Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Username Post: Brown
Eric Von Zipper
Senior
Posts 343
02-09-19 09:19 AM - Post#275638    

Opens Bruno -1 1/2
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
02-09-19 01:41 PM - Post#275663    

Who will Stephens guard this evening. May be different players at different times -- Cambridge, Okolie, and/or Choh. Stephens will probably come out pretty intense from the first second. Arirguzoh is going to have to play protect the rim when the above 3 Brown players go to the rim.

There are match up issues for both teams. The Tigers may not want to play the rapid pace of Brown but who knows. Cannady and Llewellyn will have to make some noise this evening and Arirguzoh should be attacking the rim.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3634
02-09-19 01:46 PM - Post#275664    

Win or lose, we'll be in good shape. Ah, the benefits of starting 4-0 with 3 road wins and a sweep of Penn...

It's all about making the Ivy Tourney and winning it, and now that Cannady is back, I feel good about our squad again. He started to shake off the rust in the 2nd half against Yale, but he might need one more game to find his form.

Honestly, a 4-2 start after only 1 home game is an outcome I would have taken in a heartbeat before league play.
westcoast
Senior
Posts 302
02-09-19 02:28 PM - Post#275673    

I think Stephens will start on Cambridge. Cambridge has gotten off to a slow start in Ivy League play, and I think the Tigers need to make sure that continues.
Eric Von Zipper
Senior
Posts 343
02-09-19 02:33 PM - Post#275675    

Betting line swinging Princeton's way.

Either pick-em or Princeton -1.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
02-09-19 02:47 PM - Post#275676    

Cannady return?

Llewellyn may spend some time on Cambridge if Stephens moves over to Okolie or Choh.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4894
02-09-19 05:09 PM - Post#275692    

Given the way these teams have been playing, a rock fight might be in store. The Tigers would get a huge payoff from improved three-point shooting, because the inside attack is causing defenses to contract. Yale had two and three guys converging on drives to the hoop many times.
1LotteryPick1969
Postdoc
Posts 2261
1LotteryPick1969
02-09-19 07:48 PM - Post#275698    

Watching on the Southwest feed--keeps freezing and losing connection. Nice start; got ugly fast.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3634
02-09-19 07:50 PM - Post#275699    

Got way too comfy after a 20-8 start. Brown demolished our non-existent defense while not making any TOs for the final 10 minutes of the half. Down 47-35 at the half.

Let's see if the guys can tighten up on D and make a comeback. On the bright side, Devin seems to have shaken off the rust tonight. Like I said before the game, 4-2 after starting league play with 5/6 road games is fine with me. Some good learning experiences this weekend.
whitakk
Masters Student
Posts 523
02-09-19 08:04 PM - Post#275701    

Wow that changed in a hurry. I don't really feel that bad about the half, Brown is a streaky team that got hot.

Aririguzoh needs to learn how to pass out of the double-team, but that's a good problem to have. Princeton's getting killed by its bench, which is more worrisome.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3634
02-09-19 08:27 PM - Post#275703    

Brown is a much better team than 1-4 -- they were due for a scorching hot game, esp. at home. My only real problem is that we're playing too fast a pace, even with Cannady back.

I liked our "ugly" Butler-esque style. We're not gonna win a track meet with our current roster. Gotta slow it down and run more grind-it-out plays from the post, whether it's Aririguzoh or Stephens.
gokinsmen
Postdoc
Posts 3634
02-09-19 09:02 PM - Post#275713    

Nice comeback effort, but the game was lost in the 1st half when they got into a track meet in a road game. Should have slowed it down like they did in the 2nd half. Max Johns gave us some good minutes though.

This team plays best when they slow it down and grind it out. Aririguzoh only had 3 FGAs, all of which he made. That's unacceptable. Feed him constantly in the post, slow down the pace. I don't even mind him forcing shots in traffic -- he'll get FTs and make them.

But hey, we're 4-2 with 4 straight home games coming up! I'll take it.
westcoast
Senior
Posts 302
02-09-19 09:10 PM - Post#275718    

I think they did try to feed Aririguzoh on almost every possession, but Brown did a great job of double-teaming him as soon as he got the ball. He had some trouble with that, and of course, the open shooters weren't making their shots.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4894
02-09-19 09:45 PM - Post#275736    

Frustrating game. The Tigers shot a little bit better from outside than they had, but still not too well and passed up at least four good open looks from the arc. Stephens couldn't finish and couldn't get a call when he was hit. Aririguzoh had trouble coping with the double teams. Morales alternated great plays with bad ones. Llewelyn interred a fair number of possessions with hopeless drives into a sea of shot-blockers--he either needs to learn to float it or pass it out when he gets in there. Cannady looked more like his old self and really was very good driving the ball and hustling on D, but didn't give Princeton the explosion it needed from outside. Schweiger non-existent. Much exposed on D and didn't do much on offense. Desrosiers looked pretty good in limited minutes. Johns impressed me, especially with his on-ball defense--that dude really gets and stays in a stance.

One global concern in games like this is how much bad isolation play (where it's not even that isolated because the help comes over in the lane or at the rim) Princeton shows at critical times on possession after possession. It's not even drive and kick. It's drive and flail. It's pretty sad when I get nostalgic watching highlights of Wofford showing beautiful off-ball movement and passing out of the high post. Contested, desperate mid-range jumpers and low-percentage takes at the rim constituted far too much of the offense, although the offensive rebounding off these clunkers was quite good.

The other global concern was the return of inconsistency on defense. There were plenty of good-to-great possessions, but all too many where a guy was given too much space or an assignment was blown on a switch. Choh and Okolie and that guy off the bench were too good to afford giving them that much help.

A decent number of turnovers were forced, and on the whole, the mission of containing Cambridge was accomplished, despite a couple of flashy buckets for him--he took a number of high-degree-of-difficulty jump shots and missed most of them. So it wasn't a defensive disaster, but Princeton can do better than that.
Go Green
PhD Student
Posts 1124
02-09-19 10:33 PM - Post#275748    

Cue the stats guys who think that "Princeton is a better team without Cannady."

I mean, that's what they were saying when Bourdreaux left Dartmouth right?

bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
02-09-19 11:05 PM - Post#275761    

Disappointing weekend - Tigers let both Yale and Brown to go off on extended 1st half runs. Coach needs to figure out how to stop the bleeding with better shot selection.

Once the schedule was released, this weekend appeared to be the most challenging weekend of the season with road games against one very good team and one good team.

After six games, it appears that there is one very good team in the IL although they played 5 of their first six games at home. After that, there seems to be several good teams, 3-5, that have various holes and weaknesses. The question becomes can any of these teams get better in order to challenge Yale. One or two of the second group of teams run the risk of not even participating in IvyMadness if they do not get their act together.

The league is indeed competitive although there is not a lot of "pretty" basketball.
SRP
Postdoc
Posts 4894
02-09-19 11:25 PM - Post#275763    

Harvard did nuke Yale at home. But Yale is probably the better team and may get to prove it with a three-game series.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
02-10-19 09:17 AM - Post#275778    

Harvard is probably the 2nd best team in the league even though they nuked Yale. The Crimson could easily be 3-3 or even 2-4 after this weekend. They obviously have offensive issues with taking care of the ball but they could well get their act together over the remainder of the season. They are not losing simply because the other team is shooting the ball well. After Amaker's comments last night night, they may come into Jadwin next weekend with a chip on their shoulder plus healthier players.

Brian Earl and his crew is causing trouble once again and perhaps Cornell will bounce Penn, Princeton or Harvard. He has done a remarkable coaching job which is not a surprise.

Many of these games have been extremely close other than the games played by Yale which probably says something.
Eric Von Zipper
Senior
Posts 343
02-10-19 03:43 PM - Post#275812    

The computer in the cloud sez……

Regular Season Record Projection

Current Record 12-7

Projected Final Record 17-10 (9-5 Ivy)

The more precise final record expectation for Princeton is 16.7 wins and 10.3 losses, slightly worse than the rounded projection above.

Based on our projections, the Tigers will most likely finish the regular season with a record between 18-9 and 16-11.

Princeton has a 1% chance to win all 8 of their remaining scheduled games.
bradley
PhD Student
Posts 1842
02-11-19 08:36 PM - Post#275976    

Very important game Friday night for the Tigers not that Saturday night is a slam dunk. Winner of Friday night's game geets a huge shot in the arm not only regarding the record but potential tie breakers.

Should be a great battle; especially Richmond and Lewis. Should be a tight point spread.

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.247 seconds.   Total Queries: 15   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:16 PM