Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Cornell
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6418
01-31-19 09:43 PM - Post#274321    

So how do we feel about tomorrow? We managed to stop Morgan last year (held him to his two lowest scoring games of the year, and he shot under 25%). But a lot of that was Foreman. I like that we presumably have choices here with Goodman and Woods, but Boeheim presents an interesting matchup. I assume Washington can handle him, but if not, I guess it might be Woods, despite the big height difference. Which would leave Goodman on Morgan.

QHoops
Senior
Posts 369
01-31-19 10:34 PM - Post#274322    

I'd vote for Woods on Morgan, and take our chances on Washington on Boeheim.

Morgan can obviously go off in a big way. I don't think anyone else has proven they can beat you.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
01-31-19 11:59 PM - Post#274327    

Boeheim is a very nice Ivy player with a 101.5 ORAT.

Morgan has scored 2,000 points and is one of the best scorers in Ivy League history.

Woods is our best defensive player.

Personally, I’d definitely play Woods on Morgan as first option and see how Washington can do on Boeheim and adjust as needed.

Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-01-19 12:02 AM - Post#274328    

In general, we only won last year by 8 points away at Cornell. This is a really tough road trip and expect a highly contested game, but hoping we can come out on top.

Starting 0-2 in a tough league, every game is a must win at this point to make sure we get to Ivy Madness...
SteveChop
PhD Student
Posts 1156
02-01-19 12:15 AM - Post#274329    

However, last year Cornell was the Saturday game. Always tough on the second night of road weekends and, while I don't remember whether this was the case, Saturday night Ivy games tend to have the worst referees.

With that said, this will be a tough weekend. Glad that the last two weeks we have found some new contributors in Kuba and an improving Jarrod which will allow Steve to go to his bench more.

LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
02-01-19 12:24 AM - Post#274330    

Kuba took a bit of a step backwards against St. Joe’s, but he still looks like a player. Jarrod, on the other hand, was plain awful and will likely only see meaningful minutes if we’re really desperate.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-01-19 12:57 AM - Post#274332    

Simmons has a bad game against St. Joes but in fairness had a good game against a better Temple squad. I expect Max to play more again but be surprised is Jarrod doesn’t get some run this weekend... especially in first half. His athleticism could help against Columbia bigs more so but let’s see.
LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
02-01-19 07:49 AM - Post#274338    

Of course I'm hoping that the Temple game was a better indication of what we can expect from Simmons, but the obvious question is which was the aberration. Jarred has struggled throughout his career to consistently fit in which Donahue's system and frequently seems lost out there. The occasional flashes of potential he showed only frustrated us that much more.

Then came the Temple game when injuries and fouls to others thrust Jarred into a crucial situation and he responded with confidence. He let the game come to him and was effective inside, outside, defensively, and on the boards. It was a revelation and perhaps a breakout game.

Then came the St. Joe's game. We experimented with that weird four man substitution in the first half as part of a strategy to wear down a thin Hawks lineup. Jarred missed a wide open layup badly - overshooting the basket from about six inches away. Rather than dunk the ball or just smoothly finish his shot, it was the classic sign of a player who is pressing or thinking too much. He then compounded things by going into a daze, missing coverages, and generally disappearing. Same old Jarred.

He spent much of the remainder of the half on the bench with Max seated next to him with his arm draped across Jarred's shoulders. Max animatedly counseled him as though he were helping him through some sort of crisis. I was watching that interaction closely from behind the Penn bench, none of which would have been apparent to people stranded in front of their computer screens in California. Considering Donahue's history of using non-league games (even decisive Big 5 games) to experiment and then shortening his bench for league games, I'd be surprised to see much, if any, of Jarred this weekend unless Steve is convinced that the St. Joe's brain freeze was the outlier. There's at least an equal chance that the Temple game was.
Charlie Fog
Masters Student
Posts 587
02-01-19 08:16 AM - Post#274339    

I can see JS playing some good minutes against an athletic Columbia team.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6418
02-01-19 08:53 AM - Post#274343    

All true, but it is also possible that Morgan is too quick for Woods, and therefore Goodman is the better matchup. And remember we had this same debate about who should guard Canady, and that was exclusively Goodman for two games.

The reason Boeheim makes me nervous is mainly that Cornell looks like they will play big, which is exactly what Princeton did against us. And they will have the ability to play any of those bigs on the perimeter— which is exactly what Princeton did against us to keep Wang off the defensive glass. They don’t have anything remotely like Aririguzoh or Stephens, but they will probably do an imitation of what Princeton did. Of course, the reason Princeton beat us had little to do with their offense — they won because of the way they defended us both games. Cornell probably won’t be able to imitate that. But the similarities in approach make me nervous for an Ivy road game against a team that isn’t bad and has one very scary player.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32910
02-01-19 09:02 AM - Post#274346    

If we lose to Cornell, whatever the matchups, it will be a terrible coaching job. We should crush this team.
10Q
Professor
Posts 23564
02-01-19 09:30 AM - Post#274349    

And since we know that Donahue can coach, we should crush this team.
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8347
Streamers
02-01-19 10:02 AM - Post#274355    

• Charlie Fog Said:
I can see JS playing some good minutes against an athletic Columbia team.

Let’s not over think this. In the IMHO unlikely event Max can play more than a cameo, I do not think we see much of Jarrod unless our bigs get into foul trouble. That would be a recipe for an upset. I do think Kuba gets some time against Cornell if he hits a 3 early. He can stay with Boheim.

We need our bigs to crash the defensive boards, keep the ball moving on offense, especially if the C’s start packing the lane, and stay out of foul trouble. Even with Max cheerleading, look for a couple of good games from Wang and a sweep this weekend.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32910
02-01-19 10:06 AM - Post#274356    

Uh, Brodeur. Make them double him. Then we run it up.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6418
02-01-19 10:11 AM - Post#274360    

Bingo. How Cornell defends him will be interesting and could be key. Columbia could be another game (like Princeton) where both teams leave the centers playing one on one. I think that will play to our advantage overall, but probably means Tape scores some points on us.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 10:34 AM - Post#274368    

The threes may be hard to find tonight, since Cornell plays much better three point defense than they did last year. Dev is 7-36 since the LaSalle game and Antonio is 7-25 since Villanova, so I would not count on great three points shooting from them. Michael had some success last weekend, but he might do better from three on Saturday against Columbia. Kuba can certainly get hot as he did against Temple (4-6), but he was cold in his two other most recent appearances (1-6 vs Monmouth & 1-5 vs St. Joe's). He may also find better results on Saturday. If Penn is going to have success from three, it will be primarily be based on Bryce and Jake.

If the threes don't fall, then they will need to focus more on the inside. Since Cornell's inside defense is not as strong as it was with Gettings, I would expect Penn (mostly AJ, Dev and Antonio) to do well in this area. Columbia certainly did well in the 2nd halves of both games.

Defensively, Morgan will always get his points. Even if he is bottled up in the first half, he seems to finish in the low 20s by the end of the game. He tends to fill the stat sheet with 2s, 3s and FTs. If Penn can disrupt one aspect from the field or limit his FT attempts, they will have had a good night.

Boeheim is certainly doing much better this year, since he has moved away from the front court. He has 4 double digit games in his last 5 and really took it to Columbia in the 2nd half. I would hope that Penn's better inside defense will prevent him from having a huge night (he has had games of 20 vs Binghamton, 22 vs Columbia and 23 vs Delaware, but his other high games are 15 vs NJIT and 14 vs Towson).

Warren is playing better this year, but he is certainly not playing like Gettings. Since Cornell doesn't get a lot of points from McBride, Davis, Whiteside, and Julian, I think he and Boeheim will have to have really big nights on offense, if Cornell is to win.

If there are wild cards in this, it is Jack Gordon and Penn's FTs. Gordon came off the DL last Saturday and has the ability to get hot from outside. Penn's FT, of course, need no further explanations.

In the end, I feel Penn comes away with a much needed win and then gets ready to shoot some more threes at Columbia on Saturday.
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8347
Streamers
02-01-19 01:26 PM - Post#274397    

• palestra38 Said:
Uh, Brodeur. Make them double him. Then we run it up.

Hence my reference to packing the lane.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32910
02-01-19 01:29 PM - Post#274398    

A double is not the same as packing the lane. A double comes at him from the other side to get at the dribble. But unless they double, Brodeur should be able to score 30 on these guys. They don't have anyone to stop him.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 01:48 PM - Post#274403    

It's nice not to face Gettings (what happened to him at UofA?) and I agree we should win, I just get worried over how many times in a row we'll be able to hold back Morgan. The gameplans have been great in the past, but it's his last chance to get us at home and we need to play well and seal this thing.

1-1 is a necessity. 2-0 would be great. I figure they need to sweep at least 3 series' this year to get to where we want to be.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6418
02-01-19 01:58 PM - Post#274405    

Should be an interesting weekend re the standings. The road team will be the higher ranked team in every game, but there aren’t any games where I would be at all surprised by the home team winning.

Agree with P38 on paper about how we approach and where we have the advantage, but just uneasy about being 0-2, Morgan, and the Princeton similarities in some aspects of the matchup.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32910
02-01-19 02:00 PM - Post#274407    

That's the way I felt approaching Temple and St Joe's--not Cornell. If we cannot enforce our will against Cornell, we are not nearly as good as I think we are.
TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
02-01-19 02:05 PM - Post#274409    

SomeGuy, I agree with your analysis. I can see Boeheim giving us fits but we must stop Morgan. My preference is Woods on Morgan, which would leave Boeheim to a combination of Washington/Silpe/Wang. Failing that, Goodman on Morgan and Woods on Boeheim. Both Goodman and Silpe took a leap on the defensive end this year, I think we've been solid against guard oriented teams but size give us trouble especially with Wang and Rothschild's injury issues.

PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3590
02-01-19 02:16 PM - Post#274410    

We have 4 of the best on ball defenders in the league in Woods, Goodman, Silpe and Washington. There aren’t many in the league that go 4 deep at the guard spots on defense. I would feel comfortable with any of them guarding Morgan and likely most of them will get a shot.
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8347
Streamers
02-01-19 02:28 PM - Post#274412    

• palestra38 Said:
A double is not the same as packing the lane. A double comes at him from the other side to get at the dribble. But unless they double, Brodeur should be able to score 30 on these guys. They don't have anyone to stop him.

Yeah I get that but my point was that they could try to take any drives to the hoop AND make life difficult for AJ inside. I think either or both will work for Penn by enabling our guys to run their stuff outside.
LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
02-01-19 03:26 PM - Post#274419    

• palestra38 Said:

That's really nitpicking. Packing the lane makes that type of double much easier. You also see guards double down once the entry pass goes into the post. Both of those create opportunities if Brodeur kicks it out or passes in the lane. Sometimes he does; sometimes he shoots anyhow. Max was more effective at the interior pass, so doubling underneath might be a good strategy for Cornell. Either way, I think we win easily if we hit a few early outside shots to keep perimeter defenders honest.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32910
02-01-19 03:42 PM - Post#274420    

This is a game Brodeur should score well over 20 and we should not have to rely on 3 point shooting to win. We have a weapon they cannot stop and we need to use it. The last two games, Brodeur has shot 14-22 from 2 against bigger opponents. He's in excellent form right now and he's our best weapon by far in the Ivies. Now is the time to unleash him. That will open up the 3s to be wide open. But unless there is a guard swiping at the ball, I want Brodeur to take the shot.
TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
02-01-19 03:45 PM - Post#274422    

That's not the right way of looking at the game.

palestra38
Professor
Posts 32910
02-01-19 03:51 PM - Post#274423    

You mean it's not how you see it.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3590
02-01-19 03:54 PM - Post#274424    

If Cornell decides AJ isn’t going to score 20+, he won’t be able to and we will need to knock down shots and rotate the ball. AJ can score (put your number here) if they single cover him, but any team can limit AJ if they decide to take that strategy.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32910
02-01-19 03:59 PM - Post#274425    

Of course. But you have to force them to do that. I'm not saying AJ should force it through the double team--I am saying the opposite. But I doubt they will come out with a double team. And whenever he has single coverage, I want him to take it to the hoop.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-01-19 04:18 PM - Post#274426    

Yeah... I'm a Big AJ fan and dude is awesome, but there are teams that have shown it is possible to make him uncomfortable and get him off his game.

If they decide they have to stop him, they can, and that is when the other guys need to step up and hit 3's.

Earlier you said he should score 30 on them, then definitely more than 20, and that is just too much overconfidence for my taste.

AJ has scored more than 30 points just once in his entire career. This year he has scored more than 20 points, once (did score 20 in 3 others but you said more than 20).

So if our plan is to have AJ score 30 to win, not sure that is a great strategy. We need to play our team game just like we have most of the year, i.e. move the ball until a good shot regardless of who is shooting.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32910
02-01-19 05:05 PM - Post#274429    

You guys are just too literal. No, he does not have to score 30 for us to win---just that if they do not decide to double him and leave a man open on every play, he can score 30 against this team, who does not have a center who can match up with him. And I have full confidence that if they double him, Penn will move the ball to the open man.

I like Penn giving the 6
Cvonvorys
Postdoc
Posts 4526
Cvonvorys
02-01-19 05:23 PM - Post#274434    

Looks like Penn -6 1/2 on most sites now. I'm sure you like that even more...
TheLine
Professor
Posts 5597
02-01-19 05:32 PM - Post#274437    

Right on, PF10.

We have to play our game. If they can't guard AJ tight / don't double him then he will get his shots. But they probably will and others will need to make their shots.

Offensive has to do what they did against St. Joe's. Always look to make the extra pass.

Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-01-19 05:48 PM - Post#274439    

Yep agree with this. Just need to play our game and hit our shots. I'm confident in the team for sure also P38, but just don't need to go crazy with it.
Silver Maple
Postdoc
Posts 3783
02-01-19 05:57 PM - Post#274440    

• rbg Said:

Defensively, Morgan will always get his points. Even if he is bottled up in the first half, he seems to finish in the low 20s by the end of the game. He tends to fill the stat sheet with 2s, 3s and FTs. If Penn can disrupt one aspect from the field or limit his FT attempts, they will have had a good night.

I don't care if Morgan gets his points. I care if he's efficient. If he scores an inefficient 30, Penn almost certainly wins.
palestra38
Professor
Posts 32910
02-01-19 05:57 PM - Post#274441    

Again, if we cannot win this game, against what is probably the weakest team in the league, we're not nearly as good as I think we are. We must win this game.
Silver Maple
Postdoc
Posts 3783
02-01-19 06:00 PM - Post#274442    

• TheLine Said:
Right on, PF10.
We have to play our game. If they can't guard AJ tight / don't double him then he will get his shots. But they probably will and others will need to make their shots.

AJ has gotten much better this year at exploiting the double team. That will be a big key to success over the rest of the season.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3590
02-01-19 06:00 PM - Post#274443    

• palestra38 Said:
You guys are just too literal. No, he does not have to score 30 for us to win---just that if they do not decide to double him and leave a man open on every play, he can score 30 against this team, who does not have a center who can match up with him. And I have full confidence that if they double him, Penn will move the ball to the open man.

I like Penn giving the 6

Same page.

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 06:03 PM - Post#274444    

No Barry Leonard and Eric Taylor on the broadcast. Princeton's Noah Savage is doing the game.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 06:09 PM - Post#274445    

How to keep Cornell in the game:

1) Commit dumb unforced turnovers.

2) Blow layups.

Two of each in the first 4:13.

Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-01-19 06:10 PM - Post#274446    

SomeGuy wins... Woods on Boeheim and Goodman on Morgan.

Missed a few layups we should have hit, but moving the ball well.

Let's Go Quakers
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 06:13 PM - Post#274447    

Now consecutive possessions end in turnovers, one by Kuba, one on an ill-advised Dev-A.J. bounce pass in traffic.

Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 06:15 PM - Post#274448    

A.J. three momentarily halts the mistakes, but Woods comes right back with a terrible low percentage pass in transition which leads to a Morgan run out and foul the other way.

Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-01-19 06:16 PM - Post#274449    

Yeah, need to take better care of the ball here. 3's not falling at the moment.

Donahue just subbed the whole team so not super psyched either.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 06:17 PM - Post#274450    

I think the blown layup count is already up to at least 6.

Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-01-19 06:17 PM - Post#274451    

dude.. stop talking about Princeton and tell us what the hell is happening on the court
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 06:19 PM - Post#274452    

Some threes finally falling.

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 06:22 PM - Post#274454    

Penn is 5-11 from 3 and 1-6 from 2.

Cornell is 1-3 from 3 and 4-11 from 2.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 06:24 PM - Post#274455    

8 TOs in a little more than 10 minutes.

LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
02-01-19 06:27 PM - Post#274456    

Max dives on floor for loose ball and manages to pass it out of the scrum and pops right up on his feet. Very good sign for a guy with a bad back.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 06:27 PM - Post#274457    

8 turnovers and only 20 points in 22 possessions. The defense deserves the credit for Penn's lead.

1-6 on 2 point FG attempts.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 06:28 PM - Post#274458    

15 of 21 shots have been from 3 (and most of them have been open)

Penn shot more threes than twos in the previous two games for the first time all season. Was SD planning his strategy for this weekend?
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 06:29 PM - Post#274459    

• Stuart Suss Said:
8 turnovers and only 20 points in 22 possessions. The defense deserves the credit for Penn's lead.

1-6 on 2 point FG attempts.

Yeah, Morgan and Boeheim so far a combined 1-4, with a pair of 1-2 FTs for them.

Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 06:30 PM - Post#274460    

Dev blows another one at the rim.

Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 06:31 PM - Post#274461    

Great backdoor pass from Wang to Washington for the and-1.

LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
02-01-19 06:34 PM - Post#274462    

Jarred fouls Warren three times in a row. Ref calls the third one to set up potential three point play.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 06:36 PM - Post#274463    

Academy Award nomination for Morgan.

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 06:37 PM - Post#274464    

That's a nice fake job by Morgan.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 06:38 PM - Post#274465    

Phantom travel call on Brodeur. Referee baited by Cornell bench into calling it.

LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
02-01-19 06:38 PM - Post#274466    

Legit Bryce elbow to Morgan's chin, but no way intentional.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 06:39 PM - Post#274467    

Cornell in the bonus, while they have only had three fouls called against them.

The Quad
Sophomore
Posts 137
02-01-19 06:42 PM - Post#274469    

Penn has been called for 11 fouls.

Cornell only 3.

The Morgan chin play should have been a foul on Morgan--he was too close to Bryce.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 06:43 PM - Post#274470    

Nice alley-oop from Kuhn to Julian, but his response was a little too much for a team down 8.

Penn with 11 turnovers and Cornell with 8 points off turnovers.

Penn 7-17 from 3, 4-10 from 2, 1-1 FT
Cornell 1-3 from 3, 7-20 from 2, 5-11 FT
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 06:43 PM - Post#274471    

Good strong drive by Woods.

LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
02-01-19 06:46 PM - Post#274472    

Max again deflects a pass and dives flat out to try to save ball. He's looking pretty loose tonight. He then forces a miss underneath leading to a Penn d board. Great sign.
The Quad
Sophomore
Posts 137
02-01-19 06:49 PM - Post#274473    

Give Josh Warren credit. He is a way below average Ivy big, HS teammate of Ryan Betley.

I did not think he was a D1 player. He is having a great game this half.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 06:51 PM - Post#274475    

Max gets fouled on baseline inbound pass, no call.

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:05 PM - Post#274478    

Halftime Penn 37 Cornell 30

Penn
Shooting: 45% overall (14-31), 50% from 2 (6-12), 42% from 3 (8-19), 50% FT (1-2)
Rebounds 24 (7 offense, 17 defense)
Assists: 7 of 14 baskets (50%)
Turnovers: 12 (Cornell 8 points off turnovers)
Fouls: 12 (2 each for Goodman, Brodeur, Silpe and Simmons)

Washington 12 pts (1-1, 3-4, 1-1)
Goodman 10 pts (2-5, 2-4, 0-1)
Brodeur 7 pts (2-5, 1-2, 0-0)
Woods 5 pts (1-1, 1-2, 0-0)
Wang 0 pts (0-0. 0-2, 0-0) - does have 3 assists

Cornell
Shooting: 41% overall (11-27), 36% from 2 (8-22), 60% from 3 (3-5), 42% FT (5-12)
Cornell was 4-11 in the first half vs Columbia last week before going 15-16 in the 2nd.
Rebounds 14 (3 offense, 11 defense)
Assists: 6 of 11 baskets (55%)
Turnovers: 6 (Penn 3 points off turnovers)
Fouls: 6 (2 for Boheim)

Warren 15 pts (4-7, 2-2, 1-3)
Morgan 6 pts (2-3, 0-1, 2-4)
Julian 3 pts (1-3, 0-0, 0-0)
Boeheim 1 pt (0-3, 0-0, 1-2)
Davis 0 pts (0-2, 0-0, 0-0)
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-01-19 07:09 PM - Post#274479    

Overall good half - let's do it again! Let's Go Quakers!
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 07:09 PM - Post#274480    

And we start the half with yet another TO, sandwiched by two Cornell layups.

Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-01-19 07:10 PM - Post#274481    

Yikes, that was a BAAADDDD start. Good time out, reset and get it going again.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 07:13 PM - Post#274482    

The awful basketball continues.

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:15 PM - Post#274483    

Davis missed a slam for Cornell, followed by an atrocious 3 by Wang. This has been a rough half.

Hopefully, Dev hits FT
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 07:15 PM - Post#274484    

Blocked out baseline ref calls foul there’s no way he could have seen on Woods guarding Boeheim.

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:15 PM - Post#274485    

Dev goes 1-2. At least Penn gets on the board this half.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:17 PM - Post#274486    

AJ now 2-7 from 2. Penn's making Warren look like Gettings tonight.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 07:17 PM - Post#274487    

Lead blown.

Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 07:18 PM - Post#274488    

0-8.

Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 07:18 PM - Post#274489    

0-9.

Penn7277
PhD Student
Posts 1365
02-01-19 07:19 PM - Post#274490    

Just an awful start.

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:21 PM - Post#274491    

Cornell 41 Penn 38 w 15:44 to go

2nd half
Cornell 11pts: 4-5 from 2, 0-2 from 3, 3-4 FT
Penn 1 pt: 0-5 from 2, 0-4 from 3, 1-2 FT

Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 07:23 PM - Post#274492    

For #%$@ sake. Another unforced turnover by Silpe after A.J. gets an o-board.

Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 07:25 PM - Post#274493    

Antonio refuses to use the glass, blows the layup.

Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 07:25 PM - Post#274494    

Cornell strategy: drive, drive, drive.

Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 07:26 PM - Post#274496    

Another blown layup.

And Dev gets called for a charge.

Three straight blown opportunities in the paint.

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:26 PM - Post#274497    

Washington lets McBride get by him and foul him for the and-one. That's 3 for Washington and Cornell up 5.

Woods misses layup.

McBride basically does the same thing. Washington picks up foul #4 and Cornell is up 8.

Warren, Morgan, Boeheim and now McBride. Jeez!
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-01-19 07:27 PM - Post#274498    

OMG. How many layups can we blow?
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 07:27 PM - Post#274499    

A.J. forces, misses.

1-14.

Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 07:27 PM - Post#274500    

ESPN, embarrassed by Penn’s level of play, loses feed.

Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-01-19 07:28 PM - Post#274501    

Now playing completely tight and melting down
Penn7277
PhD Student
Posts 1365
02-01-19 07:28 PM - Post#274502    

I am so sick of missed layups!!!!!!!
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-01-19 07:28 PM - Post#274503    

Still lots of time, but may need a time out and just get heads back in the game.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:29 PM - Post#274504    

From play by play in absence of video feed:

Antonio Woods misses 3FG
Devon Goodman Offensive Rebound.
91Quake
PhD Student
Posts 1126
02-01-19 07:29 PM - Post#274505    

I think you mean open missed layups.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:30 PM - Post#274506    

Cornell 49 Penn 41 with 1217 to go

2nd half
Cornell 19 pts (7-10 from 2, 0-2 from 3, 5-6 FT)
Penn 5 pts (0-8 from 2, 1-7 from 3, 2-3 FT)

Rebounds
Cornell 11 (0-11), Penn 8 (4-4)
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:30 PM - Post#274507    

Devon Goodman 1-2 FT
Josh Warren missed Layup.
AJ Brodeur Defensive Rebound.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:31 PM - Post#274508    

Jake Silpe missed Layup.
AJ Brodeur Offensive Rebound.
AJ Brodeur made Layup.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 07:32 PM - Post#274509    

Chance to cut it to 3, per Gamecast PBP, and Antonio commits offensive foul.

Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-01-19 07:32 PM - Post#274510    

46-51 right now. Last play looks like maybe offensive foul on Woods and a TV timeout. 10:31 left...
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:33 PM - Post#274511    

Josh Warren made Jumper.
Michael Wang made Layup.
Josh Warren missed Jumper.
AJ Brodeur Defensive Rebound.
Antonio Woods Turnover.

Media TO at 10:31. Cornell leads 51-46.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 07:33 PM - Post#274512    

51-46 Cornell, 10:31 left, under 12:00 timeout.

rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:35 PM - Post#274513    

Morgan layup to make it 53-46.
Wang turnover (personal #4, team #17)
91Quake
PhD Student
Posts 1126
02-01-19 07:35 PM - Post#274514    

can we put woods on the bench already?
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:36 PM - Post#274515    

Wang dunk 9:43 to make it 53-48
Kuhn layup 9:29 to make it 55-48
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-01-19 07:36 PM - Post#274516    

48-55 9:28 left Penn ball.

Finding a way to score apparently, but not getting any stops
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:37 PM - Post#274517    

AJ FT at 9:07. 1-2
55-49
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 07:37 PM - Post#274518    

So fitting that they lose the feed on this awfulness. Better wake up quick. Bryce back in with 4 and immediately hits.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-01-19 07:38 PM - Post#274519    

Doesn't seem ESPN is getting feed back, playing half time report from before as far as I can tell.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:38 PM - Post#274520    

Bryce 3 at 8:43 55-52 Cornell
Penn7277
PhD Student
Posts 1365
02-01-19 07:38 PM - Post#274521    

SD's strategy is useless if they can't make layups and free throws.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:38 PM - Post#274522    

After Silpe had shot blocked, Bryce Washington for 3.
52-55.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 07:38 PM - Post#274523    

• Chip Bayers Said:
Cornell strategy: drive, drive, drive.

When you draw a foul every tine why not.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:39 PM - Post#274524    

8:31 Morgan FTs 2-2. Cornell 57-52
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:39 PM - Post#274525    

Devon fouls Morgan who makes both FT. 52-57.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:39 PM - Post#274526    

Wang for 3.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:39 PM - Post#274527    

Wang 3 at 8:17 Cornell 57-55
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:39 PM - Post#274528    

Bryce Washington fouls out at 8:01
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:39 PM - Post#274529    

Washington fouls out at 7:58
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 07:40 PM - Post#274530    

Bryce fouls out. I can’t. I just can’t. We’re tgey good calls early? 8 fouls?!?!
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:40 PM - Post#274531    

Gordon shooting FT at 7:58.
2-2
Cornell 59-55
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:40 PM - Post#274532    

Gordon shooting 1 and 1, makes both.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:41 PM - Post#274533    

Wang jumper at 7:45.
Cornell 59-57
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:41 PM - Post#274534    

Wang with 2 from baseline.
Julian missed shot. Ball to Penn.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 07:41 PM - Post#274535    

Can someone help me understand the insane foul disparity? I listened the whole ride home. Our guys seemed confused a lot. What is going on??
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:42 PM - Post#274536    

Media timeout at 7:31

Cornell 59-57

Penn 4-14 from 2, 3-9 from 3, 3-5 FT
Cornell 10-17 from 2, 0-3 from 3, 9-10 FT

Rebounds Penn 15, Cornell 11

This might come down to FTs. Fingers crossed!
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:42 PM - Post#274537    

57-59 7:31 media timeout.
LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
02-01-19 07:42 PM - Post#274538    

ESPNU technical difficulties. Whoever is getting info, please post!!!
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 07:42 PM - Post#274539    

Can we talk about this Mickey Mouse espn operation?
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:43 PM - Post#274540    

Both teams with 8 fouls this half.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 07:43 PM - Post#274541    

• LyleGold Said:
ESPNU technical difficulties. Whoever is getting info, please post!!!

990am. Find a radio. I’m listening through static.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:43 PM - Post#274542    

Before video feed was lost, Cornell appeared to be doing what St. Joe and Temple should have done - create defensive isolations and attack basket.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-01-19 07:43 PM - Post#274543    

Losing Washington hurts, but have ball with a chance to tie or take the lead. Let's Go Quakers!
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 07:44 PM - Post#274544    

Really?? So we’re at the line?
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:44 PM - Post#274545    

Silpe replaces Washington who has fouled out.
Wang recovers AJ fumble and lays it in. 59-59.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:44 PM - Post#274546    

That's what Cornell did at Columbia last weekend, once they realized their 3s weren't going in.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:45 PM - Post#274547    

Morgan makes 3.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:45 PM - Post#274548    

Wang to Brodeur for layup.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:45 PM - Post#274549    

Turnover Cornell, Wang with fast break 3.
Penn7277
PhD Student
Posts 1365
02-01-19 07:46 PM - Post#274550    

Is Penn up 1?

LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
02-01-19 07:46 PM - Post#274551    

Score?
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:46 PM - Post#274552    

Morgan responds with 3. Cornell 65-64 at 5:39. Brian Earl calls timeout for Cornell.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:46 PM - Post#274553    

Wang layup at 7:02 tie score
morgan 3 at 6:40. Cornell 62-59
Brodeur layup 6:19 Cornell 62-61
Wang 3 at 6:01 Penn 64-62
Morgan 3 at 5:40 Cornell 65-64
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:47 PM - Post#274554    

Good thing we have the game on the worldwide leader
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 07:47 PM - Post#274555    

Dev decided to double for no reason. Left Morgan open. Timeout.
LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
02-01-19 07:47 PM - Post#274556    

The 990 stream doesn't have the game. I may need to go to my car.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:48 PM - Post#274557    

Brodeur layup. Penn +1.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:48 PM - Post#274558    

AJ layup 5:19 Penn 66-65
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:49 PM - Post#274559    

McBride layup waived off. Woods with 4th foul, before the shot.

McBride from line: 2-2. Cornell +1.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:49 PM - Post#274560    

Woods foul (his 4th) at 5:02
McBride to the line. 2-2. Cornell 67-66
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:49 PM - Post#274561    

Brodeur layup and 1. FT pending.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:49 PM - Post#274562    

AJ laup at 4:39 Penn 68-67
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:50 PM - Post#274563    

Brodeur FT missed. Rebound Cornell.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:50 PM - Post#274564    

Warren commits his 3rd foul at 4:39
AJ FT good! 68-67

Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:50 PM - Post#274565    

Warren missed 3. Rebound Brodeur.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:51 PM - Post#274566    

AJ FT makes the 1st and misses 2nd 69-67 4:00 to go
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:53 PM - Post#274567    

ESPN play by play is inaccurate in terms of sequence, but score is correct. 69-67 Penn.

Foul Wang 3:56. Media timeout before Cornell free throws.
LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
02-01-19 07:53 PM - Post#274568    

I just walked two blocks to my parked car to listen to the last four minutes. They better win!!!
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:53 PM - Post#274569    

Penn 69-67 3:56

Penn 32 pts: 6-18 from 2, 4-10 from 3, 4-8 from FT
Cornell 37 pts: 10-17 from 2, 2-7 from 3, 11-12 FT
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 07:53 PM - Post#274570    

How in the hell can this happen? Cornell fault I guess? They already went to harvard. Must be done.
Penn7277
PhD Student
Posts 1365
02-01-19 07:53 PM - Post#274571    

They will, of course, make both of their free throws.

Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 07:54 PM - Post#274572    

#dedication
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 07:54 PM - Post#274573    

Just a silly foul says Stan.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 07:55 PM - Post#274574    

13-14 from line this half.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:55 PM - Post#274575    

Gordon from foul line: 2-2.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:55 PM - Post#274576    

Gordon FT.
Makes 1st 69-68
Makes 2nd 69-69
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:55 PM - Post#274578    

Wang turnover #5 at 3:36
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:55 PM - Post#274579    

Wang travels. Cornell ball. Tie score.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 07:56 PM - Post#274580    

Wang travel. No foul somehow.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:56 PM - Post#274581    

Missed 3. Defensive rebound AJ.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:56 PM - Post#274582    

Gordon misses 3 at 323 (AJ Rebound)
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 07:56 PM - Post#274583    

Dev airball is not what you want...
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:57 PM - Post#274584    

Goodman airball 3 pointer. Cornell rebound.
Goodman fouls Morgan. His 4th foul.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:57 PM - Post#274585    

Morgan from line: 1-2.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:57 PM - Post#274586    

Dev commits his 4th foul.

2:54 Morgan hits 1-2. Cornell 70-69
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:58 PM - Post#274587    

Wang with baseline jumper. Penn +1
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:58 PM - Post#274588    

Wang jumperd good 2:28
Penn 71-70
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:58 PM - Post#274589    

Warren layup from Morgan. Penn -1. 2:00
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:58 PM - Post#274590    

AJ fouled in act of hook shot.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 07:59 PM - Post#274591    

How in the world are they going to stop Morgan from taking over...
Penn7277
PhD Student
Posts 1365
02-01-19 07:59 PM - Post#274592    

He'll miss. Hack a Quack.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 07:59 PM - Post#274593    

5-12 from line. What a disgrace.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 07:59 PM - Post#274594    

AJ misses first FT, then misses short on second. Loose ball foul on Silpe.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 07:59 PM - Post#274595    

Gordon commits foul at 1:51.
AJ misses. Cornell 72-71
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 08:00 PM - Post#274596    

AJ 2-7 FT tonight
weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2144
02-01-19 08:00 PM - Post#274597    

I am incensed that ESPN's commentators aren't even bothering to give updates on our game.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 08:00 PM - Post#274598    

Boeheim misses 1st FT and hits 2nd.
Cornell 73-71
1:50 left
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 08:00 PM - Post#274599    

Missed FT for Cornell then make. Cornell +2. Kuba for Jake.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 08:01 PM - Post#274600    

This is a horrific loss coming. Horrific.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 08:01 PM - Post#274601    

Wang called for charge. His 4th foul 1:37. Max and Jake in for defense.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-01-19 08:01 PM - Post#274602    

Yeah, never a good place for this team if it is depending on AJ FTs, so that is unfortunate. I'm not sure the foul is what we needed either.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 08:01 PM - Post#274603    

Morgan is fouled driving to basket.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 08:02 PM - Post#274604    

Down 4. Lol
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 08:02 PM - Post#274605    

Morgan from line: 2-2. Cornell +4.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 08:02 PM - Post#274606    

1:24 Morgan to the line.
Hits both 75-71
weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2144
02-01-19 08:02 PM - Post#274607    

Oy.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 08:02 PM - Post#274608    

Goodman missed 3. Cornell rebound.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 08:03 PM - Post#274609    

This season just got VERY difficult. Way to go guys.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 08:03 PM - Post#274610    

Dev mises 3 at 1:13.

Morgan hits layup at 47 sec 77-71
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 08:03 PM - Post#274611    

Wang misses 3 at 27 sec.
Cornell 77-71
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 08:04 PM - Post#274612    

Morgan on drive to basket.
4 missed shots by Penn. Rebound Cornell. Desparation foul Penn.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 08:04 PM - Post#274613    

Dug themselves too deep a hole in the 2nd half, especially for a team that is not good at FTs
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 08:04 PM - Post#274614    

I hope they enjoyed the Big 5 title...I don’t care what transpired, this was inexcusable.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 08:04 PM - Post#274615    

1-2 fT. Cornell +7.
weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2144
02-01-19 08:04 PM - Post#274616    

• Quakers03 Said:
This season just got VERY difficult. Way to go guys.

Brutally difficult.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 08:05 PM - Post#274617    

Goodman missed floater. Rebound Cornell. Goodman fouls out.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 08:05 PM - Post#274618    

McBride made FT
78-71
Penn7277
PhD Student
Posts 1365
02-01-19 08:05 PM - Post#274619    

Absolutely disgusting performance!
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-01-19 08:05 PM - Post#274620    

Yeah, unfortunately that about does it. I have no words.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 08:06 PM - Post#274621    

Imegwu hits 2-2 FT for Penn. Finally, someone can do it.

78-73 Cornell
Penn7277
PhD Student
Posts 1365
02-01-19 08:07 PM - Post#274622    

This season is over.

Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 08:07 PM - Post#274623    

48 point half for Cornell.

Great job.

Gonna need a 2017-style backend of the Ivy schedule to sniff the tournament.

Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 08:08 PM - Post#274624    

Those were not Imegwu foul shots. They were two Cornell foul shots.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 08:08 PM - Post#274625    

Morgan 23
Warren 19
Boeheim 11
McBride 11 (his season high; the high before this was 7) he was averaging 3.7 heading into this game
weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2144
02-01-19 08:08 PM - Post#274626    

• Penn7277 Said:
This season is over.

I wish I didn't find it so easy to agree.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 08:09 PM - Post#274627    

Thanks Stu, the LiveStats sometimes has errors that get corrected a few seconds or minute later.
Penn7277
PhD Student
Posts 1365
02-01-19 08:10 PM - Post#274628    

Thanks, Stu, but I almost wish I'd stopped paying attention when the ESPN feed died.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 08:12 PM - Post#274629    

Steve has been outcoached in 3 straight ivy games. Not optimal. I cannot believe they gave up a 12-1 run to start that second half. Cannot believe it. If they think it gets any easier tomorrow with the officiating, it does not.

By the way, this league will NEVER be big time with these high school gyms that can’t even get a tv feed to work.

Good walk back Lyle? I got to deal with wife yelling...Not much better.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 08:12 PM - Post#274630    

• weinhauers_ghost Said:
  • Penn7277 Said:
This season is over.

Stop. This season is FAR from over.
dperry
Postdoc
Posts 2215
dperry
02-01-19 08:12 PM - Post#274631    

• weinhauers_ghost Said:
  • Penn7277 Said:
This season is over.

I'd hesitate to go that far, but certainly a game you'd like to win if you'd want to make the cut, and it means they have to come up big against Harvard and Yale now. Also troubling in how bad the D was
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

weinhauers_ghost
Postdoc
Posts 2144
02-01-19 08:14 PM - Post#274632    

The defense? Before the feed died it looked as if the offense had gone stone cold. We were getting shots inside and outside, and nothing was dropping.
Penn7277
PhD Student
Posts 1365
02-01-19 08:17 PM - Post#274634    

The missed foul shots and missed free throws are not going to change. That's two-thirds of SD's vaunted strategy. They are not going to win by depending on three-point shots.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 08:25 PM - Post#274636    

Cornell (2-1) 80
Penn (0-3) 71

Penn
Shooting: 41% overall (21-66); 15-32 from 2 (47%); 12-34 from 3 (35%); 5-12 from FT (42%)
Assists: 14 for 27 baskets (52%)
Rebounds: 47 (16 offensive, 31 defensive)
Offensive 36%; Defensive 91%
Turnovers: 19 (Cornell 15 Points Off Turnvoers)
Points in Paint: 36
Second chance points: 13
Fouls: 28

AJ 17 pts (6-12, 1-3, 2-7), 16 reb, 5 assists, 2 blocks
Wang 16 pts (5-5, 2-7, 0-0), 4 reb, 4 assists, 6 to
Washington 15 pts (1-2, 4-6, 1-1), 5 rebounds
Goodman 12 pts (2-5, 2-6, 2-4), 1 assist, 2 steals, 3 to
Woods 5 pts (1-5, 1-4, 0-0), 5 reb, 2 assist
Jake 0
Max 0 (4 minutes)

Cornell
Shooting: 46% overall (25-55); 20-42 from 2 (48%); 5-13 (39%); 25-36 from FT (69%)
Assists: 12 for 25 baskets (48%)
Rebounds: 31 (3 offensive, 28 defensive)
Offensive 9%; Defensive 64%
Turnovers: 9 (Penn 4 Points Off Turnvoers)
Points in Paint: 40
Second chance points: 2
Fouls: 17

Morgan 25 pts pts (5-7, 2-6, 9-12), 7 reb, 4 assists
Warren 19 pts (6-11, 2-3, 1-3), 8 reb
Boehem 11 pts (3-7, 0-0, 5-8)
McBride 11 pts (3-4, 0-0, 5-6)
dperry
Postdoc
Posts 2215
dperry
02-01-19 08:26 PM - Post#274637    

• weinhauers_ghost Said:
The defense? Before the feed died it looked as if the offense had gone stone cold. We were getting shots inside and outside, and nothing was dropping.

80 overall, 50 in the second half--not very good, even granted that Cornell has a couple of scorers.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 08:26 PM - Post#274638    

I will never understand how in 3 years AJ hasn’t been able to improve from the line and in fact almost certainly has a ft % under 50% close and late. You can’t survive that crap.
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 08:28 PM - Post#274639    

19 turnovers and 15-4 in pts off turnovers. Most weren’t even forced...

They better pull something out tomorrow or then we really can talk about a season maybe being over. This league is too good for another zombie Quakers run.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-01-19 08:32 PM - Post#274640    

• Quakers03 Said:
  • weinhauers_ghost Said:
  • Penn7277 Said:
This season is over.

Stop. This season is FAR from over.

The season is not over, but it is also not far from over. Before this loss (which frankly was already a must win), KenPom already had us missing the tournament and going 7-7...

We were predicted to win this game, and our chance to win was tied for the highest % chance of any of the away games. After this disaster, I imagine we'll be at prediction of 6-8. That doesn't get to the tournament and would be inexcusable for this Big 5 Championship team.

Honestly the game read like we were shocked they came hard out of the gate and then confidence melted. Same thing against Princeton. I just don't get it.

LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
02-01-19 08:35 PM - Post#274641    

• Quakers03 Said:

Good walk back Lyle? I got to deal with wife yelling...Not much better.

My feet are freezing. Definition of misery: Tramping through the snow of South Philly after the Quakers blow a double digit lead and probably the season.

Now I have the choice of watching Yale-Harvard (brutal) or Ralph Northam blackface talk (worse). Ugh.
Stuart Suss
PhD Student
Posts 1439
02-01-19 08:46 PM - Post#274643    

If the Penn statistics were not bad enough:

Free throw shooting was actually 5-13. Official stats currently omit a Goodman missed FT at 12:17.

Penn had 20 turnovers. Official stats currently omit the Wang turnover (offensive foul) at 1:37.

Penn7277
PhD Student
Posts 1365
02-01-19 08:49 PM - Post#274644    

I'm going to watch the Lego movie.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 10:25 PM - Post#274669    

Woods/Goodman/Silpe: 6-26, 3-13 from 3, 7 turnovers. Very hard to win when the top of your guard rotation is that bad, especially on 2s.

Wang negating his point production with 6 TOs of his own didn’t help either.

Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-01-19 10:28 PM - Post#274671    

Getting 0 from Max just hurts.

Columbia scored 43 tonight...
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-01-19 10:51 PM - Post#274679    

Yale crushed at Harvard, leaving Princeton the only unbeaten through 3 games of league play.

Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-01-19 11:05 PM - Post#274683    

Same issues we saw in the 4 game losing streak unfortunately... so many missed layups and 3s.

Washington continued to impress on offense but fouls killed him and kept him to 20 mins. If he plays 30 mins we have a much better chance to win.

It looked like the same lack of confidence in the Princeton game and playing with the fear of 0-3 that killed us beginning of second half... at least before video mercifully cut out for good. Nothing said that to me better than the wide open backdoor cut that Silpe paused and tried too hard to make (but still missed).

How we could be so confident against Big 5 and the opposite against the Ivy teams is beyond me.

Since Brown actually did figure out how to come back and win, we sit alone at last at 0-3. Season isn’t over but it’s a massive and difficult hole to dig out of...
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-01-19 11:07 PM - Post#274684    

Max seemed to be moving completely fine in the couple of minutes he got, so not quite sure why he didn’t play more honestly.
rbg
Postdoc
Posts 3068
02-01-19 11:43 PM - Post#274689    

https://www.thedp.com/article/2019/02/penn- mens-ba...

- "I thought we competed all night, but we just didn't execute," coach Steve Donahue said. "We had too many turnovers [and] missed shots at the rim." -

- "They drove the ball on us. We fouled way too much," Donahue said. "We've been able to limit penetration for most of the year. We limit it, but we foul." -

- Considering that Penn has lost its first three conference games in the midst of winning a Big 5 title, it might seem as though the Red and Blue are two different teams depending on the competition. However, Donahue doesn't think of them that way.

"Cornell's probably better than two teams in the Big 5," he said. "It's on their floor and they have one the best players in the League, so I don't think it's [like] Jekyll and Hyde." -

- On Saturday, the Quakers will try to end their Ivy League skid in another away game at Columbia.

"You learn and move on," Donahue said. "We need to stay together and figure out a way to use the next 22 hours to prepare to play our best game of the year." -
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-02-19 12:47 AM - Post#274697    

• rbg Said:

- Considering that Penn has lost its first three conference games in the midst of winning a Big 5 title, it might seem as though the Red and Blue are two different teams depending on the competition. However, Donahue doesn't think of them that way.

"Cornell's probably better than two teams in the Big 5," he said. "It's on their floor and they have one the best players in the League, so I don't think it's [like] Jekyll and Hyde."

I’m a massive fan of Coach Donahue and what he’s done to resurrect Penn Basketball, but this is 100%, completely wrong. In fact I think Coach Donahue is a very smart guy and buys into analytics, so I imagine he is saying this more for the psychology of his team rather than it being what he actually thinks.

Cornell is maybe, maybe better than La Salle. La Salle is KP 236 and Cornell is 233 but only after beating us. Before the game Cornell was 249, 13 spots worse than La Salle. That is the same La Salle team we blew out by 18 points away. The other three Big 5 teams are SIGNIFICANTLY better than Cornell.

Beyond this inaccuracy, all you have to do is look at our in league and out of league splits to see that it is absolutely a Jekyll and Hyde situation. Our in league offensive efficiency is 85.9, lowest of any Ivy team.

Let’s call it what it is... we lost 3 straight Ivy games that were all against teams rated worse than us and that’s tough to swallow. It’s also not just the offense - I’m still not sure how we gave up 50! points in the second half?
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6418
02-02-19 12:56 AM - Post#274698    

I don’t think the season is lost, nor do I think we are in a giant hole. With a win tomorrow and just one of the other three games going the right way, we’ll be a game off the pace with 10 to play. We still control our own destiny.

I think we match up better with Columbia.

Go Quakers.
UPIA1968
PhD Student
Posts 1122
UPIA1968
02-02-19 12:57 AM - Post#274699    

We now have more than enough evidence to understand this team. When the guards play well it is a very good team, quite a good team. Unfortunately, the guards, save for Bryce are not good enough offensively to play well every game. When thay regress a good team becomes an average team. The foul shooting then becomes a ruling factor just as we feared.

Over the last seven games, Penn is two and seven with only one of those losses to a team that was significantly favored. To make the tournament Penn needs to go 8-3 the rest of the way with at least 6 difficult games.

I am hoping for a major change in performance, ie, CONSISTENT play. There is no evidence that the talent can deliver that. Remember two years ago Ryan came off the injury list at about this time on fire. There is so such savior in the wings this year, unless Wang suddenly realized the performance that he may well display next year.

I said last week that the program has made progress this year in the significant Big Five performance. No team we have seeen in many years was capable of the very high level of play that we have seen six times this year. Still we lack the depth of talent to perform that way every night. Sadly with the injuries the fall off is dramatic when our point guards regress.

Tonight we saw the evidence of how the league has improved. Even a lower-ranked team has a stud like Morgan. That talent means that an off night when Penn commits 20 turnovers and misses more than half of its free throws it loses. Such are the requirements for winning a 14 game schedule now. Health willing, we have them next year. This year it looks like not.

Put differently, Morgan reminds us of what a stud guard looks like. The freshman Bryce is trending that way but not at that level yet. Antonio plays D that way. BUT, in sum, our backcourt lacks a star. Can we beat anybody in the league when our guards hit their threes and protect the ball? Yep. Can we depend on that kind of play for 8 or the remaining 11 games. 2-7 since Christmas suggests not. I am hoping for better. But the record suggests that hope will be in vain.

So we have a disappointing year, but still with a signal accomplishment, plenty coming back and oodles of talent coming in. I feel great about the program and am going to be watching the younger players, Wang and Bryce and Simmons and Kuba, et al. to look for signs of steady growth.

One final suggestion. What do you say we take up a collection to hire Herb McGhee to conduct a free throw shooting clinic this summer?
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8347
Streamers
02-02-19 01:00 AM - Post#274700    

This team may be mercurial (how’s that for putting it nicely?) but they are also resilient. If they go down, it won’t be quietly. Remember when they started 0-6?
UPIA1968
PhD Student
Posts 1122
UPIA1968
02-02-19 01:02 AM - Post#274701    

Question for the people how saw the games. In the men's game, the free throws were 13 for Penn and 36 for Cornell. In the women's game, it was 4 for Penn and 15 for Cornell. Remarkable home court advantage. Was the referring that bad or was it the year of the blue snow?
Quakers03
Professor
Posts 12533
02-02-19 02:38 AM - Post#274703    

Id like to see the Wang travel call that sounded like it should have been a foul. I’ll go the other way and ask why we foul so much. Earl obviously told them to be more aggressive at halftime and it sure worked.
Chip Bayers
Professor
Posts 7001
Chip Bayers
02-02-19 03:04 AM - Post#274705    

I think Earl saw the disparity in calls in the first half and said let’s take advantage of this crew: hero ball it into the lane regardless of your skill level or defender. Penn will play soft because they’ll be afraid of the whistles, and we’ll gain more than we lose when there is contact.

Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-02-19 04:38 AM - Post#274707    

SG - I explicitly said the season is not over and agree a lot of games left to play. Of course it’s early, but hard to argue this isn’t a large hole. There are no easy wins in league, we’re 0-3 with a tough turn around tomorrow and next week we play 2 of the other top 5 teams away on their courts. I do think we have the talent to get out of the whole, but they’ve got to find a way to find consistent offense in league. I hope they do!

Streamers - completely agree this team has fight and even today they showed some of that to get back in it, but there aren’t easy wins available like the 0-6 team had to make that Ivy Madness run possible. The next 3 games away are likely to heavily play into what this season can be. Hopefully the guys can dig deep and make a real run at it still.

Let’s Go Quakers
Charlie Fog
Masters Student
Posts 587
02-02-19 09:36 AM - Post#274717    

This stinks. Kind of glad the broadcast from Siberia cut off.
AsiaSunset
Postdoc
Posts 4370
02-02-19 09:37 AM - Post#274718    

I watched until ESPN cut out. Although we were in a position to win, the team was pretty awful on both sides of the ball. There is no way to get around that fact.

I hope tonight turns out better.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6418
02-02-19 09:48 AM - Post#274719    

No easy wins, and also 6-8 likely won’t do it this year. I think 11 wins (or even 10) wins the regular season, but I think at least 7 wins and more likely 8 or 9 will be needed to make the Ivy tournament. So this isn’t the season to start 0-6.

Streamers
Professor
Posts 8347
Streamers
02-02-19 10:22 AM - Post#274725    

Quick question: if our league opponents are abusing our defense by taking it down the lane, maybe SD should consider a zone (or zone+1 against guys like Morgan) as a change of pace?
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6418
02-02-19 11:46 AM - Post#274735    

I doubt we see that, because I think we are committed to defending the 3 point line aggressively. But what Cornell did there in the second half was find ways to keep AJ from being able to help inside. They were able to get guards isolated one on one with no help. Some of that was about Morgan. We were so worried about making sure there was help on his side that it left Boeheim, Warren, and McBride able to go one on one. And then eventually once that works for a while, we start worrying about the other guys, and that’s when Morgan goes to work. Kind of remarkable how well we defended him for much of the game, and in the end he still had a huge game.

LyleGold
PhD Student
Posts 1712
02-02-19 12:02 PM - Post#274738    

• Streamers Said:
This team may be mercurial (how’s that for putting it nicely?) but they are also resilient.

The problem is that our free throw shooting is hermetically sealed in a mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnall's porch.

(For those of you who know a little about classical mythology and remember Johnny Carson.)
Penn7277
PhD Student
Posts 1365
02-02-19 12:21 PM - Post#274740    

The key to defeating Penn seems to be: Let them should layups and foul them in crunch time to build a lead or catch up.

Tiger69
Postdoc
Posts 2819
02-02-19 12:48 PM - Post#274743    

Not looking forward to Cornell after your experience last night. Can’t recall who commented on the ischeduling “injustice” of Penn having already played both their P games. I have to echo that. We could sure use another Penn game now as I look at the rest of the league😜🐅.
Mike Porter
Postdoc
Posts 3619
Mike Porter
02-02-19 12:57 PM - Post#274744    

As long as none of your players got high last night and threw punches at cops at a WaWa, I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Oh wait, there isn’t really Wawa’s up there right?
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8347
Streamers
02-02-19 01:41 PM - Post#274748    

Perhaps it is time to revive the discussion around why Penn fares so much better OOC. I think it is quite clear now that it is all about preparation and subsequent execution. Ivy coaches (at least 2) have figured out the vulnerabilities of SD's offense in general and specifically by watching what PU did. They also have a second scheme in place depending on which end of the floor the 3's are falling (or not.)

Earl clearly learned from watching the PU video and had a plan when his guys could not (with one exception) buy a 3 for a half. He also knew that turning the 2nd half into a foul fest thinned out an already short-handed Penn team giving Morgan more room to do his end-game magic. Not sure exactly what they were doing defensively due to the ESPN meltdown, but it appears that forcing us to shoot bunnies and a few FTs was quite effective.
PennFan10
Postdoc
Posts 3590
02-02-19 01:52 PM - Post#274751    

Most of the time the other team’s strategy does not include counting on their opponent missing layups.

In what way are we short handed? Seems to me Cornell and Princeton both played better than we did. We gave up 50 pts in the second half and 36 FT’s for the game because we couldn’t defend without fouling. Our offense was good enough to win, 37 and 34 pts. Defense gave up 30 in first half and then they came out and took it to us (and the rim). We had no answer for McBride and Boeheim driving to the basket. As P38 said prior, this loss means we are just not as good as we all thought we might be.
pennsive
Junior
Posts 200
02-02-19 02:01 PM - Post#274752    

I watched Penn interruptus on TV yesterday followed by the Harvard mauling of Yale. Our best hope to get to the tourney now is to root for HYP every time they play somebody named Brown, Dartmouth, Cornell, or Columbia. If that happens tonight, we are only one game behind in reaching the fourth spot. Truth be told, right now, at least, we are not competitive with HYP; we really are missing Betley and Williams, and are getting much less than we hoped from Max or Wang. That is a recipe for disaster unless we find a consistent way to counter everyone's guarding the three point line against us and our inability to stop penetration when we are on defense. I have long been a fan, and I have repeated often on this board, that we need to change things up on offense about one-third of each game (i.e. we shouldn't be so reliant on shooting threes when we have less than optimal three point shooters on the floor and, compounding that, who also have to rush their shots to get them off) and on defense by using a zone. Cornell played cat and mouse with us, as did Princeton, by giving us different looks in the second half than they did in the first half. Then, when we got close, they foul our worst foul shooters to seal the deal. Final observation that I know won't happen because it is long gone: Rick Barry and many others made a living out of shooting fouls underhand. It takes the tension out of the arms and gives good rotation on the ball. If that is what it takes to become competent in that area for those players who are feeling the tension, or who only get to the line infrequently, would it upset some vast eternal plan to give that a try? It wouldn't hurt. See you at Levien, and Go Quakers.
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8347
Streamers
02-02-19 02:04 PM - Post#274754    

• PennFan10 Said:
Most of the time the other team’s strategy does not include counting on their opponent missing layups.

In what way are we short handed?

I was being sarcastic with that one, Earl got lucky there. He had no choice but to have his guys come out on Penn when the 3's were going down early.

As for short-handed: Max only plays 4 minutes - don't underestimate the significance of that. Washington fouls out early; Goodman late - great for Morgan - Jarrod was ineffective - Wang and Woods are forced to play soft.

How do you see tonight playing out?

SteveChop
PhD Student
Posts 1156
02-02-19 03:02 PM - Post#274762    

While the refereeing was terrible, especially the one guy, it is hard to win a game when you commit 20 turnovers (even if approx. 5 of those were "offensive fouls"), 5-13 from the foul line and quite a number of missed layups. We had SIXTEEN offensive rebounds yet got only 13 points from them. I do agree that the foul trouble did affect our defense but time after time it seemed as if we let a Cornell player make penetration and, combined with the foul situation, had an easier time to either score or get fouled.

Hopefully, things will go better tonight in Harlem.
Penn7277
PhD Student
Posts 1365
02-02-19 03:15 PM - Post#274764    

"Most of the time the other team’s strategy does not include counting on their opponent missing layups."

Except our guys have proved on numerous occasions that they miss a lot of bunnies, especially the guards.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6418
02-02-19 03:16 PM - Post#274765    

Agreed our offense was good enough.

With apologies to Jeff, i’d Like to see more of Max. He’s healthy enough to play and dive around. He must be healthy enough to play 15-20. That would have helped a lot in these games. Despite the fact that we won the league last year, I think we had less experience on the court than our opponent last night, and it showed. So his experience is a plus. And we needed to find ways to help inside as Cornell worked to keep AJ out of there. Wang and Simmons just didn’t seem to be able to do it. Maybe Max wouldn’t either, but his experience and savvy might have helped.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6418
02-03-19 01:05 PM - Post#274919    

On the HYP thing, I actually think we match up better with Harvard and Yale than we do with some of the lower ranked Ivy teams. We’ll see, but I expect us to look more like our OOC selves when we play them.
Streamers
Professor
Posts 8347
Streamers
02-03-19 03:48 PM - Post#274935    

• SomeGuy Said:
On the HYP thing, I actually think we match up better with Harvard and Yale than we do with some of the lower ranked Ivy teams. We’ll see, but I expect us to look more like our OOC selves when we play them.

I think you may be onto something there, but I expect both teams to be well prepared for Penn unless SD starts mixing things up schematically a bit at both ends.
SomeGuy
Professor
Posts 6418
02-03-19 03:52 PM - Post#274936    

For anyone wanting to torture themselves on a Sunday, you can watch the last 5+ minutes of the Cornell game in the ESPN+ archive. They got the video and commentary back (though no graphics or score). Of course, the part that is missing is Penn coming back to take the lead, so none of the good parts for Penn, and all of the pain.

While I personally think the Defense was the problem this weekend, the last 5 minutes at Cornell support Stu’s points about the offense. We led 69-67 with 4:06 left and got one more basket at 2:28. Through that whole period, we looked out of sorts on offense. Some of that is probably just that we had to change the approach to come back — Michael was in the low post more, which was working, but also seemed to result in an unusual number of plays where guys ended up in the same spaces, etc. We just didn’t look nearly as fluid as we usually do playing that way.

We did see Wang at the 3 briefly (no idea if we saw it more during the comeback) and quite a bit of offense/Defense with Wang/Max. Only downside is you lose some chances to get Mike in transition when you do that.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.017 seconds.   Total Queries: 7   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:44 PM