceedings and recommencement of the hearing. This decision will be subject to review in accordance with section 1.1.8, and without prejudice to the committee's eventual consideration of the charges. If a hearing proceeds before external legal matters are resolved, the chair of the committee must explain to the student the risks either of speaking freely or of not speaking at all. Under no circumstances will a student whose disciplinary matter is pending be permitted to receive a degree.

Deliberations and Findings
In order to determine that a student has violated a University rule, a majority of the voting committee members present must conclude that the evidence presented constitutes a clear and persuasive case in support of the charges against the student. If the student is found responsible for one or more of the violations charged, the committee will consult applicable rules and precedents to determine the proper penalty. If the student is found to have misled the committee during the hearing, the committee may take that fact into account in reaching a conclusion and assigning a penalty.

If the voting members are evenly divided on a particular case, the case must be reconsidered at the next meeting of the committee. If at the second meeting at which the case is considered the regular voting members are still evenly divided, the dean of undergraduate students votes to break the tie.

The chair or the secretary of the committee informs the student promptly of the decision. If a penalty is imposed, special effort is made in this discussion to ensure that the student fully understands why the penalty was imposed and its nature and consequences. The student has the right to receive a summary report of the proceedings upon request.

Appeals in Behavioral Cases
If a student is found by the Committee on Discipline to have violated University policy, the student found responsible (sometimes referred to as the "respondent") has the right to appeal the decision.

The appellate body has the following five members: the dean of the college, the dean of the Graduate School, the vice president for campus life, the chair of the Judicial Committee of the Council of the Princeton University Community, and another faculty member appointed by the president. The members will be impartial and unbiased. One member will be appointed by the president to serve as its chair.

Each appeal will be heard by three members of the appellate body (i.e., appeal panel). The chair will assign the appeal panel for each case. All decisions shall be made by a majority of the appeal panel.

Grounds for appeal are:

The procedures have not been fair and reasonable. The period of time under review starts when a student is formally charged with a violation and ends when the committee issues a final decision. Neither the choice of venue nor the nature of the investigation is grounds for appeal.
There exists substantial relevant information that was not presented, and reasonably could not have been presented to the committee.
The imposed penalty does not fall within the range of penalties imposed for similar misconduct.
The purpose of an appeal is not to initiate a review of substantive issues of fact or a new determination of whether a violation of University rules has occurred. The appeal panel may decide to uphold the original decision of the committee; to reduce the imposed penalty; or to return the case to the original hearing body for additional proceedings, a rehearing or other action. If a student requests a review of a penalty, it cannot be increased on appeal.

The deadline for filing an appeal in a behavioral case is one week from the date of decision by the Faculty-Student Committee on Discipline.
2.5.3 Adjudication of Infractions That Do Not Result in Separation (Undergraduate)
General Procedures
Normally, if a student is alleged to have committed an infraction, other than sex discrimination or sexual misconduct, for which precedents are available and for which the penalty will not interrupt the student's academic career, the matter will be resolved by the Residential College Disciplinary Board (RCDB), comprising associate and assistant deans of undergraduate students responsible for discipline and the six directors of student life. General procedures are as follows:

The student will first be asked to meet with the appropriate director of student life. All complaints will be investigated promptly. The student may read all statements, reports, or other information relevant to the allegation. The facts of the case will be discussed and the student given ample opportunity to present the student's own account of the incident in question, including a written account, witnesses, or other relevant information, or to request clarification of any relevant information submitted by other parties. The student will be notified of the specific violation the student is alleged to have committed prior to the conclusion of the investigation.

The director of student life will then bring the case, with a recommendation regarding the student's responsibility for the alleged infraction, to the RCDB. The RCDB will determine the appropriate action, up to and including disciplinary probation (including housing and/or campus service sanctions or other restrictions on access to space, resources, or activities).

Other representatives of the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students (including investigators retained for this purpose) may assist in the investigation and/or resolution of minor infractions.

Appeals
A student has the right to appeal to the dean of undergraduate students any disciplinary decision of the Residential College Disciplinary Board. The appeal should be submitted in writing. The purpose of the appeal is to seek a review of a decision or penalty on the grounds that (1) there exists substantial relevant information that was not presented, and reasonably could not have been presented, to the dean or the RCDB; (2) the imposed penalty does not fall within the range of penalties imposed for similar misconduct; or (3) a procedural irregularity occurred in the adjudication of the incident in question. The purpose of such an appeal is not to initiate a review of substantive issues of fact, or a new determination of whether a violation of rules has occurred. The deadline for filing such an appeal is one week from the date the student was informed in writing of the penalty. The decision of the dean of undergraduate students shall be final.

2.5.4 Records of Proceedings (Undergraduate)
Confidential records of all disciplinary proceedings involving undergraduate students are maintained by the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students. The use of these documents is restricted according to the rules and procedures concerning the confidential nature of student records.

Disciplinary procedures normally involve only the student and the University. Generally, the student's family is not informed while disciplinary procedures are underway. When, however, in the judgment of the University the welfare of the student or the community warrants communication, family members may be contacted during the disciplinary process. All disciplinary decisions resulting in serious penalties (especially, but not exclusively, withholding of degree, suspension, suspension with conditions, and expulsion) will be communicated to the student's family or other legal guardian, unless the student has before the commencement of the term in question filed a statement certifying that the student is not financially dependent as defined by the federal income tax laws.

2.5.5 Penalties
Penalties that may be applied by all University disciplinary bodies are set forth under section 1.1 "University-Principles of General Conduct and Regulations."

2.5.6 Grievance Procedures
Students are also afforded certain protections under federal and state laws, and may elect to file a harassment or discrimination complaint with a federal or state agency authorized to investigate such complaints. The appropriate agency will depend on the nature of the complaint and the status of the parties involved. One such agency is the United States Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights.

Information concerning grievance procedures is available under section 1.7.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3044
01-20-19 01:32 AM - Post#273145    

With regards to penalties, here is the info from Section 1.1.

1.1 University Principles of General Conduct and Regulations
1.1.7 Range of Penalties
For violations of University-wide rules of conduct, members of the community are subject to several kinds of penalties. The applicability and exact nature of each penalty vary for faculty, academic professionals, staff and students.

The penalties for students, in ascending order of severity are:

1. Warning
A formal admonition that does not become part of an individual's permanent record, but that may be taken into account in judging the seriousness of any future violation.

2. Disciplinary Probation
A more serious admonition assigned for a definite amount of time. It implies that any future violation, of whatever kind, especially but not exclusively during that time, may be grounds for suspension, suspension with conditions, or in especially serious cases, expulsion from the University. Disciplinary probation will be taken into account in judging the seriousness of any subsequent infraction even if the probationary period has expired.

Disciplinary probation appears on an individual's permanent record at the University (but not on the transcript) and may be disclosed by the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students or the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School in response to requests for which the student has given permission or as otherwise legally required.

3. Withholding of Degree
In cases involving seniors or graduate students, the University may withhold a student's Princeton degree for a specified period of time. This penalty is imposed instead of suspension at the end of an undergraduate’s senior year or at the end of a graduate student’s program length where all other degree requirements have been met. A withheld degree is recorded on a student's transcript. Relevant information remains on the student's permanent record at the University and may be disclosed by the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students or the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School in response to requests for which the student has given permission or as otherwise legally required.

4. Suspension
Removal from membership in the University for a specified period of time. A suspension is recorded on a student's transcript. Relevant information remains on the student's permanent record at the University and may be disclosed by the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students or the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School in response to requests for which the student has given permission or as otherwise legally required.

5. Suspension with Conditions
Removal from membership in the University for at least the period of time specified by the suspension, with the suspension to continue until certain conditions, stipulated by the appropriate body applying this sanction, have been fulfilled. These conditions may include, but are not limited to, restitution of damages, formal apology, or counseling. A suspension with conditions is recorded on a student's transcript. Relevant information remains on the student's permanent record at the University and may be disclosed by the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students or the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School in response to requests for which the student has given permission or as otherwise legally required.

6. Expulsion
Permanent removal from membership in the University, without hope of readmission to the community. For members of the faculty, expulsion may involve revocation of tenure. Expulsion is recorded on a student's transcript. Relevant information remains on the student's permanent record at the University and may be disclosed by the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students or the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School in response to requests for which the student has given permission or as otherwise legally required.

7. Censure
University censure can be added to any of the other penalties listed above, except warning. Censure indicates the University's desire to underscore the seriousness of the violation and the absence of mitigating circumstances, and to convey that seriousness in response to future authorized inquiries about the given individual's conduct.

The following may accompany any of the preceding penalties:

Campus Service. Campus service up to 10 hours per week may be added to disciplinary probation for a portion or duration of the probationary period, or following a warning. This penalty may be particularly appropriate in cases involving vandalism, disorderly conduct, and alcohol-related infractions.

University Housing. When appropriate to the infraction, particularly in instances involving antisocial behavior having a serious impact on the residential community, removal from University housing or relocation within University housing may be added to any of the other penalties listed above, except warning. In the case of a first-year or sophomore, removal from housing is not an option as all underclass students must reside in a residential college. Relocation within residential colleges will be imposed only after consultation with the head of the student's residential college.

Access to Space, Resources, and Activities. When appropriate in cases involving behavioral misconduct between members of the community, restrictions may be placed on access to space and/or resources or on participation in activities so as to limit opportunities for contact among the parties.

Educational Refresher Programs. In addition to any of the penalties listed above, a student may be required to participate in educational refresher programs appropriate to the infraction.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3615
Mike Porter
01-20-19 02:36 PM - Post#273172    

This is really a shame and hope it doesn’t turn out as bad as it sounds.

Agree with those above that frankly I’ve never seen someone under influence of marijuana being violent/aggressive in the way described here. Now if there was alcohol AND marijuana involved, that could be another story.

Just would hate to see so much effort and time put into his fantastic b-ball career come to an end this way over bad decisions in a single night, but some of life’s best lessons are the hardest ones.
LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
01-20-19 03:24 PM - Post#273178    

• Mike Porter Said:
This is really a shame and hope it doesn’t turn out as bad as it sounds.

Agree with those above that frankly I’ve never seen someone under influence of marijuana being violent/aggressive in the way described here. Now if there was alcohol AND marijuana involved, that could be another story.

Just would hate to see so much effort and time put into his fantastic b-ball career come to an end this way over bad decisions in a single night, but some of life’s best lessons are the hardest ones.

First of all, stoned guys aren't violent. Violent guys are. Let's wait for the truth to come out which hopefully will be soon.

Second of all, this is another example of why Ivy teams should not schedule their travel partner games so close together. They should be spread throughout the league season just like the weekends are. We were stuck playing both Princeton games with injuries weakening us and Canady available. We now don't benefit from his suspension the way the rest of the league probably will.

Enough of the "fine young man, one moment of bad judgment, blah, blah, blah." We are all one moment of insanity away from ruining our lives. An adult either realizes that and keeps it together or blows it and faces the consequences. Maybe Canady blew it or maybe it's not as bad as it seems. Let's move on and talk basketball.
AntiUngvar
Masters Student
Posts 530
01-21-19 12:03 AM - Post#273213    

It needs to be noted at some point that none of us are perfect; and, in my humble opinion, that we tend to look at this situation the way white people have historically looked at these types of things- you need not agree, and I will have nothing more to offer on the subject.

SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4894
01-21-19 02:56 PM - Post#273246    

The Sunday L.A. Times had a squib noting this incident. I suspect the embarrassment and reputation impact of this (if the facts do not resolve in his favor) is going to be the hardest part for DC to deal with. MH has been pretty vocal in talking him up as a team leader, his nonprofit venture in Africa got publicity in past years, etc.--it's a lot to lose.
yoyo
Senior
Posts 354
01-21-19 04:39 PM - Post#273259    

Is he currently suspended from school too or just the basketball team?
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3044
01-21-19 05:15 PM - Post#273265    

From The Trentonian article and a reading of the school rules, it would seem that Cannady is just suspended from the basketball team.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2685
01-21-19 07:28 PM - Post#273281    

I'm wondering how a student can swing at a cop, get arrested, and show for an exam the next day or so. No basis for saying that of course. No idea how quickly the University can review and act.
westcoast
Senior
Posts 302
01-21-19 07:55 PM - Post#273284    

It's also very possible that Cannady had already finished his exams for the first semester by Thursday night. Most students have a lighter course load as seniors, sometimes with only 2-3 classes in addition to their senior thesis. And instead of finals, many classes have final papers, which would have been due at the end of Reading Period.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
01-21-19 08:02 PM - Post#273285    

The same way you can get busted for disorderly conduct in a bar, get out on bail and go to work the next day.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
01-21-19 08:09 PM - Post#273287    

Or likely, if you are white and went to Harvard, on your own recognizance.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21086
01-21-19 08:33 PM - Post#273289    

• Tiger69 Said:
Or likely, if you are white and went to Harvard rich, on your own recognizance.

Silver Maple
Postdoc
Posts 3765
01-21-19 08:40 PM - Post#273292    

Whether or not Cannady gets suspended or expelled from the team, I really hope that he's able to finish at Princeton and get his degree. It would be awful for him to get kicked out of school when he's so close to graduation.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
01-21-19 09:03 PM - Post#273295    

Any university that is foolish enough to make a quick decision as to suspending or expelling a student without conducting a thorough independent investigation is simply asking for trouble in this era. I have observed a fair amount of litigation when the university or organization rushed to judgement without having all the facts.

A university owes the student and other stakeholders a fair and comprehensive investigation. Hopefully, Princeton or any other school, whether Ivy or not, use a proper due diligence process. More and more, we see some people wanting to rush to judgement for a variety of reasons but cool heads should prevail. Some of the rush to judgement may be a function of wanting a certain outcome whether based on facts or not.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4894
01-21-19 09:36 PM - Post#273297    

I certainly would not expect any draconian punishment based on even the worst construction of the facts in the news media. Proximity to campus is a factor, but this incident seems far from serious enough to jeopardize a student's ability to complete his degree, with or without some period of suspension.

And of course, as I noted above and bradley has stressed, we need to have an impartial examination of the facts and context to determine what happened and how culpable the various parties are. (We've just seen a national rush to judgment about some high-school kids based on Twitter-mob-justice, to the considerable embarrassment of a number of media figures who've now gone back and deleted their hostile tweets.)

Hard to believe Wawa doesn't have relevant video, but the case is probably too low-profile for it to leak and there's a good chance nobody involved will want it released. Maybe a media outlet would press for it if the case became controversial in some way.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
01-22-19 12:11 PM - Post#273337    

I’ve tried not to speculate on events or outcomes. But, this episode has, I admit, depressed me and caused me more concern about the people involved than whatever effect it might have on a basketball season. The Princeton of my experience is a smaller institution with which many of its alumni have stronger and more personal bonds than is usual for others with their alma maters. The idea of family among team members and even within the University itself may seem trite to outsiders, but is frequently observed. With that in mind, one does not expect Princeton to walk away from one of its students in bad times — especially one in whom it has invested so much. Without dismissing any wrongdoing, I expect the U to support Cannady throughout this episode without adding any additional burden and, if punishment is eventually warranted, to administer it in a manner that will not further damage his future. He is, after all, one of the Princeton Family.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
01-22-19 12:14 PM - Post#273338    

Edit justified and acknowledged.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2685
01-22-19 12:46 PM - Post#273343    

I must preface this with my sincere hope that there are circumstances or facts that help Devin here.

Nevertheless, I must correct the flawed observation that disorderly conduct in a bar is anything like what has been reported. Disorderly conduct is a misdemeanor under NJ Law. Punching a police officer appears to be a felony classified as aggravated assault under NJ Law. Under NJ law, the officer does not need to be injured, and there are non-favorable provisions if the assault occurs while resisting arrest or against a school employee. Hopefully, the 'punch' was not as described. That could be the difference maker.

This prosecution can go in two very different directions. I agree with the posters here that hopefully the past history of a Princeton team captain and extenuating circumstances - whatever they are - have a means to intervene.
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
01-22-19 04:54 PM - Post#273354    

• LyleGold Said:

Second of all, this is another example of why Ivy teams should not schedule their travel partner games so close together. They should be spread throughout the league season just like the weekends are. We were stuck playing both Princeton games with injuries weakening us and Canady available. We now don't benefit from his suspension the way the rest of the league probably will.

If only there was some mechanism or procedure in place at the conclusion of the regular season to ensure that teams like Penn don't get screwed in this fashion and get a chance to advance to the NCAA tournament as the Ivy's best rep to advance to the second round. Especially if Canady is suspended for the year.

How could this injustice possibly be corrected? How could Penn get the proverbial "second chance" if they played a tougher Princeton team than the rest of us will?

**strokes beard**

PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3580
01-22-19 05:02 PM - Post#273355    

Those are some great ideas!
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32685
01-22-19 05:27 PM - Post#273357    

LOL----Penn just has to play as well as it has outside the conference and it will be just fine.

As for Canady, something about the entire story just doesn't make sense, but I'll withhold judgment until more facts come out.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2685
01-22-19 05:37 PM - Post#273359    

When I was in college Harvard hockey was in the process of eliminating Cornell in a chippy game at Harvard's Bright hockey arena. I think the game might have either been the season finale or an early ECAC round. College/Ivy Hockey has a no nonsense automatic suspension rule for fighting.

In the final minutes the Cornell players started hitting and pushing after the whistle. I believe a few of them were awarded penalties or ejected. Harvard had a few smaller but tremendously skilled players who were being targeted, but who could not retaliate for fear of incurring a suspension. As the game wound down and then when it ended, Harvard's Neil Sheehy became a one-man screen between his teammates and the feistier Cornell players. Neil was 6'3" and 215lbs. Neil was a nice guy and even tempered, but he was by far the meanest hombre on the ice if he wanted to be. Although a few of Harvard's players went on to NHL careers, Neil lasted far longer than any others - 10 years - because of his physicality.

I guess what I'm saying is, if a 14 game home and home round robin isn't fair, it's hard to find anything else more equitable. I say this even though my beloved Crimson could well be the team to benefit the most from the tournament this year if Towns and Aiken are healthy and practiced by that time.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3580
01-22-19 06:10 PM - Post#273360    

Who said anyone's goal was what is fair? Every single conference has an end of season tournament now and I'm pretty sure the goal of each of those is far from "What's fair".

HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2685
01-22-19 06:28 PM - Post#273361    

Fair enough or not really
JadwinGeorge
Senior
Posts 357
01-22-19 07:07 PM - Post#273362    

Henderson saying nothing on his weekly radio show. Nothing...
JadwinGeorge
Senior
Posts 357
01-22-19 07:09 PM - Post#273363    

And, BTW, it's "Cannady"
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
01-22-19 08:58 PM - Post#273369    

• JadwinGeorge Said:
And, BTW, it's "Cannady"

Ok. My bad.

We will see how things play out this season. But Mr. Cannady's legacy could very well be convincing the Penn folks that a post-season tournament is a pretty good idea after all.

Thus, ensuring the tournament's permancy.

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32685
01-22-19 09:32 PM - Post#273371    

Penn doesn't get a vote. Neither does Princeton (although it always considers itself an equal power, something Harvard and Yale never concede to).

It's all about H&Y. They decide whether there is to be a playoff in basketball or whether their game is too important in football to dilute with a national championship.
Naismith
Sophomore
Posts 149
01-22-19 10:21 PM - Post#273374    

H & Y decided there would be a tournament?
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
01-22-19 10:36 PM - Post#273375    

I don’t know why people get their undies in a bunch about the HY game at the end of the season. Army/Navy are no longer national powers, but no one I know begrudges their game played well after most seasons have ended. HY is most important to its alumni (although some older Yalies occasionally take issue). As for Princeton we can choose anyone we want as our arch rival. Given the current state in the Ivies, it could be H, Y or D.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
01-22-19 10:38 PM - Post#273376    

I don’t know why people get their undies in a bunch about the HY game at the end of the season. Army/Navy are no longer national powers, but no one I know begrudges their game played well after most seasons have ended. HY is most important to its alumni (although some older Yalies occasionally take issue). As for Princeton we can choose anyone we want as our arch rival. Given the current state in the Ivies, it could be H, Y or D.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21086
01-22-19 11:08 PM - Post#273378    

• Tiger69 Said:
I don’t know why people get their undies in a bunch about the HY game at the end of the season.

It's in the broader context of the issues P38 raises. It's having that "game" being "The Game" (if only to H and Y boosters) while depriving the IL as a whole of competing for a national championship.

Army and Navy are DI schools--the IL is not in football, so the comparison does not work.

Is there any sport in the IL where teams are not allowed to compete for a national title?

Didn't think so.

Dial Lodge
Sophomore
Posts 169
01-23-19 11:53 AM - Post#273385    

• Tiger69 Said:
Doesn’t sound good. Unlike many of us (including me), Devon’s screw-up has a huge audience and potentially life disrupting consequences. I wish him the best and hope that, whatever actually happened, he owns up to it and learns from it. It would be terrible for someone with so much promise to get untracked.

Something similar happened in about 1980. One of the stars on one of the major sports teams pushed or hit one of the campus policeman in a kind of a melee at a party, and he was suspended for a year.

His life wasn't ruined. He came back, graduated and has done fine post-graduation, and works in a position that requires a professional license.

Regardless of the short-term results of this, it's unlikely that Cannady's life will be ruined by this incident.

Good luck to him.
LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
01-23-19 12:00 PM - Post#273386    

• Tiger69 Said:
Army/Navy are no longer national powers, but no one I know begrudges their game played well after most seasons have ended. HY is most important to its alumni (although some older Yalies occasionally take issue).

There's no comparison there. Army and Navy can still play in bowl games afterwards. Harvard and Yale get to fire the final salvo in Ivy League football and then celebrate their own greatness. An Ivy team, especially a non H-Y one, going on to the playoffs would diminish the sacredness of The Game. It's totally self-serving and has no other rationale than that.

LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
01-23-19 12:14 PM - Post#273388    

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:

I guess what I'm saying is, if a 14 game home and home round robin isn't fair, it's hard to find anything else more equitable. I say this even though my beloved Crimson could well be the team to benefit the most from the tournament this year if Towns and Aiken are healthy and practiced by that time.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the Fourteen Game Tournament is unfair. It's eminently fair and would never have been abandoned if fairness were the only criterion. The current format of the Ivy Tournament somewhat devalues the regular season without making it irrelevant, which an eight team tournament would do. Still, if you recall the first year of the tournament, #4 seed Penn barely squeaked in with a 6-8 league record and lost to undefeated Princeton in OT at the Palestra. If Matt Howard hadn't choked at the foul line in the closing seconds of regulation, there would have been howls throughout the league. Last year's tournament showed how great it could be because it produced a de facto playoff game between the co-champs of the regular season, which would have happened in the old days anyhow. My only contention is that clustering home and home matchups between travel partners distorts the symmetry of the league schedule that helps ensure that the best team over the course of the season emerges with the best record.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2685
01-23-19 01:12 PM - Post#273392    

It takes rare circumstances for the clustering to have an effect. Of course, by having the tournament on consecutive days such clustering is even more likely. But decoupling home court advantage from league results is far more prejudicial, as evidenced by your recounting the results of the only two tournaments thus far. Timing pales in comparison to unearned HCA.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2262
1LotteryPick1969
01-23-19 01:15 PM - Post#273393    

• Dial Lodge Said:
  • Tiger69 Said:

Something similar happened in about 1980. One of the stars on one of the major sports teams pushed or hit one of the campus policeman in a kind of a melee at a party, and he was suspended for a year.

His life wasn't ruined. He came back, graduated and has done fine post-graduation, and works in a position that requires a professional license.

Regardless of the short-term results of this, it's unlikely that Cannady's life will be ruined by this incident.

Good luck to him.

Thanks for this anecdote. In all of this, my hope is all works out well for DC3.

Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
01-23-19 02:18 PM - Post#273396    

• LyleGold Said:

I don't think anyone is arguing that the Fourteen Game Tournament is unfair.

But people *did* argue that the old system was far from perfect, throwing out scenarios that were pretty close to what's going on now this season to support the implementation of a post-season tournament.

(There were other arguments as well, but I'm not going to re-hash them here).
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32685
01-23-19 02:42 PM - Post#273398    

Well, HCA is now determined in advance so it is not an issue at all. The League is determined to play at league sites, so there will be "unearned HCA" no matter what happens. And last year, all that happened is that the final was played at the Palestra rather than a neutral site.

Either we have a tournament or not--that is the choice, and frankly, I don't think it is going back to the old system.
LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
01-23-19 02:53 PM - Post#273399    

• palestra38 Said:

Either we have a tournament or not--that is the choice, and frankly, I don't think it is going back to the old system.

No, of course it isn't. The current system is a good compromise that provides the spectacle the league wants (and probably feels it needs) while maintaining a degree of regular season relevance. It could be argued, however, that only teams with winning league records should qualify for the tournament. If the fourth place team finished 6-8 (i.e. Penn 2017), the #1 seed would get a bye into the championship game. That would make sense and be fair, but the league would never truncate its spectacle to achieve that end.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2685
01-23-19 02:59 PM - Post#273402    

Under this system HCA remains always relevant and never earned. Seems impactful and unfortunate to me.

LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
01-23-19 03:08 PM - Post#273403    

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
It takes rare circumstances for the clustering to have an effect.

I really don't think so. Sure, this year the debilitating injuries to key Penn players and subsequent suspension of Cannady created such rare circumstances. However, every season sees teams evolve as the league takes shape. The Ivy weekends span that period of time so as to equitably capture those changes. By the end of the six weekend rotation, everyone has played everyone else at different stages of the process. By that argument, the clustering always has a distorting effect. It only makes sense that the partner games follow the same pattern. (Play your first partner game during the initial series of weekends; play the return game during the repeat series.) In fact, it should be mandated to ensure the legitimacy of the double round robin.

LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
01-23-19 03:26 PM - Post#273404    

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
Under this system HCA remains always relevant and never earned. Seems impactful and unfortunate to me.

So what are you suggesting? Always have the tournament at a neutral site? Have the #1 seed host it?

I wonder how much the inadequacy of Lavietes colors your opinion.
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2685
01-23-19 04:41 PM - Post#273407    

We’ve been over this,
My suggestion has always been #1 seed or Mohegan Sun
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32685
01-23-19 05:21 PM - Post#273409    

And neither of those is happening. What about the Ivies playing in the FCS championship. That's all prevented by Harvard and Yale? You want fairness?
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2685
01-23-19 05:44 PM - Post#273410    

I just answered the question.
I don’t make the rules
Cvonvorys
Postdoc
Posts 4438
Cvonvorys
01-23-19 06:01 PM - Post#273412    

To get back on topic...

• rbg Said:
Even if the reported information is correct, there certainly could be more to a story that involves a young athletic male person of color dealing with the police and a predominantly white community at a convenience store in the early morning hours.

• AntiUngvar Said:
It needs to be noted at some point that none of us are perfect; and, in my humble opinion, that we tend to look at this situation the way white people have historically looked at these types of things- you need not agree, and I will have nothing more to offer on the subject.

It really is sad when one has to immediately interject race into the conversation. Bad/reckless behavior is wrong regardless of skin color... According to news reports, "Campus police were called to the store at 3:30 a.m. Friday. Officials said Cannady pushed customers and threatened others during the incident."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketba ll/story/...

So if Campus Police were called in, this incident was one that lasted more than a couple minutes and is serious, regardless of whether Cannady is black, white, brown, red, yellow, or purple.

As a long-time Princeton resident (and in the interest of full disclosure, a Penn Grad) I can assure y'all that there is nothing racial about this event... At least from a law enforcement perspective.

To a hammer, everything is a nail. To some, everything is racially biased.

I have no doubt that the Princeton Athletic Department and the Mercer County Prosecutor's Office will handle this fairly. And I have no doubt that Devin will come out of this just fine...

PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3580
01-23-19 06:03 PM - Post#273413    

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
We’ve been over this,
My suggestion has always been #1 seed or Mohegan Sun

We have been over this and the answer to your 2 suggestions (for everyone else’s benefit )are:

No, because a stated goal is men and women at same site. And:

No, because another stated goal (as evidenced by this year’s location) is to highlight the member team campuses.

And another goal that has been clearly left out is any idea of fairness.

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32685
01-23-19 06:27 PM - Post#273414    

I think that what is questionable is that it is so completely out of character that we are not getting the full story. And only one person tied it to race, and was quickly corrected. A lot of facts still need to come out here before one can come to any conclusions.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21086
01-23-19 06:44 PM - Post#273415    

• palestra38 Said:
I think that what is questionable is that it is so completely out of character that we are not getting the full story. And only one person tied it to race, and was quickly corrected. A lot of facts still need to come out here before one can come to any conclusions.

We don't know what we don't know, but race cannot help but be involved at the structural level here at minimum.

Cvonvorys
Postdoc
Posts 4438
Cvonvorys
01-23-19 06:51 PM - Post#273416    

• penn nation Said:
We don't know what we don't know, but race cannot help but be involved at the structural level here at minimum.

Penn Nation... Might I suggest you opine on something you know a little something about? And might I suggest I know more about my town than you do?

Like I said... To a hammer, everything is a nail.

penn nation
Professor
Posts 21086
01-23-19 06:58 PM - Post#273417    

I have taught about inequality in its various forms as a college professor for most of the 21st century.

So it's a subject I have a bit of experience with.
Cvonvorys
Postdoc
Posts 4438
Cvonvorys
01-23-19 08:23 PM - Post#273420    

And specifically... What do you know about "inequality" here in Princeton New Jersey?

Otherwise, your lectures are only what... Academic? You'd be wise to keep your hammer in your tool box...
AntiUngvar
Masters Student
Posts 530
01-24-19 11:08 AM - Post#273454    

Mr. Nation may not know Princeton; but he probably knows something more than most about the nation of white people.

TigerFan
PhD Student
Posts 1871
01-24-19 03:02 PM - Post#273468    

I’ve been “lurking” quietly on this thread but now feel compelled to weigh in. I grew up in Princeton, attended its public schools from K through 12 before attending Princeton U. I have not lived there since the mid 80s but live nearby now.

Like most towns in America, Princeton has had a checkered history with race, but the town is very self-aware. It’s also gradually diversified over the years from 90 percent white to somewhere in the low 60s percent white.

Long before there was Pete’s “Princeton System,” there was the “Princeton Plan,” a strategy to integrate the town’s schools that was implemented in the 1940s to national notoriety. I’m sure Penn Nation is familiar with that history—opinions are all over the place as to whether it was a success or failure but it was an effort that belied Princeton’s reputation in those days as the “southern most northern town.” It’s a punch line to say that “many of my friends are black” but ... well Princeton’s busing plan put me in that category growing up. I can honestly say that I have absolutely no memory of hearing the N-word until my freshman year in college. (Alas I heard it plenty at PU). I’m a little ashamed to admit I have never had as many African American friends since graduating from the Princeton public schools.

I don’t mean to suggest that the town is perfect. No town is and Princeton has plenty of warts. (The town basically pretended that one of its greatest native sons—Paul Robeson, who was born in Princeton—didn’t exist until relatively recently, although that may have had as much to do with his avowed socialism as his race). There have been stupid kids saying stupid things on school buses etc. in recent years and I’m sure anyone who wanted to dig could find plenty to be outraged about.

I am saying that to automatically jump to race and to point fingers at what one author described as a “white town” does everyone a disservice, including a young man who, but for a few alleged unfortunte moments, seemed to lead an exemplary life.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21086
01-24-19 03:33 PM - Post#273471    

I'll chime in one last time, briefly.

My post was not intended to be about Princeton per se, simply about the much larger and deeper institutional fabric of our society.

My intent was also not to cast blame on either the officer or Cannady for what allegedly happened.

That's all.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
01-24-19 07:44 PM - Post#273480    

If ever one could honestly say, “He took the words right out of my mouth”, I feel that way about most of what TigerFan said above. I also grew up in Princeton, starting in the Nassau Street School, kindergarten through Third Grade, then transferring to a local private school through Eighth until being shipped off to a prep school which probably got me into Princeton just prior to coeducation. I can honestly say that I have nothing but pleasant memories of my innocent few years of public school. My best friends then were both black and white (although I’m pretty sure I didn’t think in those terms then). Today, if one were to ask me to name as many of my Third Grade classmates as possible, I would recall more black than white. Ironically, I would meet one of my young black friends again as another member of my class at Princeton. He, however, did not have my private school preparation. When I arrived in private school in Fourth Grade a few short blocks from Nassau St. School, I heard for the first time the derogatory names that white children of those days used for young black children. I recall being uncomfortable because I knew that they were talking about my closest friends of only a few months before. Princeton had, I am told, a wonderful public school system back in the mid 1950s. But, the Town was largely segregated as I remember where all my young black friends lived. As I have grown older I have sometimes wished that I had had the more “normal” (for that time) experience of getting a public education. I believe that I would have been a much more mature, and better adjusted, teen. I also believe that I would now have more close friends who are black. But, sadly, my spot in the Class of 1969 would probably have been filled by another marginal prep school student.
AntiUngvar
Masters Student
Posts 530
01-24-19 08:28 PM - Post#273486    

Tiger:
I'll admit that I've been white for practically as long as you; and it's sad for me to report that we don't make too many like you- not in Princeton, or anywhere else; it's just how it is.

Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12480
01-26-19 09:14 AM - Post#273601    

Lots to unpack in this one but I can’t get over the shots fired at pot. It’s 2019. How can people still have these antiquated opinions?

I hope for Cannady’s sake that there are answers.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2262
1LotteryPick1969
01-26-19 04:15 PM - Post#273619    

• Quakers03 Said:
I can’t get over the shots fired at pot. It’s 2019. How can people still have these antiquated opinions?

Society will do what it wants on this issue; I don't care personally at this point in my life, but....here's what NIH NIDA says:

"Marijuana use can lead to the development of problem use, known as a marijuana use disorder, which takes the form of addiction in severe cases. Recent data suggest that 30 percent of those who use marijuana may have some degree of marijuana use disorder. People who begin using marijuana before the age of 18 are four to seven times more likely to develop a marijuana use disorder than adults.

Marijuana use disorders are often associated with dependence—in which a person feels withdrawal symptoms when not taking the drug. People who use marijuana frequently often report irritability, mood and sleep difficulties, decreased appetite, cravings, restlessness, and/or various forms of physical discomfort that peak within the first week after quitting and last up to 2 weeks. Marijuana dependence occurs when the brain adapts to large amounts of the drug by reducing production of and sensitivity to its own endocannabinoid neurotransmitters.

Marijuana use disorder becomes addiction when the person cannot stop using the drug even though it interferes with many aspects of his or her life. Estimates of the number of people addicted to marijuana are controversial, in part because epidemiological studies of substance use often use dependence as a proxy for addiction even though it is possible to be dependent without being addicted. Those studies suggest that 9 percent of people who use marijuana will become dependent on it, rising to about 17 percent in those who start using in their teens."
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32685
01-26-19 04:29 PM - Post#273620    

Of course, overdoing alcohol kills, so psychological dependence to marijuana is pretty tame in comparison with another legal drug. I think 100 years of prohibition has not been good policy when people will find it and use it anyway.

The real issue here, however, was the fact that marijuana almost never causes aggression. So the information released raises questions.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2262
1LotteryPick1969
01-26-19 05:02 PM - Post#273622    

• palestra38 Said:
almost never

Well, hardly ever

1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2262
1LotteryPick1969
01-26-19 05:07 PM - Post#273625    

For the old farts on this site:

Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology and Therapeutics:

"Acute coronary syndrome triggered by marijuana exposure may include angina pectoris, myocardial infarction, and sudden cardiac death. In a 2001 publication by Mittleman et al, 3882 patients with acute myocardial infarction were assessed for marijuana use, revealing a 4.8-fold increase in the risk of myocardial infarction in the first hour after marijuana use compared to nonusers.24 Further review of this cohort and other case reports suggest that marijuana-associated myocardial infarction occurs in a relatively young population, as young as 20 years old, and that while additional risk factors, such as tobacco use, are often present, marijuana may serve as a sole risk factor."
LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
01-26-19 05:46 PM - Post#273643    

My guess is that the increase in heart attacks in the first hour after marijuana use was caused by massive intake of potato chips and onion dip.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2262
1LotteryPick1969
01-26-19 06:37 PM - Post#273651    

Not Doritos?
LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
01-26-19 07:01 PM - Post#273658    

Doritos munchies is less likely to cause a heart attack since salsa won’t clog the arteties as much as onion dip.

Okay, I’m off to the Palestra for the potential Big 5 sweep against St. Joe’s. If it comes down to AJ or Antonio at the line, there may br a rash of coronaries tonight!
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3615
Mike Porter
01-26-19 07:15 PM - Post#273662    

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.iflscience.com/he...

At least one study shows nicotine and alcohol are worse for you than marijuana...
LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
01-26-19 07:30 PM - Post#273666    

What about compared to Penn at the foul line?
Bruno
PhD Student
Posts 1414
01-30-19 12:54 AM - Post#274125    

What a thread. From Princeton’s racial history to the merits and drawbacks of weed. Wow guys.

My dirty secret is that despite my Brown allegiance I too grew up in Princeton - in the 80s. Yes - some racial tensions. My other dirty secret is I smoke the occasional bud. No - it does not make me belligerent.

Neither of those things suggest anything about what actually happened, or whether or not this was understandable or justified on some level. Or if it was just an inebriated college student who lost his inhibitions and judgment.

We won’t know until we know, and we may never know.

You just hope this doesn’t derail this young man.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

jeromelh
Junior
Posts 202
01-30-19 07:36 AM - Post#274128    

With the massive number of deaths due to alcohol and opioids, it is important to remember that NO one has ever died of cannabis. In addition, if you take it as an oil or vape, you eliminate the toxins associated with smoking weed.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2262
1LotteryPick1969
01-30-19 07:59 AM - Post#274129    

• jeromelh Said:
With the massive number of deaths due to alcohol and opioids, it is important to remember that NO one has ever died of cannabis. In addition, if you take it as an oil or vape, you eliminate the toxins associated with smoking weed.

I agree that direct deterministic death from cannabis OD is unknown, but the stochastic relationship to death from myocardial infarction exists.

Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology and Therapeutics:
Acute coronary syndrome triggered by marijuana exposure may include angina pectoris, myocardial infarction, and sudden cardiac death.

Patients are being asked to get "clearance" from their cardiologist for medical marijuana, which of course is not possible.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21086
01-30-19 08:32 AM - Post#274130    

• jeromelh Said:
In addition, if you take it as an oil or vape, you eliminate the toxins associated with smoking weed.

Vaping is probably one of the most serious challenges facing our youth today. It is a gateway to a whole host of problems. Our schools are recognizing this and educating us (both students and parents) in ways that were so sorely lacking a generation ago.

jeromelh
Junior
Posts 202
01-30-19 12:37 PM - Post#274145    

Hi Penn nation and Lottery
Thanks for your responses. However, both of you are not understanding cannabis and, in this case, medical cannabis (in my humble opinion).
First of all, the article cited is related to marijuana smoke (that is how I remember it). When you smoke a joint, you are exposed to many toxins such as carbon monoxide. Many of these toxins are known to cause cardiac spasm. When you use medical marijuana by sub-lingual or inhaler, you are not exposed to the toxins. The author is giving us the impression that it is related to cannabis but there is no basis for this conclusion. When you use a vape you use it once or twice a day only with one inhalation and this is not going to give rise to any problems such as encountered with those in vape stores.
Lottery you said “I agree that direct deterministic death from cannabis OD is unknown, but the stochastic relationship to death from myocardial infarction exists.”
Opponents have been trying to prove for years that cannabis exposure can cause death and have utterly failed. And there is a reason for this. While there are more cannabis receptors in the brain than opioid receptors, there are NO cannabis receptors in the midbrain which I am sure you know controls respiratory and cardiac rate. There are numerous opioid receptors in the midbrain which explains death due to opioid overdose. With all of the people on medical marijuana in this country, we would have seen coronary spasm by now if it was causative.
Two years ago, I was an opponent of medical marijuana. Now I am an advocate.

1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2262
1LotteryPick1969
01-30-19 01:09 PM - Post#274149    

Interesting.

I'm not interested in medical marijuana, just recreational, and only as an observer.

There are more ways to cause a heart attack than spasm.

From Cardiology and Therapeutics June 2018:

"Despite overwhelming public perception of the safety of these substances, an increasing number of serious cardiovascular adverse events have been reported in temporal relation to recreational cannabis use. These have included sudden cardiac death, vascular (coronary, cerebral and peripheral) events, arrhythmias and stress cardiomyopathy among others. Many of the victims of these events are relatively young men with few if any cardiovascular risk factors. However, there are reasons to believe that older individuals and those with risk factors for or established cardiovascular disease are at even higher danger of such events following exposure to cannabis. The pathophysiological basis of these events is not fully understood and likely encompasses a complex interaction between the active ingredients (particularly the major cannabinoid, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol), and the endo-cannabinoid system, autonomic nervous system, as well as other receptor and non-receptor mediated pathways. Other complicating factors include opposing physiologic effects of other cannabinoids (predominantly cannabidiol), presence of regulatory proteins that act as metabolizing enzymes, binding molecules, or ligands, as well as functional polymorphisms of target receptors. Tolerance to the effects of cannabis may also develop on repeated exposures at least in part due to receptor downregulation or desensitization."

The bold script added by me.
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
01-30-19 01:15 PM - Post#274152    

This is an interesting discussion that deserves its own AMA thread.

Who believes that Princeton can survive a brief Cannady absence of, say, 5 games and then emerge stronger for the experience gained during his absence? Just wishful thinking?
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2262
1LotteryPick1969
01-30-19 01:19 PM - Post#274153    

• Tiger69 Said:

Who believes that Princeton can survive a brief Cannady absence of, say, 5 games and then emerge stronger for the experience gained during his absence? Just wishful thinking?

Dunno. Just waiting to hear...........
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
01-30-19 01:22 PM - Post#274154    

PS. In my modest past of perhaps a couple of dozen joint experiences I only experienced one occasion where I had a perceivable effect. And that was pleasant (sort of). Someone told a weak joke, but I laughed uncontrollably for nearly a half hour. Sadly, the usual effect was a sore throat.
yoyo
Senior
Posts 354
01-30-19 01:24 PM - Post#274155    

I like pot and I smoke it a lot
HARVARDDADGRAD
Postdoc
Posts 2685
01-30-19 02:06 PM - Post#274169    

You might qualify for SCOTUS in the next administration then. Remember that mantra and keep repeating it in all future congressional hearings.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32685
01-30-19 02:18 PM - Post#274174    

Wasn't that line in the Lost Dr. Suess story? You know, the one about how the Onceler got to looking like an 80 year old Jerry Garcia?
jeromelh
Junior
Posts 202
01-30-19 02:37 PM - Post#274179    

Sorry for the long post off subject . I will get off my soapbox

1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2262
1LotteryPick1969
01-30-19 03:26 PM - Post#274185    

• palestra38 Said:
Wasn't that line in the Lost Dr. Suess story?

Funny!
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21086
01-30-19 03:45 PM - Post#274186    

Jerome:

Don't get me wrong. I'm an advocate for medical marijuana and, for that matter, for marijuana's general legalization (assuming it is properly regulated).

It's just that the youth of our country get introduced relatively harmlessly to vaping via marijuana as you've described, which then makes them think it's no big deal in general (if said marijuana is legalized and properly regulated, even less of an issue since quality control is thereby not the primary concern). Then they move onto other stuff, and they are out of their league in no time.

OK, off my soapbox. We can take this up further in the OTB if desired.
penn nation
Professor
Posts 21086
01-30-19 03:48 PM - Post#274187    

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
You might qualify for SCOTUS in the next administration then. Remember that mantra and keep repeating it in all future congressional hearings.

Didn't work out so well for Douglas Ginsburg, though.

Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
01-31-19 02:11 PM - Post#274272    

• jeromelh Said:
it is important to remember that NO one has ever died of cannabis.

THat's not my recollection of what Nancy Reagan said on Diff'rent Strokes.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32685
01-31-19 02:12 PM - Post#274274    

Or that landmark Dragnet in the late '60s (the second version with Harry Morgan and Jack Webb) where the stoned hippies forgot they had the baby in the bathtub.
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
01-31-19 05:01 PM - Post#274300    

• palestra38 Said:
Or that landmark Dragnet in the late '60s (the second version with Harry Morgan and Jack Webb) where the stoned hippies forgot they had the baby in the bathtub.

IMHO, Harry Morgan never got his due. It takes a actor of great talent to convincingly star on arguably the most conservative and most liberal (for their times, anyway) television shows.

Eric Von Zipper
Senior
Posts 343
01-31-19 08:50 PM - Post#274318    

Morgan, 81, was charged July 7 with misdemeanor spousal battery after a confrontation in their Brentwood home left Barbara Morgan, his 70-year-old wife of 10 years, bruised and bloodied.

Nice guy.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
02-01-19 09:59 AM - Post#274353    

• Tiger69 Said:

I believe that the loss of Cannady for a minimum of the next 4 IL games will be very challenging and needless to say if he is gone for the season, it will be problematic if they participate in IvyMadness. Presently, there are not great options to replace Devin's 3 pt shooting, i.e. Wright, Schwieger etc. One partial hope is that DesRosiers and Much and possibly Johns starting shooting 3s' 7% higher than y-t-d.

For me and I realize that I am in the minority, IL regular season champion is what counts and if the Tigers get into IvyMadness in the 3rd or 4th slot and then win the silly tournament with Cannady, I simply do not care.

Cannady's absence will make it very very challenging to win the regular season but let's play the games to find out.

Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
02-01-19 10:23 AM - Post#274365    

I’m also with you in the minority and want the real championship. The NCAAs are fun, but are still, at best, two games. For the Ivies they are and probably will remain a spectacle. I still hope that we can get through the next few games in a position to compete for the Championship. Hurry back, Devon.
sparman
PhD Student
Posts 1339
sparman
02-01-19 10:23 AM - Post#274366    

I don't think you are in a minority on the Princeton board. Certainly on the Dartmouth board, however.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32685
02-01-19 10:28 AM - Post#274367    

Yeah, but you dinosaurs (and I am one too) also like the exams after vacation, which the current students hate. BTW, is there a single current or recent Princeton student who posts here?
sparman
PhD Student
Posts 1339
sparman
02-01-19 10:46 AM - Post#274369    

Being increasingly anti-ageist, I probably define "recent" more expansively than you do.
JadwinGeorge
Senior
Posts 357
02-01-19 12:08 PM - Post#274382    

Let's all get on the same page. The young man's name is "Devin Cannady"
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
02-01-19 02:56 PM - Post#274416    

Sorry, my bad. You may have set me straight on Myles about this time last year🐅
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
02-01-19 07:01 PM - Post#274476    

• Eric Von Zipper Said:
Morgan, 81, was charged July 7 with misdemeanor spousal battery after a confrontation in their Brentwood home left Barbara Morgan, his 70-year-old wife of 10 years, bruised and bloodied.

Nice guy.

Great actor.

crappy guy.
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
02-01-19 07:04 PM - Post#274477    

• sparman Said:
I don't think you are in a minority on the Princeton board. Certainly on the Dartmouth board, however.

Let's wait and see how Princeton reacts when they pull a 2016 Holy Cross (as a 4th seed anyway).

Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
02-02-19 09:58 AM - Post#274721    

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety...

Hmmm....
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
02-02-19 03:07 PM - Post#274763    

And your point ...?
Bruno
PhD Student
Posts 1414
02-02-19 04:57 PM - Post#274777    

That marijuana = certain and immediate death.

And from someone called Go Green no less.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
02-02-19 10:03 PM - Post#274817    

• Tiger69 Said:
And your point ...?

Do sports, not drugs.

You disagree?
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
02-03-19 12:24 AM - Post#274870    

Duh. Stick to training. But for the law, however, a joint or two is no worse than a drink or two or a smoke or two. Let’s keep things in perspective. No one would say that a player doesn’t have a responsibility to his teammates, especially a senior captain.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3044
02-06-19 12:15 PM - Post#275217    

bradley wrote that there was no mention of Devin Cannady at last night's radio show.

There does not seem to be any updates from the school or the student paper.

It will be interesting to see how things with Princeton and Cannady play out in comparison to its Big Ten neighbors.

The Rutgers women's team indefinitely suspended senior forward Caitlin Jenkins this weekend after she was arrested and charged with simple assault and criminal mischief.

Jenkins is not the team's best player, but she averages 19.6 minutes, 6.0 points and 6.8 rebounds a game.

https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2019/02/rutge rs-womens-...

According to the article, both charges against Jenkins are disorderly person offenses. According to The Trentonian article on Cannady's arrest, he faces charges of aggravated assault, a felony indictable, along with resisting arrest and improper behavior — both disorderly persons offenses.

(The Rutgers response may be a bit tricky since the article notes that they just recruited a transfer from Baylor who has had her own recent legal problems.)
Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2801
02-06-19 01:06 PM - Post#275232    

My guess is that the U will not act until DC’s court date which, hopefully, is soon.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3044
02-26-19 09:35 AM - Post#278031    

After having his team suspension lifted on February 8th and playing the games against Yale, Brown, Harvard and Dartmouth, Devin Cannady did not play last weekend for undisclosed reasons.

The Mercer County Prosecutor's Office downgraded the indictable charge of aggravated assault to a disorderly persons offense. The case was then remanded to the Princeton Municipal Court.

http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/article/2019/02/b...

Cannady's case at the Princeton Municipal Court was held on Monday the 25th. Since his lawyer said that he had received documents from the Prosecutor's Office only the day before the case, Cannady was granted an adjournment for charges of simple assault, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, and being under the influence without a prescription.

The case is set to resume on Monday March 4th at 1:00 pm.

http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/article/2019/02/c...

FWIW, there is an update on the Rutgers women's basketball player who was mentioned in my previous post. Caitlin Jenkins was dismissed from the team last Thursday, following her arrest by campus police for simple assault and criminal mischief - both disorderly person charges.

https://www.nj.com/rutgerswomen/2019/02/ caitlin-je...

The Rutgers women's team also dismissed its starting point guard on Monday. CC Cryor had been suspended for the first 8 games due to a violation of team policy. She violated the same issue and was then dropped from the team. Also, on Sunday, the team's coach C. Vivian Stringer took a leave of absence for health reasons.

https://www.onthebanks.com/2019/2/25/18239940/re po...

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.252 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:03 PM